Sign in to follow this  
Lightning Strikes Twice

Dressage Chit-chat Thread: Volume 22

Hmmm, but wait...isn't it time for visits to Ohio?! I meant boring in the nicest possible way!

Well gee, when you put it like THAT, I am RUNNING to the airport to come to Ohio!!! HA!!! Seriously, I was supposed to come to my cousin's wedding in Cincinnati at the end of August. We have been searching for tickets all summer, but they are coming up at $500/person. That is just WAY too expensive when you tack on rental car, hotel, food, wedding present, etc., so we finally had to pass on the wedding. *sigh* Why is it that we could get plane tickets from Boston to Virginia for $300 that had a LAYOVER in Cincinnati, but a direct flight from Boston to Cincinnati without continuing on to Virginia costs $500??? Does that make any sense whatsoever?? And what made even LESS sense was that the majority of the Boston to Cincinnati flights had layovers in ORLANDO, FL!!! Figure that out!!

~Shelly~

KTS, I have no doubt you will do awesome at BLM. That sounds like a lot of fun. This will be my first regionals, so I am very excited.

3day, thanks dear. I am getting a wee bit better! [Crazy]

Vegas, I had my horses at home forever, so 4.5 years was a reaaaalllly long time for me to have to board. I am just the type of person that prefers to feed and do it my way, when I want it done! I don't want to have to explain to anyone why I am doing or not doing something! They are my horses and seems like barn owners have the mentality that because they are the barn owner, they know more than anyone else! Drove me crazy! Especially when it comes to Beau. The only time I didn't have these problems was in CA., when he was at my trainers and here in TX when he was at my trainers. They actually respected the fact that I might have a clue as to what makes Beau tick!! So yeah, being back at home with them is pure heaven. And my arena is to die for. I dragged it this a.m. and rode this eveing and the footing is to die for. I even got pictures but will have to upload them tomorrow!

And Vegas, hang in there, a job will happen. Takes a little time sometimes, but it will happen!

CSA hope your cat is fine and you had a great show! Good for you.

Beckham, Vet. Tech school sounds awesome!! Good for you!

That's it for now. I am back on uber slow dial up! I can't believe it myself. It is 2008 and I can't get DSL in this area! [ROTFL] I think that is just hysterical. We are going to have to go wireless or something, but waiting till we buy new computers. My sons crashed and this one is getting slower and slower and slower and slower, kind of like me!........... [bat Eyelashes] So that said, good night all. I am trying to catch up ever so slowly with everyone. Did I mention my arena is awesome to ride in?

Boocoo- Good footing makes a great arena. I learned it the hard way.It sucks about the dial up. I don't think I could ever go back to dial up.

Smithereens-That makes no sense.Why would there be a layover in florida? Something make no sense.

3day-Do you know how the lower level horse trial are at BCHP? Are they friendly not to crazy jump courses. I am looking into doing a starter trial there in oct. It would be our first one. I want to make sure it would be a positive experience for my horse.

The cat is doing better. He is still a little bit snotty but he is eating again. Now we just have to get some weight on him again. I hsve nothing planned today and it driving me crazy. I am so used to having something to do.I am sure there is tack to be cleaned somewhere. I pulled a groin muscle somhow. So no productive riding for a couple of days. Oh well it is a good excuse to get out of the ring for a hack.

csa- I know their rec. HT is much more difficult then their starter. And actually my ponyboy's first show was at one of their starter HT. Good place to start...pretty laid back. You'll have fun!

Blah. I had to deal with some drama recently but (hopefully) its been dealt with. Cross your fingers that its...blown over, done, ka-put, six feet under, etc.

My family and I have also gone a rollercoaster decision-making process in regards to my riding, The Pony, etc. In the end however, thanks to my great trainer who was very honest and straightforward, we've decided to simply maintain the status quo and be happy with it. So although nothing has changed, my parents showed massive support and respect and a level of involvement I've never witnessed before. Really, they were great.

On a side note, riding is going fairly well. Its been a lot of work recently, but I'm really proud on how far we've come. The Pony really is amazing and my best friend. Yesterday we rode in the close contact saddle. Our flatwork went pretty well, not great, but okay. At the end we trotted over a small jump, landed at the canter, came back around and cantered over it. It went SO well and felt so together that I ended my ride right there!

Also, my barn opened up the new barn, also called the "North Barn", yesterday! We moved up a bunch horses, worked on putting up stall numbers, halter hooks, filling buckets, etc. The ring is HUGE (and I mean HUGE) and I am very excited for my trainer since this really is a long-time dream come true.

Here is the website. It hasn't been updated for a while, but will be soon: Springdale Farm

I'll read everyone's later! You guys have stayed quite busy and chatty!

