Sign in to follow this  
equicrzy

Do YOU call the Farrier when it's time........

......Or, should HE keep a record of who's who, and give YOU a call when it's time for a trim?

My horse's were done 4 weeks ago, and before the Farrier left, he said he wanted to come back in 4 weeks, if not to trim, to just check on them, since it was the first trim, in a series, for the barefoot trim.

We said, "sure", that would be fine, he then asked for our phone number, but noticed it was on the check we had just given him, he said see ya in a month, and left.

Would you take that as a, " I will call you in a month to schedule a time", or are we supposed to call HIM?

I'd probably put a call in if you don't hear anything, just a friendly little "you said you wanted to come out in 4 weeks, just wanted to let you know when we're available"

I used to have to schedule in advance for the next appt, and if I needed to get something done in between would have to do a LOT of calling to track down my farrier (busy man, lots of clients, and I was low-priority, which sounds awful but was just the truth, if you shoe a lot of large clients with dozens of horses, it's hard to get out for one person with no other clients at that barn).

My new farrier is incredible- she keeps track of appointments, let's me know when she's coming, comes out quickly when we have an issue, and even (this astounded me the other day) put my horse back out after he was fixed up, which meant walking way across the farm, across field 1, to the back pasture (I hadn't asked her to). Oh, and she also checks on his feet whenever she's there for other clients, makes sure everything is fine (and if not, fixes it, often without calling me or anything). Great service, LOL

I generally have a problem keeping Farriers, not because of my horses, but where we live....can you say,'middle of nowhere'?

Plus, they have, in the last couple of months, raised their prics twice, because of the cost of fuel.

But, the biggest complaint I get, is, it is not worth their time coming out here, for just three horses, so I try to get a couple other horse owners together, to make it worth it, usually with no luck, most of the horse people I know, do their own trims.

That is why I think I havn't heard from him, he doesn't feel it is worth his time to come all the way out here, for just three horses.

When he left, I honestly thought he was saying HE would contact ME in 4 weeks.

My farrier is awesome. He does 2 other horses at my barn and they're all on the same schedule. He keeps track of it (as do I, but I never even have to call him) and shows up on the day my horse is due. His son always comes out with him, and they are both fully capable of doing my horse when I'm not there. He'll leave me a bill and a note. I call him I have any concerns or questions and vice versa. Yeah, I love my farrier. [smile]

My farrier makes the next appointment before she leaves. I like that. My other farriers just waited for me to call them.

I've had it both ways. I had one farrier that would schedule the next appt before he left but then was horrible to actually show up and not call either. Got rid of that one quick, I do understand things come up but at least call and let me know soon as you can, that is why you have an appt book.

The farrier I use now, being a farrier is not her regular job, just something she does on the side. I call her when it's time and we schedule what will work for both of us then. Easier that way for me right now with kids, college, etc. Plus her days off change, so it's just easier to call her.

I did have one farrier that would pencil ya in for the next visit and then call one or two days before to confirm. That was nice because sometimes I am horrible at remembering or I'll write it down wrong on my calendar. I'm not sure how this guy did that either because that was his full time job and he stayed busy as heck workin under the horses! Sure was a nice thing to do though!

It is a rare horse owner that keep their own schedule. I schedule my appointments before I leave. Then I call my clients one week before to remind them. It keeps everyone in the area together and that is best for me. I would call your farrier just to see if he is still comming.

I've had it both ways, and while it is FABULOUS to have a farrier that makes an appointment before he leaves, calls to confirm, and shows up ON TIME... most of the farriers I've ever worked with are believers in letting the client call and beg for them to come out for atleast a week before actually showing up.

I make the appointment before my guy even leaves too. I only call if one of the horses has a problem or throws a shoe. [smile] I'd probably call your guy just to make sure. [smile]

The barn i am at here in VA has over 140 horses here. So the farrier has a set day of every wed from 9-4. and second farrier comes every tues. and one other farrier comes up from NC 1 time a month. I like my farrier. He comed every wed. and twice a month we talk. 1 time for one mare, and another time for another mare. works for me.