Sign in to follow this  
Lightning Strikes Twice

Dressage Chit-chat Thread: Volume 22

I've never started one of these before haha, but I can't copy the last posts of the old one because it's not on this software yet, so we'll have to start fresh, and I'm pretty sure it's volume 22... ? Oh well, I'll can fix it later if it's not.

Anyway... here we are on our pretty new board, I can't get used to the fact that we're at the top of the discipline forums now and always scroll past to the bottom LOL.

I posted a video last week and got some fabulous advice from you all, especially IronBess who told me to sit back, bring my elbows back and keep my hands where they should be... so I did... and Lightning was soooooooo balanced and confident, just from that little change. That was the best ride.

Then today it came crashing down hahaha, not really, kind of, but I confused Lightning and now I feel bad. I can't leg yield anymore, LOL, and it turned into a big mess in my lesson and I feel like I can't get it right. I know I can't expect it to be perfect, but you know... it's that feeling that blahhh I suck.... and want to cry even though that won't fix anything LOL [surrender]

I'm up to working about 40 hours a week, so that keeps me busy too. Apart from that it's cold and windy, but we've passed the shortest day, so it's all upwards from here :)

Hope everyone has a good day/night/whatever time it is there!

- Lisa

So I usua;;y don't post on these type of threads because it gats to confusing. However it is 5 in the morning and I am bored. Today is Cheese's and i first dressage show. If it isn't to hot we will do some xcountry schooling after. We are only doing Intro A and B.I expect the first test to be not so good. I am not used to riding in a dressage ring. So I kinda have to get a feel of the dimensionds first.

As I type this I have a poor sickly kitty that has a vet appointment ov thursday. The poor guy is so congested. He was on antibiotics and nose drops for this a few weeks ago. He got better but a couple days after the meds were done he started to get snotty again. He just wants to lay on someones lap. However it is so hot right now. It makes it uncomfortable.

I so can not wait to fall.

Well, I'm supposed to be leaving tomorrow for PC Championships . . . but it ain't happening. Riley's 6 week long abscess had not resolved enough for him to pass the vet jog out, and then this morining it blew out his other heel. He's getting better, but I've ridden him 4 times in 6 weeks, and I just can't see him coming completely sound in one day.

I'm not horribly disappointed- this is the 3rd time in a row I've had a horse go lame before this darn thing. Bruise, broken leg, now abscess. Not even the same horses. It's not meant to be I guess. I won it the first year, so I'll continue to rest on my laurels.

As long as he's sound for the 5k Grand Slam in Sept, and BLM Champs, I feel happy.

Amore's been tough lately. I'm taking her down to Fl on Monday for a clinic with a trainer at the Spanish Ridind School and hopefully he can help; I don't know what else to do. It's all so hard for her, and there's no reason it should be.

I had my first lesson on the baby horse today! I rode Frasier, and he was great! I was so worried that, because he's come along on the bit so fast, that it was too good to be true and I was cheating somehow. Nope, I'm definitely on the right path, some I get to start introducing figures, and some stretchy trot.

Remm's lesson is tomorrow. I have videos from riding them two weeks ago, but I think most people have seen them already. If you missed it, I can post them here.

101 degrees today, with full blow humidity. Some tstorms to roll through to night and break tis nasty weather I hope.

Oh, my sister is going to Nationals on a friend's horse, and I have to say, I designed the world's most awesomest Training level musical for her. That test is a beast! I love it! So I hope she wins.

I feel like I can't get it right. I know I can't expect it to be perfect, but you know... it's that feeling that blahhh I suck.... and want to cry even though that won't fix anything LOL [surrender]

I moved Razzle to a new barn, and it has this GORGEOUS rubber footing in the outdoor arena . . . which gives Razzle so much freaking suspension, it is like riding a pogo stick. I can?t sit his trot to save his life. We are just stuck. I can?t get him forward. I can?t ride him at all. It is just terrible. I suck. So trust me, things could be worse!!

~Shelly~

I'm glad to hear that I'm not the only one who feels insecure (emotionally) about my riding sometimes. We have some good days, but it's hard to focus on them when we feel like we are going backwards.

