Sign in to follow this  
wrangler

Self medicating with your horse supplies....

Alright fess up. How many folks out there have taken bute or a shot of penicillin? How about a shot of ace? Now folks I am NOT recommending the use of horse drugs for humans by any means. However, after working with the old timers for years I have seen and heard just about everything. Lots of folks use the veterinary liniments for their own sore muscles. We all know DMSO on our skin makes us taste pennies.

Has anyone taken Bute and watched the invisible flying bugs that are associated with it? I walked up the bunkhouse a few years back to find my husband, boss and a few others swatting invisible flies. As it turns out bute not only is AWFUL for your stomach but makes you see things.

I rescued an old boy years back that bucked off and broke his collar bone and multiple ribs. He self medicated with an Ace cocktail while waiting an hour and 1/2 for the ambulance.

Lots of folks shoot themselves with penicillin for everything from spider bites to random infections.

I have used Novalsan for my own wounds before but that's about it.

Again I am NOT condoning the use of horse medications for humans. Your shouldn't take anything without a doctor's approval. Try and tell that to the old timers though! [Duh]

I have used horse liniment for achy hands(Bigeloil is the bomb... [smile] ) and vet wrap to wrap up a cut before, but Ill be danged if I shoot myself up with anything meant for a horse! [Eek!]

I have also heard all the old stories tho...Knew a farrier who used ace or something when his already bad back hurt so he could shoe longer. I have also heard of people taking bute.

Seems kinda crazy to me lol...Not to mention dangerous.

I've heard the stories too, but sure wouldn't try it myself. I'd worry about the side effects.

However, I've used lidocaine to remove my toe nail after going to two human doctors that just said 'it'll fall off by itself'. Every step was painful and I didn't want the new nail to grow in wrong.

I also recently used Surpass when I smashed my knee and couldn't walk. Otherwise I could not have gotten through the day. The trainer certainly would not let me go home, so I had to do something. It worked great, but I hope I never need it again.

I try to stock my first aid kit with human quality items such as Neosporin or human bandages, disinfectant, etc.

Hey Wrangler

I sure don't think anyone is fessin up past the Absorbine quick-fix here! LOL

The regular run of the mill human painkillers don't quite hit the job once you've used Bute, but now that's what I've heard. [big Grin]

SMZs. Yup. Definitely. Because it is exactly the same as what humans get.

I know someone who has taken banamine and dexamethasone(sp?)

Well...Nolvasan doesn't count because that's used in human medicine. [Wink]

I use absorbine linament on myself. I use horse flyspray on myself if the bugs are really bad. I use horse shampoo sometimes.

I think that's about the extent.

Though when I worked at the veterinary hospital, I did radiograph myself a few times. I also took a few different abx after being bitten by cats/iguanas/dogs/etc. But the drugs were all things that are used in human medicine.

I had clients though who would take their dog's Rimadyl. Rimadyl was originally developed for people, but caused jaundice. So it never went to market for human use. But every once in awhile, I'd have some older person come in all yellow looking for an early refill on Fluffy's Rimadyl. lol

I have used Liniment before.

I would use Vet Wrap or Corona/Novalson and horsie hair care. Like Cowboy Magic, shampoos and such.

But that's it! Bute, Ace and the other stuff just seems tooo dangerous.

I would go to the Dr. when its bad enough to need Pineccilen (sp) or Ace.

[ 10-09-2007, 10:45 AM: Message edited by: Horse_Girl_98 ]

I've used all kinds of horse topicals and liniments.

And once I was getting a bladder infection and had this bottle of antibiotic pills I'd got from the vet for a horse with a wound (wound was long healed, pills were just sitting there).... and no health insurance... so I went to the library and checked up on the horse antibiotic pills, saw what they were, what the recommended dose was for people.... took them for 5 days.... no more UTI.

I absolutely do NOT recommend that anyone ever do that, but I was desperate (an untreated UTI will make anyone crazy).

I would NEVER EVER use ANY kind of injectable, though. No pain killers either.

I'd use vet wrap or liniment for a sore knee or something, if I had to. As for the meds, never even crossed my mind. [Eek!]

Yep, bute when my foot was jumped on by a horse I was working with. Killed the pain, no side affects. And of course wraps, fly spray, shampoo, conditioner, ichthamol, and liniments.

A friend of mine used to give her husband a shot of penicillen whenever he was feeling bad. Worked so well for him that he would ask for it.

[ 10-09-2007, 12:06 AM: Message edited by: rattusrat ]

I admit I have used SMZ's for a nasty sinus infection. Worked like a charm.

And Trinity, I have to agree that Bigeloil is the bomb. [big Grin]

I've put that shiny AluSheild stuff on a nasty cut at the barn, it keeps the flys off and protects the cut from dirt. I've used wraps and flyspray, obviously, but I'm pretty sure that's the extent of it. OH, and ShowSheen, when my hair wasn't cooperating.

People who take injectibles and painkillers are absolutely insane, IMHO.

Years ago, my husband came home with nasty wound on his shin. He'd dropped a loaded winch down his leg and it peeled a strip about seven inches long down to the bone. We didn't have insurance at the time, and there was nothing to stitch, so I debrided it, packed it with nitrofurazone and wrapped it. (He'd just gotten a tetanus shot.)

He said the pain stopped immediately and it healed quickly with barely a scar. Of course, it was later discovered that nitrofurazone is a carcinogen, so we haven't used it on a person since.

