qhridinGA

Why I *extremely dislike* Boxers

Maybe you should start reading the replies to your so-called debatable topic.

Each dog or horse is only as good as the training. It does not have to do with the breed what so ever.

[bang Head]

quote:

Originally posted by qhridinGA:

So explain to me this:

Why is the behavior for boxers excuseable by the owners? I have heard many owners, even ones that I have met once or twice when they see my discusted look at having these big nasty paws all over me tell me that "Oh he is only like that cause it is a puppy. When he turnes 2 I will wake up and it will be a totally different dog."

And that is from just dogs I have seen in pet stores, at peoples houses.

Oh and in response to someone hating QHs. I dont like them all either. I dont like most barrel horses. Really that doesnt bother me.

yawn--make a list of all these things you hate and torch it--just not in so. cal. honestly you'll feel better.

quote:

So explain to me this:

Why is the behavior for boxers excuseable by the owners? I have heard many owners, even ones that I have met once or twice when they see my discusted look at having these big nasty paws all over me tell me that "Oh he is only like that cause it is a puppy. When he turnes 2 I will wake up and it will be a totally different dog."

It's NOT, IMO. Same as bratty kids, spoiled horses, matted up little ankle biter shih tzus that come into my grooming shop, that have been banned from all other grooming shops. It's the people responsible for these animals that lets them GET that way.

Honey's Boxers still drool & blow bubbles when you eat in front of them...but they do not make eye contact, or jump on us. It's how they were brought up. BUT, if the kids leave something out where it shouldn't be, you bet your behind, it will be eaten when the kid gets back. Kid's fault, if they want it, they need to put it where it goes, House rule.

Thank you RNCG! [Huggy]

quote:

Originally posted by redneckcowgirlmn:

quote:

So explain to me this:

It's NOT, IMO. Same as bratty kids, spoiled horses, matted up little ankle biter shih tzus that come into my grooming shop, that have been banned from all other grooming shops. It's the people responsible for these animals that lets them GET that way.

Honey's Boxers still drool & blow bubbles when you eat in front of them...but they do not make eye contact, or jump on us. It's how they were brought up. BUT, if the kids leave something out where it shouldn't be, you bet your behind, it will be eaten when the kid gets back. Kid's fault, if they want it, they need to put it where it goes, House rule.

Here is a link for you. Unfortunatly you have to add the http in front of that link for it to work, horse city will not allow a link with parenthises in it.

http:

//en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boxer_(dog)

Perhaps you should read up and get some facts on the breed straight [Wink] They ARE used as service dogs, they ARE used in obedience and such.

More links for you to educate yourself on the breed [big Grin]

http://www.michiganboxerrescue.org/obed.html

Here is a link of Search and Rescue dogs, and LOOK there are Boxers in there [Roll Eyes]

http://www.jcsda.com/dogs.htm

And here is a link to one that is even deaf and a service dog....

http://vetmedicine.about.com/od/behaviortr...afservice_2.htm

[ 10-25-2007, 03:46 PM: Message edited by: Tatertots ]

I think 'to each his own'... I don't like certain breeds of dogs... Don't know why, I just don't.

But I don't 'hate' them. I would 'hate' an individual dog/dog owner but not the whole breed, if something VERY negative was associated with him/her.

I also don't think I could 'hate' the way a dog looks.. Sure it could be butt ugly, but to 'hate' it because it's ugly... No...

I will say this. I do have a Boxer. She's a shy girl. Not outgoing or annoying. I know this isn't really the breed norm. When I take her to 'Dog Club', every just loves her. She sits by my side and doesn't even try to socialize. Nope, I didn't train her to be like that. In fact I got her as an older puppy and tried my very bestest to get her out and socialize her. (Club, pet stores, park, car rides, etc). She is just not a social dog.

Now at home, she's a different dog. She plays with the kids and guards the house (well unless someone comes in..LOL). I bought a Boxer because they are such a family dog. I do wish she was a bit more social though..

PLUS I have a few Heelers. They are the most loyal, smart and obedient dogs I've ever trained.

I've also had Pits, Rotties, GSD, Poms, Chi's, Labs, Danes...hhmm actually quite a few breeds. They each had there own personalities, but non of them we annoying (I wouldn't let them be) and I trained them to behave.

What's the saying???? Train 'em, Don't blame 'em

So you found a few boxers that do some service. That is not the majority. I have seen police who use heelers for search and rescue, but I am not going to tell you that they excell at that and everyone should own one. Every dog should be able to do obedience. Except hound dogs. They just are not bright enough.

