Sign in to follow this  
BuddyRooShmancyNShy

No pics, but I survived my first "farrier-like" experience!

Well, Jumpin is going to have back surgery on Wednesday and had a few clients that needed to get done. So up to Elsie I went yesterday a.m.

All in all, it went pretty well--though I must say that nippers are the devil. If I were ever to do other people's horses, I'd need to invest in some compound nippers as I really have a hard time with the loss of strength in my hands (CT and broken arm)

The pony was a little devil and the mini was satan himself--but in a cute, 300lb, I-can-pin-your-naughty mini self-to-the barn wall kind of way. LOL

So...ended up doing all 4 yesterday--good thing as we already have 7 inches of snow today. And that means I have now done 4 horses that weren't mine. LOL.

Still, I have to hand it to you "real" farriers--that is HARD work. And when they're naughty, it's REALLY hard. I am excited to do mine tomorrow--they will be a piece of cake! [big Grin]

BuddyRoo, a little word of advice. Keep your nippers really sharp, that will cut down on hand fatigue. Sitting down to sharpen your knife and nippers also gives you a chance to rest. Hiding the fact that your wore out and need a break. [big Grin]

When I started trimming and pulling shoes, my time was at the 1 1/2 hour mark.

I now have "trimmed" the time down to a barefoot trim to 30-45 min on a horse that I trim and that stands good.I have not tried to save time and as I have learned more I look for more than I did when I started but things seem to go good for me.

It takes me longer to shape one shoe than to trim a horse(?)........ [Embarrassed]

I'm way to picky [bang Head]

she did an awesome job! [Yay] the clients called me later and said they are VERY happy with her work. THANK YOU SO MUCH B-ROO!

the client with the bratty pony feels SO bad that he was naughty. he really was SUCH a brat [Mad] when normally he is the best one!

actually they were all brats compared to the norm. even the old guy wasnt on his game. but, B-Roo hung in there and did a great job.

we knew in advance that the mini was a a******, so that was no surprise, like the others. I loved it when B-Roo pinned the mini against the wall, ha ha ha.. It was all I could do not burst out laughing. I do the same thing. it doesnt hurt him at all, but, it makes him pissy. he was weaned WAY too young and adding the owner spoiling him to mix and you have a very naughty little guy.. but, he has the cutest little fuzzy ears... [big Grin]

I talked to both kids last night and both admitted that they havent done ANYTHING with their horses for over 2 months. [Eek!] I asked have you even cleaned out their feet?.... "nope, sorry"......

did you notice that after that pony had been tied, allowed to throw his hissy fits for about an hour, he then quieted down.. he needs more time on the patience post. he was quiet by the time we untied him and left.

I told them that if they even attempt to act like that with me, they wont get trimmed. period. I told them they were lucky you stuck it out. so, they better get to working on them.

when I first started trimming it took about an hour per horse, now its down to 20 or 30 minutes. it is exhausting work, but, after a while you build up a lot of strength and it gets easier.

I trimmed Bunny's feet last night and she was a doll.... (I thank God for such a great horse everyday) ummmmm.. a trimmers horse is consistantly good, and these kids horses were naughty, actually total brats.. ummm...

PS. Oh, did you hear? later that evening Steve (Paul's dad) had a heart attack. he had triple by-pass surgery this morning. he is doing great, but, gave us quite a scare. Im mad at him for trying to steal my thunder.. [Razz]

OH MY GOODNESS!!!! He had a heart attack!!!!????!!!!

Well, if you need me to come up and do whatever Paul was going to do to help you out so he can be there for his dad, please CALL ME. My goodness. Steve is such a great guy. I can't believe it. He seemed fine on Saturday!

I'm so glad they were okay with the work....whew!

I think we are okay. he had surgery this morning and is doing great. Paul is on-board for chores/feeding, so he has to do his horses, and mine. he can take it... poor kid though, his Dad is everything to him, he was pretty upset last night, but, doing good now.

you helped out already A LOT by making sure everyone is trimmed..

thank you SO much again.

I wish I could ride in the snow [Me Cry] its SO beautiful!

one good thing about mini trimming is that on the hind hooves one can sit on the rump and hold hoof between calf muscles....... [ROTFL] .....perfect seat [Razz]

I trimmed a mini today and I thought of jump'n and buddy roo. [smiley Wavey]