Sign in to follow this  
BSatch

Which is worse: Animal Abuse or Human Abuse?

This just popped up in my head. I know plenty of people who get much more riled up over animal abuse opposed to abuse against humans. Which is worse in your eyes?

IMO neither is acceptable, but I view abuse of humans to be the worser crime. i.e. If there is spousal abuse and animal abuse going on simultaneously, while I would try to stop both, my priority would be towards the human victim.

[ 03-05-2008, 02:14 PM: Message edited by: Tiger_Lily123 ]

I'm on the fence about it. Animals cannot speak in their defense, but at the same time.. human beings are sometimes too afraid or sheltered to do so. I guess I'd say abuse to another person would be worse. I know all the animal rights gurus will come and flame me for that, but honestly if it was going on at the same time.. my first instinct would be to stop the spousal abuse or what have you. Not that abusing an animal is okay by any means. Both are unacceptable in my eyes.

Abuse/Neglect of creatures who are dependent on you is to me, horrid--no matter the species.

I of course, place more value on human life. If I am in a position to rescue a human child vs a puppy, and can only save one, I will go for the human child.

But adults are a different story. I think that abuse/neglect of animals (dependent creatures) is worse than adult to adult abuse. WHY? Because adults have choices.

I put human child abuse and animal abuse on equal levels. Animals can't speak in their defense, nor escape a bad situation, and neither can children.

Adult abuse is bad and I understand that it can be difficult to get out of at times, but since adults do know better and do have the ability to just up and leave, press charges etc, it is slightly less horrible. And no, that's not blaming the victim, that's just the way it is. No one should be abused, but least of all the helpless.

quote:

Originally posted by horse crazy inTX:

Human child abuse!

Yup.

Hands down.

I've tried to help save abused animals plenty of times in the past, but if there were people being abused too the first step was finding someone capable to help THEM so I could focus on the critters.

To put a twist on it.

Situation A: Adult human being, male or female, is being held against their will, essentially imprisoned, and tortured. Cannot defend self as they are restrained.

Situation B: Animal, of whatever species, is caged, and being tortured.

Which of these two situations are worse? Now the adult human that is being abused has had their defense systems removed.

For me it is always people first.

Now if the human adult has been offered help over and over and refused it, repeatedly returning to the situation in question... I won't wait for them to be willing to accept the help before I help the animal. But people first.

I am not able to help people myself, really. It is beyond my capability. But I can find people who ARE able to help them. If a person is being abused I think it is my obligation to try and find help for them first.

edit to add: to be more direct, both are horrible but the abuse of a human is worse, IMO.

[ 03-05-2008, 02:38 PM: Message edited by: WarPony ]

The abuse of people is worse it doesn't matter what the age. Child abuse, adult abuse, and elder abuse are horrible and should never be tolerated. I'm all for saving the animals, but those pets will have to wait if Daddy gave Mommy a black eye and bruised ribs.

On a side note-does anyone know the name of the organization that helps abused women by taking care of their pets while they get away from the abusive relationship? [Question]

I can't remember where I read it, but this lady fosters the pets of abuse victims who need to get away quickly, but don't have the resources to get away with their pets. Some the people she's helped said that they would not have left unless she was there to help them. They didn't want to leave their pets in an abusive situation.

quote:

Originally posted by elfinbien:

On a side note-does anyone know the name of the organization that helps abused women by taking care of their pets while they get away from the abusive relationship?
[Question]

I can't remember where I read it, but this lady fosters the pets of abuse victims who need to get away quickly, but don't have the resources to get away with their pets. Some the people she's helped said that they would not have left unless she was there to help them. They didn't want to leave their pets in an abusive situation.

I have always wanted to do that and once my personal animal population has lowered I plan to offer that to a local womans shelter, but I've not heard of anyone else doing it. I'd be interested to hear if there is a group that does this as well. It might give me some ideas on how to handle it to do the most good and still protect myself (a serious concern when trying to help people escaping abusive situations).

I learned a long time ago that sometimes by helping the animals you DO help the people.

quote:

Originally posted by elfinbien:

The abuse of people is worse it doesn't matter what the age. Child abuse, adult abuse, and elder abuse are horrible and should never be tolerated. I'm all for saving the animals, but those pets will have to wait if Daddy gave Mommy a black eye and bruised ribs.

On a side note-does anyone know the name of the organization that helps abused women by taking care of their pets while they get away from the abusive relationship?
[Question]

I read this story too. Might have been in People magazine????

depends on what question you are asking... if you ask who i will save, human or animal? always human first. i value humans over animals.

if you ask what abuser is worst (pest and cholera) the one who abuses animals. (actually the one who abuses children or other humans in helpless situations like elderly dement, mentaly retarded and so on)

I guess I would most often say that human abuse is worse. I value human life above animal life. But that having been said, I also think, from specific situation to specific situation, that it also has less to do with what species is being abused and more to do with how much power the abused (human or animal) has in the situation. Neither a human child nor an animal has any power or control over those that would abuse them. An adult human, on some level, does. Maybe that power has been compromised by years in said situation, but they still have choices that the child or animal do not. From that point of view, I guess I would say that the abuse of any being that has NO POWER in the matter would be worse.

Animal abuse.

Animals can't speak up for themselves. The same can be said about young children... but they can still speak, unless they are infants. I put animals first because they have no way of defense or speaking up.

People who hit animals make me ill.

Well if you subscribe to the "some people just need killing" that'd be an easy one.

But, the studies they've done show the majority of serial killers start out abusing animals so I think it's def a precursor to abusing, raping and/or killing people so my opnion is it goes hand in hand.

Animal abuse.

When I hear on the news of a kid being found beaten or dead, it doesn't bother me. But when I hear of animal abuse I'm almost in tears.

One does as one learns. One that is raised in an abusive environment, generally becomes abusive themselves.

So I say human abuse is worse. Animal abuse would not happen, if it wasn't for the abusive human doing it. Anyone who will abuse a small child will kick a dog.

[ 03-05-2008, 10:52 PM: Message edited by: Mudder ]

Abuse is always awful. My friend once said...

"If there is a just God in Heaven, He will allow every good parent to whack abusers with a 2X4 throughout all eternity!"

I rather like that idea!