Sign in to follow this  
jumper42

Test dummy

I've been riding horses that aren't good listeners and i'm supposed to help them understand what to listen to and what to listen to. I've been doing this for about a year. In the begining i thougth it would be fun. Until recently it was. But recently i've been feeling more like a test dummy then a rider. My instructor said that i can ride a horse she is working with when she is done working with her but i don't know when that will be. I love riding but now it is feeling more like a job. Any advice one what to do.

I've been riding horses that aren't good listeners and i'm supposed to help them understand what to listen to and what to listen to. I've been doing this for about a year. In the begining i thougth it would be fun. Until recently it was. But recently i've been feeling more like a test dummy then a rider. My instructor said that i can ride a horse she is working with when she is done working with her but i don't know when that will be. I love riding but now it is feeling more like a job. Any advice one what to do.

Perhaps instead of doing the same things with the same horse, you could make it fun and do different stuff with them. If they aren't good listeners, make up different games or something that are fun for you, but will help teach the horse to listen.

For instance, if it's hard to get them to stop, you could set up a bucket in the middle of the arena, and put brushes on the rails at the end of the arena. If you don't have rails, however, then you could put another bucket at the end. In this bucket, you can put the brushes and things in it. Walk the horse to the bucket at the end with the things in it, or to the rails with the stuff on it. Ask it to stop, and reach for the things on the rail, or dismount to reach into the bucket. Grab something from the bucket, get back on the horse, and walk to the bucket in the middle. You could drop the item into the bucket or dismount and put it in.

So not only are you teaching it to stop with a little more fun for you and the horse, you can teach it to stand still while you mount, and not to be as afraid of things that make loud sounds when they land in the bucket. Also this is a non stressful way to get it to stop. Like in a how, if you were to ask it to stop, and it didn't, I don't know about you, but I would FREAK out [Razz] , and then get stressed even more. So this is a nice friendly environment for both of you.

Also, to just make it more interesting, you could mount on the opposite side when you have gotten the item from the bucket, and dismount from there too. Back and forth from the near side to the far side. You could even add more buckets to put things in in a whole bunch of different places, just so the horse won't get into that rythym where they know the pattern because it is exactly the same. It might be fun to get some cones to weave through to help the horse with flexibility. eventually you can move up to faster gaits when the horse is ready.

I don't know if stopping is one of the things that one of the horses isn't good at, but perhaps you could post some things that they don't listen to. And when you get into those lulls of "Geez, not another day," you could put this game on the list, and test out all of their skills.

I hope this helps, have fun.

Perhaps instead of doing the same things with the same horse, you could make it fun and do different stuff with them. If they aren't good listeners, make up different games or something that are fun for you, but will help teach the horse to listen.

For instance, if it's hard to get them to stop, you could set up a bucket in the middle of the arena, and put brushes on the rails at the end of the arena. If you don't have rails, however, then you could put another bucket at the end. In this bucket, you can put the brushes and things in it. Walk the horse to the bucket at the end with the things in it, or to the rails with the stuff on it. Ask it to stop, and reach for the things on the rail, or dismount to reach into the bucket. Grab something from the bucket, get back on the horse, and walk to the bucket in the middle. You could drop the item into the bucket or dismount and put it in.

So not only are you teaching it to stop with a little more fun for you and the horse, you can teach it to stand still while you mount, and not to be as afraid of things that make loud sounds when they land in the bucket. Also this is a non stressful way to get it to stop. Like in a how, if you were to ask it to stop, and it didn't, I don't know about you, but I would FREAK out [Razz] , and then get stressed even more. So this is a nice friendly environment for both of you.

Also, to just make it more interesting, you could mount on the opposite side when you have gotten the item from the bucket, and dismount from there too. Back and forth from the near side to the far side. You could even add more buckets to put things in in a whole bunch of different places, just so the horse won't get into that rythym where they know the pattern because it is exactly the same. It might be fun to get some cones to weave through to help the horse with flexibility. eventually you can move up to faster gaits when the horse is ready.

I don't know if stopping is one of the things that one of the horses isn't good at, but perhaps you could post some things that they don't listen to. And when you get into those lulls of "Geez, not another day," you could put this game on the list, and test out all of their skills.

I hope this helps, have fun.

Well, this exercise could help if you just add in some cones in between the buckets that you go to. You could also add some circle pattern to it, like go around the buckets a couple times or something. When you turn, you could switch on and off with your legs and your rein.

Well, this exercise could help if you just add in some cones in between the buckets that you go to. You could also add some circle pattern to it, like go around the buckets a couple times or something. When you turn, you could switch on and off with your legs and your rein.