Sign in to follow this  
sylvesmiller

Does dog hair in the house equal a dirty house?

Pamela, Here's some things we do to help control the dog hair:

1. vaccumm at least 2 times a week. I think maybe I should increase that to every other day. It's difficult to do because baby screams while I vacuum, and it scares the dog. He just sheds more. It's quite traumatic to say the least [Roll Eyes]

2. we put down a clean blanket on the floor, and we're constantly moving baby back onto the blanket. To what point do I need to just relax?

3. I use a shedding blade on my shepherd. It helps, but I swear, you touch him with wet hands, and you get hair all over your hands.

4. Our dog doesn't hang out in our bathroom per say. While we don't really block it off, we still get hair in their. You see, the hair gets on everything, everything goes in the bathroom (aka: laundry room), and that hair gets all over the floor and rug. Yes, I vacuum/wash the rug as often as I vacuum the rest of the house. I still find dog hair no matter how much I clean.

5. We use a sheet on the couch. Puppy gets on the couch, and using the sheet REALLY helps to keep things clean on the couch. But, once again, some that dog hair that accums on the sheet ends up on the bathroom/laundry room floor.

6. Our farm home is an OLD farm home. It's dusty even though I dust all of the time. I believe that the dog hair has gotten down in the air ducts, along with other stuff.

7. We live in the country. Everything gets horribly dusty and dirty from the gravel roads, so having our air ducts cleaned, etc would be an annual expense that we can't afford.

When I was in the early post partum months/weeks, I got SOOOO stressed from the accumulating dog hair. I remember threatening to turn my indoor dog into an outdoor dog. But, I've relaxed a lot since then. I try to not let it bother me. I try to manage it the best I can.

BTW, those of you who vacuum every day, do you never wind up the power cord? Do you leave the vacuum plugged in all of the time?

quote:

Originally posted by mydakota:

This is what lives in my house.

-

I vacuum once or twice a day, but it is worth it. I mean, look at them!!
[big Grin]

My two favorite breeds!

How often do you guys bathe your dogs?

That's another thing with shedding/keeping house blah blah.

I give my dog a bath on Sundays normally. But I skipped a few weeks cuz it was just too cold out to have him damp.

I find that really helps as I do have mild allergies.

ETA: plus, if i can walk into a house and smell dog/cat it grosses me out.

[ 02-25-2008, 02:38 PM: Message edited by: BuddyRooShmancyNShy ]

No your (nor my house) is not dirty cause of dog hair. But don't ask my husband that. We have 5 inside dogs a sheltie 2 pitts a great dane and a coyote red heeler cross.

I am proud to say my dogs are ALLOWED on the FURniture. I do have to vacuum every day .

-

heres my real "hairy" problems. lol

-

Top it off with the horses we don't stand a chance.

-

-

quote:

Originally posted by equicrzy:

quote:

-

[big Grin]

My two favorite breeds!

They are my two favorite breeds too!! We always have a GSD and we always have from 1 to 3 Goldens! Never been disappointed!

As far as bathing them, I usually bathe mine once a month. Sometimes I have to bathe Doc (the blonder of the 2 Goldens) twice a month because he has a lot of oil in his coat, so he tends to get "funky" faster than Turbo or Tucker. I brush them out about once a week--more during the Spring Dog Hair Blowout. [big Grin]

quote:

Originally posted by Sylves:

Is my house dirty, in your opinion, because of all the dog hair?

Yes, but it isn't going to hurt anything. Mine's the same way, and dirty isn't necessarily bad. [big Grin]

I used to work with a girl whos big nasty dog shed EVRYWHERE. It was so gross there was FUR everywhere she never even tried to keep anywhere clean.

Her apartment the office the laundry room bathrooms. It was really gross, also the dog dragged in mud she never bothered to pick or sweep up either.

My mom has one cat a dog that doesn't shed and me in the house with tons of horse hair but it's some what well kept. It's not bad if you at least try and pick some of it up. 99.9% of the time I usually never even notice pet hair. [Confused] I only did all this dog hair because I had to clean up the laundry room office and bathrooms and got yelled at for all the dog hair even though it wasn't even my dog.

I love dogs, don't get me wrong, but when I walk into your house, I don't want to immediately know you have a dog. Meaning, if your house is dirty, smells like a dog, and there is dog hair everywhere, that's gross. Dogs are animals, yes, and they are prone to shedding, but there is such a thing as cleaning up after them. That goes for cats, too. I have a good friend with three enormous dogs, and by walking into her house, you would never know it.

Really, if you bathe and groom your dog, they won't smell as strongly and they won't shed as much or as often. And if you vacuum and clean your house, it shouldn't be a problem. I think if you commit to getting an animal, you are also committing to clean up after the animal and take care of it. In my eyes, a house that is dirty or torn up because of an animal is just laziness.