Edited by ilovedobby

Hmmm...sounds like things have been pretty quiet around the country...and Australia.

Things have been quiet here too. I've just been working the horses and doing some work around the house and property to get ready for a party we're having today. Every summer we hold a party for all of Dad's employees. That's only five or six right now, plus their husbands and families. It's really a lot of fun - everyone comes over and we cook a crapload of meat on the BBQ and we show everyone around the farm...which means that I may end up doing pony rides, but we'll see.

Earlier in the week I got a call from a vet clinic in the area asking me to come in for an interview. I thought the interview went fairly well for being my first real interview, and apparently it did because they asked me to come back for a second one! This time I'll meet the practice owner. It's a large-scale small animal clinic that aims to provide care for lower-income pet owners, and they've recently up-sized and remodeled everything, so I guess they need some extra reception/cleaning help.

We're hosting guests this weekend too - A girl who lives on the coast called me last week wanting to board her horse here for the weekend. She's competing for a teen rodeo queen title this weekend at the grounds about 20 mins from my house. She and her mom didn't want to drive the three hours each way back to the coast, so she's keeping her horse here for the weekend and she and her mom are using the extra room upstairs.

The first of my string of events is on Thursday, and I'll have a lesson with my new trainer either tomorrow or Wednesday, so combine that with the spectacular dressage work Vegas has been giving me lately and I'm feeling pretty prepared.

Macy is doing fantastic too! We did our first long line session yesterday and she was super! In fact, we went from long lining to ground driving in about fifteen minutes, but we called it quits on that good note because her attention span is still only about fifteen minutes...oh the joys of a two year old! But I love that little horse.

Time to go get ready for the BBQ, have a good day everyone!

Boocoo - Sydney is about an hour and a half from us. Aww, of course Beau loffs you and you're a good rider! One thing I DO know is that they really don't care if they go like a super dooper fantabulous horse, or even if they ever reach their ultimate potential, they only care about food and feeling safe, and good things like that. Sorry you didn't get a chance to ride, but building your barn is just as exciting! Ah bummer for dial up. It took a petition signed by some... er.. rather well off residents to get ADSL internet up here too. [ROTFL] that's right.. rub it in.. you have a nice fancy schmany arena

Megan - I think it's almost the same here... less rain though I think, and maybe a bit warmer during the day some days, but the seasons here haven't been "normal" for a long time so one day is hugely different from the next. Yay! congrats on moving up! Hopefully you'll find a job soon!

Lauren (haha I'll admit now I had a brain fart when I started this and forgot your name [Duh] Sorry!) - Haha I can't go the other way.. so retarded Australian here too lol. But google is my friend LOL it says its like... 32 *F so not as cold as PA..but it's cold to me LOL. Hehe the Cirque du soleil Cirque du Soleil

Shelley(Beckham) - Ooh I want to see the new Batman movie! Sounds like you've been busy!

Shelly - Don't try to make sense of plane fares.. or anything like that really, it'll do your head in [Crazy]

I have to run, I'll come back later and update! Hope everyone has a good day/night/whatever time it is there!

Yes yes.. I know. I have been a horrible chit chatter. I am sorry!

It is great to hear things are going well... most of the way anyways. Thats awesome with the great rides, new barns, moving, etc.

I just got back a lesson. I had a lesson 3 wks ago but it was an EQ lesson and a very easy w/t for Layla b/c we werent sure if she was prego or not.

In case I havent updated - she is not pregnant. And when the vet came out to check her follicles on the next heat cycle, she had large amounts of white mucus hanging from her vulva. So we took a culture and it came back with 2 bacterial infections, one being MRSA. Great. So we waited for her to go back out, and then short cycled her again, and the vet came this Wednesday and took another culture so we can be absolutely sure what is going on in there before treating.

So that means no baby AGAIN. In actuality I know its not a huge deal b/c she has only been inseminated twice, once a year, so for an older maiden, not horrible but it is frusterating, esp when she ends up with an infection.

We believe that since she was SO stressed at the vet clinic, that got her immune system down, and when I got her home, she ended up with a small flu virus. That went away in like 3 days but she probably had the infection in her uterus at that time as well. Both of these plus her being stressed probably caused her not to be in foal.

So we will get her clean and I will try again next year. If it doesnt work out next year, I will just give up b/c it is obvious this just isnt meant to be. Oy vey.

On a good note though, I won Reserve Champion for AA Training Level in my GMO for our Spring Series. We went to the presidents farm and had a fish fry, tack sale, and awards presentation. I got a big ribbon and a vanity license plate for our club. Ive never won anything like that before.. just first places and little lead ropes and coffee mugs. So it was very nice to have that award. Plus I am already qualified for Championships for Year End and I havent even shown in the Fall Series yet (only AA in Training level qualified as of now).