I am about ready to go on a road trip to Kansas City. There are NO nearby tack stores with dressage clothes. The one store that might have was in Cedar Rapids and was ruined by the recent flooding. Thank goodness I thought to check that before gassing up the car and driving out there. I know two store in the KC suburbs that carry dressage stuff. The only catch is that it will be a 3 1/2 hr drive each way. So it would be an all day trip. But I really want to try on some show shirts, coats, and breeches. The trainer has a pair of white, full seat breeches that I could probably borrow. But I'm tired of showing in hunter attire. And frankly, I want to go horsie stuff shopping. [bat Eyelashes] We'll see.

Have a good week everyone. Hopefully we'll all feel better about our riding soon!

Tracy

Well, we had a decent but not spectacular lesson on Sunday. That lesson was really good compared to today's ride, however. While some "moments" were equal to if not better than Sunday's lesson, we just weren't together and connected and, worse of all, we couldn't even manage to be consistent, good or bad.

So I found a good moment and decided to quit while ahead so to speak. Tomorrow will be better!

All in all, however, I am really happy with how things are going with us. Unfortunately, all my attempts at shows, starter trials, xc schooling, have failed. Miserably.

Lisa---I'm glad that you had one really, really good ride and share deepest sympathies with you on the "stuck" feeling. I'll feel "stuck" for the longest time, some tiny breakthrough and small time of excellence, and bam, I'm "stuck" again. [Huggy] Huggles for that.

csa--I hope everything goes well, particularly with the kitten!

KissTheSky--You have no freakin' luck. I swear! Yet you always manage to forge ahead, which is pretty darn impressive. Fraiser and Remm do seem t=like they are coming long extremely fast, but its for all the right reasons, so give yourself a double pat on the back. I do adore those two so feel free to share photos/videos any time.

Shelly--Oh no. Don't you dare. You've worked too hard and for too long with this horse say "I can't". While it does sound like you are in he "stuck" position, one that Lisa feels like she is in and the one I so frequently fall into, it does NOT mean that there isn't a ladder out of hole. You can ride that horse. Pull your head up and ride that little bugger because you two are one amazing pair and goodness gracious I won't let you get yourself down. So. Sit back. Take a breath. Hug your pony. Go for a trail ride. Take some time and return again to the dressage ring. (Oh, and take some photos. Pretty photos of your gorgeous little thing will make everyone ooh and ahhh and feel better.)

TracyA--You said it in a nutshell. Its the whole "pedaling-backwards" feeling that seems to be plaguing us all. Plus, you've done so well by Fessor. Look back a year. Things truly do change in a year, don't they? Anyways, have you tried shopping via Dover Saddlery Online?

Hooray Lightning for resurrecting the thread!

Well it's good to hear from everyone, even if everything is not going so well. I guess I can add my commiserations to the pot...Vegas is doing so well in many aspects, but she is SOOOO hard to bend to the right and she is so resistant and won't get off the inside rein! And don't even get me started on leg yield...suffice it to say that since she won't get off the inside rein, she won't leg yield.

BUT...that's all part of the game. That's why we do what we do - to get better. If all the horses were perfect, what would be the fun of dressage?

So, now away from the poopy news. Life is being life around here...the job hunt continues. I sent off 13 resumes to places in the central part of the state, and I'm going to send a bunch off today to local places. I'm undecided about whether I want to move out to the central part of the state or not...I guess I'll just wait and see where I get a good job first. I'm leaning more towards staying here in the valley right now and finding an apartment not too far away so that my girls can stay here.

Oh! Exciting news! I've decided to breed Vegas next spring to a lovely young stallion. He is an Akhal Teke; it will be an unusual cross, but one that I expect to yield a good result. You can see him here his name is Samovar, he is toward the bottom of the page.

Other than that not much is new...just going insane living with the parentals - now I know it's true, once you leave you can't go back [surrender]

Dobby, I'm feeling lucky these days! I have four healthy, mainly sound horses, and I can't ask for much more than that! In comparison, I spent my entire 16th spring, summer, and fall to nurse my horse Breeze, who was dying of cancer. My 18th and 19th summers were spent nursing Riley's various problems. I've had two good show years in a row (minus the past 6 weeks, where I've missed 2 shows), and my only complaint this year is an abscess, which is a minor annoyance compared to the rest.