Originally posted by BarrelRaceingPaint:

I am proud to say my dogs are ALLOWED on the FURniture. I do have to vacuum every day .

-

heres my real "hairy" problems. lol

-

Top it off with the horses we don't stand a chance.

-

Barrelracinpaint- Do you get to sit on the couch???

quote:

Originally posted by hesacatch:

I have a good friend with three enormous dogs, and by walking into her house, you would never know it.

At my old house we had company come over once... guy HATED cats. It was a drop in, so when I saw them arrive I did my standard "snatch all the blankets off of the furniture and stuff them in the bedroom" routine. They came in, blah blah blah. I let the dogs in from outside and the guys says, "Oh... you have dogs!" kinda surprised. After about 20 minutes a cat wanders through. "OH! I didn't know you had a cat!" *A* cat? HAHAHAHA! At the time I had 4 cats of my own and SEVEN rescues in the house, they were just all in hiding because there was a stranger around. You should have SEEN the size of his eyes as one by one they started to come out of hiding.

[ROTFL]

But it was a HUGE compliment to me that he was that surprised. That showed me I was doing a reasonable good job making sure the house was presentable and smelled fresh and un-animal-smelly.

My house now smells funky, but not because of my animals. [Frown] I rented it to some family members for 5 years and they let their cats destroy the place. I've torn out carpet, painted over everything with this odor blocking primer, scrubbed and steam cleaned and vacuumed and deodorized and still when the weather gets warm and humid it reeks. It's just heartbreaking to me. This place was so nice when they moved in and now... meh.

quote:

I think if you commit to getting an animal, you are also committing to clean up after the animal and take care of it. In my eyes, a house that is dirty or torn up because of an animal is just laziness.

First of all, not all of us have the time to vacuum, mop, scrub and clean every single day. So it goes to once or twice a week. I have 5 medium to large dogs in the house. Just because they shed and there is hair on the carpet (they're not allowed on the couch as it's new) does not mean I don't take care of my animals. It's not like they're left in there for days at a time with poop and pee everywhere. I shed just as much as the dogs do [bang Head] and it's annoying yeah. But do I have time to clean the whole house every day? No. Does that mean I'm an irresponsible pet owner. No. It does bug me but I'm picky about being clean. But I love my pets so that's a trade off. I just do as much as I can to keep it clean. I'm thinkin they're pretty lucky to get to live in the house and not be outside in a kennel full time.

quote:

Originally posted by WarPony:

quote:

I have a good friend with three enormous dogs, and by walking into her house, you would never know it.

At my old house we had company come over once... guy HATED cats. It was a drop in, so when I saw them arrive I did my standard "snatch all the blankets off of the furniture and stuff them in the bedroom" routine. They came in, blah blah blah. I let the dogs in from outside and the guys says, "Oh... you have dogs!" kinda surprised. After about 20 minutes a cat wanders through. "OH! I didn't know you had a cat!" *A* cat? HAHAHAHA! At the time I had 4 cats of my own and SEVEN rescues in the house, they were just all in hiding because there was a stranger around. You should have SEEN the size of his eyes as one by one they started to come out of hiding.

[ROTFL]

But it was a HUGE compliment to me that he was that surprised. That showed me I was doing a reasonable good job making sure the house was presentable and smelled fresh and un-animal-smelly.

My house now smells funky, but not because of my animals.
[Frown]
I rented it to some family members for 5 years and they let their cats destroy the place. I've torn out carpet, painted over everything with this odor blocking primer, scrubbed and steam cleaned and vacuumed and deodorized and still when the weather gets warm and humid it reeks. It's just heartbreaking to me. This place was so nice when they moved in and now... meh.

Yeah I get that, haha. I have three cats so I understand that routine.

[Razz]

That's so funny, though! I really don't understand how so many people dislike cats. I've come to think that people who say they hate cats really just don't understand them.

quote:

Originally posted by therowdyone:

quote:

I think if you commit to getting an animal, you are also committing to clean up after the animal and take care of it. In my eyes, a house that is dirty or torn up because of an animal is just laziness.

First of all, not all of us have the time to vacuum, mop, scrub and clean every single day. So it goes to once or twice a week. I have 5 medium to large dogs in the house. Just because they shed and there is hair on the carpet (they're not allowed on the couch as it's new) does not mean I don't take care of my animals. It's not like they're left in there for days at a time with poop and pee everywhere. I shed just as much as the dogs do
[bang Head]
and it's annoying yeah. But do I have time to clean the whole house every day? No. Does that mean I'm an irresponsible pet owner. No. It does bug me but I'm picky about being clean. But I love my pets so that's a trade off. I just do as much as I can to keep it clean. I'm thinkin they're pretty lucky to get to live in the house and not be outside in a kennel full time.

