Sign in to follow this  
youngreiner

Lazy, Sleepy Teenagers?

Does a teenager that sleeps in late on weekends or even breaks from school automatically make them lazy?

I'm talking about sleeping until near noon or even till one PM.

Would you say that they are lazy?

What if they stayed up later, which meant they went to bed in the wee hours of the morning?

Would/should they still be called lazy even if they accomplished things while they were awake, which could be in the afternoons to even late at night?

Hypothetical situation:

Jay, a coming 18 year old, sleeps until the late hours of morning, and sometimes the early hours of the afternoon. He gets good grades in school, and rarely misses. He get things done while he is awake, but goes to bed in the wee hours of the morning. People repeatedly tell him he is lazy, because he doesn't wake up in the mornings.

Lazy or not?

How do you define lazy?

I would say probably not lazy.

People tend to forget (or not know) that teenagers need more sleep than adults or even young children, on a physiological level (they need about 9.5 hours of sleep, while adults usually need around 8).

The hormones flooding through their systems, etc, totally change their "wiring" as far as sleep patterns go- which is why Jay, there, likes to stay up late and do things at night, then has trouble waking up in the morning.

Now, if he has obligations that he has agreed to or must do (chores, or a job), then he'd better set his alarm and get to it, and take a nap in the afternoon. But if sleeping in isn't hurting anything or causing him to miss obligations, then let the boy sleep.

http://parentingteens.about.com/cs/teensan...nssleepwell.htm

What GT said... I have gone through three teenage boys of my own. Godness, could they sleep [Roll Eyes] but like you said, they usually spent most of the night reading, playing games, or whatever... But they grew up and somehow became 'normal' adults with normal sleep patterns. [Razz]

Lazy.

Seriously, eight hours of sleep a night is plenty for anyone. Okay, maybe you got in late the night before...so sleep until 9 or 10. But noon or one in the afternoon? Get your butt out of bed and do something productive.

Nah, just normal developmental patterns.

Lazy = no effort in school, not meeting deadlines, letting others do things for them that they should be doing themselves, etc.

Both my kids did the "stay up late, sleep in long" thing too. My 18 year old is coming out of it now, my 14 year old still sleeps until noon. I choose my battles, this isn't one of them.

quote:

Originally posted by hesacatch:

Lazy.

Seriously, eight hours of sleep a night is plenty for anyone.

Oh really? Like for babies? And for young children? I'll tell all the parents I know to "wake up that infant, it's being lazy!"

I don't roll out of bed until 9-10am most mornings, unless I have an appointment to keep. Then again, I don't go to bed/sleep until after 2-3am. This means I usually only get about 6 hours of sleep a night. I try to catch a nap in the afternoon, but that is hit/miss and usually only an hour at best.

Animals are cared for, house is cared for. I like to sew/quilt late at night after the husband has gone to bed and then I'll give the house a quick-clean so husband wakes up to a clean house.

I am not lazy, even if I do sleep 'late'.

What is normal according to what other people determine may not be normal for another person. My health problems dictate my life and I must schedule my routine around my health problems or I will wind up in a bad situation.

Everyone does not have to get up at the butt-crack of dawn to be considered productive.

IMO, "Jay" is NOT lazy.

quote:

Originally posted by youngreiner:

Jay, a coming 18 year old,

[ROTFL] and who else but a horse person would describe a human's age like this? I love it! [ROTFL]

i'm in college right now.

monday through thursday, i have an eight o'clock class. so i wake up between six and seven every day.

i'm in art school. every class i take, i can assure you, is way more work than any class i would ever take at regular college. i've never handed in a late project and i get my work done.

on the weekends you bet that i'm sleeping in until eleven or noon. or even later if i want to.

and i'm raising my middle finger to anyone who dares call me lazy.

Definition of Laziness:

Laziness is the lack of desire to perform work or expend effort

So since "Jay" is getting all of his work done, and not being late to school or with assignments, then no he cannot be called lazy.