Tracy- I'm fairly confident in my riding ability, I've had successes, and I swear, somedays riding Amore (esp the last 2 weeks) I just want cry (and I often do, to my chagrin), I'm so frustrated. She can cut down on self-confidence like none other! Believe me, we all feel insecure sometimes.

Shelly--Oh no. Don't you dare. You've worked too hard and for too long with this horse say "I can't".

Don't worry, Dobby, we are fine and dandy in the indoor arena. Different type of rubber footing in there - a rubber mix that we do just spectacular on. I got a great ride in there on Saturday schooling him on his trot and canter half passes, no problem. Then I tried him in the outdoor on the rubber footing, and that was the disaster. Guess I'll just have to warm up, do the majority of my rides in the indoor, then spend 10-15 minutes of every ride in the outdoor "adjusting" to the footing out there, then finish up the indoor proving to myself that I can indeed ride, until we figure out the footing in the outdoor. *sigh* I have a lesson this Saturday though, so that plan will have to wait until a schooling ride. I'll have my lesson in the indoor where I can actually get something accomplished. Still need someone to show me where the trails ARE before I can take him out on the trails. Good grief, still need to find the light switches so that I won't be grooming/riding in the dark at nights after work!!! I really HATE switching barns.

~Shelly~

Woohoo the Chit Chat Threadis back in action! Good Job LTS :)

Glad to hear that everything is going ok w/ all...even though there are some downtimes.

Here's my quick update...

Ponyboy has been doing good. SOUND yay! This week has been so much better. Had a lesson for the first time in MONTHS 2 weekends ago. Yikes. Reality checked us both in real hard. I'm working with a new trainer for the next month or so...until she heads back down to Florida :( Meaning I'll be w/out trainer again....until I can find someone else. While our previous rides before the slap in face lesson I thought where nice....which they were but they were safe. Trainer told us we need to step up game. I even got a video of that first lesson. 2nd lesson was sooo much better. She has me riding a different way than what I've ever been taught. It was fun though...makes me think about my entire position. Trainer got on him before lesson and had him looking like a lovely dressage pony. She worked on making him a bit "hot" on the aids and having him on her core. I obviously was not riding like that as I got back on him...I went wow. I really didn't have to keep my calves on him much as he was super sensitive to my core. Riding totally w/ my core is a bit of a challenge! Trainer said that with some intensive training and some more conditioning could have him going 3rd by Jan. Of course how am I going to manage that if she goes to FL! ahhh! Would love to send him to her for a month...or so. As I've never had a professional train/ride him. Old trainers have sat on him a few times...but could never afford to have some training put on them. Oh well. It would be nice to do this intensive work and be able to do it!

Show update- Scotch did go to a dressage show this past Sunday. What a good boy he was! It was super hot....95+ luckily there was a breeze so it was bearable. He was sooo good. Won both of his classes. first test I was like ehhh....need more impulsion...need to readjust response...lots of things to work on...so he ended up w/ a 67.6 and his next test was so much better. I did more transistions and had him a bit more hot to my aids. He came out w/ a 71.2! Yay ponyboy! What I was pleased w/ the most was his great workmanlike attitude. And how utterly relaxed he was! What a change from his 1st show season! Goal is to do ok @ BLMs and Regionals...we'll see though. Haha we might be a bit outclassed. :)

I think we all need a great, big ol' group hug 3.gif It is reassuring though, that we're all somewhere in that room/hole/stuckness/emotional turmoil, it's not just me LOL.

csa - How did the show go? I hope your kitty is feeling better.

KTS - Aw bummer! That is sucky that you can't go. Maybe... next year.

