qhridinGA

Why I *extremely dislike* Boxers

Since this is a debate board I will put my 2 cents in. I have owned 3 boxers and my BIL has a boxer mastiff cross. I know what you mean about them pawing, but mine have learned not to. I can understand your dislike, but my three have all been wonderful.

My first boxer I gave to an older lady that lived by herself for protection, as we were moving and couldn't take him. As far as I know he's still protecting away.

Second boxer is Pete and he is now an old man happily laying on the couch, being an old dog. He has always been around my little girl since she was born and has never once hurt her or anything. She can even pick up his big saggy lips and he doesn't care.

Third boxer is Carli she is my four year old daughters dog and they are the best of friends. I will admitt that when we got her she would jump on adults, but never once has jumped on my daughter. She is very good, and loves nothing more than to hang out with my daughter.

Fourth my BIL's mastiff boxer cross. While big and a little on the dumb side... he is a very well behaved puppy. He likes to chew on stuff, but what puppy doesn't.

I understand your hate... I hate birds (chickens, ducks, geese, turkeys) They gross me out. They are ok out in the wild but in a cage are down right yucky. I will not post pictures as I don't want this deleted so I can see other peoples responses.

quote:

Originally posted by cowgurlup1983:

i think op is just stateing her opinon to call her a bigot because she doesnt like a dog breed is plain stupid. I havent been around many boxers i think they're pretty and the only one i've been around was a excape artist and landed herself in the pound where she got out daliy. But i see where the op is comeing from she doesnt like the breed and she told you why. I can tell you why im not fond of minature pinchers my aunt has 4 and they never shut up ever no matter what they do so i dont like that breed they arent for me.

Boxers are not for the op just like ive seen topics about breeds of horses that are not for certain people i never saw one of them being called a bigot.

Actually noone used that term before the OP brought it up, so please reread. And actually if the term fits and all [Confused] She stated in the first post that nobody elses opinions or any pictures will change her mind, well the defenition of a bigot is

Noun 1. bigot - a prejudiced person who is intolerant of any opinions differing from his own. So I will say again, if the term fits and all..... [big Grin]

And sure there are breeds that I do not like, however I see no need to hate them or go around bashing them.

I have several pair I use for gardening and beach going. Ralph Lauren... cozy soft and better than most shorts. I do wear my own undees under neath, as you know boxers can be a little 'airy'. [big Grin]

quote:

Originally posted by goldentoes:

add me to the list of those thinking (Hoping) this would be about mens' underwear...

quote:

Originally posted by CanadianGolden:

This thread might as well be titled "Why I Hate Black People". It's not any less bigoted.

^^

Yeah, what breeds of horses do you hate while we're at it...

And I may as well note, that I didn't realize you were this sort of person and hate a different look at you now... and that's a shame in it's self. [Frown]

quote:

Originally posted by qhridinGA:

quote:

Originally posted by CanadianGolden:

This thread might as well be titled "Why I Hate Black People". It's not any less bigoted.

^^

quote:

Of course I expected folks to get mad. Why else would I post it? It still wont bother me. Why do you think I dont want heated responses?

Uhh so you are just trolling around for some good arguments then? Real mature
[Roll Eyes]

But I didnt figure yall would be so maniac about it. How about telling me something that *might* change my view on it. A little more to where it makes sense. Cause the only person who has said anything to show them to me in a different light is Pam and SG. I will listen to them and see what they have to say.

Well you never gave a valid reason to dislike them to start with other than you "Inlaws" are unable to train a dog. [Roll Eyes]

Oh and now you are going to listen to someone and see what they say??

Wait I thought in your first post that nothing anyone said or pictures they posted would cahnge your mind?? [Question]

I think someone is just out looking for trouble and I am not going to play the childish game.

So you have at it with your nonsense and I will go enjoy my boxer [big Grin]

Bash away!!!! [smiley Wavey]

[ 10-25-2007, 01:10 PM: Message edited by: Tatertots ]

quote:

Originally posted by TANNASMOM27:

Since this is a debate board I will put my 2 cents in. I have owned 3 boxers and my BIL has a boxer mastiff cross. I know what you mean about them pawing, but mine have learned not to. I can understand your dislike, but my three have all been wonderful.

My first boxer I gave to an older lady that lived by herself for protection, as we were moving and couldn't take him. As far as I know he's still protecting away.

