Sign in to follow this  
BuddyRooShmancyNShy

Okay, I've changed my mind...nipper suggestions?

I originally was only going to use a rasp and hoof knife on my girls....but due to an injury, I went a little long on trimming one of mine so I borrowed Jumpin's nippers. Holy heck. I just did Chey tonight. I am not NOT using nippers again.

Sure makes for a lot less labor.

So, with that in mind, nipper suggestions?

I've had CT surgery on my right and I broke that arm into pieces this last summer...so I am kind of looking for compounds...but frankly, the ones I used today worked fine--nice and sharp, made light work of it.

What are your faves? I don't care what they cost. I will save up and get a pair. I'd REALLY love it if they had some with replaceable blades so I don't have to sharpen. I am not so good at sharpening. (learned how to sharpen my loop knife though..not TOO bad)

Thanks in advance!

Well the only ones with replaceable blades are the compound nippers that Jumpin posted not too long ago.

Everything else you have to sharpen. [Wink]

I have a set of the less expensive Diamonds... They are ok but bulky and heavy...If I could choose, I would have gotten the lighter, professional ones but they were and xmas gift so I had no say in the matter lol..

CJF SWEARS by GE 15 inch Nippers. They last for EVER, and when you need them sharpened, you send them back in, & they rebuild them.

Heck, *I* can even use them, and not hurt my previously smashed wrist. (& remember...CJF has a permanently dislocated right wrist...& he can still use these.)

GE is the only way to go- and just doing your own horses, they will probably stay sharp longer than you will!!It would really help if you had someone who could show you how to sharpen them, but when they finally get to the point of no return you just mail them to GE. They will reman them- same process as original- at WAY less cost than buying another pair.

Sorry, can't help you there, but I'm listening with more interest these days. I just did a lot of rasping and have strained the tendons in my arm. Two weeks later, it still hasn't improved. Getting more interested all the time, actually.

I'm thinking that the compound nippers may take you farther into the future as well.

As for sharpening, you get the technique down pat, and then its just like rasping a horses foot, only less scarey! I'm thinking if you kept them sharp, you'd keep that edge that they need and would be sharpening more correctly over time.

I'm lucky. I've got a husband who has a fetish for this kind of chore...along with shovelling snow! I think the best present in the world I could give him, would be one of those old fashioned grinding stones. [big Grin]

Missy--seriously....I cannot even tell you how much easier it was to get the feet exactly how I wanted them without even breaking a sweat.

The mare that I did yesterday has some interesting feet....due to the issues that she has, I really wanted to get the hoof wall off the ground and get the pressure off the toe with a real quick breakover and good bevel. Totally CAN be done with a rasp...but doing it with the nippers just went so much faster....

Really pleased with how they came out.

I'm surprised anyone does it without nippers. I could just rasp, yeah. But, my wrists will not hold up to that for very long. Too many strains from roping, etc. Nippers are great as long you can use them correctly. My body's falling apart, I don't need anything else getting bad. [big Grin] I do need to buy a new pair though, probably GE.

I just have a regular pair of Anvil Brand nippers that I bought through Jeffers. For my two horses, this handles the job just fine.

anyone not useing nippers must not trim for the public [Crazy]

buddy...stay with an 15 inch as leverage will play a key roll in forearm pump.

I started out with the el..cheapo brands.....they work fine when only nipping 1/2 inch or less overgrown hoof wall. when thing get thick and really long the thick jaws will not allow for smooth easy nipping.

Ge,anvil,diamond,mustad,nordic forge all have better ends of nippers....go ahead and pay $80-$179 and get nice nippers.

I can say that when you nip only use half the blade to cut... [Crazy] ...it will be easier and faster to get around hoof.

As far as sharp.....don't cut mud or grim....same as with knife....

I sent my GE's in to be sharpened, and the turnaround was right at a week. It was well worth the $$ spent, and time without them. (I used a backup Diamond pair) My GE's now look brand new- they pretty much rebuild them. New pin, they heat and spread the jaws, and they are sharp, sharp, sharp...

Buddy you might check out GE's 14 In Race nippers too. They stay sharp forever. I have been using the same pair since 2000 and haven't sent them in yet. I used them alot up until 2005 now I cut my client's back some so I have sent them in to be done. So they should last another 5 years easy. I have a set of the GE 15 as well and I prefer my race nippers. Its just what u get use too.