Since Layla isnt pregnant, I can at least focus on showing and moving up now. Ive been doing lots of trot sets to get us both back in shape. She has just been AMAZING. You would never know she had a month totally off.

Todays lesson we warmed up and she was perfect. My trainer said that she looked better now than she did before even once we were warmed up. She told me she would like me to be at 2nd level fairly soon - not to push or rush me, but so that we have a goal to work towards. The lateral movements are totally easy - it is just establishing that connection and getting more push from her.

So today we worked on that connection and me not letting my reins flop - at the sitting trot. It was like, once I felt her just come to me, BOOM, I could sit the trot perfectly, and she had this lovely spring to her step and it was so easy. We practiced 10m circles and not losing the impulsion or connection into, through, and out of the circle.

Then we worked on more activity in the canter and again, the connection. Then getting both of us to realize that we can do canter to walk with NO trotting. To the right, it was way easier as to the left we still struggle with keeping her head and nose straight and not letting her tilt. But I got 2 each way amazing transitions where I felt her SIT down into the walk.

My trainer asks if I lengthened my stirrups. I told her nope Ive just been practicing my eq from our last lesson and imagine that - ride correctly and boom you get correct work. Who wudda thunk?

Not once did Layla say no or get upset or even act tired - she was truly just enjoying herself. My trainer said "You look at her think nahh she wont be able to do this.. and then you ask her, and she just does it so well - she is always amazing me on how hard she works and how far she can go."

So that was nice.

There is a clinic with Tom Noone at the end of this month. He is an International GP rider and my trainer has ridden with him before and really liked him. Hes not one of those people who thinks you have to have a fancy WB to do well and will help you work with the horse you have. So she thinks myself and my girlfriend who I ride with will both do very well to ride in the clinic and get a lot from auditing it. So I am going to do that. And then my first show isnt until the end of Sept.

Whew. That was a book. Oh and can you guys believe this? August 14th will be ONE YEAR at my job. ONE YEAR! That means that I have already been out of school that long. WHEW. That went by SO fast but you better believe I am asking for at least a $3-4 raise! Im sorry but Im worth it.

Ok Ive gotta go feed the ponys.

OH QUICKLY -

Over on UDBB, there is like a 17 page thread about this hair analysis thing. My girlfriend started it. She is big into holstic medicine, etc. Basically this lady in Tx uses applied kinesisology *sp!* to go off of the energy fields and can tell you if your horse has any issues, etc.

I was very skeptical of this. I am a very scientific person. But after physically watching the change in my friends mare since being on the herbal supplements, I was sold. The mare went from being a bucking bronco, almost rank at times, to being absolutely perfect and moving up to 2nd leve. She showed 18 classes last year and in 16 of them she was eliminated or had huge bucking fits - all at Training level. Shes now getting mid 60s in 1st level, the mare hasnt bucked in over 6 months, and is moving up to 2nd.

So I sent in Laylas sample. She said she had low essential fatty acids and too much over all fat in her body and she wasnt able to break it down and absorb it (I am having weight issues with her). She also said she had a build up of liver toxins and that can show itself as stiff joints, sore muscles, and anger (check check, check to all of those). Then she said her hylaronic acid was low and her joints were dry (I did have her hocks injected but he used a steroid not HA), and her digestive enzymes were low which means she cannot properly break down her food - again - weight issues.

So I needed to put her on flax meal for the fatty acids, milk thistle powder for the liver toxins, HA oral supplement for the joints, and digestive enzymes for her stomach.

I also spoke to my holstic vet who came up and did accupuncture and chiro on Layla last week. She has a Masters in Equine Nutrition. She picked up on the liver toxins, did lots of accupuncture points for immune system, liver, appetite, and other areas. She also said to try Layla on oats and pick her up to 3 meals a day. I struggle with her b/c she just WONT eat at times. Well she is loving the oats and she is now up to 1.25lbs 3x a day (with .5 lb of Gro N Win 2x a day and her 20% fat supplement) and is eating everything up, along with her supplements. The only thing is that the digestive enzymes are VERY nasty so I have to syringe them into her mouth. Even with molasses she wont touch them (I dont blame her, I want to vomit just smelling them! And they are human grade!).

Oh - I know I keep adding things and this is going to be SO long.. this is what I get for not keeping up - when my vet saw her feet she said "WHO DOES HER FEET?!" and I was like UHHHHH and I told her and she said "She has the best feet I have seen anywhere in Jacksonville!" and this vet has a huge client base here. So SCORE for Mr Farrier whom I just adore b/c he is just fantastic! ANDDDDDDD - all the deep clefts and contracted heels are GONE GONE GONE and her overall hoof form is just amazing and I am SO pleased with her feet.