Second boxer is Pete and he is now an old man happily laying on the couch, being an old dog. He has always been around my little girl since she was born and has never once hurt her or anything. She can even pick up his big saggy lips and he doesn't care.

Third boxer is Carli she is my four year old daughters dog and they are the best of friends. I will admitt that when we got her she would jump on adults, but never once has jumped on my daughter. She is very good, and loves nothing more than to hang out with my daughter.

Fourth my BIL's mastiff boxer cross. While big and a little on the dumb side... he is a very well behaved puppy. He likes to chew on stuff, but what puppy doesn't.

I understand your hate... I hate birds (chickens, ducks, geese, turkeys) They gross me out. They are ok out in the wild but in a cage are down right yucky. I will not post pictures as I don't want this deleted so I can see other peoples responses.

Tanna, those sound like dogs that are in their proper situation with good owners. But does it fix their looks?

Tatertots, since you are still seem to be all upset. How about you try to tell me something to make me listen to you. Yes, I did say that you cant change my mind. But I didnt say I wouldnt listen.

Is there any other purpose for them besides guarding? What the heck were they even bred for to have such severe underbites that they cant pick up stuff off the floor hardly.

Pamela VERY cute BOXER you have they are so stunning looking....

UHmmm...I thought this was a debate board,how is someones "opinion" of a dog breed debateable? [Confused]

Oh BTW I like my man too wear those boxer brief's sexy... [big Grin]

QH, Never had a problem with my Boxer picking anything up.. [Question] Their purpose is easy..

Loving

Loyal

Protective

Strong

Fierce

Gentle

Sweet

You get the picture... [Wink] to many more to list.. [big Grin]

Oh sence this is such a silly thread I thought ID post pics of my dogs they arent boxers,but I thought why the heck not????So here we go!!!

-this is Lily Rose Saver shes my Newfoundland.

-This is my Brussles Griffon Landon.

-one more of Lando w/ my daughter.Both of these babies are both puppymill rescues...ok hope you enjoy.. [big Grin]

I say to each his own. I am sure there is alot of stuff everyone hates.

That is our own choice, I see nothing wrong with her hating that breed.

Even though Hate is maybe to strong of a word.

pamela--very cute dog, and for the record i like boxers (that don't drool but that's my problem).

but g.t. and pammy, i have discovered full cotten/spandex boxers for women and i will NEVER go back when it comes to late fall/winter activities. you see all these sexy young things running around in these things, but they have a function!

now back to your regular programming, (if you really want to go there).

Qhridin- all I can say to the way a boxer looks is that beauty is in the eye of the beholder. I think my boxers are beautiful, but then I think that Chinese Crested are ugly... Some people I'm sure love them. I have never been around one so therefore I can't form an opinion.

Hate is kinda a strong word. I have no problem with boxers myself, but hey, to each his own.

I do have an extremely strong dislike for little dogs though.

Yappy obnoxious little twits.

I do think it is funny that people are actually getting riled up about this though.

And I thought this was going to be about boxers as in boxing, the sport where people try to beat the snot out of eachother.

I have seen many well behaved, well trained Boxers.

ANY breed can act as you describe, without proper training.

The ones you should be "hating" are your In-Laws, for getting these animals knowing nothing about the breed, and then not giving them the proper training.

Don't blame the dogs, for the stupidity of the owners.

[ 10-25-2007, 02:53 PM: Message edited by: equicrzy ]

I have Golden Retreivers, which MOST people will agree are fantastic family dogs with great dispositions. The only other breed of dog I have ever been associated with that rivals the consistantly wonderful, gentle, trainable, loving disposition of the Golden is the Boxer. Don't get me wrong--I think there are MANY breeds that are nice dogs and I adore MOST dogs, but Goldens and Boxers would be on my list of top 5 breeds to reccomend as a family dog. I happen to think they are pretty too. Pamela, I have complimented your brindle before, but again, what a gorgeous dog!! My friend lived with us for several months while waiting for her house to close, and I lived with her Boxers then, even though they were not mine. I would have one in a heartbeat. The boxers in the OP's family must be either mutants, or trained by mutant trainers. That is NOT the norm.

Boxers are one of the few breeds that STAY PUPPY. If you don't do some training they will get into things. They love to live and are happy BOUNCY happy go lucky dogs!

OK now Im offended with Dawn saying little dogs are yappy little twits!!LOL!!Didnt you see my pic of my Brussels Griffon!!!!

