Sign in to follow this  
ryde2rope

Girth size question

[Question] I aquired an English saddle and was wondering .. how far up under the saddle flaps should the girth buckle. Is it better to have it in the shorter holes (closer to seat) or in the bottom holes of the billets. I have a girth with the saddle but I think it is too long as it buckles all the way up under flaps . What is the average placement of girth buckles and how would I measure for a new one ? ( mid-billet to mid-billet??? [Confused]

Thanks in advance !!! [Jump]

[Question] I aquired an English saddle and was wondering .. how far up under the saddle flaps should the girth buckle. Is it better to have it in the shorter holes (closer to seat) or in the bottom holes of the billets. I have a girth with the saddle but I think it is too long as it buckles all the way up under flaps . What is the average placement of girth buckles and how would I measure for a new one ? ( mid-billet to mid-billet??? [Confused]

Thanks in advance !!! [Jump]

I was taught that if it can't go higher then the third from the bottom of the billet. To mesure for a new one if you mean buying a new one there are usually sizes on the girth, if it is leather just get a smaller size. If you just want to get a new one from the tack room just hang it up and mesure up aganist another one and find a longer or shorter depending. Good Luck!

I was taught that if it can't go higher then the third from the bottom of the billet. To mesure for a new one if you mean buying a new one there are usually sizes on the girth, if it is leather just get a smaller size. If you just want to get a new one from the tack room just hang it up and mesure up aganist another one and find a longer or shorter depending. Good Luck!

an ideal fit there should be atleast 1 hole below the buckle and atleast 2 holes above the buckle...there may be more in any area, but those are the minimums for it to be safe and proper

an ideal fit there should be atleast 1 hole below the buckle and atleast 2 holes above the buckle...there may be more in any area, but those are the minimums for it to be safe and proper

Well my trainer likes me to use flece girths cuz the horses get sores otherwise, but she likes us to struggle gettin the girth on the 1st hole like havin it one size to small so the girth can sit in the middle of the billets on both sides, just make sure you have atleast 3 holes left on each side

Well my trainer likes me to use flece girths cuz the horses get sores otherwise, but she likes us to struggle gettin the girth on the 1st hole like havin it one size to small so the girth can sit in the middle of the billets on both sides, just make sure you have atleast 3 holes left on each side