Ok I SERIOUSLY have to go feed. But that is my WAY OVER DUE and LONG update!!!

Choc chip cookies, honey butter crisants, strawberry cheese cake to anyone who read any of that!

:drool:

Some photos of the Ponykins. Of course no riding b/c todays lesson was awesome.. it always works like that doesnt it?

Playing in the round pen

IMG_4687a.jpg

So beautiful.. typical Layla face

IMG_4736a.jpg

Who Me? Beautiful?

IMG_4703a.jpg

Well... of course!

IMG_4704a.jpg

Here are my bedroom eyes!

IMG_4712a.jpg

Tada.

Hey Lightning, that's cool Sydney isn't to far from you. Your right, our ponies just want to feel safe and secure and be fed. I got Beau out tonight and rode him for about the 4th time now, in my new arena. He is really working beautifully. Course he did spend 3 1/2 months at my trainers, with her riding him every day. He better work beautifully! :D I don't have a drag yet, need to get one at Tractor Supply, but we got this huge lawn tractor and I took the end of a horse wire panel, it's about 4 x 5, hooked that to the lawn tractor, put her in high gear, and off we went. It actually did a super nice job dragging the arena. Might not even go spend the $200 at TS for a "real" drag.

I started longing my 5 year old TB, who looks a lot like Layla, by the way Krazy. He is steadily gaining weight, his wounds are healing and he longes pretty decent, for an off the track TB with no other training. I am quite proud of him.

Off to register my son for school tomorrow at his new school. School starts the 25th for him and I go to work at my new job on the 18th, also for the school district. Otherwise I would have had to go back to work today at my old job! Ugh!!! I so don't want to go back to work. This place is so nice, I don't ever want to go anywhere!!

Shantel - Aw bummer, no Layla baby again =( Congratulations on winning Reserve that's awesome!! LOL Ride correctly and you get correct work, lmao, who'da thunk it, actually that was partly what we talked about in my lesson today too. Woohoo congrats on survivng one whole year! That hair analysis thing sounds interesting! and Yay for good pony feet! What a pretty girl she is, that headshot is beautiful! mmm strawberry cheesecake, and that smiley is way too cute, where did you get it?

Boocoo - What a good boy Beau is! hehe it's a good thing he learned *something* while he spent time under your trainer. Oooh what a good idea for an arena drag! Much cheaper too I bet. Can we get pictures of your new ponies in their new home?? Puh-lease [bat Eyelashes]

Had an awesome lesson today [Jump] We have forward! We have forward! LOL (It's a heap easier when you have someone knowledgable telling you what to do, but we got it for a bit) Now to accomplish it on my own. [Crazy] but it was there, and it was good! [Yay]

Also if you could spare a thought or two for my brother's friend who just got word they have organs available to transplant. He has cystic fibrosis and requires a lung transplant.

Hope you all have a good day/night/whatever time it is there!

ilovedossie-I remember looking at that website last year when I was looking for a trainer.The new barn looks nice.

Vegas-Good luck with the new trainer.

KrazyTB-I love the first pic of Layla. It actually makes me jealous.I so wish my mare would travel using her back freely above a walk.I sucks about the not pregos but at least that means you can continue to ride.

Boocoo-Are you saying your son school is starting the 25 of august? Crikes that is early. School seems to be going back earlier every year. As long as your drag workswho cares what it looks like. Trust me good footing is a must.

It is a bit ironic Boocoo has mentioned dragging her arena. The place where I board hasn't drug the ring in over a month. Well I decided to practice barrels the other day.With all the dressage we have been doing my mare has gotten some back muscle. . So her western saddle doesn't fit anymore. So I am trying different options out. Well we went around a turn and hit a deep spot. Cheese tripped over her front feet and fell. I bailed mid fall. We are both ok but got scraped up a little bit. I am getting to old to do this falling stuff anymore..

Well, it finally rained here so I can drag my arena without being covered in dust! Woohoo!!

I am glad everyone is doing well and getting some riding in! I have a show this weekend and the temps have been in the 90's and are going to drop to the 70's for the weekend! Hmmm, Shelby should be a delightful mare!

Speaking of school, I have orientation today for vet tech school...even though it doesn't start until 9/2. We get schedules, get to buy scrubs, and get fitted for lab coats and stethoscopes. Should be cool. Then I need to go to the tack shop and buy some Dansko shoes too. Buying new stuff is always fun, no matter what it is!

So quick story before I head out...I was riding Shelby the other night and she suddenly got real looky and spooky towards the woods and field near the arena. (She has been lazy as ****.) Anyway, I start thinking, crazy mare, not in the mood! I stop her and look up and there is a coyote standing about 20 feet from us watching...in broad day light!!! I yelled at it and it took off to the woods and Shelby calmed back down...she was just afraid we were going to be eaten! HAHAHA!

