Sign in to follow this  
t_air_e_4286

saddle question

One of the 4H girls I help last year is looking for an english saddle. I know she's going to have to drop a decent chunk of change to get a nice used one, but I also know it's going to be like pulling teeth to get her to spend that much. What are good brands to look at? She will only be doing flat classes, no jumping. I know to look at used saddles, but I really don't know what are "good" english brands

One of the 4H girls I help last year is looking for an english saddle. I know she's going to have to drop a decent chunk of change to get a nice used one, but I also know it's going to be like pulling teeth to get her to spend that much. What are good brands to look at? She will only be doing flat classes, no jumping. I know to look at used saddles, but I really don't know what are "good" english brands

hard to go wrong with a plain used crosby pdn-type saddle.

They are not cushy or soft, but the quality is good and she should be able to get her money back when/if she wants to resell it (if she buys for $350 now, and uses it for a year or two, she should be able to sell it for $350 again if she takes good care of it)

another option would be an older used stubben- they have some "all purpose" models that are better balanced than most, and she may find that more secure. The drawbacks are they tend to have a hard seat and may be more expensive, even well used.

Also look for Crump prix de saute, Jimmy's 20th Century, Hartley/Galaxie, lovatt and rickett, etc. These are all like the Crosby PDN, very plain, no-frills saddles, but generally well made and you can usually sell them later for about what you paid, and there are usually quite a lot available.

hard to go wrong with a plain used crosby pdn-type saddle.

They are not cushy or soft, but the quality is good and she should be able to get her money back when/if she wants to resell it (if she buys for $350 now, and uses it for a year or two, she should be able to sell it for $350 again if she takes good care of it)

another option would be an older used stubben- they have some "all purpose" models that are better balanced than most, and she may find that more secure. The drawbacks are they tend to have a hard seat and may be more expensive, even well used.

Also look for Crump prix de saute, Jimmy's 20th Century, Hartley/Galaxie, lovatt and rickett, etc. These are all like the Crosby PDN, very plain, no-frills saddles, but generally well made and you can usually sell them later for about what you paid, and there are usually quite a lot available.