Sign in to follow this  
shiloh04

preference on rasps & knives

so, my rasp has officially been declared dead. i have had a couple brands, and all but the last were fine (DONT buy a diamond, i did it in a pinch, but dont do it).

what are your preferences?

also, my knife is a year and a half old, and while i really only trim one-ish horses, i cannot for the life of me get it sharp. it is an F. Dicks. it was supposed to be a good knife, so maybe i just suck at sharpening? my horses' hooves are like rocks right now, so I know that does not help.

input?

I really like my Hall Loop Knife....Reasonably priced, handle is comfy, etc. But, I do sharpen it about every other time I trim....

As far as rasps, I bought Save Edge and really like them....But I'm not doing a lot of horses.....

The best I have found is to do what ever it takes to keep them sharp.

I only buy a rasp in a wrapper...some tack stores take them out? and they get shuffled around with alot abuse to them.

I have used all the 5.99 to 9.99 knives one can find but they have long blades and funky angles...and need a lick or two after every hoof.

I had a huge lump in my throat when I gave $25 for THE KNIFE brand knife and wish I would have bought one the first time. nice curve to blade and it stays sharper than any others I have used....I want to try others though as if THE KNIFE was good others may be better [Confused]

Preparing the hoof for trimming will help keeping rasp,knife,nippers with a sharp edge.

really brush the hoof out!!!keep tools out of any moisture...don't lay on ground...leave out in rain...splash with water an so on...also store them good and don't let stuff rub against rasp,kinfe or nippers.

save edge is a good rasp.I have one and I also have a diamond that is good also.Leave the painted looking grey rasp's where they lay,don't buy..ahaahaha

I like the SaveEdge rasps, too, and also the Simonds BlackMaster. Keeping them clean and oiled and wrapped will help them last longer, if you don't already do those things. I have two different types of knives that I really like: one has a rosewood handle, not sure of the brand although someone else might be. It holds and edge, although I tend to sharpen it after two or three horses. The other knife is a KC LaPierre knife, and I only use it on frogs. It has a razor edge on it, and a bit more curve to it than the other one.

I ended up with a Save Edge. The last one I had was a Diamond and it was horrible. It came in a wrapper from the store, but it was already a bit dull when I bought it. The guy at the farrier store is also going to sharpen my knife for me with his grinder, and I will just work more on trying to maintain the blade. If that doesn't work I can always try something else later.

I've had a Save Edge that's still going strong after 2 years on three horses. (do you think I might be due for a new one and just don't realize it?...like my arms getting stronger from the increasing dullness in the blade and I'm being fooled?) How long are they supposed to last anyway?

I was lucky enough to buy the last one and acquired the box, which I've kept it in. It's either there, or on the stand magnet. [big Grin]

I don't know what I've got for a knife, but I've had it for 10 years and its still going strong. Kudos to my husband who loves to sharpen things and I just bring it to him.

Can anyone show me what a hall loop knife look like?

I like BuddyRoo's Hall loop knife too.

I bought the nicest knife I could find on the internet. Its the same loop knife that Pete Ramey uses. It cost $157..... when B-Roo and I were trimming horses, I found myself continually asking her if I could use her Hall Loop knife... [Razz] I was VERY sharp and easy to use, however, I probably wouldnt last too long if you did a lot of horses. But, I really liked it... so, now I have my $30 HL knife, and my $157 PR knife... whats a girl to do? [Confused]

I like the simonds blackmaster rasps too. I have a client whos horse has feet as hard as solid steel. its the only rasp that can stand up to him.

I don't think ANY knife is going to stay uber sharp for long if you're doing a lot of horses. I'm finding that sharpening mine after about 10 trims is working well. But I like it to be SHARP.

Sort of like the rasp deal. I don't want to work that hard. I'd rather work with a newer sharper rasp. I see you guys posting about using one for YEARS and I just can't imagine it. LOL

well, I know of some farriers who trim 80+ horses per week. the Hall knife would definately crash and burn before this Ramey knife would. This Ramey knife is VERY nice, its hand made and very heavy duty.. but, I just cant get it as sharp as the Hall knife is.. perhaps its not the knife, but, the person doing the sharpening... [Confused]

heres a pic of PR knife

http://www.solidrockknives.com/Hoof%20Knives.htm

here is info

http://www.solidrockknives.com/start.htm