Have a good day everyone!!

Lightning, I do have some pics of me riding in me new arena. Just haven't uploaded them yet. I know, I'm lazy, or it could be this blasted slow dial up and my photobucket account doesn't work anymore. But, I will get some on here soon. Good for you, you got forward!! Yeah! And....... prayers for your brothers friend.

C.S.A., I would be asking the barn owner to please drag the arena. And yeah, who cares what the drag looks like, it works and it was cheap! It was called recycling!!! Gotta love that!!

Beckham, when we lived in So. AZ we saw coyotes in broad day light all the time. Especially when we were out trail riding. I didn't realize they lived as far north as Ohio? Wow!! That must have been a sight. Have fun getting your stuff for Vet. tech school. That is awesome you are doing that!! I wish I could do something like that! But not now, the time isn't right!

LTS- that's great that you has such an amazing lesson! It's nice when things go over like they should! And that place looks amazing! Sending jingles your way that your friend gets that transplant!

Boocoo- sounds like your place is lovely!! Hehe what a good idea to drag your ring. Cheap too! Yes do get some pics! would love to see this new place of yours!

Shantel- bummer no baby again this year. Layla looks beautiful as always! Wow a year already! And do you still like your job? That is the question!

CSA- I too would get after the BM or owner to drag that ring. Yikes that would drive me bonkers! yikes sorry about the trip and fall. poor gal. OH I'm headed to BCHP on Auguest 24th.... :) just to let you know

Beckham- good luck at your show!! Great riding temp for a show! Scarey about a coyote in broad daylight. not a good sign at all. Up in my hometown we had a bajillions of coyotes...lets just say there was a lot of boys going hunting for them. Way too many...bit of an overpopulation. Good luck at orientation...that's odd that it is so early. Ugh I dont even want to think about going back to college. Ick.

Not much going on here. Scotch has been going so well! He is starting to look quite lovely if I do say so myself. hehe. Yesterday I jumped him and did some gridwork...he had a blast! We both definately miss jumping! Thursday I start riding @ this warmblood farm....should be interesting fitting everything into my days. Not much else new here. Hope everyone had a good day!

Ok, here are some pictures in my new arena. No critiques, I had not been on Beau in 3 weeks and he had not been ridden in about 10 days in these pictures. The first one, if you look behind me and Beau to the right, you can see the fence line for the pasture. The barn and tack room are way behind that. You can't see it. In the 2nd picture I am at about where letter C will go. Click on the pictures to make them bigger.

post-1098-1217991200_thumb.jpg

post-1098-1217991282_thumb.jpg

Edited by Boocoo

Wow, I have not posted in forever!! I just finished reading everything, so here's my update...

I can't even remember where I left off, but I finally purchased a new horse. My trainer, Kari, knew the owners/trainers through clinics she teaches at their facility. My dad and I drove to Montana to try the horse out, and luckily Kari was teaching that weekend, so I was able to have two lessons on the mare. It worked out, and she arrived in late June. Her name is Arielle, she is an Oldenburg/Arab cross by First Class. She is seven, but had a baby in 2007 and only 2 months of training prior to that as a four year old, so she is still green and learning. However, at her age, she is matured physically and mentally. I took her to a show (her first one ever) the weekend of July 12-13th, it was a USEF/USDF rec. show. I was not expecting anything, it was just to get her out and be in a show atmosphere. We did Training 1 and 2 both days. The first day we got a 62% and 60%. The second day we scored 66% and 64%, and we were overall Training Level Highpoint Champion for Jr/YR's, and we won both classes the second day. It was a great beginning! She also got 8's on her gaits which was exciting. At that show, we also recieved our two scores to qualify for the Oregon Dressage Championships in September, which we will be attending instead of USDF Regionals, since they are too far away this year.

So that's my update for now!! Sounds like everyone is doing pretty well, and your new arena looks great Boocoo, congrats on your new home!!

McKenzie - I'll be up at three more events in WA this year, two in Centralia-land and one in Seattle-land somewhere (NWEC) If you have time you should stop by!

Beckham-I hope orientaion went ok.

Boocoo-Your arena look purty

3day-I am trying to convince hubby to go that show(that is the LVDA show right). I wanted to check out LVDA. I am debating on joinning the club next year. It is between LVDA and OVDA. One is closer to my barn and the other is closer to my trainer's barn I don't know if I will make it though. Hubby does not like pleasure/flat type shows. So I am thinking it is going to take some major convincing to have him take me just to watch the show.

Yep I need to talk with the barn owners. Unfortunatley I am done vacation. So that means I am at the barn in the morning when no one else is around. It is a family run barn. They had a show this past weekend so hopefully I will see someone this weekend.