Tracy - Yay! Roadtrip! haha. Sometimes you just need to satisfy that buying-horsey-stuff urge. [bat Eyelashes]

Dobby - I really enjoyed seeing your pics on that other thread! I don't think I've seen pics of you before =D

That's a good way to describe it.. definitely stuck. I know that is half the journey, but it sucks LOL [Huggy] I actually have described it as being in a room and trying to find the light switch, much like your hole/ladder. I've thought about it a bit now.. and cleared some of that immediate panic reaction away, now I think I'm ready to move on. I think the main thing is that it is changing what I have always done, and I have to actually teach Lightning something different, we're changing the meaning of some of his buttons and refining others and it's all unsettling, and so I panic LOL, I panic that I won't be able to do it, and then I can't teach him because I doubt myself. Up until now he really has done most of the teaching, now I have to step up and work out how to show him what I mean. That's probably more than you wanted.. but I needed to put that on paper... [Crazy]

Megan - you need to have a stern talking to that girl LOL. Is it possible she's sore? out of whack somewhere? I hope you find the job of your dreams soon! I can't wait for a Vegas baby.. when's it due? [Jump] LOL Just kidding.

Shelley - Think of it like an adventure! Mind you, I've never moved so I can only imagine how skeery it is. I hope you find the light switches soon! All of them, the riding in the outdoor one included.

3day - yay! Scotch is sound! -touches wood- What a great show! Woohoo! Psh nobody could outclass Scotchy pony!

Not much going on here... working and stuff. It's cold and windy.. and now its raining lol. Oh and I forgot to say, I also rode the pony in the paddock the other day, LOL. The neighbours looked at us weird, but we survived =D

Have a good day/night/whatever time it is there!

- Lisa

KTS -Geesh you had a couple of bad years. I am glad you are having a couple of good years . Sounds like you deserve them

LST- Sounds like you got to be a bit lazy(just joking). It sucks when oyu have to step it up and get out of your comfy spot. But that is the only way you are going to get better.

Unforunately the cat is still sick. So we are taking him to the vet in an hour. He is already crawled into his carrier. I guess he is tired of being sick.

The show went better than expected. I'll give a full update later with pics. Our first test we got a 54. Which is better than I thought we were going to get. Our second test I woke up and actually rode the mare and got a 61. We did somw cross country schooling afterwards and it was wierd. I'll explain later. I have to go and take the kitty to the vet.

Okay, everyone is chatting again and I need to try out this new software!!

I have been showing quite a bit. Beckham is coming along nicely and Shelby is qualified for regionals at first level. I am showing some 2-1 now as she hauls me through 1-4 like a crazy mare.

I am starting vet tech school in September and am very excited about it. I have just been crazy busy and it is great to hear from everyone on here!!! [Yay]

So, I'm packing for Florida right now (I need a break from it, hence the computer!). I'm taking TWO horses now . . . there was an opening when someone's horse went lame, so I'm taking a baby!! I'm thinking Frasier- he's very fancy and will impress (if he behaves!) the big money people who will be there, and hopefully they will be interested in him or spread the word. Amore was my main reason to go- but we had a freak accident yesterday and she scraped up her knee. I was leg yeilding her out a step on a stretch circle at the end of our ride, and she slipped and lost her balance and ended up falling over on to her side. I had my leg under her, and caught myself with my elbow, and amazingly only ended up with a slightly sore arm. She's sound on the knee, but it's slightly warm and puffy, so I gave her today off, and I'll give her a light ride tomorrow to see how it handles work. If she can't go, then I'm taking Frasier AND Remmington. And a helmet, lol.

Jeez, they both have massively thick manes and whiskers I better go tame. And pack some more.

So, I'm packing for Florida right now (I need a break from it, hence the computer!). I'm taking TWO horses now . . . there was an opening when someone's horse went lame, so I'm taking a baby!! I'm thinking Frasier- he's very fancy and will impress (if he behaves!) the big money people who will be there, and hopefully they will be interested in him or spread the word. Amore was my main reason to go- but we had a freak accident yesterday and she scraped up her knee. I was leg yeilding her out a step on a stretch circle at the end of our ride, and she slipped and lost her balance and ended up falling over on to her side. I had my leg under her, and caught myself with my elbow, and amazingly only ended up with a slightly sore arm. She's sound on the knee, but it's slightly warm and puffy, so I gave her today off, and I'll give her a light ride tomorrow to see how it handles work. If she can't go, then I'm taking Frasier AND Remmington. And a helmet, lol.

Jeez, they both have massively thick manes and whiskers I better go tame. And pack some more.

Good grief!! Glad you are okay!

