Sign in to follow this  
equicrzy

White German Shepherds.....AKC Registered?

quote:

Originally posted by charliegirl:

quote:

Originally posted by Bumper:

Cost is never a failsafe indication of worth. People pay $700-2500 for a "designer dog" (a MUTT) with no health guarantee. I sell my registered, health tested and guaranteed (hips and eyes gauranteed for LIFE) purebreds who are proven hunters and field trialers for $700.

Anyone who pays a big price for MUTT (or an off color of a breed that is NOT recognized by that breed) is getting the shaft. Pure and simple.

HTTY & GBTUSA

BUMPER

If someone has the money to spend and they are happy with the price how are they getting shafted?? Im buying a stock horse x QH for $4000 he is a cross and Im not getting shafted there either. Big whoop to have some pretty reg and ped dog. Mine is pure shepherd with vet bill of health and known parentage. So what if he isnt the so called right colour.

We're not talking horses here, so let's not muddy the waters. It's just too different.

Anyone buying an "off" color that is unapproved by the breed registry and is marketed as "rare" or "unique" and priced at 4 or 5 times what it's worth is getting shafted. Period. Now if that same dog were priced in a normal fashion as a hunting, working or companion animal that's fine, but MY point was pricing a dog HIGHER because it's color is "unique" (when it's in fact undesireable by the breed registry) is BS, and anyone who buys into it deserves to be shafted.

As for the designer dog market, which also fits in here, people will pay HUNDREDS of dollars (and sometimes thousands) for a "breed" that is not a breed but a mutt and is not health tested at all. Hybrid vigor is a myth...crossing two purebreds does not automatically cancel out any health issues, and in fact the resulting pups might have health issues from BOTH breeds.

HTTY & GBTUSA

BUMPER

[ 01-04-2008, 09:46 AM: Message edited by: Bumper ]

Oigionally posted by Bumper:

quote:

Anyone buying an "off" color that is unapproved by the breed registry and is marketed as "rare" or "unique" and priced at 4 or 5 times what it's worth is getting shafted. Period. Now if that same dog were priced in a normal fashion as a hunting, working or companion animal that's fine, but MY point was pricing a dog HIGHER because it's color is "unique" (when it's in fact undesireable by the breed registry) is BS, and anyone who buys into it deserves to be shafted

Same with those that buy the so called "giant" or oversized "origional style" German Shepherds.

Breeds are also the size they are FOR A REASON. The huge GSDs are no where NEAR as athletic as the "normal" sized ones. People hae the nerve to call them the "old style" but I have seen several pictures of the "breed founders" and they were NOT large dogs.

You know the saying: "There is a FOOL born every minute and NONE of them ever die"! As long as this is true, folks will continue to breed "designer mutts", and off colored dogs. As well as "Oversized" ones and "Minis". [Roll Eyes] Because there are "fools" that will buy them for a ton of money.

quote:

quote:

Originally posted by charliegirl:

quote:

Cost is never a failsafe indication of worth. People pay $700-2500 for a "designer dog" (a MUTT) with no health guarantee. I sell my registered, health tested and guaranteed (hips and eyes gauranteed for LIFE) purebreds who are proven hunters and field trialers for $700.

Anyone who pays a big price for MUTT (or an off color of a breed that is NOT recognized by that breed) is getting the shaft. Pure and simple.

HTTY & GBTUSA

BUMPER

If someone has the money to spend and they are happy with the price how are they getting shafted?? Im buying a stock horse x QH for $4000 he is a cross and Im not getting shafted there either. Big whoop to have some pretty reg and ped dog. Mine is pure shepherd with vet bill of health and known parentage. So what if he isnt the so called right colour.

We're not talking horses here, so let's not muddy the waters. It's just too different.

Anyone buying an "off" color that is unapproved by the breed registry and is marketed as "rare" or "unique" and priced at 4 or 5 times what it's worth is getting shafted. Period. Now if that same dog were priced in a normal fashion as a hunting, working or companion animal that's fine, but MY point was pricing a dog HIGHER because it's color is "unique" (when it's in fact undesireable by the breed registry) is BS, and anyone who buys into it deserves to be shafted.

As for the designer dog market, which also fits in here, people will pay HUNDREDS of dollars (and sometimes thousands) for a "breed" that is not a breed but a mutt and is not health tested at all. Hybrid vigor is a myth...crossing two purebreds does not automatically cancel out any health issues, and in fact the resulting pups might have health issues from BOTH breeds.

HTTY & GBTUSA

BUMPER

What Bumper said...I agree 100%.

Some people buy a 'uniquely' colored dog, pay 2-3 times the cost of the 'normal' colored ones, and think they have something special, and rare.

When in fact, they have a dog that isn't even recognized by the AKC as an acceptable example of the breed.

How 'rare' and 'special' can a dog be, if the AKC won't even acknowledge it? That's GOT to tell ya something.

I have a good friend who bought a "rare white shepard" *****. The dog was extremely nervous and non trustworthy from the very beginning. It seems that there is something wrong with these dogs from perhaps inbreeding to get the color as you need to breed two whites together to get white.

You could have a point there, wprider.

I can just see the breeders inbreeding their dogs to death, just to be able to sell them to unsuspecting buyers, as 'rare', and then charging them 2-3 times the going price for Shepherds....and laughing all the way to the bank.

I will be the first to admit I own an "odd-colored" dog. I own a sable and white border collie which are more uncommon (should never be advertised as rare) in the breed than the traditional blacks/reds and whites. However, when shepherds first began the BC breed, color had no bearing on their working ability so any colors were acceptable. I did not pay any more for him because of his coloring nor would I. He came from excellent cowdog lines and that was what I was looking for. I did not buy him for his coloring (I was actually looking for a smooth black and white but loved his breeding).

I didnt pay the money for him because he was something different or so called rare. I really liked the white. I think the white ones over here are only $200 or so more than the ones who are the right colour. I do agree that people who spend nearly a thousand on something thats 3 crosses of a small breed are slightly mad. We owned kennels for 15years and saw many breeds and mutts. I like my crosses as it seems when I pay big money for a pure breed it goes and hurts its self. I paid $1000 for my Bengal, she got out of the house and ran straight into the jaws of the neighbours dog. Our working dogs are cross breed. My own dog is dingo kelpie, the dingo made her tough and the kelpie gave her cattle sence. I really am starting to ramble and go way off track now

Can we see a picture of your dog? [Jump] And anyone else with Shepherds, no matter the color, post your's too!