I remember as a teen anything less than 10 hours and you DID NOT want to be near me. Only my horse was safe from the wrath of my attitude. Now as a 24 year old I still need at least 9 hours of sleep. That is a lot more than my dad needs and still a bit more than my mom. But if I sleep less I'm tired all day, can't concentrate or even perform job duties in the same manner. But if I sleep more than 10 hours I get the same affect, so that is to much sleep. So each person is a different story.

My sleep habits are still all messed up, mainly due to my husband switching from days to nights every month. But on my days off I sleep til noon and still manage to get the bills paid, closthes clean and put away, house cleaned, and dinner on the table by 7:15p.m. and get online and gab on here and other sites. And if that is lazy to some, then I'm lazy. But I get more done than most of my friends by 5p.m. and they get up at 8 every morning.

If it's "vacation" time or the weekend and there's nothing he's supposed to be doing, why would it be considered lazy?

Because he's up later than other people so they don't "see" him doing stuff? And because they don't see it, it doesn't count?

I work with a guy like that. He goes into the office around 5am. He sometimes makes comments about me being "lazy" because I don't get to the office til 9. Yeah, well, he leaves at noon. I leave at 6:30 or 7pm. Just because I'm not there the whole time he is doesn't mean I'm lazy. Count up those hours. Who is working more?

Yeah, he goes to bed at 8 pm and I'm usually just getting home. And then messing with horses, and making dinner, and doing laundry etc etc. He has a wife at home doing those things for him (really, she does). So ALL he does during the week is get up, go to work, get home eat dinner, go to bed.

Grrr.

And further, if the kid is on vacation, why does it matter if he sleeps in and relaxes?

PS: I slept til 11 today. [smile] Now I'm drinking coffee and listening to music and relaxing. Plan to do that for about another 30 minutes. Then I will wash floors.

Well, as I just woke up and read this, at umm . . . 12:10pm, I figure I'll just have a say.

Nope, I'm not lazy. In fact, I was already out at the barn for an hour and half in the cold dark hours of the morning, and then took a nap.

Would have ridden too, if the ring wasn't frozen.

I love to sleep though.

quote:

Lazy.

Seriously, eight hours of sleep a night is plenty for anyone. Okay, maybe you got in late the night before...so sleep until 9 or 10. But noon or one in the afternoon? Get your butt out of bed and do something productive.

When you are growing and developing, your body uses more energy. While some of this energy comes from food, sleep is equaly important.

I'm almost always tiered. I'm a night person, so I always stay up to at least 11. Might not be to bad if I didn't have to get up at 5:30 on weekdays, however I usually fall a sleep for 5 minutes here or there when no ones looking. On the weekends I stay up till around 12 or 1 and wake up at 8 or 9, unless I have church. So, I usually run on 6 hours of sleep. Even when I get a full 8 I feel tiered because my sleeping patterns are mixed up. So it's easy to say that I often have proublems staying awake while learning about the wonders of imperialism.

quote:

Lazy.

By all means, don't read what anyone else said and think about it or try to learn something new.

HTTY & GBTUSA

BUMPER

quote:

Lazy.

Actually no. Read what everyone else has just said, teenagers especially need way more sleep than adults, but not most teenagers get that.

I have sleep apnea and RLS and I don't do anything for either. I also have mono. So I'm just tired constantly. I don't know what it's like to wake up they do in those sleep aid commercials lol.

Not lazy.

Lazy is doing nothing productive. Lazy is sitting in front of the TV when chores (or whatever) need to be done.

As much and as hard as I work, I deserve to sleep in. If my alarm clock didn't wake me up, I'd naturally get up at 1pmish. Not even joking. And that is when I'd get in bed at 10pm.

I don't call that lazy but I may be a little biased... Lol

Well I am a teenager and on weekends I get up about 10 00 or 11 00 sometimes at 1pm or 2pm. I feed all of my horses at 9:00 and then go back to sleep. At 2 00 (sometimes 3) I go to work.

