Followers 0
jbeam

Polygamy

51 posts in this topic

http://youtube.com/watch?v=dNZIql8SZjU

http://youtube.com/watch?v=PY-oQdBqGE0

http://youtube.com/watch?v=R4w1UyheBkw

http://youtube.com/watch?v=n3OyTjYvYTA

If you have time, watch all four parts... it's very good.

I like how the woman says, there are so many alternate lifestyles, why can't our lifestyle be decriminalized?

These polygamists are there by choice, their children do not have to become polygamists, the women can leave.

Once you get over the "shock and awe", it gives you a lot to think about and shows a side of polygamy is so different than what you may have expected.

Note: I'm not talking about the Warren Jeffs polygamy compounds.

What do you have to say after watching the "Oprah show"?

i didn't have time to watch all the videos to completion, but the point of "alternative lifestyle" has become a hard one to argue with these days.

the whole polygamy thing strikes me as a fairly well organized, and sometimes spectularly well financed breeding program, a lot of parrells to horse breeding farms IMO. so personally no thanks, but there are women out there who honest-to-goodness just want to have children (in most of these cases, LOTS of children), and do nothing but take care of them while husband hopefully brings home enough bacon. as long as no one is being hurt, no underage or coerced marriages, people are free to leave when they want, and they are not depending on taxpayer's for their daily bread, why not?

i would also be curious to know how one man earns enough/month to feed a household of 22 children and four adults. (first video)

Whatever consenting adults want to do is just peachy with me as long as it does not harm the innocent.

I guess harm could be defined in many ways. Some would say having children witness to such a lifestyle is harm.

And the wives admit there is jealousy.

How about the other way around? Would I have two husbands?????

[Wink]

[Cool]

Personally, I have no problem with it at all if the parties involved have a CHOICE, are at least 18, and aren't living off welfare and other government programs.

Polyandry. Gosh, thanks!! I learned my new word for the day.

Hee, hee... I'll be thinking this one through all day.... [Eek!]

[Cool]

My SO, his mother and I watched this show and were talking about it. I asked how come women didn't have three husbands. She said, because one is enough work as it is. Imagine having another one or two. [Eek!]

barn boss, was there any discussion of how one man manages to finance such a large household? the morality of this is none of my business, but the financing of this sure is if it is not done entirely out of the private pocket.

and one husband is enough for me thanks. once again--polygamy seems to be predicated on breeding. one stud, lots of mares. (but is it a stud that has done anything worthwhile in his life? is his conformation worth noting? good teeth, pasterns not too long, and not cow-hocked? lol. apparently so in human terms, if he can finance all of this.)

I can't remember the finance thing coming up on Oprah. It's been about a week and a half since I watched it. I wouldn't be suprised if the church didn't kick in to support their members. Hmmm... but where does that money come from? [Question]

I really can't answer that question, nick. I was so caught up in the "shock and awe" that I forgot to use the logical part of my brain and wonder about finances.

quote:

Originally posted by nick:

barn boss, was there any discussion of how one man manages to finance such a large household? the morality of this is none of my business, but the financing of this sure is if it is not done entirely out of the private pocket.

and one husband is enough for me thanks. once again--polygamy seems to be predicated on breeding. one stud, lots of mares. (but is it a stud that has done anything worthwhile in his life? is his conformation worth noting? good teeth, pasterns not too long, and not cow-hocked? lol. apparently so in human terms, if he can finance all of this.)

In the second episode Richard is described as a 'successful businessman'. Two of the three wives work and often fly together on business trips. Appearantly {sp} they are both somewhat successful themselves, in the business world. The third wife seems to be the stay at home type mother, and when you consider the horde of carpet crawlers, curtain climbers and yard apes must also be MITEY good at what she does.

It also mentions that instead of depending on the government the community will get together to get roads, playgrounds and such built - everyone helps in one way or another.

While personally I wouldn't want plural wives (had one, that was more than enuff)I can see advantages and disadvantages to this type of situation.

Is it legal? NO, not in the united states anyway. In fact Utah was refused admittance into the union even though they met all requirements of statehood because their state constitution said polygamy was legal.

Is it moral? Who's to say? As I understand it Allah promises 7 wives (virgins at that). In the christian/judeo faith you read of many concubines, including those of some biblical "heroes". In the hindu religion you might come back as an animal, maybe a broodmare or stud bull.

Do I approve? After what I've just said it would be hard to condemn someone over this issue.

Therefore all I can say is "see Richard, see Richard go, go Richard go".

I have 1 wife & 2 daughter's, & 3 grandaughter's, they cause me to watch my pennies, so don't know how I would support another wife or two. PD

HorseTeacher just what exactly DO you mean [big Grin] Its ok I know what you mean, you mean you want the income of 2 men, and the physical help of 2 men. Who in their right minds would want to have 2 men to sleep with? Thats just way too much work lol.