So you think bashing and innunendos are really going to win someone over to your cause. Get over it. If I dont have a boxer that means there will be more for you. If I said I didnt like JRTs you going to call me a bigot?

It seems like the owners are alot like their dogs. [Roll Eyes][Duh]

Differences make the world go round.

quote:

quote:

Originally posted by CanadianGolden:

Hmm, if Boxers can't be trained, how do you explain this?

Ch Sherwood?s Milesian, UDX, RAE, MX, AXJ, AXP, AJP

Sherwood?s Meghan In Motion, RAE, MX, MXJ

Sunchase's Suicide Blonde UDX, AX, AXJ, RN, AJP, OAP, BDA CD, BH, AD, CAN CD, TDI, HIC

INT'L CH. Sunchase's Zero to Hero UDX, MX, MXJ, RN, BDA CD, BH, AD, TDI, HIC

Sunchase's Caught Peeking UDX, AX, AXJ, TT, TDI, HIC

Sweet Georgie Girl UDX MX MXJ

Those are just a few. And if you don't know what any of those titles mean, then you have NO business talking about what breeds are and are not trainable.

Even a blind pig finds a hole every now and then.

Um...these were a few dogs on the first two links on a google search that turned up thousands of hits. Do you know what these titles mean? Do you know how difficult it is to get a UDX? Have you ever titled a dog? I didn't think so. A UDX is NOT the result of random chance.

quote:

Originally posted by cowgurlup1983:

i think op is just stateing her opinon to call her a bigot because she doesnt like a dog breed is plain stupid. I havent been around many boxers i think they're pretty and the only one i've been around was a excape artist and landed herself in the pound where she got out daliy. But i see where the op is comeing from she doesnt like the breed and she told you why. I can tell you why im not fond of minature pinchers my aunt has 4 and they never shut up ever no matter what they do so i dont like that breed they arent for me.

Boxers are not for the op just like ive seen topics about breeds of horses that are not for certain people i never saw one of them being called a bigot.

A bigot is someone who lumps together a group of individuals based on biased observations of a few representatives of that group. Saying things like "all boxers are ___" is exactly the same as saying "all black people are criminals". Not only is it a LIE, but it's bigoted! How is this hard to see?

quote:

Except hound dogs. They just are not bright enough.

You are confusing intelligence with tractability. This may be a result of your own lack of ability to think clearly.

You don't have to like any breed of dog. But the statements you are making are saying that you don't like them because they are "ALL" X, Y, and Z. This is not true. I don't care if your opinion is that it is true, because facts prove that your opinion is wrong. Boxers ARE trainable (Fact). Proof: many have advanced performance titles. Etc.

quote:

So you think bashing and innunendos are really going to win someone over to your cause. Get over it. If I dont have a boxer that means there will be more for you. If I said I didnt like JRTs you going to call me a bigot?

Where is this bashing you so speak of? And innuendos?? And also I don't have a "cause" just facts.

Also if you say you don't like JRTs then that is fine, but if you say that you don't like them because your inlaws can't train them then well yep that would be wrong.

quote:

It seems like the owners are alot like their dogs.
[Roll Eyes][Duh]

Bashing?? Innuendos?? Really now? [Roll Eyes] That was real mature.

And very tactful of you to change the topic title to *extremely dislike* from just *dislike* [Roll Eyes]

[ 10-25-2007, 06:07 PM: Message edited by: Tatertots ]

quote:

If I dont have a boxer that means there will be more for you.

I am glad! [big Grin] It would be a better world all around if breed knowledgable people owned them. [big Grin] Would save alot of dogs from miserable lives.

You really are taking this personally. I KNOW there are titled dogs out there of EVERY breed known to man. You can search any breed on the internet and find champions of the breed. Google skills.

I was asked why I didnt like a breed. I said it. Why does it bother you that I think the breed is dumb? Are you going to loose sleep over this tonight? Somehow in some magical world will my opinion rub off on someones dog?

Why do you(meaning everyone) take my opinion so personally?

Oh, I hate the color purple. [Roll Eyes]

Oh, I know dog titles. But they dont interest me, and I am not impressed. Not even titled ACDs. Dogs dont have to have papers.

I am talking about the laymans dog. I have seen way more monsters that were boxers than nice ones. Boxers are quite popular here.