The cat is back to being stuffy but is still eating. He was fine up until two day ago. He has one more week of antibiotics than I guess it will be back to the vets.

Quick catch up then I have to run to work.

Lightning's muzzle arrived yesterday... [ROTFL] it makes me laugh, poor guy, but he didn't mind the size checking exercise that much, as long as licorice kept coming through the little hole in the bottom LOL. Just keep telling myself it's the best thing for him and his joints. Speaking of which.. we still haven't needed more injections, he was due on July 4 -hugs a tree- don't know why or how but we don't care :happy0203: .

Had another great lesson yesterday. Now I just have to ride like that by myself LOL. Right is definitely better than left, amazingly this coming from the horse that could not canter right at all when he first came, hehe, but we'll fix it. Our barn comp is in October so we've got something to aim for.

I asked him for canter on Sunday and he puffed his belly out sucked right back and went "Nu uh NO WAY".. Goober. It made me laugh a bit, he's a big macho man having a big hissy fit :winking:

Anyway I'll come back and reply to everyone later, have a great day/night/whatever time it is there!

Boocoo - lovely arena!!

Light - glad things are still getting better and better!

My little update? DON'T go two and a half years without showing. Your show clothes will shrink in that time :winking: And now I have a show this weekend, and am wondering exactly how I'm going to pull this off. My plan was to wear navy and cream. Navy show coat fits fine, but the cream breeches are about two or three sizes too small. I have some white breeches that fit, but I've been tossed off in them, I've spilled walking taco on my lap in them, and I broke in new boots in them. Stained would be an understatement, and unless it's pouring rain, I'm not wearing them to a show (it's supposed to be sunny). But if I did have to wear them, I'd wear my longer black coat that covers up the stains. Except that seems to have shrunk a size as well. I can get it buttoned though. I have one of those nice short sleeve coolmax type show shirts, and that seems to have gone MIA since the driving event two weeks ago. So now I'm torn between rush shipping a new one, or sucking it up and wearing an actual long sleeved show shirt (it's supposed to be 85 degrees). The good news is the that the cobbler is only charging me $8 to have my boots stretched!! And they'll be done Thursday night. So I'll have them, but I won't have time to ride in them before the show. Old boots are coming as a back-up...missing sole and all. OMG. I am NOT going to be a pretty picture!

I dont have very long. There is a HUGE storm brewing (has been pouring all day and the entire area (basically all of NE Florida and SE Georgia) is in a tornado warning.

Anyways, quickly!!

Layla has been awesome, as posted. I was going to ride with my trainer in a Tom Noone clinic next weekend but the lady hosting it got thrown from a horse and broke some bones ( :( ). So it was canceled. My girlfriend, who I ride with and trailer over to often, is riding in a different clinic with Todd Flettrich (short listed for Olympics and has worked with all the who's who's in dressage). Well my trainer called and was able to get in and I went ahead and called to see if there were any openings. Luckily for me, someone had just called and canceled, so I was able to get in for Saturday! Im super stoaked as I havent done a clinic since 2004! And we are SO much better now. I audited his first clinic here a few months ago and I really like his approach.

Here are a few links to his photos.

http://www.eurodressage.com/images/02dev_akatschi.jpg

http://www.horseweb.com/articles/press/200...CO9301.PMG..jpg

So I am very excited about that b/c not only am I able to do this, but I also get to watch my girlfriend and my trainer ride and obviously learn a lot from auditing.

Oh well the rain is coming down now. Internet will probably be done shortly.

Have a good one!

Good luck Shantel and Ironbess!

My news: RILEY'S BACK!

Yay, I think the abcsess from **** (times 3) is finally done with. Now watch him be off tomorrow. I got to ride him today, the 5th time since June. I lunged him yesterday, and then before I rode today. We had to have a little come to jesus session when we first started on the lunge, (think "high ho silver, and away!"). He behaved after that (mwahaha). He acutally felt pretty good, little bit looking for trouble, but very responsive off my seat, perhaps wanted to be a bit too collected at the canter, when I just wanted a working canter, but hey, no complaints there. He just seems to glow now that he's back in work. I swear he dappled out in one day. He's such a workaholic, being off is miserable for him, and he then makes my life miserable, lol.

Other news! Remmy's first show is tomorrow. We are going to the Ark (a small zoo, complete with zebras ad water buffalos, but also a recognized event) for a schooling show and doing Training 1 and 2. If he puts out a test like he's being doing at home, I would expect mid-seventies. I honestly don't know how he's gonna react to everything, but he's a very smart horse with a sensible mind, so I think he'll be alright. I'm getting there early to walk him around and then lunge him a bit if he needs it.