~storming off and slamming the door!!!!!!~ [ROTFL]

I hate any dog with long hair or under 25lbs [big Grin]

I don't see how disliking a breed of dog is "racist". If she hates Russian hamsters, is that "racist"?

Anyone who's been subjected to racism probably is a bit offended that someone would even compare.

Honestly, it's not like she's saying to cull the breed entirely, just that it's not a breed she prefers.

she's bored--she said it herself and wants some attention, which she's getting in spades.

i'm off to start a thread about men and women's underwear. boxer lovers unite!!

Actually I'm with the OP on the Boxers.

In all my experiences with them I have yet to meet one that I felt could even be worth the trouble to train.

But unfortunately all those were while I was an animal control officer. I got the priviledge of chasing down every escape artist, biting, trash digging and barking one of them.

And of course I never met the ones that didn't do those things, as they were home where they were supposed to be.

It doesn't mean that my experiences haven't cause me to form an opinion of them.

To break it down:

Because of horrible experiences with Boxers I have formulated a general dislike of them. And would be likely to have the same opinion of them when meeting new ones.

Heck I think those little yappy dogs are a waste of air. Again, bad experiences.

To sum it up, it's all in the experiences. [Wink]

quote:

But unfortunately all those were while I was an animal control officer. I got the priviledge of chasing down every escape artist, biting, trash digging and barking one of them.

quote:

Smart little boogers huh? [ROTFL][ROTFL]

Interesting.....

their are breeds i don't like the looks of ,but doesn't mean i hate that breed...

I don't like the way some people baby their dogs, let the m do whatever either, but i don't hate that dog, not it's fault for having an owner that doesn't know any better, refuses to learn refuses to train their dog..I blame the owner.

I don't like the look of the coonhound, i don't like how they are howl/bark contantly 24/7 in their kennel..

Lived next door to our ex-nieghbor who bred ,raised conhounds....also hunted deer with them....couldn't get a good nights sleep when they were hunting with tehm in our area, all one heard was those coonhounds a barking, all night long...

Do I hate them no.they were more of an annoying than anything....

a heeler,i didn't like... followed us home on our horses, kept nipping at our horses feet , the hind feet, yes our horses kicked at it.

that heelr wouldn't give up.until my husband squirted it with a hose..

That dog followed us two miles ..

Why didn't that owner tie that dog up,knowing taht dog does take off follow anything, even would attack vehicles.

I don't like the look of the poodle.either,but I don't hate the breed..I do know very well behaved ones ....

They just aren't my type of dog...period..

quote:

But I didnt figure yall would be so maniac about it. How about telling me something that *might* change my view on it. A little more to where it makes sense. Cause the only person who has said anything to show them to me in a different light is Pam and SG. I will listen to them and see what they have to say.

Okay... How 'bout this?

MY Ex & his Dad raise labs. The bouncy, obnoxious, chew on rocks & drop them on your feet kind of labs, that do this if you don't play fetch with them for 24 hours a day. (Yea, they needed something to do... but that's a whole 'nother rant. OWNERS' FAULTS!!!)

After our divorce, the ex's "Best" female bit my son in the face, & put him in the hospital for 4 days. He is scarred for life. Do I blame the dog? No. I blame ex's new wife who left the kid unsupervised with a dog.

Long story short, said Kid was TERRIFIED of big dogs. For a LONG time. ANY big dog.

The first time I took my kids to Honey's house, before we all moved in with him, my son was afraid to get out of the car, because of the 2 brindle Boxers staring him in the eye through the car window. Honey says, "Pete, Noodles, sit." Both dogs sat promptly on their butts.

Kid is SHAKING, but he gets out of the car on my side, & sticks to me like a wood tick. Both dogs came over to sniff, were not rude about it at all, and Pete brought his pull toy with him. Honey threw it, & began a whole new friendship between my now almost 9 yr old & a big dog. In no time, Pete was dragging a happy, giggling kid around the yard on his tummy, by the dog toy.

When we left that day, the kid almost cried, and asked if WE could get a dog like that.

When the kid is with us, Pete sleeps with him.

*I* Believe, that BECAUSE of a Boxer, my son has opened up and blossomed, and now has an interest in animals he lost almost 5 years ago in the hospital.

I always thought ALL boxers were the bouncy obnoxious untrainable monsters YOU did. But I was proved wrong.

