Sign in to follow this  
Felda5032

Tell Me About the Red Line

This is something my farrier wants me to be careful about when I start trimming my horses. Of course, he wants me to just do a little rasping here and there every two or three weeks, so I probably won't have too many issues with it, but I still want to know more. My farrier does my horses every 5-8 weeks depending on how he feels. Occasionally he's come to the red line when trimming my horses before. I've come to understand this is blood in the sole. What I'm confused about is whether this is live sole at this point or if it is bruising. He doesn't like to trim this out, so he usually tries to even the foot out out with the rasp, beval the toe and then stop.

So, what is it? He wasn't really able to give me the best answer on that, but he doesn't want me to dig into if I come across without him there.

BTW, thanks for the info on the tools. I've got a Bellota rasp, The Knife and some Anvil Brand nippers coming my way in a couple of weeks.

I think maybe you are talking about the white line? Which is not white at all really, but the water line is white. LOL! Now you're just as confused as I am! Posting pics would help a lot. [big Grin]

No, I'm talking about a red line. It is near the white line, but the two are never the same. This apprears in the sole while the white line is a little closer to the wall. None of my horses currently have this, so I can't show any photos unless I can find some on the net to give an accurate representation for what I'm talking about.

I know what you're talking about. I was told that is live sole and usually means you've come too close to trimming too much. That's what I was told, I could be wrong on the reason tho. [Confused]

On short hand notice, this appears to be the closest example of what I'm talking about on the net. It shows the red line that I'm talking about, but the white line in this picture appears to be stressed. This is NOT my horse's hoof.

-

I have heard some farriers refer to the "blood line" before when shoeing and trimming. I have only ever seen a horse be made to bleed when the sole is carved up like a tom turkey tho. I dont carve sole so I never worry about it.

Now that I know better, if you are comming ANY where near the blood line (which is IN the live sole and actually IS the blood supply of the hoof) You should not be picking up a rasp.

JMO...

ETA..yes what you see above looks like the "blood line" Too much carving of the sole...There is no callous between the growing blood filled inner hoof structure and the ground...BAD in my book...very bad...

Also, bruising can appear red like that and will stay discolored as it grows out...Just fyi..Im sure everyone here knows that tho...

[ 11-08-2007, 10:24 PM: Message edited by: Trinity ]

quote:

Originally posted by Trinity:

Now that I know better, if you are comming ANY where near the blood line (which is IN the live sole and actually IS the blood supply of the hoof) You should not be picking up a rasp.

That's a little unnerving. My current farrier has done this a few times and the old farrier I used did it too. I thought it was just something you see in the hoof from time to time from trauma. [Confused]

Bruising is trama and will appear red too.

Cutting down the sole too thin can cause bruising, as well as uncovering the "blood line" also. You have to make a differentiation between the blood of the foot and a bruise (which shows easier IME)...

I dont get bruising (very rare) and never blood in the sole of my horses tho since I never trim them...only exfoliate.

Im quote/unquoting "blood line" because I dont know if thats an actual term lol..Just what I have heard farriers around here use for exposing the blood supply of the hoof. It happens WAY more than I am comfortable with with regular farriers around here...

I am SOO much happier doing my own..it is hard work but how rewarding to know exactly what is happening to the foot! I have found trimming my own ponies to be very fulfilling in a way. Is that odd? lol... I just keep learning more and more with every trim and each trim improves the foot.

A nice change from dealig with hack job after hack job and no problem solving skills...only bandaids...

[ 11-08-2007, 11:00 PM: Message edited by: Trinity ]

The safest thing is to not take any sole out that is not flakey and can be scratched out with a hoof pick. Take only the wall that extends below the sole and rasp off nearly everything in front of the outside edge of the white line when you round them up. If you stick with that, you won't ever hurt a horse and they will have harder, sounder feet.

If their frogs are very deep (like an inch) or more, you probably need an experienced trimmer to get the excess sole out - referred to as a 'false sole'. I leave that part alone because I am afraid I will get too much sole and would rather trim out too little.

Hi

In the hoof you have pictured, I assume the

red line' is the bleeding in the separated lamini that is present. If there is widing of the white line with a recent episode of laminitis, you will see red in the stretched white line

Ok, went back and looked at the picture and your discription of where this red line is. If it is a cresent shape, between the apex of the frog and the white line, it is a bruising in the sole caused by a rotated coffin bone that is pressing on the sole.

I've heard that the red line is like quicking your own nails.... when you cut them too short. Am I anywhere NEAR right? [Confused]

Storm once got trimmed (not by my normal farrier) and all 4 feet had a red line- somewhere between 1/4 and 1/2 inch wide!!!!! [Eek!] He was sore for what seemed like forever. Needless to say, but I will never use that farrier again. I leave his soles alone and just have the edges trimmed up.