Sign in to follow this  
xcanchaserchicx

hot shoeing?

It's where the farrier applies the shoes when they are hot. Literally.

Some make their own from bar stock or some use premade shoes and heat them with a forge or torch.

Some people like this because it helps to seat the shoe into the hoof. I've never personally noticed much of a difference. At least not enough of one o pay the extra price it calls in my area.

It does NOT hurt the horse in any way. It's really a preference thing.

Hotshoeing is something that is done alot in a therapeutic type of shoeing.

Hot shoeing is sometimes IN MY AREA a term meaning the making of a shoe from some kind of stock or shoe where the shoe is "HEATED to weld or FORM" [Crazy]

[ROTFL][ROTFL][ROTFL]

Oh MAN, you guys! I can't WAIT 'till CJF reads this! I'm going to have to have him do a little explaining later on tonight! I read a little to him over the phone this afternoon, and he has a little more input.

There is just a LITTLE bit more to "Hot Shoeing" than just preference.

But I will let him explain... he's a little better at educating about this than I am... I could not do justice to what he explained over the phone!

This is one of his passions....

But think about this, 'till he gets on here later tonight...

Example: You have a frayed rope. What do you do with it? Why?

Now relate that to a shelly, flaking or chipping hoof.

Is your farrier/trimmer a Perfect Filer? Can He or She get that hoof filed Perfectly Each and Every Time? (That's aimed at those that have shoes on their horses.) If you take a cold forged shoe, and line it up to the hoof, is it going to touch the hoof wall EVERYWHERE? 100% Contact?Or will there be a small gap here & there? And wouldn't it be logical to say that if there were gaps, the hoof would have to settle into the shoe? Or the shoe would flex? Therefore loosening the nails, maybe?

Please, Nobody take offense to my post... I just find the responses so far are rather funny.

I have only had this done on one of our horses once before because her feet had gotten chipped up really bad and they were also very uneven and my farrier said that it would straighten her feet up and the shoe will set better and it did its job! but i dont think a horse needs it everytime. Dont think i dont take care in my mares feet. I DO!!

Okay, hotshoeing ROCKS.

Firstly, you have a better fit to the shoe because the hoof is actually burned down to the shoe. (less gapping)

In many cases, well done hot shoeing will hold up better than cold shoeing.

Also, "seals" the hoof.

I prefer hotshoeing if/when my horses are shod.

I loooove hot shoeing!! 1) When its -1? and the farrier comes out and starts up that forge, ooh la la you can actually feel your fingers for a while! lol

2) as others have said....seals for a better fit

3) in my experience, it also means the farrier is actually going to SHAPE the shoe to fit the hoof, and they can get A LOT more precise and better fit because it's waaay easier to shape hot metal [smile]

4) I just love watching the farrier use the forge...

In college, for my degree, we were required to take a hoof trimming and shoeing course. The course also required at least 8 hours of forge work. I LOOOOVED the forge work and had I had one more semester, would have taken the blacksmithing class. I learned soo much, and have a very good appreciation for farriers who work with a forge year long (can you say SWEAT? holy cow...I took that class in the winter and it was in an "unheated" building, but many of us wanted to work in sports bras...but the who burn thing came into play...lol)

ok i agree with all the other that say: HOT SEATING ROCKS!!!!! Hot "SEATING" is NOT the same as HOT SHOEING

Hot "SHOEING" is when a farrier "shapes" the shoes while they are hot

Hot "SEATING" is when the farrier fits the shoe to the hoof the shoe When it is at "black heat" NOT RED HOT!, and fits the shoe to the hoof only for a couple seconds or until the wall of hoof is a light brown/honey color NOT CHARRED!

it( hot seating) allows your farrier to see if he left any high spots and to get a perfectly flat hoof to shoe surface, so that there are no pressure points or bumps.

it also seals off the hoof from bacteria.

I LOVE HOT SEATING SHOES!!!! and alos handmade shoes [smile]

[ 01-03-2008, 08:30 PM: Message edited by: Adrenalin_Girl ]

Ditto to the above. Everyfoot on everyhorse is different, therefore in my opinion all shoes should be shaped to the foot with handmade shoes being tops. Here I go to the local farrier college and get handmade hot set shoes for $30.00 a horse. The college is internationally renowned for its farrier program and all the work is supervised.