Have a nice day.

Here's a confession, I have immensely disliked both dogs that d'papa has picked out and brought home. One of them I actually hated. Both are/were GSD's. I like my mutts and pit crosses and dogs of dubious origins but his 2 well bred GSD's make me crazy.

To each their own.

quote:

Actually noone used that term before the OP brought it up, so please reread. And actually if the term fits and all She stated in the first post that nobody elses opinions or any pictures will change her mind, well the defenition of a bigot is

Noun 1. bigot - a prejudiced person who is intolerant of any opinions differing from his own. So I will say again, if the term fits and all.....

And sure there are breeds that I do not like, however I see no need to hate them or go around bashing them

You might want to look in the mirror. You seem awfully offended that my opinion differs from you.

quote:

Yeah, what breeds of horses do you hate while we're at it...

And I may as well note, that I didn't realize you were this sort of person and hate a different look at you now... and that's a shame in it's self.

So because I dont like your favorite dog breed, I am voted off the island? Pam, I stated that I felt that yours was probably a nice ambassador of the breed, same as you work with many difficult horses. I am sorry if you feel that way.

quote:

Of course I expected folks to get mad. Why else would I post it? It still wont bother me. Why do you think I dont want heated responses?

Uhh so you are just trolling around for some good arguments then? Real mature

Why did you come to the debate board? To look for arguements.

quote:

I feel bad that you are so close minded to miss out on one of the best breeds of dogs by a few bad examples. Boxers are not for everyone. They are smart, high energy dogs, and if you don't know how to train or work with them, they can and will turn into holy terrors. Just like any breed of dog. I own a Boxer. She is my second. She will not be my last. She does not jump, she does not chase, she is amazing with kids, protects our house, takes everything like a pro. She does not "box" or "paw".

Yes I am closed minded. But I did say that I was willing to listen since so many folks are all heated up about it. I however will never own one. I dont care if it saves us from a burning building. But then again, I dont care for the look of any bully breeds.

quote:

I sometimes wish she was a purse dog so I could take her everywhere with me. A family member of mine breeds Boxers, they do agility and a few are service dogs. The breeder I got my dog from has show dogs, amazingly well behaved. My first Boxer came from the pound, where she was taken because the owners children had become allergic. After I adopted her, I called them and they were crying with joy that I lived so close and they could still come and visit. I do not like Heelers or Coonhounds, but I will not get into why. Everyone has different ideas about what makes a dog intelligent. I won't post a thousand pictures of my dog. Everyone has a different idea of what makes a dog beautiful too. As well as horses. I could go into why I hate QH's and how I think they are hideous and dumb, but I wont.

I have never seen or heard of them being used for service dogs. It has to be very rare. Feel free to tell me why you dont like coonhounds or heelers. I promise I wont call you a bigot. See, I know why people dont like heelers. I dont like certain aspects about them, and I dont think every single one of them are pretty. Actually I think a few of them are pretty. I dont allow mine around my horses or other peoples horses, I dont haul them to rodeos. One of mine is a rescue, and he is far from being pretty. Oh and as far as agility, I have several friends who compete in agility, no boxers. And at all the agility competitions I have gone to. No boxers. All the agility magazines I have read, no boxers. I am sure someone does, but not many. Oh, and coonhounds, I like to hear them bark, but not in the middle of the night. And they are far from smart or loyal. But from the south, coonhunting is fun. But we kept our old dog locked up in a large fenced area to prevent him from chasing deer.

quote:

UHmmm...I thought this was a debate board,how is someones "opinion" of a dog breed debateable?

Everything is debateable. Even underwear.

quote:

I say to each his own. I am sure there is alot of stuff everyone hates.

That is our own choice, I see nothing wrong with her hating that breed.

Even though Hate is maybe to strong of a word.

Hate is a strong word. But since I am now prevented from a friendship with my MIL because of her dog, it brings me to that point.

Oh and I did say it is the owners of that dog that led me to hating boxers. I said that it was lack of training, but the dog doesnt get the training she has had. Yall are very selective on what you choose to comment on. And I also said that it was my personality that led me to hate boxers. Get over it.

quote:

Qhridin- all I can say to the way a boxer looks is that beauty is in the eye of the beholder. I think my boxers are beautiful, but then I think that Chinese Crested are ugly... Some people I'm sure love them. I have never been around one so therefore I can't form an opinion.