To be honest, I have no chores at all in the house besides keeping my room clean which I do. (Our house is spotless at all times BTW). I keep myself busy.. I don't watch T.V at all but I do play video-games for about an hour. I stay on the computer for about 2 hours or less a day.

School days I get up at 5 30 and come home at 3:30, and when I get home I go to work. SO sleeping in on the weekends is kinda of like a "treat".

My GPA is 4.0, and I am a school officer (treasurer) so I am very active in my school, so that keeps me busy.

Plus I have hobbies like horse riding and playing music. I ride for about 6 hours a week on a horse, and probably 4-5 different horses a week. That's my job, I get paid for it too, and cleaning a barn. and I go "out" to hang out with my friends occasionally, but I do have my priorities straight, and I don't party all the time or come home drunk... like some people do.

In my free time, I am probably in my pajamas sleeping at 4 00 in the afternoon. Last night I went to the movies at 9 45 and came home at 12 30, didn't go to sleep until 2 30.

Do you consider me lazy?

[ 02-03-2008, 01:53 PM: Message edited by: Inspired cowgirl ]

quote:

Originally posted by CanadianGolden:

quote:

Lazy.

Oh really? Like for babies? And for young children? I'll tell all the parents I know to "wake up that infant, it's being lazy!"

Obviously it's different for babies and elderly people. That's not what I meant.

And, you know, there is such a thing as getting too much sleep, which can make you tired. If people are sleeping until noon and wondering why they're still tired, that's probably why.

quote:

quote:

quote:

Lazy.

Obviously it's different for babies and elderly people. That's not what I meant.

And, you know, there is such a thing as getting too much sleep, which can make you tired. If people are sleeping until noon and wondering why they're still tired, that's probably why.

Oh, so not "anyone". Since you said anyone, I thought that was what you meant. So if the elderly and infants get an exception, why not teenagers. Infants sleep a lot because they are growing. So are teenagers. What's the difference? Teens also have a slightly different clock than adults--studies have shown that teenagers naturally go to bed later and get up later than adults. Does it make an adult lazy if they go to bed early? [Roll Eyes]

[ 02-03-2008, 02:25 PM: Message edited by: CanadianGolden ]

quote:

Originally posted by Bumper:

quote:

Lazy.

By all means, don't read what anyone else said and think about it or try to learn something new.

HTTY & GBTUSA

BUMPER

I will remind you, as you've reminded me on several occasions, that this is an open debate board. Meaning, everyone has their own opinions and everyone is entitled to them. So, if you'd be so kind, please don't go telling me that my opinion is wrong.

[Wink] Thanks a bunch.

quote:

Lazy.

sorry, but no... what about babies??.. or when your sick??.. theres no set amount of time that is "plenty for anyone". [Roll Eyes]

its a proven fact that kids especially teenagers need more sleep than we as adults do. because their bodies are growing and changing, where as, ours are just maintaining.

There are morning people and night people-I am a night person...usually don't go to bed till midnight. HATE getting up early (before 9). Yet, I clean stalls, kennels, feed, so no-I'm not lazy...and run a business plus work.

I have just found that I do better on a late shift.

quote:

quote:

quote:

Lazy.

Yes, but most people, especially teenagers, who sleep in till noon did not go to bed until 2 or 3 maybe even later. Or they haven't gotten any sleep all week. There are plenty or reasons for someone to sleep in that late. Before my dad quit his job at the steel factory, he would sometimes work a 12 hour day, or night, at work then come home and work for another 12 at home, he was starting up his buisness, and then crass and sleep for quite sometime.

Not lazy IMO [smiley Wavey]

My fifteen year old sleeps very late on Sundays, her one day "off". On school days she gets up at 5 a.m. [Eek!] At horse shows she works at, or even competes in, sometimes she's up well past midnight and up at 4 or 5 to get the work done.

During breaks she'll sleep late one or 2 other days, but usually she wants to take the transit but down to the barn which means getting up at 6.

