Sign in to follow this  
ThatsHowIRoll

Rodeo & Helmets - teen doesnt want to wear anymore

I have a 15 yr old daughter who has always worn a helmet. Now that she is moving up and starting to rodeo she does not want to wear it anymore because she is one of the few (maybe only at some) who does wear one. What are your views on helmets at rodeos and do you think more rodeo contestants are wearing them?

Well, it's a huge debate and still a personal preference kind of thing I think. As far as I will be concerned with my own kids, I plan on them wearing helmets until one they are a good enough rider in MY eyes to go without (which is still debatable) or two they are 18 and can make their own decisions...

It's one of those things that I personally can't see a right or wrong answer for. Of course, opinions are like belly buttons, we all have 'em...

[Wink][Confused][big Grin][Cool]

I want to add also, that it may not be "cool" in rodeo to wear helmets, but people's views are changing about that, I mean, look at Delores Toole...

I think it should be the parents/riders decision, and if mom think she should wear a helmet, that's the way it should be...

[ 03-28-2008, 12:06 PM: Message edited by: msboa2003 ]

I think the parent should decide.

Have you thought about the Troxel cowboy hat helmets? You can hardly tell that it's a helmet.

I make the little girls I give riding lessons to ware them. They cost around $115 to $150 bucks, which to me is cheap vs. a hospital bill.

Although I will admit I do not ware one, the girls give me grief, and that's when I say

"Do as I say, not as I do"

-

I am hoping to check one out in person. I remember when some company did one of the hat / helmet things back in the day and they were BAD FUGLY. I keep her in the latest fashion as far as helmets go. I do not wear one either. That is her major gripe. I know I am being a hipocrate(?) but ... Dang I dont even have a good excuse. [Confused]

Can she stay on a bucking horse, walk trot lope and gallop, WITHOUT grabbing onto the horn or balancing on the reins? What about if a horse unexpectedly spooks? Does she stay on the majority of the time? When was her last major spill? If it was within the last three months, I'd for sure still make her still wear a helmet. And when I say bucking horse I don't mean rodeo broncs, just a good hard buck or too.

I agree with Equosamo. When it comes time for me to have kids and they want to ride, they'll were helmets until I'm comfortable with their riding skill. I myself, being 21 have thought about getting one when I ride out (because I'm ALWAYS alone) But I didn't. My new horse has put me thru the paces with his bucking, spookin crap, but he's never got me to come off. So like the others have said, its 100% YOUR choice. I kinda like the way the helmet hat looks. Maybe a compromise there!

IMO it's a personal choice, neither is right nore wrong [smile] I do not wear one, I never have and was not made to as a child so that probably has something to do with it. To be honest, I have never seen a helmet in the rodeo arena around here. I have seen them at jack pots, but only on younger children.

I do think that it is up to the parents to decide for children though. Even at 15 I would want my child to abide by my choice, probably until they were 18.

Well I can say she has not ate dirt in a pretty long while with the exception of one of our old horses that lost footing and went down with her. She is starting a young gelding that is quiet but still green. But nothing that REALLY bucks. She has an old mare that has a really un cool way of leaping and hitting the ground like a pogo stick if you "tick" her off be trying to guide her to a barrel as she knows where she is going and you best just let her go there her way. I have been on the recieving end of that leap ugghhh pogo leap ....and believe me I would rather a horse buck than THAT!!!! [shocked]

I don't do barrels (just lurk here, topic interested me) but i've made it a practice to wear one. I;ve come off just enough times to want to make sure the next time isn't serious! I'm 17. My trainer doesn't wear one (she says "i should but i dont") but she is glad I do.

For your daughter, I can sympathize, I don;t like sticking out, either. Maybe the helmet hat would be a good compromise- as far as i'm concerned, they should have made them sooner. [Wink]

I always wear a helmet when I ride; I do get a little jeering from my friends, but my barn owner requires them, and I'm quite fond of my head [big Grin] I've had some very unexpected accidents, and I am proud to wear a helmet, even if I'm the only one at the gymkhanas in one. I wear an IRH (with the stripe down the front) helmet; it's REALLY English, but I don't mind because it's extremely lightweight and comfortable, and it looks really nice too- sporty yet elegant.

I also have a friend who wears a schooling helmet at home and a hat at shows. An interesting compromise if your daughter is concerned about sticking out.

Personally...I would tell her to suck it up. I didnt stop wearing one til I turned 18. (still wear it every once in a while and AM NOT ashamed to) I made a decision and will deal with the consiquences of it. At 15 though? I think she's still just a kid and isnt capable of making that sorta decision for herself. JMO

I wear one. I am a skilled rider and have ridden my fair share of problem horses without eating dirt. I very rarely fall off. I'd say about 2 times the last two years (both times jumping), but I still wear one every time I ride.

Of course, it's personal choice once you're an adult, but I would make my child wear one. Should she decide to get nasty about it, I would take away all that lovely funding which got her the horse, tack, and show entries to begin with.

It's a lot less cool to be knocked out in the middle of the arena from a fall than to be safe with your helmet on.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ewXTdUDOBtE

^^fine exmaple of what could happen.

I think in the case of kids, it is up to the parent to decide.

If it were my kid, she would either wear her helmet or not ride her horse. PERIOD. I am a strong believer in helmets and I think it is silly when someone doesn't wear one for the sole reason that "it doesn't look cool" or "no one else is wearing one."