Boocoo- Arena looks lovely! Bet you are glad to have your gang at home!

McKenzie- Congrats on the purchase!! she sounds lovely and can't wait to see pics of the mare! Also good job on your first show w/ her!

CSA- yup its LVDA! Got my ride times! You should come! I don't know much about the LVDA organization but its worth a shot. I'm part of the OVCTA. what is OVDA? Hope you can come...I don't ride till later in the afternoon. Where the BO of your farm able to drag your ring? Glad to hear your kitty is doing better

LTS- yay! another good lesson. sounds like things are progressing well for you and your boy. haha oh no a muzzle. poor guy

Ironbessflint- good luck @ your show!! Hope that the clothing situation works out for you hehe!

Shantel- Tom Noone...is name sounds oddly fimiliar....maybe I'm thinking of an upper level eventer that has a similiar name. Have fun at the clininc w/ Todd Flettrich....I have mix feelings about him...he used to live near me. But hope things went well for you and Layla at the clinic!

KTS- congrats on your show w/ your boy. Sounds like things went well for you. That's also good news about Riley!

My report....done w/ my 2 week housesitting. It was certainly an adventure. Locked myself out of the house....locked myself out of my car....the dog ate my favorite hoodie...chewed the remote to shreds...and their cocktoo or whatever the heck it is screams like its getting murdered. So needless to say i was VERY happy to go home. Scotch has been doing soooo well. I'm pretty exciting about these next two weekends. 2 rec. dressage shows. Won't get my hopes up high as the one show is a bigger time show. Am aiming to get some decent scores and have a good go. His neck is so big now. Will have to get some new pics up.

Courses start back up in a WEEK. AHH! I am not looking forward to it one bit. Especially when your were orginally supposed to graduate from college back in May...but I suppose that is what I get for taking time off between.

not much else is new....had an interesting past week at work. One customer made my employee cry. Ugh. The poor kid is only 15-16. g's cut her some slack. It must of been rude customer week.

Have a good day etc.

3day-I think I met OVCTA. Sorry I think it was the lack of sleep.

Cheese is doing well. For some reason I finally got what a dressage seat is suppose to feel like.I am still trying to get it at a trot I was suppose to go to a show tomorrow but can't The cat is back to being sick. So it is back to the vets for xrays.They gave us an estimate of 250-550. If it ends up being the high end I can't afford the show. The bugger about it we have to wait until he is done the antibiotics until we take him which is later in the week.So I may be able to afford it but won't know until it is to late. It sucks because it was the last dressage show of the season. Unfortunately the rest of the dates fall on other show dates. Since I am the only one showing dressage I can't show. I so hope to have a truck by next year. I hate not being able to plan my own schedule.

Krazy - good luck!!

KTS - hurray for Riley and hopefully your show went well!

3day - HATE that! I was house sitting last weekend, thought I had their keys, drove 45 minutes out there only to discover I didn't. Drove 45 minutes back home, 45 minutes back out there, finally let the dog out! I feel your pain! The car is even worse though. Hopefully it wasn't running? lol

csa - congrats on starting to find your seat! NOT an easy journey! HUGS and good luck with your cat :(

My update - the show went well!! The wardrobe did NOT work out. I wore my cream. BAD mistake. Leather stuck to the saddle alright, but as the pants were too small and I wasn't all the way in them, I pretty much hovered about an inch above the saddle. That sure doesn't help me sit. Also I was house sitting, and not in my own bed, so my back was really sore and my right hip was soooo tight I just couldn't get that leg down. AND I rode in my new boots for about 20 minutes on Friday night before my LEFT leg went numb, so I just rode in my old boots with the sole flapping in the breeze. Oh well! Otherwise...it was my first dressage show in two years (and if I'm not mistaken, the last one was when they tried to cart me away in an ambulance), AND my first show ever with The Banana. All in all, I couldn't be happier with how it went! I didn't quit riding quite as much as usual upon entering at A, so that was good. I didn't leave myself nearly as much warmup time as I had planned, and lesson was definitely learned there. And Anna was her usual saintly self, going just as well as I was riding (okay, perhaps she threw me a few bones ;) ).

Pictures, courtesy of my trainer

Our first test, F1

2.jpg

She likes the free walk :)

3.jpg

Second test, T4, still liking that free walk...

6.jpg

Pretty pony!