Have a great time in FL!!

Time for me to do a little catching up myself!! I can't say I'm not happy with my riding these days, I haven't been on Beau in 3 weeks! [shocked] July 6th was the last time I rode him at a workshop at my trainers. She then rode him for two more weeks. He was there for 3.5 months altogether. Very well worth it to have her ride and train him for me. Then we moved last weekend. I finally have my horses back home again after 4.5 years!!!!!!!!! [Yay] I can't believe it. A gorgeous home on 5 acres with an arena to die for!! My barn is almost finished and I intend to drag the arena tomorrow and get Beau out and ride him. I have a young girl leasing my other horse and she will start riding him next week. He hasn't been ridden in about a year now, so we plan to longe him and build him back up a bit first. I seriously have to get myself and Beau going really good. We are going to regionals in October. So time to hit the grindstone again.

We need pics of your lovely farm, Boocoo!

What regionals are you going to? Mine is 12 hours away, the next region's are 8 hours away, but the exact same weekend as BLM, which are 5 hours away, so I'm doing BLM for the very first time.

Well, Frasier spiffed up well, and looks much less like a mountain goat. He liked being clipped. Not too horrible about his mane pulled, and it shows off his lovely masculine leftover stallion neck.

Amore's 100% sound, but still puffy with some heat, so chances are getting slimmer that I can take her (****! she REALLY needed this), but if it looks better this evening we'll play it by ear.

Which means that I have to clean up baby #2, Remm. And that's gonna take a while. He's hairy, and has a massively long thick mane.

And Riley is STILL slightly off with this abscess.

So I got it in my head that since this was all still on one page I might try and keep up with it this time around [Crazy] We'll see how that plan goes!!

Light, I'm going through roughly the same thing you are right now (sort of...I'm changing the "rules" on the horse and she thinks I've lost my mind). My trainer has proven to me that Anna CAN indeed go round, and so now I'm starting to demand that she use herself well, and she's saying, "Uh...are you sure?" Trainer hops aboard and she's instantly soft and light (AND round, not soft and light and nose in the air). I hop aboard and I have to spend 15 minutes finessing it out of her before I come close. Two days ago I FINALLY "got it" to the right. We could get it quickly and maintain it the whole time. To the left was another story entirely. I finally got way too frustrated, went to the right again just so I could end on a good note, and got off.

Yesterday I got it though! Going to the right was wonderful again. I figured I DID have to tackle going LEFT though (this seems to be a common theme with me?.poor, tolerant, ponies!)

We?re going left, and her nose is going right, and I?ve got my hands doing what their supposed to (closed on the inside rein, half halting the outside rein), and she?s got her nose going more right saying, ?I don?t CARE about your stupid flexion rein?

Me: Need more inside leg. Forgot about that.

Anna: Then I?ll FLYYYYYYYYYYY off to the right

Me: Shoot, THAT?S why my outside leg is supposed to be back and on

Anna: Well I?ll just trot in place then

Me: Right, I?m supposed to be driving with the seat too

Anna: $hit! I have to go light and round and on the bit if you?re just going to do it all like you?re supposed to!

I take it the goal is to eventually apply all the aides at the SAME TIME and not over the course of half a circle, but I DID manage to get her going beautifully to the left. All by myself. Without my wonderful trainer getting on first, and without lunging in side reins first. Woohoo!!

Snow pony is going well too, but only after a horrible week of playing musical bits. And that is NOT a game I tend to play. Ever. I had been riding her in Myler bit I had around. A level 1, plain, single jointed snaffle of some variety or another. Well, apparently it was of the not-legal-for-dressage variety. Stupid copper stripes! New mission: find a legal bit before her first show!

I had a Sprenger KK lying around, so I thought I?d give that a whirl. WHEW she HATED it. HATED it. Two days of fighting and I thought maybe she just didn?t like the bean on her tongue (she had never been in a double jointed bit before), so I switched to a Sprenger single jointed snaffle. HATED that too. We finally decided it must be the width of the bits. Both HS bits were MUCH thicker than the Myler.

My trainer brought out a bridle she thought would actually fit Snow, and it had a bradoon on it that was quite narrow. Sure enough, Snow went WONDERFULLY in it. Thank goodness. It was a painful week.

