Pamela

If your horse got out and was hit by a car

In my state, the horse owner is liable for the damages. But, if your car's book value is less than you owe, I'd say you will have to sue him for the difference. Your husband should not sign anything saying he has no medical issues from the wreck until the whole thing is settled.

Ok thank you.  I didn't know where to begin after calling my insurance company.  So I need to get a lawyer to get the owner to pay the  difference

If you get a lawyer you will NOT receive enough money to pay the balance you owe after you've paid the lawyer and you will *still* have to pay the remaining balance.
You need to look into taking the owner to Small Claims Court yourself - you do not need a lawyer for SCC.

If someone is paying for a car, aren't they required to have Full Coverage, which would pay the balance if the vehicle is totaled?

I would think your insurance  agent could put pressure on owner of horse to cover part of your loss.  At least they could advice you the best route to take to get the money you need.  PD

wow this post is from 2008. 

in Germany you have insurance for this kind of occurrence, we have a policy that covers horses and dog.

They will only pay me what the cars worth with my full coverage insurance.  Its taxed at about 2 grand so that's all they will pay me. And then I would still owe 3 grand to pay it off

KC,   I do hope you can find a workable solution to this problem,  The owner of dead horse owes you the difference in money, he might not have home owners insurance, but I would think you could put a judgement against anything he owns of similar value.  & any person worth his salt, would do what was right thing.  Best Wishes. PD