She's getting good grades, but is somewhat "lazy" about getting her room and bathroom clean. [Crazy]

Kyla Wahlstrom, a researcher at the University of Minnesota's Center for Applied Research and Educational Improvement, argues that adolescents "need increasing amounts of sleep." As children move through the teen years, she says, they need at least nine hours of sleep a night in order "to avoid behaviors associated with sleep deprivation."

Sleep patterns are tied to the output of melatonin, a hormone secreted by the pineal gland and controlled by the body's internal timepiece, or circadian clock. High levels of melatonin produces sleepiness; low levels of the hormone make one feel awake. Through research on the interaction of circadian rhythms and melatonin, Carskadon has found that the natural sleep patterns of adolescents differ from adults.

"One ordinarily experiences sleep pressure to be greatest at bedtime and least on waking up," she writes. But in her research, she has found that adolescents have different patterns: "The circadian pressure to sleep?regardless of how long an individual has been awake?was greatest right as the melatonin secretion was about to turn off, about an hour before 'normal' waking up time," she writes. "The circadian pressure to stay awake was greatest right before melatonin secretion was about to begin, about an hour before 'normal' bedtime."

Basically, this boils down to the notion that when all the adults are waking up and getting ready to go to work, high school kids are just getting down to serious sleep. This is why a number of researchers and educators has begun to advocate later start times for schools.

sleep

quote:

quote:

Originally posted by Bumper:

quote:

Lazy.

HTTY & GBTUSA

BUMPER

I will remind you, as you've reminded me on several occasions, that this is an
open debate board.
Meaning, everyone has their own opinions and everyone is entitled to them. So, if you'd be so kind, please don't go telling me that my opinion is wrong.

[Wink]
Thanks a bunch.

And in a debate, it's important to accept new ideas if they are valid.

Some teenagers need more sleep, just as some adults need more...or less...sleep. Everyone's metabolic clock is different.

But it's still a valid point that many teenagers require more sleep than adults or younger children. It's a scientific fact, not just a anecdotal story.

Yes, sleeping too long can create the opposite effect and make someone more tired. But we're talking about teenagers and their metabolism and sleep requirements. While that might be applicable in some cases, it sure doesn't sound like it's the case for the OP.

HTTY & GBTUSA

BUMPER

Definitely NOT lazy. I'm a eight hours of sleep person. Normally I go to bed around 11, get up around 7. During the summer, that tends to shift to 9:30 or 10 and getting up at 5:30 or 6. For a while, my schedule was such that I felt like I was becoming nocturnal. I was up until 4 or 5, and then I slept noon or one. I was still WORKING at 4 am - I was hardly being lazy sleeping until noon. What about those third-shifters? And yes, it's been proven repeatedly that teens need more sleep....I'd say lazy if the kid were actually going to bed at 9pm, sleeping until 1, and then playing computer games while awake [Wink] But if he's being productive during his wake hours, I don't see what makes him lazy.

Sounds like he's typically operating on eight hours of sleep, so I don't think sleep deprivation or oversleeping is a factor here...

On school days, I wake up at 6 in the morning and go to bed at about 11:30, falling asleep somewhere around midnight.

I get home from school at 3:00, I immediately shower and leave for the barn. I stay there doing chores until at least 6:00. I come home, immediately begin homework, then take a break to help cook supper and to eat, then I continue to work on homework/study/work on assignments until about 11:00. Then I spend the rest of my time getting ready for bed. Sometimes during those days I'll get on the computer for a few minutes to relax, but that's it. My schedule is packed. I get about six hours of sleep per night, and while I can usually run on that much sleep during the days, by the end of the week I'm very tired. So yeah, on Friday I'll go to sleep and I'll sleep until 11 the next day. I don't consider myself lazy, I'm just worn out.

I WILL get all necessary chores done. I'll help out around the house. I've never turned in late work, I've never cut school or been late to school. During the summer, I'll sleep late for a few days, then I'll start waking up around 9 once I have more energy.

Everyone's different. Some can function on very little sleep, others need more. There's a huge difference between being lazy and being tired/needing the rest to function properly throughout the day.