As we fitted the bridle to Snow's head, trainer gave a tweak to straighten out the caveson, looked at me and said, "Do you know whose bridle this was?" I guessed her dad's old Lipizzan stallion (thinking cob-ish sized head). She got a bit teary-eyed and announced it belonged to HER old FEI stallion Rhoquest, who passed away in 2005 after an illness, FAR too soon in his young life. [Me Cry] I told Snow she should feel honored, and that it was an awfully BIG bridle to fill!

Now off to catch up on everyone else!

LTS- I keep forgetting its Winter down..over there or whatnot. Does it truly get cold down under? Sounds like you are a busy girl. and the slaughter truck pony nevah outclassed! HAH!

Boocoo- Congrats! Hope that your ride on Beau goes well and that's super you found someone to lease you other horse! Yes must get pics! Woohoo I'm going to regionals too. First time ever....I've always qualified...but injuries...or like the other year my pony (not sure if you remember her) Jade passed away. But I'm crossing my fingers for Scotch to stay sound and go.

CSA- good job at your show! I believe you are in PA too? Where was your show?

Beckham- sounds like your boys are doing well! How has the show season been treating you two?

KTS- ouch glad to hear you and Amore are ok! Have fun in FL! What area are you in? Are you going to regionals too or just BLMs? I think you are in my area...but I could be mistaken!

Ironbessflint- timing of the aids can be so hard! But it sounds like things went well for you! Your mare is very cute btw. eep finding a bit that your horse likes. PIA. how cool that your pony is in your trainer's old FEI bit. :)

Not much here. Sent in my entry for a few more rec. shows. Then will probably stop showing until BLMs and Regionals. Gotta save up some money for those two big whoppers. Thankfully my amazing boyfriend is helping pay for BLMS as an early bday gift! Called Hasslers to see if ponyboy and I can head down to Scott's for a few days to get some training. Espeically since this new trainer of mine will be heading back down to FL. :(

Also heading to this other barn to be introduced to some of the youngsters I will be backing and starting! Have a lesson today too. so busy day! Hope everyone has a great weekend

3day- I wish I could do both, but 12 hours to Regionals just takes too long (plus I won 2 divisions last year, so I feel pretty vini vidi vici about it, having the jackets and the coolers and the money, yay!) and the other region is BLM Weekend. So I'm just going to conquer BLM!

I'm in South Central North Carolina, which is region 1. But I am seriously a quarter mile from the SC border, which is Region 3. We bounce back and forth.

Beckham - Glad to hear Beckham is coming along, and shelby qualified! yay!

KTS - Poor Amore! Hope she feels better! I'm glad you're non the worse for wear as well. hehehe what an adventure for the babies though.

Boocoo - 3 weeks!! I bet Beau doesn't really mind that much though. I'm so happy you've finally got them home! Woohoo!!

Bessie - Welcome to our thread [Huggy] Yay for finding a bit for Miss Snow. That is such a sweet story about the bridle, maybe Snow will draw on some of that FEI stallion energy [Jump] . [ROTFL] Poor Anna.

3day - haha probably not cold by PA standards.. it gets down to about 0-1*C at night, then to about 14 or so during the day, sometimes colder with wind chill. Yay! What a great birthday gift. Oooh babies! and have a great lesson.

Now... it's raining LOL. I have a lesson tomorrow so I hope it doesn't rain too much. Then on Saturday I'm going to the Cirque du Soleil performance in Sydney, can't wait for that it should be good! I ordered Lightning's grazing muzzle hahaha, he's not going to look like a blob this summer! Yay! Annnnd -touch wood- he's gone a whole month over in needing his injections --quietly jumps up and down-

Hope everyone has a good day/night/whatever time it is there!

Kiss, what is BLM and when is it? I am going to Region 9 USDF regionals. They are in Guthrie, OK at the Lazy E this year. About an 8 hour drive for us, but my SIL lives there, so will get to see family at the same time. Should be a blast.

Good for you 3 day, going to regionals as well.