The only boxer that I would ever pet was my dog trainers friends. Her dog was titled. Trained. She could tell her to stand up, and she would. She would stand on her hind legs, freeze till she said Ok, then she would come down. She never jumped on people. She could put a treat in the floor, tell her to leave it and the dog would never touch it. I was impressed. Well trained dog. Would I own it? No. This dog was great with kids. Still wouldnt own it. It was a boxer. She would even sneeze on command. Oh, she offered her to me, she was getting older and needed a quieter home with more individual attention. I turned her down. But you will be happy to know that she lives with a very nice older man, and has made a great pet for him.

So you don't hate boxers, you hate untrained, wild dogs. If you didn't hate your friend's dog, and it was the only example of a trained boxer you've seen, then you just hate untrained dogs of any breed.

quote:

And very tactful of you to change the topic title to *extremely dislike* from just *dislike*

Did you even read why? Probably not. The boxer drool is probably on your screen. Some said that Hate is a very strong word, and I said if it bothers you then I will change it.

So Tatertots. How well trained is your boxer? You seem the most upset over someone that you dont even knows, opinion of your breed.

Oh, I have a JRT mix. But I dont care if anyone likes her or not. I sure dont have to google search to find good examples of my breed. Because I wont loose sleep over it.

quote:

So you don't hate boxers, you hate untrained, wild dogs. If you didn't hate your friend's dog, and it was the only example of a trained boxer you've seen, then you just hate untrained dogs of any breed.

There is alot of truth to that. But pretty much all of the monster untrained dogs I see are.... Boxers. Wouldnt you form the same opinion? A girl here at my work breeds them. When she brings them here, they jump and claw and are out of control. I dont even enter my inlaws house any more. I ignore my SILs dog because he wants to crawl in my lap. My trainer friend will ask me to help sometimes with her class because she has a degenerative disk or few in her back. The boxers are all over me. She trains alot of them. People try to walk them on leashes and they are all over them bouncing. They may be happy, I see it as dumb. I dont daily work with my dogs. I work alot. But I can walk out there at any time, and clip a leash on my dogs and walk them. I could do it from the time they were pups. Never have had a problem. Both my heelers have had rocky starts. It became my responsiblity to make them good citizens.

But why is there so many bad behaved boxers versus other breeds? I watch alot of dogs. I watch them in public places. I hike the local trails. I see alot of dogs. Even with lack of training, I accrue the jumping pawing to being a dumb dog. I dislike dogs that naturally jump on people.

I call our lab, a Labradumb. To me she is dumb as well. And I own her.

I can see hateing a breed.

Breeds I would NEVER own and if given to me would NOT come in my home:

Goldens

JRT

Rottie

Boxer

Dobbie

Mastif

and most all "ankle bitters" [Razz]

That said this is one of my "kids":

-

Kman have been around him since he was a puppy, wonderful boy. I am NOT a dobbie fan in general I can not stand the breed. He is my bud my neurodic spazitic only alowed to come over to visit OUTSIDE and for short stays buddy. [Razz] He is cool at his house though.

I have a GSD right now LOVE her to bits HATE her fuzzies all over in my house [bang Head] I WILL NOT be getting another GSD. For that reason and I can not stand Amercian bred GSDs(yes there IS a differance). I was NOT a fan of Labs but I LOVE my lab Ellie and our friends two Maggie and Bodo. [Confused] In my home town in PA labs are stupid and nasty. However, our friends searched long and hard for thier two found good OLD working dog bloodlines.

OH and my dogs know I AM THE BOSS! We can dance and wiggle but we do not touch humans unless we ar invited to. I have balance issuse at times with my epilepsy and can NOT be slamed into. I will NOT have it. Not to mention with arthritis getting banged around in the fall, winter and spring hurts. [surrender]

[ 10-25-2007, 07:00 PM: Message edited by: tequilaskye ]

quote:

Originally posted by redneckcowgirlmn:

Remind me not to bring my Miniature Golden Dober-rotten-box-a-mastiff-terrier to tequila's house!

[ROTFL]

(Sorry, couldn't stop myself from typing!!!)

Funny [Roll Eyes]

Just wanted to share with you QH a few stories of my beloved boxer and why I love the breed or maybe it was just him.. [Question]

Our cat had a liter and they were kept upstairs, Tuff tried his best to get as closed to the kittens as he could..Since he was just a babe himself (maybe a year) I was a little nervous to let him near..I gave in and let him go, he walked so gingerly around those kittens and layed down with them and momma..From that day forward those were his babies to..He took care of them and protected them..

Also our lab raided a chicken house and brought one in the front yard..Tuff picked that chick up like it was his baby and brought it to me...And yes I saved the chick..While he carfully watched over us..

