Sign in to follow this  
sylvesmiller

Does dog hair in the house equal a dirty house?

My indoor GSD, Champ sheds a huge amount of hair. Even though we vaccumm at least two times a week, I still find his hair (and my hair- err!) ALL over the place. My hubby and I joke "Champy Poo hair EVERYWHERE!" I mean, we find the hair at times in our food. When I step out of the shower, I feel like I coat my feet in fresh doggie hair within seconds. The hair gets all over my baby's hands, face and clothes when she plays on the floor...etc, etc, etc. The hair is out of control.

Is my house dirty, in your opinion, because of all the dog hair?

[ 02-24-2008, 08:07 PM: Message edited by: Sylves ]

I've got a well loved, long haired old Golden Retriever. We've got red hair everywhere! My daughter-in-law is allergic to cats and dogs, so I vacuum twice a day. Then we're all happy!

My GSD sheds like crazy too. So much so that I vaccuume every other day. However, it only takes me about 5 minutes or so to do that so I really don't mind. But yes I can't STAND dog/cat hair and I do think that it looks dirty.

Not "Trading Spaces" with mydakota!!

I love your tile floor. That sade of blue is my very favorite color! It is like a California sky minus the smog!

I have a Black Lab/Rottie mix that could outshed all three of mydakota's dogs put together [Razz] I don't think he's really a big dog, I think he's just all hair. I love the silly boy anyway! [big Grin]

Now as for my Springer, she doesn't lose a single hair! [big Grin]

Well if it means the house is dirty, i live in a pigsty. Or a dog kennel, LOL. FIVE dogs and FIVE cats indoors.

[big Grin]

HTTY & GBTUSA

BUMPER

quote:

Originally posted by danigirldng:

[ROTFL]

mydakota- Sadly, I don't think there is any hope for you! But they do look like a happy bunch!

Absolutely no hope--no hope at all!! [ROTFL]

Bumper has me beat though. I ony have 2 housecats to add to that bunch. And 2 hamsters.And 2 cockatiels and a Quaker Parrot. Pound for pound, a bird is the messiest pet there is, I swear.

"Thanks" about the tile! [smile] Hubby is a tile guy by trade!

[ 02-24-2008, 08:59 PM: Message edited by: mydakota ]

By some folk's standards, yes your house would be dirty.

My attitude on housework has always been it will be there tomorrow and there are much more important things in life than keeping a perfect house! [Crazy]

There have been some folks that I work with that are horrified at the thought of finding dog hair on the food or the cat jumping up on the counter. I couldn't live any other way, personally. [Razz]

i have two black labs, and a black DSH cat. the cat sheds more than the dogs, and i have hair EVERYWHERE. i HATE carpet. but i vaccum at least once a day. i have the cat food on top of the dryer, and i wipe it down daily, and the next day it looks like he litterally skinned himself.

my carpet in my living room is a darker tan. and my bedroom is pink. this summer we're FINALLY (after 4 years of living here) getting hardwood floors, so i can just swiffer daily. lol.

Depends on how MUCH dog hair...I mean if you've got tumbleweeds of dog hair rolling through the house then yes it's dirty LOL (And we've had a couple of those on occasion!) But so long as you can still see the floor and the vents aren't completely clogged with hair I don't think it's that bad. Now it WOULD be nice to be able to towel off without getting a faceful of hair once in awhile!

Well I only have the beagles inside. But it seems that they have left a part of themselves everywhere.

I try, but it's there. By some people's standards it's dirty.

But those are the same people who don't understand why my dog sleeps on the bed.

It's their home too.

But things may improve. I bought the Dyson Animal yesterday. [Wink]

I'll bid you 5 inside dogs and NO inside cats ... here's the trump. I live in a travel trailer. My collective dogs weigh about 275#. Four of them sleep with me.

Do I win? Do I? DO I???

[Crazy]

We have a German Shepherd and a Pug. They shed something fierce but we vacuum and sweep daily. I'm definitely not Martha Stewart, but I don't like dog hair everywhere. So I spend about 30 minutes a day vacuuming, sweeping, and dusting.

welll...

-

heehee. well, actually, four of them are my sister's and her boyfriend's, and they don't live here. but you can imagine what THEIR house looks like... [Wink]

If you don't mind all that dog hair, then your house isn't dirty. I'll be honest I wouldn't enjoy it, but that is just me. I've cleaned after kids and grandkids, don't want to clean up after a dog or cat. I love animals, but prefer them outside. Now because we see things differently, it does make me right & you wrong, just different. Best Wishes. PD

Well I have 2 cats inside. But if they jumped on my table or counters then they would become outdoor cats FAST!

I love animals, but would draw the line on having hair in my food! [big Grin]

Well, to answer the question, I think yes. Dog/cat hair does equal dirty. I have two hairless dogs but the big hairy mutt and the 6 cats more than make up for their lack of shedding. When there is hair all over (which happens more than it should because I can't vacuum often because of my hands and vacuuming isn't high on my husbands list of priorities) I do think of it as my house being dirty.

But it isn't the same kind of dirty as, say, dropping pudding on the floor and just leaving it there to get walked into the carpet or having dog poo or cat pee or barn muck on the floor.

There is "acceptable lived in comfortable" dirty and there is "unacceptable disgusting gross me out filthy and unsafe" dirty. Up to a certain point the pet hair is the first category, but eventually it can pass into the second. I try to manage it and keep it out of that second category.

And I'd much rather have a "pet hair dirty" house than have a perfectly clean house but no pets. They are totally worth it.

I will admit, I am not the best housekeeper. Mostly because it's just me and keeping my house spotless is low on my priority list compared to other things like....oh....going to the barn.

HOWEVER, mostly what that equates to is an overflowing coat rack with all of my barn stuff and all my barn boots at the door. As well as sawdust all over the entry rug. LOL

Anyway....I only have one dog. But he sheds constantly. I pretty much use my swiffer every other day (hardwood and tile). I DO think that having hair all over is kind of gross. A little at the end of the day doesn't freak me out, but I can't imagine going several days without sweeping.

Shoot....I swept Sunday a.m. I was waiting to actually wash the floors until right before I was leaving the house (so they could dry w/o foot traffic) 5 hours passed. Had to sweep again before I mopped because he just...sheds....all. the. time.

Yes. I think it's dirty but I don't judge as I'm in the same boat. I do live in a dog house. My boyfriend hadn't vacuumed for like a year before I moved in. He raked the carpet with a garden rake like once a month. [Eek!][shocked] Yeah. We have 5 full size dogs in the house and it drives me nuts. They shed a lot. I used to be a little more obsessive compulsive about cleaning but I've had to relax a little. There's no way I have time to keep our place clean. I enjoy the dogs, but they are dirty.

I'm building a kennel to keep them outside part time. But I also have to take meds cause the hair and dander makes my allergies go nuts. And my vacuum stinks. It gets clogged all the time.

quote:

Originally posted by Pamela:

My rugs are covered with a large comforter and I pull it up every other day to wash. When guests are over I pull the comforter up so the oriental rug underneath is clean...

My house looks like a blanket factory spewed all over it. Every couch, every chair... blankets blankets blankets. They get washed once a week. When company comes over I peel all the blankets off just before they get here and stuff them in my bedroom and my house looks nice and hair free, heheheheheh.