Lightning, have fun going to Sydney. How far away is that for you? Beau actually misses it when I ride him. I can't figure out why yet, I don't ride that great, but he loffs me!!! [Jump] He does enjoy his work though and likes repetition. I didn't get a chance to ride today though, we were still working on my barn. It's not done yet, but done enough to put the horses in it. Hopefully I can try to ride tomorrow. It's only been a week since my trainer last rode him, so not to bad.

BLM is the Colonel Bengt Ljungquist Memorial Championships. It's a national thing, and it's kind of a free for all Ammies vs Pros since it's only divided into Jrs and Srs, and then some complicated divisions. It's a bit more competitive than Regionals I've heard. You ride the test 3 of the level, so I'll be going for 2nd 3 and my musical, hopefully. It's Oct 23-36 in Virginia.

cblm.org

Wow a bit of catching up to do...

Lauren: That's great that Scotch is doing so well! Must feel good to finally be over all the lameness issues - I know the feeling. Vegas has only had ONE lameness this year (knock on wood) and I finally feel like we're past the worst of it, although now her twelve years are starting to catch up to her and we're going to see some more significant arthritic changes in the next year or two. Sounds like you're going to do as much showing this year as I am! Any events in the near future??? You know you can't stay away forever - once those trakehners get in your blood they don't ever leave!

Boocoo: WOOHOOO!!!!!! I TOTALLY know how you feel about keeping the horses at home! Except I've only boarded for about two years altogether and that was enough for me - I don't know how you did 4.5 years! Hahaha our horses moved into the barn about a year ago, but it's still not "finished". Hopefully we can get all the trim up and the tack room done before the rainy season comes! I'm happy for you though that you have your farm...definitely need pics!

LTS: How cold does it get in Aussieland? Here it stays around 5-10C all winter, but we get close to a 100cm of rain a year! It's pretty awesome though, cause technically I live in a rainforest - it's just coniferous instead of tropical!

Can't remember anyone else, but sounds like everyone is doing well!

Things here in the Great Northwest are going well. I've sent off entries to three events and I'm waiting on the opening date for one more. Vegas has been going so well this year that we moved up to Novice...we're doing three Novice events and then hopefully we'll move up to Training in October. If she's not ready then we'll spend the winter getting ready, do a few schooling shows and eventing derbies and then hit the first Training event in May. But I really think that she'll be fine for October, as long as we keep up the hard work and get in some serious lessons with my new trainer.

Macy is doing well too, but I just haven't been working with her as much as I would like. No particular reason for that beside the fact that I spend most of my morning doing nothing, and then the afternoon working off some debts for Dad around the property. Vegas is my top priority anyway.

I've put it somewhere around twenty applications and resumes around the area (I've decided to stay in the valley), but still I've got nothing back. I'm not exactly sure why - maybe it's because I've only been home about ten days now, so maybe it's just not enough time. But I do have limited job experience, so I'm hoping that I'll still get hired somewhere - I applied to entry level retail places and sent a bazillion resumes to vet clinics in the hope that they'll hire me to do any demeaning and menial tasks that need to be done.

We've got most of the new fencing done around the property...we did the white vinyl three-rail around the front, and around the back pasture we're going to do a more permanent electric fence than the crappy two-tape system we have up now. Eventually we'll put up a driveway gate too, so that no more wayward ponies can wander into the street and pull a Vegas :D

Well I think that's all for now...I just realized that I wrote a novel! Have a good night everyone!

KTS- yeh that is a bit of a hike! There ya go! I'll be at BLMs in VA as well! Maybe I'll see you around or whatnot!

LST- I can't convert Celcius. Retarded American here. Never was taught in Elementary or HS...as where were using the whacked out system. But it sounds cold to me! My hometown area it would get in the negatives. soo brr? the Sss what performance? What is it that you are going too?? Hope that it stops raining so you can have a great lesson!

Boocoo- Oh you are good rider! And he loffs you!

LST-If I remember the conversions of temp right that is nothing to Pa. winters. Although we haven't gotten much snow the past couple of years the temps have been cold.

Bess- Congrats on finding the right bit. That has been one of the most difficult things for me.

Boocoo-I am so jealous that you have your horses at home.