If I was sitting outside in a chair Tuff would come up and lay his head on my lap and with those big brown eyes just stare at me, never moving as long as I was in that chair..

When grandbaby was little we would put her on Tuffs back to pretend she was riding a horse and he would let her ride around on him..Tried to do the same with the Labs THEY SAT DOWN... [Duh]

He also was a ham and loved to pose for pictures...A matter of fact he was in my daughters engagment photos... [ROTFL]

These are just a few stories as to why I loved this dog..When he died my husband and I cried like babies and took the whole day off to bury him...I still miss his kindness everyday and am tearing up just typing this...I have never been more effected by ANY animal till this one... [Me Cry][Me Cry]

No. She just hates boxers period. She doesn't want to see pictures either. And she hates the color purple.

I miss all the fun coz I am sleeping while you guys are going at it.

However, the original poster did say in another thread that she HATED Boxers and that if she was driving she would not try to avoid one in the road. Now her feelings have gone from "hate" to "dislike". Maybe that's progress.

I have probaly owned more Boxers than anyone else on this BB and I LOVE the breed. Always will. I no longer own a Boxer because my last one (my last home bred AKC Champion by the way) died of old age and gave up the breed. I still ooooh and aaaah whenever I see one and still think they are one of the best breeds ever.

Sorry you feel that way, but I have to add that I LOVE all dogs and would no more consider running one down in the road, then I would jumping off a tall building. However, as I have stated elsewhere there are some dogs I would not own because of the characteristics of their breed.

How many boxers have you known in your life?

How many of those boxers were "ugly" and "un-trainable" in your opinion?

How many of those boxers were well behaved, sweet, loving dogs?

I'm only asking because most people I have heard say they hate an entire breed base that opinion on a fraction of the population of the breed.

I, personally, in my veterinary medicine career, estimate that I've dealt with over a hundred boxers. I've worked with them in situations that fearfulness, timidness, and agressiveness comes out in full force. I've been knocked across a room by one when trying to hold it for sedation. I held that same dog's head and cried with the owner when he was put down 4 years later.

I don't hate any breed. And I've worked with a lot of dogs. Of course there are breeds I'd never own, like Chows, Poms, Bostons, Bulldogs, but I don't hate any dog. Not even the ones that want to rip me to shreads in an exam room or the ones we have to put down because they are threatening a child. In most cases (not all), it's the OWNER'S fault.

No, I don't hate any dog. Sometimes I do hate owners though.

Hey Mudder! You found your spoon!

SG- see those sound like good dogs. I have never seen one like that. Both my MILs boxers have tried to attack our little JRT. Who is handicapped.

But even growing up, when I went to peoples houses that had them, the dogs were crazy. I never understood why people would want one and I didnt have much experience with them.

Someone asked how many boxers I know or have known.

Lets see.... The 2 the lady at work breeds all the time, My trainer friend owns 2, The one my trainer friend gave away, my MIL is on her second, my SIL is on her first, my husband cousin owned 2, a vet friend has 2, I have seen and been around 10+ consistantly with classes and there are more.

How many of them were good for nothing? Most of them. The only ones that were worth anything was the 2 grown ones my trainer friend owns. The 3rd that she has is an owner surrender, they gave her back to her from one of her litters. She was a monster. Broke the trainers finger and everything. The vet friends dogs were aggressive. They growled at everyone. All the other ones were pretty much just rude. Oh and none of them were pretty. But I dont like dogs that look like that.

So by association, I have come to not like any of them.

[ 10-25-2007, 09:13 PM: Message edited by: qhridinGA ]

Sorry QH, but this is cause Mudder said you didn't want it..I was respecting you but not her... [ROTFL][ROTFL]

If I had more I would post'em but this is the only one on my comp...I might just have to scan more just to agrivate Mudder... [Razz]

THE BESTEST DOG THAT EVER WAS...............

-

Thats ok SG. I will print it out and put it in my cabinets to keep the roaches away.

[Wink]

Or I can always smack them with mudders spoon.

That's because you know a LOT of irresponsible dog owners! Anyone who is breeding two of their pet dogs is an idiot. Anyone who doesn't train their dogs properly (as your family clearly doesn't) is not a responsible dog owner. And the dogs owned by your trainer are the ones you like, and she sounds responsible. Would you hate an untrained dog of another breed? I bet you would. Don't blame the dog, blame its idiot owners. There are plenty of untrained, obnoxious, in-your-face cattledogs, and plenty of lovely boxers. And that's true of EVERY breed.