9.jpg

10.jpg

Starting our stretchy circle

14.jpg

She kinda likes that one too

15.jpg

Can somone please arrange for me to win the lottery? Pretty please with cherries on top? I REALLY want my own place, but short of becoming independently wealthy won't have time for one. The BO seems to think that its ok to change the price structure and add in new fees every month. The cost of boarding has gone up about 40% in the past four months. I understand her costs are going up too, but adding in extra micky mouse fees every month is making me batty. Want more than a third of a bale of grass hay per feeding for your horse? Extra fee. Want grain other than oats? Buy it yourself and she will feed. Bedding? Buy it yourself (billed on bill). Wormer? Charged seperately (used to be included), with an additional charge if she gives the wormer (you have two days to give it yourself). I understand a charge to hold the horse for farrier or chiro, but she insists on paying said professsional if you don't leave a check, then charges you extra because she paid for your horse. And she charges more for trailering than anyone else in the area! I SO want my own small place, with a few friends and maybe room for ten or so horses. Think smallish barn, indoor for winter riding, and lots of pasture with enough room to rotate through the pastures. And yes, very strong sturdy fences with a bit of electric inside for the trainer's Clyde stud and the friend's perch/morgan cross. Right now, the paddocks the horses get turned out in have no shelter and no shade! They are set up for the bo's convenenience rather than in what works best for the horses. ***sigh***

On a positive note, school has started back up. I'm in my last year of law school. Yay! Now to find a job for when I graduate that will support me, my horse habit, and pay off my loans. This year, I will be working in the legal clinic on campus. The short version, I will be representing kids in the juvenile court system as their attorney. I'll find out more about my early cases this afternoon, but I could be involved in an abuse or neglect proceeding, a delinquncy proceeding, or helping finalize an adoption. My advisor will help out a lot at first, but by the end of the year I'll be doing all of the work with only some guidance to make sure I don't hurt someone by making a major mistake. The clinic has a licensed social worker on staff that will be a valuable resource, and we also work with graduate education student. The idea is to get kids and their families all the services they need to hopefully prevent the need to remove the kids. If there is a safety issue, then yes people will be removed and placed into some sort of foster care. But if services and support can make that unnecessary, then keeping families together is preferred.

Take care, everyone. I try to scan through the topics, but I'm spending less time online these days. I'll try to check in every once in awhile.

Tracy

TracyA--I feel your pain! It seems with horses that you can't live with 'em and can't live without 'em, financially. On the other hand, that sounds like a tough job you are going to have! You're going to bearing witness to some sad and disparging (sp?) things, as well as some small miracles of change.

So yesterday, after ten days of vacation and a couple days off directly after that for wisdom teeth removal (OUCH!), The Pony's had some time off! Our first day back to real work yesterday and it was, without a doubt, one of those rides! The moments were either really, really good or really not-so-good. Funny how that works! I do think I asked him for too much on the first day back. That is one of my worst riding habits and the reason that, even if I was a top junior rider, I could never become a trainer---the judgement calls! This was all in our close contact saddle, btw.

My ride today, however, was much better. I focused much more on going forward, riding consistently, straight, forward, forward. I really focused on un-focusing on our dressage work (although we were riding in a close contact), and simply aiming for consistent pressure on the reins. It was a much more consistent ride. He really worked into the bridle and I got a great trot at some points! He had a lot of, er, exuberant energy, particularly at the canter. I'm really glad I'm not a lesson kid! He made like a porpoise, leaping and hopping, and than landing with a hoof on the gad pedal! It was really fun and I simply concentrated on my own equitation. We even jumped a little bit! I know, I know, one of the first rides, I'm not supposed to, but they were set up and he was feeling so good, like a three-year-old. He got strong after fences and there was one moment where I didn't hold up my core after a fence and nearly came off. But, of course, I did the well-spaced out two-fence line again and rode him with a "right-back-atcha-strong" method after the second fence. That solved that issue! Cooled down and linimented his back real quick, put him back out in the field.

Tomorrow I hope to ride again and than give him some loving TLC in the wash stall. I found some bacteria on his hind legs again and his tail needs to be conditioned.

Blah. I'm working 35 hours this week, doing summer reading, riding, taking flute lessons, and of course, finding time for HC.

School starts September 2nd! [shocked] Where did summer go?!

Shantel - Bummer the clinic was cancelled! How did the other one go?

KTS - Yay for Riley!

Lauren - Oh bummer! Locking yourself out sucks! Yay for shows! Yes yes pictures [Jump]

Bess - Anna-banana! Woohoo, Her mane braid is very pretty! Hahaha, love the boots :winking:

Tracy - Sorry to hear you're having barn troubles, but things at school sound exciting!

dobby - oh ouch, wisdom teeth are something I'm glad I won't have to have taken out. You sound like a busy bee and it sounds like the pony is feeling good too!

Not much going on here, working, riding and sleeping. I can't wait for Summer so I can ride later at night [Jump] We had a hock scare early last week, but it lasted 2 days and then there was absolutely no sign of lameness, so... who knows.

Hope everyone has a good day/night/whatever time it is there!