3Day-Yep I am in Pa. The show was a BCHP tuesday night schooling show. I needed something laid backed for our first show. It sucks that your trainer heads to florida., That is cool your bf is helping pay for the show as an early bday present. Showing has been streching the budget big time with gas prices.

Well the cat seems to have an upper espitory infection. So he is on antibiotics and nose drops. He is starting to eat again,yay.At first hubby hand fed him treats. Then he started hand feeding him wet food. Someone suggested to try baby food. So he started to hand feed him that. The one day he was holding the cat hand feeding him. Very amusing.

I am on vacation this week. YAY. [Yay] So I can do some serious riding.

Man, everyone was chatting away the past 24 hours!!! I tried to do some non-horsey things with my husband since I did shows 3 weekends in a row...and one of them I was gone for 5 days:-) Saw the new Batman movie, which was awesome!! And, went to Shadowbox Cabaret last night...that was a lot of fun.

Vet tech school starts Sept 2, so I gave my notice at Starbucks and they cut my hours, so I said, fine, I'll leave earlier. A vet clinic I applied to called Friday night and wants to see me, so that is much better:-) I just have a little extra time to ride right now.

I have another show in 2 weeks...then school starts and I am going to to concentrate on lessons until regionals. I am Region 2 and the show is only about 2 hours from me, so that is cool. Shelby is doing second level now and knows 1-4 so well she has become a bit of a bull about it, so no more until regionals.

Beckham is plugging along at training level and gets better each week. He always scores well. We are up to doing t-2 and t-3. Next year I want to come out at t-4 and 1-1 by the end of the summer. He would probably come along a lot quicker if he was in training, but I have so much fun with him and he enjoys the program I have him on and is never grouchy or bad...so, what's the hurry? Plus, Shelby eats up all of my training money! HAHAHAHA! Crazy old mare.

3day-How often do you go to Hasslers? My trainer hauls her horses down there a lot...for like 2 weeks at a time. I would love to go with her some time. She has a 4 yr old and a 6 yr old that she does the young horse stuff with.

Okay, I have a million things to do today!!

Shelley

Megan- It certainly does! After having the year off which was proably the best thing for him...with or without the injuries. He has come into himself more and has much more confidence in the show ring. This year is only his 2nd year of showing. I'm very pleased with him and attitude. I know the feeling of arthritis. Have her hocks fused? Scotch has arthritis in his right hock. But the Adequan helps maintain it :-) It sounds like you are becoming quite the eventer! I'm way jealous. How is the stadium portion treating you? I remember last year you were having some troubles but it seems to have dissolved this year! Which is great! hehe. I haven't been jumping much...took him XC schooling back in May. Where he was a XC beast....and then I moved barns at the beginning of June and have only jumped him 1 time since begin there. Just been focusing on dressage alot...as my ride to shows is a dressage rider and does only dressage shows. So I'll take what Ican get. hehe. I might be able to ask her to take me to an event. But we've been focusing on moving up the levels in the dressage world. Hopefully next year I can event him more. As I'm dying too.

csa- Ok I thought so! Congrats on a successful show! I heard the Tuesday evening ones are very laid back...perfect atmosphere for greenies and newbies. I'm not too far from BCHP and show @ their rec. shows often. Ugh gas prices. Definately...I might not even do BLMs even w/ the help of my boyfriend. To tell you the truth I'd rather go down to my other trainer and ride w/ him for a couple of days. But we'll see! Keeping my fingers crossed that your kitty gets better!

Beckham- How did you like Batman?? I haven't seen it yet so I think my bf and I are going to do a date night to go out and see it. Good luck @ vet tech school! And with getting into the vet clinic! Any news pics of your 2? Well he comes up here almost once a month to do clinics which I always ride in. And it wasn't until recently that I've gone down. You should definately try to go down! He is great! I just started riding w/ him in Jan. Who is your trainer? You're in Mass right?

I WISH!!!! I only get the privilege of the occasional visit.

~Shelly~

HAHAHAHA! Yes, it is time for a visit!! I am the Shelley in boring old Ohio:-)

I still have some pics to edit through on the computer and just never seem to have time these days. *sigh*

Hmmm, but wait...isn't it time for visits to Ohio?! I meant boring in the nicest possible way!