I never said you had to clean your house from top to bottom every day. I have animals, so believe me, I understand that they have a tendency to poof hair everywhere they sit down. That being said, you have to realize that there are people who never groom their pets, and whose vacuum sits in a corner of the basement and collects dust. Trust me, I've been in a few people's houses that were like that because of animals. That's what I'm referring to when I think of lazy pet owners, and home owners, I suppose. It's not a huge hassle to pick up the vacuum once or twice a week, if that's all you have time for. And there are people who don't even do that.

Ok. Yeah I agree with that. There is a difference between lazy and trying. People that don't even attempt to clean more than once a month should get a maid. That is a dirty house.

quote:

That's so funny, though! I really don't understand how so many people dislike cats. I've come to think that people who say they hate cats really just don't understand them.

I used to hate cats. There were a few I liked ok, but I didn't want one in the house. Filthy creatures, climbing all over everything, stuck up, little killing machines. Oh I KNOW, people say they are clean but honestly how can you consider a creature that plays in a box of dirt, pee and poop and is covered in it's own saliva CLEAN?

HAHAHAHA!

Then I had this poor injured thing gets tossed in my front yard and my compassion overcame my disgust and next thing you know I'm doing cat rescue. Sheesh, I can't imagine not having the cats now.

It's a good thing I was converted to a cat lover when I was because I ended up married to a cat lover.

My big dogs became outside dogs once we bought the new house for this very reason. I got tired of all the hair. I spend the majority of my day outside, and they actually see me more now that we have moved.

I don't care so much about pet hair.....but if a house stinks it makes me ill.

quote:

I really don't understand how so many people dislike cats. I've come to think that people who say they hate cats really just don't understand them.

I really don't trust people who dislike cats. It's not logical, but there it is.

[ 02-26-2008, 02:53 PM: Message edited by: Kina Kat ]

quote:

Originally posted by Kina Kat:

quote:

I really don't understand how so many people dislike cats. I've come to think that people who say they hate cats really just don't understand them.

I really don't trust people who dislike cats. It's not logical, but there it is.

Haha... I agree. I think I'm going to start living by that.

quote:

-

[big Grin]

OMG we have the same color of tile and pattern in our kitchen. That is weird, I thought we were the one one!

quote:

Originally posted by Sylves:

Is my house dirty, in your opinion, because of all the dog hair?

IMO - NOPE!

I have *special* dog hair carpeting (and couch covering, and bed spreads, etc). and I simply dont have time to vaccum all the time, maybe 2 times a MONTH!

and if anyone doesnt like it, they can get the f*** out.... [big Grin]

hey, but, my barn is immaculate! and my dogs hair is VERY clean.. [big Grin]

ETA - I went through this with my extended family. and Im at the point that, I dont care what they think anymore.. My house, My rules, My dogs. I put up a sign that says "DOGS LIVE HERE AND THE HOUSE SMELLS LIKE A BARN, IF YOU DONT LIKE IT, LEAVE"

[ 02-26-2008, 04:20 PM: Message edited by: jumpin_horses ]

I don't like cats. LOL

Well, to be fair, I was raised with cats, always liked cats, and then developed a pretty serious allergy. So indoor cats=misery for me. I don't even stay at my mom's when I go home to visit due to the cats....and not because they're not lovely....they are. I just can't be around them.

But I don't like cats in the barn. It really bugs me. I hate it because it seems like every barn I've been to with cats, my saddle pads, saddles, etc all get peed on, scratched up, etc....and the tack room always reeks of cat pee and poo. And I hate dirty litter boxes. And leaving cat food out=raccoons, possums, and skunks. Bluk.

Not a fan.

well, even outdoor cats must be taken care of.

I have 5 cats living in my barn. they have a job, and they do it very well..

However, they dont cause ANY problems because,

1. they are ALL spayed and neutered from a young age (so no spraying)

2. they are all UTD on Flea Control, de-worming and shots

3. they are actually litter trained

4. they get fed 2 times a day in the tack room, when they are done, the door is shut and they cant get in.

there are GREAT advantages to having cats living in a barn, but, they still need proper care and control. you cant just let them be wild, thats when you have problems.

I love all my barn cats and my 1 house cat, but, hes old and pure white, not a good candidate for the outdoors.

quote:

Originally posted by BuddyRooShmancyNShy:

...leaving cat food out=raccoons, possums, and skunks. Bluk.

Not a fan.

Leaving cat food out = oppossums, raccoons, and others. Oppossums (sp?)= EPM. NOW that's BLUK!

My husband and I have talked about keeping any new horses that we buy at our place because Grandma's barn is full of cats. We believe this was how Chad's horse got EPM. It was from Grandma feeding her 20 cats in the barn, which attracted the EPM carriers.

Yuck!