Sign in to follow this  
r_beau

Is that whipping REALLY helping your horse???

Let me say right now, I don't use any sort of whip, spurs or any encouraging utensil, I've never needed to.

BUT

I honestly don't feel that the whipping hindered the horses run in any way.....the horse didn't seem to be bothered by the whip in anyway....HOWEVER I also feel the only way to see if the whipping is necessary is to see what the horse would do without whipping, maybe the horse needed to be pushed that hard, maybe she slows up in the turn, I thought the two made a wonderful team and she out ran probably close to a 1000 teams their and I don't feel this should is something that should be judged because we don't know what the horse would do if it wasn't whipped so no one knows except the rider and family if the whippin to that extent (which I didn't think was that bad, I've seen more of it in a run) was necessary....KUDOS to the girl that did that well...

JMHO [Angel][Angel][Angel]

I give my girl one whip on the way home and she drops but now she is getting to where she wants to drop (meaning find another gear) without the whip. I think if I was to whip her the whole way she would end up hating her job and now she hunts a barrel. Im new to this but I have been training horses for years. I am loving this new adventure alot less stress than showing.

Now see here I thought showing would be less stressful. I guess we'll find out, my youngest is showing our filly in junior classes this year.

Just to let yall know, this is close to being moved to the debate board. IF we can play nice and not berate others with a different opinion, then we can all play, if not,the is game over.

We can disagree all day, just do it with respect.

Just to throw my two cents, I think the whipping matter depends on the horse...

You've got some of them that will run just fine, but if they CAN go slower, they will, and giving them a little motivation never hurt 'em! I had a mare I ran for 5+ years, who would run her heart out if you but carried your crop, I never could get with the over-and-under thing, but the crop on my saddle horn told her all she needed to know, on her, I also had to ride regularly with spurs, just to keep her off the barrel when we were running for money!

I'm sorry, but the higher the stakes, the more you're gonna need to push your horse, the lesser it matters, the more you can choose to school or piddle around! [big Grin]

quote:

Bottom line is that both of these girls, Tyrney and Nicole Love are great riders.

I don't know if that was directed at me or just a general comment, but I didn't say Nicole or anyone else were bad riders (I mean, Nicole pretty much "jumped" the first barrel with her leg on the same run to avoid knocking it over and didn't seem to miss a beat for it).

You've GOT to be a good rider to ride a 1D-caliber horse. (Er, well, ride a 1D horse to win ... unfortunately I've seen many terrible riders on 1D horses [Duh] )

I just question the whipping.....

quote:

Originally posted by r_beau:

quote:

Bottom line is that both of these girls, Tyrney and Nicole Love are great riders.

I don't know if that was directed at me or just a general comment, but I didn't say Nicole or anyone else were bad riders (I mean, Nicole pretty much "jumped" the first barrel with her leg on the same run to avoid knocking it over and didn't seem to miss a beat for it).

You've GOT to be a good rider to ride a 1D-caliber horse. (Er, well, ride a 1D horse to win ... unfortunately I've seen many terrible riders on 1D horses
[Duh]
)

I just question the whipping.....

That's understandable, I used to do the same. Question whether whipping was at all necessary. But the more I thought about it, and the more I realized each horse is different, I lost the questioning and realized that the riders are doing it for some reason.

Probably will not see me doing it with my horse, but I can understand why they are riding the way they are, especially at World finals.