Sign in to follow this  
DaiziCrazi321a

For All Eventrs!: Please Watch!

TONIGHT! Tuesday 7-22-08 @ 10:00 PM on HBO.

My trainer sent an e-mail to everybody asking to please watch this show on HBO tonight. Sorry, late notice! But yes, it's an eventing show. It's supposed to have used a name, something like "Fatalities in the Eventing World" or something giving a not so good "name" to eventing....But most of it is David O'Connor being interviewed and something about a mother forcing her daughter to give up eventing because of the dangers. [shocked] Rediculous i know! But USEA is asking that people watch it and then give feedback.

I'm planning to watch!! [smiley Wavey]

just wanted to share!

Is it called "Real Sports?" Because the info only said something about an NFL coach and women's gymnastics... but I set it to record, anyway!

Thanks for the heads up.

i personally did not like it that much. there was a whole segment on eventing and it was very negetive.. the reporters had no idea what they were talking about, especially towards the end. one of the stupidest questions ive ever heard asked was "well then, wouldn't most of the accidents then be happening at the lower levels?" i mean seriously, use your common sense man. Obviously more accidents are happening at the higher levels because of the extreme heights and demands.

also, one thing i didn't like was they were using the term, 'saftey poo-ra' or something like that. i dont know, that kind of made me feel like they were mocking david o'connor but thats just my opinion. Also said by one interviewer, "the sport was made harder and more dangerous just to bring more spectators and make it more thrilling" which i don't think is exactly the case. Yes, the sport tries to make it more appealing to non-horse people, and yes the sport has evolved from its younger years. But it is not made more difficult solely for the thrill.

one more thing that i thought was EXTREMELY unnecessary, "the sport is now killer." "killer?" "killer."

Really, the sport is not "killer", i assure you. Yes, there have been far too many deaths. There shouldn't have been any deaths at all. But, look at how many people have not been killed in the sport! These deaths were merely accidents. As Darren Chiacchia said in his interview, "one step in the wrong place can be a disaster."

The one thing i really enjoyed in the segment was the Darren interview. it was well done and i justs love him! His recount of his story was really amazing.

My opinion in the way things should be taken care of is making things as safe as possible, but NOT changing the cross country so much as it won't be risky at all. I think that the breakaway pins are a great idea. Use them as much as possible. But when you start the sport, at any level, you must know the risk you're taking. If you're not comfortable knowing that you could get seriously injured or even die in the sport, DON'T DO IT. So for a conclusion, know the risk you're taking. If you choose not to do it, then don't.

Hmm. Sounds like it would have just made me angry more than anything, but I dont think they could have picked a better person to represent us as Eventers than David O'Connor.

Guys, HBO is about drama. They don't care whether it is wholly accurate or not. If they did the same thing about nascar, Nascar people would be riled up. It's not supposed to be informative or interesting to eventers, or shed light on a problem. It's just plain dramatic. I wouldn't get too worked up over it

Haha, I loved the Chiacchianator's segment. He's so enthusiastic. I loved how he described looking down at himself, while talking to his dad. "Well, son, it looks like you're in a bit of a predicament here." lol!! Go Chiacchia!!

HA! i caught a few minutes of this in a hotel room the other night! i was with friends and flipping channels and saw someone take a fall, then it cut to Chiacchia's interview and i was like "i know who that is. what is this?" and then changed the channel...

hmm, now i wish i had forced them to watch it.