Sign in to follow this  
KarmaLita Rose

pad slipping - need suggestions on a new one

As the title says, I'm having a problem with my saddle pad slipping back. It is one of the simple, rectangular pads you can find everywhere. If I ride for any amount of time or go faster than I walk, I end up having to re-saddle my horse. I'm looking for something comfortable for my horse, in the $70 or so range, that's (obviously) not going to work itself back. Thanks in advance!

As the title says, I'm having a problem with my saddle pad slipping back. It is one of the simple, rectangular pads you can find everywhere. If I ride for any amount of time or go faster than I walk, I end up having to re-saddle my horse. I'm looking for something comfortable for my horse, in the $70 or so range, that's (obviously) not going to work itself back. Thanks in advance!

I like to use the fleece shaped pads with the long velcro attachment that goes all the way across the flap of the saddle. Never had a problem with them slipping. They're usually around $30 iirc, I have a bunch of them and haven't bought a new one in a while.

(keep in mind though that consistent problems with pads slipping can indicate a problem in saddle fit)

[smile]

I like to use the fleece shaped pads with the long velcro attachment that goes all the way across the flap of the saddle. Never had a problem with them slipping. They're usually around $30 iirc, I have a bunch of them and haven't bought a new one in a while.

(keep in mind though that consistent problems with pads slipping can indicate a problem in saddle fit)

[smile]

Thanks, goldentoes, but can I ask what 'iirc' means?

I have also been worried about saddle fit, but I checked her back for soreness after a 3+ hour long trailride this weekend, and couldn't find any tender spots. Is there anything else I can do to check for proper fit? Thanks again.

I have also been worried about saddle fit, but I checked her back for soreness after a 3+ hour long trailride this weekend, and couldn't find any tender spots. Is there anything else I can do to check for proper fit? Thanks again.

You can try a non slip pad. It's black and goes on frist under the saddle pad. I never use to use one but now I always do. It really helps. They run about $30-40. I had a TB with a high wither and my saddle would always slip back, but never with this.

You can try a non slip pad. It's black and goes on frist under the saddle pad. I never use to use one but now I always do. It really helps. They run about $30-40. I had a TB with a high wither and my saddle would always slip back, but never with this.

I would use a non slip pad.

If you horse has A] high withers B]sloping back C] both, like ym gelding you'll learn to love them. everything slips on my horse. all my square pads [about 15 lol] all my show pads, bareback pads, everything. the non slip helps tremendously. it doesn't stop the slippage completely, but it at least makes it where i can get through an hour's ride without having to get off and pull my saddle forward.

ETA: is it just your saddle pad slipping...like out from under your saddle? if so, i'd either get one that has billet and girth straps or use them if it already has them. then, if it slips, the saddle goes with it.

[ 10-10-2007, 04:14 PM: Message edited by: JumperCrazy ]

I would use a non slip pad.

If you horse has A] high withers B]sloping back C] both, like ym gelding you'll learn to love them. everything slips on my horse. all my square pads [about 15 lol] all my show pads, bareback pads, everything. the non slip helps tremendously. it doesn't stop the slippage completely, but it at least makes it where i can get through an hour's ride without having to get off and pull my saddle forward.

ETA: is it just your saddle pad slipping...like out from under your saddle? if so, i'd either get one that has billet and girth straps or use them if it already has them. then, if it slips, the saddle goes with it.

[ 10-10-2007, 04:14 PM: Message edited by: JumperCrazy ]

quote:

Originally posted by KarmaLita Rose:

iirc = if I remember correctly

In addition to checking for soreness, you need to see how the saddle sits on her back, how much wither clearance there is, and if there is any bridging (places where the panels don't follow the contours of her back).

Any dry spots underneath the saddle *can* indicate areas of more concentrated pressure.

Also you can put a clean white towel under the saddle, and ride, and see where the "dirty" spots are most concentrated and check for patterns of uneven-ness.

quote:

Originally posted by KarmaLita Rose:

iirc = if I remember correctly

In addition to checking for soreness, you need to see how the saddle sits on her back, how much wither clearance there is, and if there is any bridging (places where the panels don't follow the contours of her back).

Any dry spots underneath the saddle *can* indicate areas of more concentrated pressure.

Also you can put a clean white towel under the saddle, and ride, and see where the "dirty" spots are most concentrated and check for patterns of uneven-ness.