I watched a document on polygamy recently, and while it kind of gave me the heebiejeebies, it really seemed to work well for that family. The women were happy, the children were happy and well cared for. That is a lot more then I can say for many coupled families I know. The man had something like 13 or 15 wives living in the same house, well mansion. He declined to say what he did for a living, but it was obviously something that made him a grip of money. The wives said that they never got jealous, they take comfort in knowing who their husband is sleeping with.

Wondered if anyone would call me on that one.

audrey-may, thanks for trying to keep me pc.

HOWEVER,

-

.. must not be in my right mind!

Honestly, truthfully - I can imagine having two husbands. Heck, I have two kids and I love them both. My moral code does not preclude two husbands. Do ex-husbands count? [big Grin]

Would I want my husband to have two wives? Absolutely no way at all! I would not ever want to share him with another woman. But, it's always different when the shoe is on the other foot, huh? I can do it, but you can't? [Roll Eyes]

I can think of some real lively related topics, but would have to be an adult only board....

[Cool]

I couldn't imagine. The incomes would be nice... and maybe the physical help. (FOR CHORES!) I couldn't deal with the two husband thing though, creeps me right out. Maybe for some people. I don't know if I know many men who could honestly put up with more than one wife. Think about it... pms anyone? [Crazy]

HorseTeacher [Razz] there are just too many naughty topics surrounding this one haha.

I used to work with a woman who had a husband, and a live in boyfriend. I think it might have been more of a cuckold situation (if anyone needs further explanation on that one let me know), she was a strange enough women before I knew that about her lol. I am glad it worked for her, but honestly her husband seemed rather broken spirited and miserable.

[ 06-27-2008, 05:11 PM: Message edited by: audrey-mae ]

I actually have no problem wiuth the concept of poligamy so long as women (or men I guess too if that happens) are not treated as objects and possesions.

Poligamy being unacceptable is simply because it is socially unacceptable for us here and now...Back in the biblcal times, it was common and even the wisest man on earth supposedly Soloman had many wives and concubines...

What is socially acceptable changes as times go by....Used to be being openly gay was a huge NO NO....and now look...Its becomming almost "popular" somehow to be gay or bi...

[ 06-27-2008, 05:19 PM: Message edited by: Trinity ]

I have no problem with it as long as neither (him or her) is harmed or innocent (children forced into it). What they do in their time is no matter to me, except for when they are harming children or drawing on taxes. Now that is when I have issue with that particular group, but for polygamy as whole I have no issues.

It is their life so let them be.

My husband's (Mormon) pioneer ancestors had a polygamus line on his mother's side. Reading their journals, there was nothing but conflict and hardship in this family. No one was happy.

quote:

Originally posted by Trinity:

...Back in the biblcal times, it was common and even the wisest man on earth supposedly Soloman had many wives and concubines......

Old King Solomon, he a hundred wives,

He bought a great big carriage and he'd take them out for drives.

One day the carriage broke down, and here's where the trouble starts,

His wives were waiting in the road, but the king had no spare parts!

I think a bigamist is a man who wants to have his Kate and Edith too.

I've often thought I would like to have two husbands. I think I could handle that just fine- if they could. (And not just for the extra work and income...)

I guess I could handle having co-wives. If I was the alpha wife.

Don't jump on me, I couldn't help it, I'm making fun of myself and some recent arguments.

It would have been funny if we were in person. [Crazy][big Grin]

[ 06-28-2008, 03:40 PM: Message edited by: Bluesma ]

I would like to have two husbands. I've even told my husband that.

But the catch is one needs to be gay. [big Grin]

I need my gay husband to shop and talk with and my straight husband for killing bugs and.....

well....

you know. [Wink]

For some reason, I just don't see it happening though.

[Frown][ROTFL]

quote:

Originally posted by Jack Baumgartner:

quote:

Originally posted by Trinity:

...Back in the biblcal times, it was common and even the wisest man on earth supposedly Soloman had many wives and concubines......

Old King Solomon, he a hundred wives,

He bought a great big carriage and he'd take them out for drives.

One day the carriage broke down, and here's where the trouble starts,

His wives were waiting in the road, but the king had no spare parts!

I think a bigamist is a man who wants to have his Kate and Edith too.

Snort!!

Jack, where do you come up with all these little ditties you know? [big Grin]

quote:

Originally posted by Alipes:

The incomes would be nice... and maybe the physical help. (FOR CHORES!)

With my luck I'd end up with two husbands who both procrastinate as much as the one I already have and I would end up doing the work of three people instead of the work of two. Not worth it. lol.

I always used to say, "It's my fantasy to have two men at the same time, one to do the cooking and one to do the cleaning." But I know in the end I'd just have to cook and clean for all of us. lol.

Theoretically I actually have no problem with poly relationships, in actual practice though? I don't think so. I have a hard enough time getting any alone time as it is, I can't imagine adding another husband or wife to the mix. No way.