Sign in to follow this  
Goldiebabe

Typical girth size?

I have an English saddle I bought in December and I haven't gotten to ride in it yet because I have the wrong size girth. It was too short on the gelding I tried it on, so it would definitely be waaaaay too short on any Quarter Horse. What is a "safe" size to try on a Quarter Horse; cowhorse build?

I know I can measure my horse for girth size, but I want to know a ballpark.

This is for an all purpose saddle. Let me know if you need any more info! Thanks! [big Grin]

I have an English saddle I bought in December and I haven't gotten to ride in it yet because I have the wrong size girth. It was too short on the gelding I tried it on, so it would definitely be waaaaay too short on any Quarter Horse. What is a "safe" size to try on a Quarter Horse; cowhorse build?

This is for an all purpose saddle. Let me know if you need any more info! Thanks! [big Grin]

quote:

Originally posted by Goldiebabe:

This is for an all purpose saddle. Let me know if you need any more info! Thanks!
[big Grin]

On the drafts we use a 52" with extenders. On the crosses we usually drop the extenders of go with a 50". So if I has to guess I would look around the 48" neighborhood. However I would get the tape out if I were in your position.

Swinghorse

quote:

Originally posted by Goldiebabe:

This is for an all purpose saddle. Let me know if you need any more info! Thanks!
[big Grin]

On the drafts we use a 52" with extenders. On the crosses we usually drop the extenders of go with a 50". So if I has to guess I would look around the 48" neighborhood. However I would get the tape out if I were in your position.

Swinghorse

What size was the one that didn't fit?

I use a 48" ona 15.3 hand TB with a fairly wide ribcage, a 52" on a 16.1 TB cross who could probably use a 54" the next time I buy a girth.

The last QH I rode wore a 50", she was 16 hands and fairly solid but not beefy.

Measuring would probably be the safest thing.

What size was the one that didn't fit?

I use a 48" ona 15.3 hand TB with a fairly wide ribcage, a 52" on a 16.1 TB cross who could probably use a 54" the next time I buy a girth.

The last QH I rode wore a 50", she was 16 hands and fairly solid but not beefy.

Measuring would probably be the safest thing.

i have an extremely mutton backed QH and i used to be able to use a 48 but now i have to use girth extenders bc when i use my fluffy show pad it would take 3 people just to get it on the first notch on both sides. i would definitely measure

i have an extremely mutton backed QH and i used to be able to use a 48 but now i have to use girth extenders bc when i use my fluffy show pad it would take 3 people just to get it on the first notch on both sides. i would definitely measure