Sign in to follow this  
oneshyfilly

what are some good english saddles?

To xXJumpin_JennaXx

I have a curiosity quesiton, why are HDR saddles not allowed at your barn? I gather you are at a barn that is 3 day eventing mostly.

Have a GREAT week.

To xXJumpin_JennaXx

I have a curiosity quesiton, why are HDR saddles not allowed at your barn? I gather you are at a barn that is 3 day eventing mostly.

Have a GREAT week.

My two cents-- get a used Stubben Siegfried. They are super comfy, secure, and have fit every horse I've seen them on. You can get a used one for around $300 I think. I wanted one badly but ended up with a used Crosby close contact off E-bay for $200. It fits my horse and me, but it was made before padding was invented *_*

My two cents-- get a used Stubben Siegfried. They are super comfy, secure, and have fit every horse I've seen them on. You can get a used one for around $300 I think. I wanted one badly but ended up with a used Crosby close contact off E-bay for $200. It fits my horse and me, but it was made before padding was invented *_*

I bought a used Passier Jump for $400 great deal... just needed some cleaing and $20 worth of stiching.... not bad at all. That would be my first choice ... they last a life time... my horse just rolled on mine and its still all good.

I bought a used Passier Jump for $400 great deal... just needed some cleaing and $20 worth of stiching.... not bad at all. That would be my first choice ... they last a life time... my horse just rolled on mine and its still all good.

I reccomend Pesoas or Crosby's. But no-name brand saddles work well too. I got a used excellent condition all purpose english saddle offa ebay for $25!!! I suggest you try ebay if you want a good deal! But you hafto be careful of who you're buying from.

I reccomend Pesoas or Crosby's. But no-name brand saddles work well too. I got a used excellent condition all purpose english saddle offa ebay for $25!!! I suggest you try ebay if you want a good deal! But you hafto be careful of who you're buying from.

Dont get a kincade they are as hard as a rock and the dye rubs off quickly, u can always get a Dover circuit for around $700-800, my trainers friend has a Stubben she lets me ride in it is amazing im sure you can get a used one for around that price, but circuits are a good choice for new saddles in your price range and used look at stubbens or crosbys

Dont get a kincade they are as hard as a rock and the dye rubs off quickly, u can always get a Dover circuit for around $700-800, my trainers friend has a Stubben she lets me ride in it is amazing im sure you can get a used one for around that price, but circuits are a good choice for new saddles in your price range and used look at stubbens or crosbys

I personally like Collegiate saddles a LOT. My suggestion is to take your $900 and buy a used saddle. You can get a lot better quality used saddle than new for the same price or even less. Both my saddles are collegiates and were bought used. They were both like new except already broken in for me :-) and are still in amazing condition after a while of every day use. I've had one for several years now.

I personally like Collegiate saddles a LOT. My suggestion is to take your $900 and buy a used saddle. You can get a lot better quality used saddle than new for the same price or even less. Both my saddles are collegiates and were bought used. They were both like new except already broken in for me :-) and are still in amazing condition after a while of every day use. I've had one for several years now.

quote:

Originally posted by oneshyfilly:

Buying an used saddle, I can never really be sure how well it's been kept and I've heard that with some used saddles, the tree can be compromised...so for me, it's just that I would know what's happened with the saddle from the very beginning that's all. I really don't care about looks.

Inspecting the saddle when you're looking at it and/or the saddle arrives will take care of that worry. You can tell when the tree has been seriously compromised. And as far as them not being taken care of, you can easily see what kind of care they have received just by the condition they're in. My saddles both look brand new except for the normal rubbing where the stirrup leathers are.

quote:

Originally posted by oneshyfilly:

Buying an used saddle, I can never really be sure how well it's been kept and I've heard that with some used saddles, the tree can be compromised...so for me, it's just that I would know what's happened with the saddle from the very beginning that's all. I really don't care about looks.

Inspecting the saddle when you're looking at it and/or the saddle arrives will take care of that worry. You can tell when the tree has been seriously compromised. And as far as them not being taken care of, you can easily see what kind of care they have received just by the condition they're in. My saddles both look brand new except for the normal rubbing where the stirrup leathers are.

quote:

Originally posted by horses forever:

To xXJumpin_JennaXx

Have a GREAT week.

Probably for the same reason all the trainers around here dont let their students buy them when they shop for new saddles. HDRs dont fit horses well, they are just.... junk, IMO (dont flame me, thats the verdict on ALL HDRs here which is why NOBODY I know had one. If they had one, the trainers made them unload them and go with a different saddle).

My experience? Some people hate the slightly harder seat, but I'd highly reccomend a used stubben. Their resale value is wonderful and they hold up for YEARS. I'll also highly reccomend Courbette, I'm surprised it hasnt been mentioned yet. My sister has a Vision XL model (I've also ridden in the regular Vision) and it's a FABULOUS saddle. Really holds your leg in place, but those DONT run cheap. A used one is usually about $1000.

quote:

Originally posted by horses forever:

To xXJumpin_JennaXx

Have a GREAT week.

Probably for the same reason all the trainers around here dont let their students buy them when they shop for new saddles. HDRs dont fit horses well, they are just.... junk, IMO (dont flame me, thats the verdict on ALL HDRs here which is why NOBODY I know had one. If they had one, the trainers made them unload them and go with a different saddle).

My experience? Some people hate the slightly harder seat, but I'd highly reccomend a used stubben. Their resale value is wonderful and they hold up for YEARS. I'll also highly reccomend Courbette, I'm surprised it hasnt been mentioned yet. My sister has a Vision XL model (I've also ridden in the regular Vision) and it's a FABULOUS saddle. Really holds your leg in place, but those DONT run cheap. A used one is usually about $1000.