Jumper, it is the actual pad slipping out from underneath the saddle. The saddle doesn't move, the pad just works itself back. The pad does have places for the girth to go through, but it still works itself farther underneath the saddle.

GT, I have had two experienced folks run their hands under the saddle, trying to find places that weren't making contact. They said it seemed to fit and to take it for a test-ride. As for looking for wet spots, even after our 3 hour long ride, she wasn't sweaty, as it's starting to cool down here. I will try the towel idea, thanks!

ETA: It has probably about 2" of wither clearance at the pommel, she seems to move out fine with it, and I had a friend check her for soreness after the ride. Karma (the horse) didn't flinch, shift her weight, or even act interested while my friend was doing this to her. Dunno if any of this makes a difference, but there it is. Thanks [smile]

[ 10-10-2007, 04:52 PM: Message edited by: KarmaLita Rose ]

Jumper, it is the actual pad slipping out from underneath the saddle. The saddle doesn't move, the pad just works itself back. The pad does have places for the girth to go through, but it still works itself farther underneath the saddle.

GT, I have had two experienced folks run their hands under the saddle, trying to find places that weren't making contact. They said it seemed to fit and to take it for a test-ride. As for looking for wet spots, even after our 3 hour long ride, she wasn't sweaty, as it's starting to cool down here. I will try the towel idea, thanks!

ETA: It has probably about 2" of wither clearance at the pommel, she seems to move out fine with it, and I had a friend check her for soreness after the ride. Karma (the horse) didn't flinch, shift her weight, or even act interested while my friend was doing this to her. Dunno if any of this makes a difference, but there it is. Thanks [smile]

[ 10-10-2007, 04:52 PM: Message edited by: KarmaLita Rose ]

i had a shaped "fleece" pad that did the same thing on one of my mares, the saddle didnt go any where but the pad sure did. is fay "fleece" because it was actualy synthetic. after i got a real fleece on the problem was solved. i would indeed check your saddle fit though before anything else

i had a shaped "fleece" pad that did the same thing on one of my mares, the saddle didnt go any where but the pad sure did. is fay "fleece" because it was actualy synthetic. after i got a real fleece on the problem was solved. i would indeed check your saddle fit though before anything else

I have a full rolled edge numnah that slipped all the time from under my saddle as it didn't have those velcro straps or a girth slip. The pad cost me hundreds and I wasnt prepared to go and fork out more to get another one or extra pads.

My best advice for a budget is to go to a haberdashery store and pick up about a metre of Nylon strip and half a metre of velcro (the same colour as your pad). Cut two strips of nylon slightly bigger than the width of your girth and another two slightly longer than what is needed to reach from just under the knee roll of the saddle to the billets, then double it. Cut your velcro and sew the loop end on one half and the teeth end on the other. Take these strips to one of those places that does embroidery and pant lenghtening and they'll sew them in place nice and strong, they charged me about AUS $12.95 (as my sewing machine couldn't sew through the thick wool but if yours can you can save even more!). All up it cost me about AUS $20 and saved me trouble and buying more (or new) pads!

I have a full rolled edge numnah that slipped all the time from under my saddle as it didn't have those velcro straps or a girth slip. The pad cost me hundreds and I wasnt prepared to go and fork out more to get another one or extra pads.

My best advice for a budget is to go to a haberdashery store and pick up about a metre of Nylon strip and half a metre of velcro (the same colour as your pad). Cut two strips of nylon slightly bigger than the width of your girth and another two slightly longer than what is needed to reach from just under the knee roll of the saddle to the billets, then double it. Cut your velcro and sew the loop end on one half and the teeth end on the other. Take these strips to one of those places that does embroidery and pant lenghtening and they'll sew them in place nice and strong, they charged me about AUS $12.95 (as my sewing machine couldn't sew through the thick wool but if yours can you can save even more!). All up it cost me about AUS $20 and saved me trouble and buying more (or new) pads!

My husbands mare always has her pad slip, I bought him a neoprene for Christmas, I also have one. They work great, DO NOT SLIP!I ordered it thru Country Supply was $39,99 comes in quite a few colors, they have the girths to match for $18.99. They work well for us & not too expensive.

My husbands mare always has her pad slip, I bought him a neoprene for Christmas, I also have one. They work great, DO NOT SLIP!I ordered it thru Country Supply was $39,99 comes in quite a few colors, they have the girths to match for $18.99. They work well for us & not too expensive.