Sign in to follow this  
Jumpinjack

German Martingales?????

I'm primarily a western trail rider at home, but since I've been at college I've been taking jumper lessons. The barn I ride at uses german martingales on several of the horses. What is the purpose of the german martingale? Is it primarily a jumper thing?

I'm primarily a western trail rider at home, but since I've been at college I've been taking jumper lessons. The barn I ride at uses german martingales on several of the horses. What is the purpose of the german martingale? Is it primarily a jumper thing?

a German martingale is the most complicated of all the martingales. it is used to keep your horse from over flexing and to teach them to respond to bit pressure. when the horse is correctly responding to bit pressure the martingales has no effect on him but when he raises his head/neck the martingale puts direct pressure on the bit teaching him to lower his head.

hope helps. good luck.

a German martingale is the most complicated of all the martingales. it is used to keep your horse from over flexing and to teach them to respond to bit pressure. when the horse is correctly responding to bit pressure the martingales has no effect on him but when he raises his head/neck the martingale puts direct pressure on the bit teaching him to lower his head.

hope helps. good luck.

A german martengale pretty much takes the guess work out of it for you. As you already know since you have used one, it runs through your bit and then back towards your horse and attatches to the reins. I find these very easy to use and when I have a horse that I ride for a client that I ride in draw reins, I most often have them ride the horse in a german martengale (because there is no way to screw up, you set the legnth and just ride) Where as draw reins you can really mis-use and do a lot of damage if you dont know what your doing. A german martengale and a running martengale are very similar, but like I said before a german takes all of the guess work out of it when your horse gets over/under the bit he hits the martengale and it encourages him to put is head back down. A running martengale however the more you shorten your reins the more their head comes in because that martengale is also getting shorter, when mis-used can also do some damage. One of my clients jumpers gets schooled by me in draw reins, schooled by his junior in a German Martengale and then shown in a running martengale. They all work hand in hand, you just have to know how to use them and what they are all used for, and not to over use them. MARTENGALES AND DRAW REINS ARE NOT DESIGNED TO HOLD YOUR HORSES HEAD DOWN, AND SHOULD NEVER BE USED BY THE IGNORANT THAT THINK THIS IS TRUE. MARTENGALES AND DRAW REINS ARE DESIGNED TO HELP YOU ENCOURAGE YOUR HORSE TO KEEP HIS HEAD AND NECK IN THE CORRECT POSITION AND TO REMIND HIM WHEN IT IS TO HIGH OR TOO LOW. NEVER HOLD YOUR HORSES FACE TO HIS CHEST. Its not just asking your horse to put his head down. It has to come from behind. Your horse has to engage his hind end round through his back and thus drop his head and neck and really soften his jaw. Thats what these tools are designed for, but you have to ride to get the result, they are not going to do it for you.

A german martengale pretty much takes the guess work out of it for you. As you already know since you have used one, it runs through your bit and then back towards your horse and attatches to the reins. I find these very easy to use and when I have a horse that I ride for a client that I ride in draw reins, I most often have them ride the horse in a german martengale (because there is no way to screw up, you set the legnth and just ride) Where as draw reins you can really mis-use and do a lot of damage if you dont know what your doing. A german martengale and a running martengale are very similar, but like I said before a german takes all of the guess work out of it when your horse gets over/under the bit he hits the martengale and it encourages him to put is head back down. A running martengale however the more you shorten your reins the more their head comes in because that martengale is also getting shorter, when mis-used can also do some damage. One of my clients jumpers gets schooled by me in draw reins, schooled by his junior in a German Martengale and then shown in a running martengale. They all work hand in hand, you just have to know how to use them and what they are all used for, and not to over use them. MARTENGALES AND DRAW REINS ARE NOT DESIGNED TO HOLD YOUR HORSES HEAD DOWN, AND SHOULD NEVER BE USED BY THE IGNORANT THAT THINK THIS IS TRUE. MARTENGALES AND DRAW REINS ARE DESIGNED TO HELP YOU ENCOURAGE YOUR HORSE TO KEEP HIS HEAD AND NECK IN THE CORRECT POSITION AND TO REMIND HIM WHEN IT IS TO HIGH OR TOO LOW. NEVER HOLD YOUR HORSES FACE TO HIS CHEST. Its not just asking your horse to put his head down. It has to come from behind. Your horse has to engage his hind end round through his back and thus drop his head and neck and really soften his jaw. Thats what these tools are designed for, but you have to ride to get the result, they are not going to do it for you.

quote:

Originally posted by goldentoes:

psst... it's spelled "martingale"

(ok, sorry to be the spelling pest today, off I go to ride, LOL)

ahh haha golden toes..im glad you are here to be my spell check, becuase when i get on my training rants and raves, i dont look...i just go! [Wink]

quote:

Originally posted by goldentoes:

psst... it's spelled "martingale"

(ok, sorry to be the spelling pest today, off I go to ride, LOL)

ahh haha golden toes..im glad you are here to be my spell check, becuase when i get on my training rants and raves, i dont look...i just go! [Wink]