I agree. But I dont like underbites on anything. Its a design flaw. I have seen bulldogs that have to be fed with a spoon cause they cant bite their dog food. Boxers and bulldogs are different breeds but they are similar. Oh and I dont like chinese crested dogs either.

quote:

Hate is kinda a strong word. I have no problem with boxers myself, but hey, to each his own

Since the word upsets some of you, I will edit the title of my post in a minute.

quote:

I have seen many well behaved, well trained Boxers.

ANY breed can act as you describe, without proper training.

The ones you should be "hating" are your In-Laws, for getting these animals knowing nothing about the breed, and then not giving them the proper training.

Don't blame the dogs, for the stupidity of the owners.

I have seen one. Owned by my trainer friend. She will be the first to admit to you that boxers are crazy. For every puppy she sells, she gives free training classes to. To help the owners control their maniac dog. Her words not mine.

quote:

Boxers are one of the few breeds that STAY PUPPY. If you don't do some training they will get into things. They love to live and are happy BOUNCY happy go lucky dogs

I have heard that. Not seen it. Your bouncy comment reminds me of Tigger. He gets on my nerves as well. I dont allow my children to bounce around either when they were young.

quote:

Honestly, it's not like she's saying to cull the breed entirely, just that it's not a breed she prefers

I will say if I never see one again, it would be great. But I know that is impossible. I did say that I would not go out of my way to miss one in the road. But I would hate to hurt my truck, and the dog should be contained and not in the road. That goes for any breed.

quote:

don't like the way some people baby their dogs, let the m do whatever either, but i don't hate that dog, not it's fault for having an owner that doesn't know any better, refuses to learn refuses to train their dog..I blame the owner.

I dont like babying dogs. But even babied, dogs shouldnt cause bodily harm because that is just the way they are.

quote:

MY Ex & his Dad raise labs. The bouncy, obnoxious, chew on rocks & drop them on your feet kind of labs, that do this if you don't play fetch with them for 24 hours a day. (Yea, they needed something to do... but that's a whole 'nother rant. OWNERS' FAULTS!!!)

After our divorce, the ex's "Best" female bit my son in the face, & put him in the hospital for 4 days. He is scarred for life. Do I blame the dog? No. I blame ex's new wife who left the kid unsupervised with a dog.

Long story short, said Kid was TERRIFIED of big dogs. For a LONG time. ANY big dog.

The first time I took my kids to Honey's house, before we all moved in with him, my son was afraid to get out of the car, because of the 2 brindle Boxers staring him in the eye through the car window. Honey says, "Pete, Noodles, sit." Both dogs sat promptly on their butts.

Kid is SHAKING, but he gets out of the car on my side, & sticks to me like a wood tick. Both dogs came over to sniff, were not rude about it at all, and Pete brought his pull toy with him. Honey threw it, & began a whole new friendship between my now almost 9 yr old & a big dog. In no time, Pete was dragging a happy, giggling kid around the yard on his tummy, by the dog toy.

When we left that day, the kid almost cried, and asked if WE could get a dog like that.

When the kid is with us, Pete sleeps with him.

*I* Believe, that BECAUSE of a Boxer, my son has opened up and blossomed, and now has an interest in animals he lost almost 5 years ago in the hospital.

I always thought ALL boxers were the bouncy obnoxious untrainable monsters YOU did. But I was proved wrong.

Now that is a good dog or two.

Funny funny.

I am not a dog person, I generally do not like them, and think that 99% of the dogs I know are totally ill trained. But I have only had good experiences with boxers so far.

There was this large house on a corner that I passed every day walking to HS. They had a pair of fawn boxers that always sat at the top of the driveway across from eachother. They looked like statues, they were SO regal and beautiful, just big, muscular creatures, quite lovely.

I have only gotten to know 1 boxer, and I really liked her. She was very sweet, but did require someone who was dominant, she didnt listen to her female owners well, she was more the husbands dog, listened to him really well.

So explain to me this:

Why is the behavior for boxers excuseable by the owners? I have heard many owners, even ones that I have met once or twice when they see my discusted look at having these big nasty paws all over me tell me that "Oh he is only like that cause it is a puppy. When he turnes 2 I will wake up and it will be a totally different dog."

And that is from just dogs I have seen in pet stores, at peoples houses.

Oh and in response to someone hating QHs. I dont like them all either. I dont like most barrel horses. Really that doesnt bother me.