And 18 does not mean a thing to me. If *I* am still taking care of their butts, and they are living under *my* roof, or their horse is kept in my barn - it's either helment or no horse.

When they go off and get their own job, own trailer, and pay their own board, and pay for their own medical bills (should they get any) then they are free to do what they want. (although I still will be strongly encouraging they wear one)

Harsh, yes, but that's tough love.

I never get on a horse (mine or someone else's) without my helmet.

Wow, I am from the Hunter/Jumper board and I would never allow my daughter to ride any horse at anytime without a helmet. Sorry it has to be such an issue for western riders. For us, it is required and the dressage riders are moving in that direction too.

Hard to be a parent of a child who rides horses and competes when it comes down to you having to make safety decisions for your child. We have had several bad horse accidents in our area-one with a helmet and a couple without-and those accidents have made everyone more cautious. I hope things work out with your daughter-head injuries are so difficult to recover from.

I'm 15 and I always wear my helmet when I ride a horse I don't know or know they are spooky. All my friends don't wear them but they have had some pretty jarring falls and trips to the ER. I have fallen a few times but never been seriously injured...but now I have said that....... Helmets can really protect you and you can always get a cool one like the Troxel Cheyenne or bling out a helmet. Its better to be safe then sorry.

I keep her in the latest style and fashion as far Troxel helmets go. She gets a new one every year. I think I will continue to insist that she wears one. She has even one a bit of extra cash in a barrel race before as they gave side pot money for people in helmets. I wish they would do that more often.

Just a side note-went to the horse show Sunday morning and there was a fire truck and emergency vehicles in the ring working on a rider. She will be OK eventually but she was stepped on after her fall. Glad I knew she had a regulation helmet on, it just makes those tough falls a bit safer.

I ride with California Gymkhana Association and we have a rule while mounted 17 & under must have a helmet. Which I agree totally.

I had a gnarley accident and if I had been wearing a helmet it wouldn't have been as bad. I ended up cracking my skull, pushing two vertabrae's, lost an inch in height and pulled a ligament and sprained my back. Now I probably would have a few of those but not nearly as bad. This was 13 years ago, I've recovered, just once in a while I get stiff.

So I am now a complete believer of helmets, and my neices and nephew when they ride even if they just sit on my horse, they wear a helmet. No if buts or ands.

But after 18 it's a choice, I will still require them if they are on MY horse, but if on their own or someone else's, then I can't require it, but will request it.

I've been riding horses for 9yrs. And i've been wearing a helmet for 8 of them years and will continue to do so. I was 14 when i made the decision to wear a helmet, my parents didn't care. It wasn't until last summer that i fell really bad and hit my head really hard on a asphalt driveway, i remember hitting my head and just heard a loud cracking noise. I put a crack about 6" in my helmet and gave myself a nice headache for the rest of the day. All i can say is that i am very thankfull i wear a helmet. If i ever had kids, i will make them wear a helmet even when they turn 18. They only way they wont have to wear one is if they live on their own, pay their own bills, and dont have a horse at my place. Far as i can see, if they still have their horse at my place they are wearing a helmet.

I'm 15, I had to wear a helmet when I was 4-9 when barrel racing & was 11- 12 when I was riding 2 YO's after I proved that i could ride 2 YO's, young cutters, and finshed cutters, it was my choice if i wanted to wear it or not. I decied not to. I think the people that wear them are very smart! but IMO it's up to the person.

I always wore a helmet when I was younger, a few years ago I stopped...(I am 17) personally I don't like wearing them...I don't even like wearing hats when I ride...it makes me claustrophobic and uncomfortable (I know that sounds dumb...you would have to know me...haha) my parents don't care, I didn't even wear one when I rode a bull...which I got a concussion on...maybe I should have then [smile] only time I have landed on my head! haha

if a parent feels strongly about their under 18 child wearing one, then they have all the say...I don't care either way if others wear them or not...

I think its up to the parents. I personally do not like wearing them..(i'm 15) not because its not cool but because I just dont like them..

Tell her to check out www.QuarterHorseTube.com and do a barrel racing search. There is one on really bad accidents that should turn her around to wanting to wear one. Of course at 15, nothing bad could ever happen to them right~~ Just tell her if something happened to her and she was not wearing a helmet, you would have to live with that for the rest of your life. Tell her not wearing one could result in: 1-she could die and you would have to live with the "what ifs". 2-she could be disfigured or Lord knows what else. If she does wear one: 1-her friends give her a hard time but who cares as some of them probably wear things at times that make you go "what was she thinking" Did the girl look in the mirror before she walked out the door??? 2-nothing happens but you wore your helmet and made your mom not worry so much. 3-the one bad run where her horse flips or falls and she hits her head and the only bad thing is a broken arm and a sore body but because she had a helmet she walks away from what could have been a 3 month stay in the hospital or worse. Good luck.

Well.

I'm a rodeo teen myself, and I don't wear one.

Scares my mom to death.

But I sometimes think I would want one.

I just think I look stupid in one.

I have friends who wear helments.

I think if you're concered about your safety:

WEAR ONE.

It's been an issue in my house too.

But I don't think I need one.

I think only time will prove me right or wrong.

But I have wished I had one before.

Ground hurts when you hit it hard enough.

My daughter and I were riding this weekend and I she tacked my horse for me. When I went to bridle and get on my helmet (which I never wear) was hanging on my horn. I wore it. Later that evening she thanked me for wearing it. It didnt make her feel like she was the only one wearing one. Maybe if I continue to wear mine she will stop complaining about wearing hers.