Sign in to follow this  
CatNip81

bad lesson horses.

For those of you that give lessons and those that take some. If your were giving a lesson or taking a lesson and the horse you were using kept bucking what would you do? If said horse did the last two or three times you used him would you blame the rider,riding. I now a girl that was taking a lesson and the horse she was riding would start to buck. They were pretty good bucks, but the intructor said it was her fault because she was not using her legs correctly.

I told her that a bucking schooling horse is no schooling horse at all.

What do you guys think?

[ 02-27-2008, 05:48 PM: Message edited by: sweetvelocity ]

At my barn it is COMPLETELY unacceptable to use a horse that bucks, bolts, rears, spin, or who's a confirmed stopper O/F.

Lessons teach you how to become a better rider but a student should never be put in a place where they feel out of control or truly terrified.

You can learn how to ride agressively to the base without being on a horse who will throw you into a stander.

Most of the buckers I've known were either sour or sore, both of which are unacceptable in a lesson program. Lesson horses should receive equal if not better treatment then a boarding horse because they are often worked harder and longer.

I'd leave any barn who thinks it is okay to stick a rider up on a horse with a potentially dangerous vice.

What that instuctor said was BS. I worked at a schooling barn for years and no matter how bad or how much of a beginner the rider was, the horses di not buck, kick or run away. You have to have good solid horses for lesson horses. The more advanced riders got the school horses that were more advanced. No beginner was put on them.

What can one possibly learn about riding when all one can worry about is NOT making a horse buck? I think all that someone can learn is to ride defensively and think that they aren't good enough.

Well this lady is putting small children on this horse. She thinks it's funny when he bucks and the kids freak out. This is coming from her " the B/O" mouth to me.

quote:

Originally posted by sweetvelocity:

Well this lady is putting small children on this horse. She thinks it's funny when he bucks and the kids freak out. This is coming from her " the B/O" mouth to me.

Isn't it amazing how many bad instructor's are out there?

Isn't the whole idea behind a lesson horse, to teach people to ride? Aren't these horses supposed to be pretty much bomb proof?

I would say, if a lesson horse is behaving in that manner, it is not an acceptable lesson horse.

For a beginner no way!

If the rider is experienced enough and not terrified when a horse bucks then it's not a horrible thing. Not saying that it's ok to put a KNOWN bucker into a lesson program, but even the good ones buck once in a while.

The barn I rode at for 5 years has a few very dependable horses and ponies that will haul any beginner around for hours without a complaint. They also have horses like the ones I rode, who were hard, they required full concentration. The last horse I rode, and showed for 2 summers in jumpers, was a known bucker and would refuse a jump if you didn't ride him just so. He was actually a boarder and when the horse I had been riding was put down (colic) and he went up for sale, the BO/ my trainer bought him so I would have a horse to ride. This horse has amazing talent and will take you far, but you have to know how to ride him properly.

If the horse just consistently for no reason, then no, he shouldn't be in a lesson program. But if the horse just isn't being ridden correctly then it's up to the trainer to find a suitable rider.

I rode a lesson horse in a dressage lesson once who bucked. He was refusing to go forward and I used my crop and he bucked. Same horse bucked off the instructor at least once that I know of.

And that's the horse she uses for beginners.

I dunno. I think some horses are just fine at X level of work and then when you turn on the heat they're no longer safe as a "lesson horse".

But generally--I think it's silly. Being that you're in Mt. Pleasant, I'm real curious as to who the trainer is. LOL. PM me. [Wink]

OMG I'm a trainer/instructor & I give beginner lessons too. My lesson horse does not buck, rear, or spook...he's spooked maybe once w/me on him in last 2 yrs. He's never done it w/a student.

There's a riding school training barn about 30 min from me & I've been told by 2 ladies that came from tehr that they would have a group lesson & someoen was alwasy getting bucked off. [Eek!]

quote:

[shocked][Mad]

Sounds like a good way to get sued and ruin your business. If the horse bucks because of 'using the legs wrong', then the owner needs to find out what is wrong with the horse. Many times lesson horses become extremely sore because of all the pounding on the back, and yanking on the mouth from inexperienced riders.

I'm so tired of people blaming the horse. [Mad]

quote:

For those of you that give lessons and those that take some. If your were giving a lesson or taking a lesson and the horse you were using kept bucking what would you do? If said horse did the last two or three times you used him would you blame the rider,riding. I now a girl that was taking a lesson and the horse she was riding would start to buck. They were pretty good bucks, but the intructor said it was her fault because she was not using her legs correctly.

Unless the person had spurs on bucking would be ubacceptable. If the person had spurs on the instructer is unacceptable. Actually I wouldn't get a lesson from the instructer if you paid me. He/She is putting childrens health/lives at risk just because she think it is funny to hear the scream.That is a great way to make a kid never want to ride a horse ever again.

I go to lessons to learn. Therefore I do make mistakes.If a horse started bucking for any little mistake I made and the instructer told me it was my fault because it was my poor riding. I would hand her the reins and walk out without paying.

I have given lessons before on crap horses. Made my job SUCK. I worked at a "trail horse rental" stable, and YUP, those same horses were my "lesson" horses. It's a miracle no one died.

I tried to get my manager to let me work with the horses some, but she refused. She said they were fine. Only one I had bucked on a regular basis, but I had two that were occasional runaways, and all of them didn't work well with other horses. Never had any major accidents, thank goodness. But did have a bump or a scrape here or there. It got to be so awful that I kept trying to find excuses to not do the lessons. I liked the majority of the kids, but the horses were nightmares. There was only about 3 that should have been lesson horses in a group of about 12. But I was forced to use the others. I made do, and all the kids and parents (and the pitiful excuse for a manager) were happy, but I was miserable.

I am fixing to start giving lessons again. But this time I am using my OWN horses, and couldn't be any happier. My horses are GOOD horses. [Yay]

Heck i knew a lady that would put kids on green horses!! [Eek!] Yeah that's right green on lead line but still GREEN horses that knew nothing about being riden go figure. She only had one really trained horse and that is the one she used when they rode on their own but even this horse would protest every once in a while...

For beginners, the instructors should be using quiet pretty much bombproof horses.Beginners are there to learn to ride properly and they shouldnt have to be worrying constantly about the horses behaviour.

As the person get to be more experienced then i think that they need harder horses.But not horses that act bad all the time.

That was the training strategy of the barn I used to ride at. They took their 3 year olds and broke them to saddle, put a week of hard riding on them and then dumped them into the lesson program doing 4 lessons a day minimum. These horses with 7 days of riding were put through everything from short stirrup kick and yank riding to jumping and intro dressage for 4-6 hours a day for 6 months to a year before they were either sold as "kid safe"(most didn't deserve that title) or put into real training for the farms show teams(the farm focused on Dressage, Eventing and driving) Of course, to prepare students for the inevetable bucking, rearing and bolting one of the "instructors" liked to get all of the flightiest horses in one lesson and walk up behind them and crack a lounge whip across their hocks to "teach the kids how to maintain a good strong seat"

quote:

That is sick! I'm sure she won't think it's funny when one of the parents sue because the horse bucked the kid off and broke her neck!

quote:

Originally posted by equine_luver5008:

quote:

That is sick! I'm sure she won't think it's funny when one of the parents sue because the horse bucked the kid off and broke her neck!

I wonder if you should call the cops to the barn at an opportune time?