I've used DMSO, Absorbine and Blue Ice on myself, and just recently started taking MSM, but it's for people. I've also used Show Sheen and Mane and Tail Detangler.

i have used linaments,DMSO and cortisone painted on a hematoma will quickly reduce it.i have taken bute...bleck..nasty taste.i have also taken the robaxin pills..they are muscle relaxers.banamine in orange juice...will definately kill your aches and pains.

quote:

Originally posted by mydakota:

SMZ's for a uti. Worked like a charm. Never an injectable though. That just seems scarey to me.

Heh, glad I'm not alone on the treating of UTI's with horse pills, lol.

although i wouldnt use anything that was injectable.. i have used bute and banamine.. bucked off and later found out i had busted my finger.. between the two, i felt pretty darn good all things considered.. [Crazy] .. lol.

ive taken some sulfa boluses for the cows when i was sick a few times.. pretty much HUGE sized SMZs.. a day or so, and i was good as new.. everyone else with the same crud as i had took the "human" drugs, and were still sick a week later..

LOVE liniment.. i made the mistake of using to much on my back one time.. and thought i could just wash it off in hte shower.. BAD IDEA! ohh that hurt.. felt like being frozen, burned and ripped off all at once...

the vetrolin liniment... i only used it once.. i had had a rough day and a lesson student had braught in his mule... now love mules, but this one, had gotten its way a few too many times.. and i didnt trust puttin the owner on it.. so i decided to longe alittle of the freshness off.. 2 hours later i had a mule that would willingly go forward when i asked rather than face me and when it would go would need lots of encouragement (via lounge whip) only to go waterskii'ing in the dirt behind it.. at that point, my arms were past being able to even hold a longe line let alone be strong enough to crack the whip.. and i still had two more horses to ride after he left.. i thought liniment would do the trick... all i could find was vetrolin, and smeared it on my lower arms.. 5 minutes later it looked/felt like someone had turned a blowtorch on my arms only in the areas that had gotten the liniment.. i scrubbed with soap and water, and took a few bennedryl (i was obviosuly allergic)... and about 6 hours later my skin was somewhat back to normal..

I've been using "horse" shampoo and conditioner for over a year because it is salon quality at a fraction of the price. I am 100% gray and this shampoo doesn't ruin my color like most human shampoos. It is human safe.

vetwrap for sprained ankles and wrists

moody mare herbals for bad PMS

stress-dex in juice after a LONG hot day

liniment in bathwater after a day of working and riding

mane and tail shampoo

udder butter for dry hands in winter

I'll agree -- Bigeloil feels good, smells good, too. Absorbine causes wheals on my skin.

Gotta be careful using that other stuff -- remember it is dosed for many times a human's body weight. When my vet prescribed Dromosedan injectable for sedation for one of my horses, he warned me that it should never be used when you are by yourself, just a pin ***** from the needle can cause a human to have respiratory/cardiac arrest.

And, shock wave therapy evidently works well on tendinitis. The vet who shock waved my navicular horse also uses it on himself.

I work at a feed store and pretty much all of our horse liniments are bought up by the same customers who are between 50-90 years old and coming in to look for collard, cabbage and onion plants. Alot of them will also by the cattle Ivomec to give to their dogs, horses, goats and cows.

They're all still alive and doing well.

When I worked in a vet clinic, sometimes we would get a buffered asprin for a headache. But other than topicals, that's the extent of taking anything not specifically for humans. I have great medical insurance, though. But I could NEVER give myself a shot of anything....I HATE needles. Heaven forbid I get diabetes.

Um, I've taken Bute for my migraines and it's never made me see things! What kind of bute were these guys taking? The kind laced with Peyote?!

I really do take human pharmeceutical grade bute for migraines rotated with other narcotics because I cannot take any of the new "miracle drugs." On the odd occassion that I've run out of my own meds, I have been known to raid the horses' medicine cabinet.

What are SMZs? Apparently my horse has never had one or I just don't know the initials right now lol.

I have used wraps, linement, and the like.

I once licked Bute pil when I was like 10 and YUCK I have never tried one since lol

No injectables here OWIE! I hate needles being poked in me so have to go to a DR for anything like that!

You lightweights. I took Ketamine once. Not on purpose either. I had a bad panic attack on the operating table when I went in for my csection. Totally flipped out on the docs. So the anesthesiologist said as soon as Bella was out he'd give me something to calm me down. And that's what he gave me. And I had an interesting trip before I went out completely.

Found out later apparently they're not supposed to use that on humans anymore since it's horse tranquilizer.

The way I'm coughing tonight...yeesh. What do they give horses with heaves? I'm ready for a dose. [ROTFL]

A friend of mine was a long-time calf roper. His knees and hips gave him a lot of pain. He'd take one of those big bute tablets and cut it in quarters and swallow a piece and wash it down with a beer.

Everyone told him he'd be sorry some day. He developed kidney problems and had to have knee and hip replacements. I guess he learned the hard way. [Confused]

Funny story...

The woman in charge of the equestrian program at OSU was telling us about how for one of her classes at Texas A&M when she was a student she was supposed to give a mare Regumate or something like that, which due to its estrogen content you should not get on yourself.

Well guess what... she spilled it all over her hands.

Later she was riding a horse in a class. She is a very straight to business woman and completely out of character burst into tears when the mare she was riding wouldn't cooperate. Of course the teacher was surprised and a little worried and she sobbed "THE HORSE WON'T DO ANYTHING... I SPILLED THE REGUMATE ON MY HANDS..."

She got sent home [Razz] Apparently that stuff makes you feel like you're having a severe case of PMS or baby blues or pregnant.

Back to original topic, my mom uses liniment on her legs but past that...