eeyore4176

Central Il Trail Riders Chat

Since the old thread still hasn't come over, thought I'd put a new one out here so we don't all loose touch. Hubby & I met up with DoubleL and granddaughter this past Sunday. Sure was a hot one, but got in a good ride. Hunter laid down in the creek, but hubby was lucky to escape just in time.

Anyone got riding plans for this weekend? The Findlay Walleye Festival is this weekend, so Friday & Saturday nights we will most likely be in at the beer tent. I think the Decatur Celebration is this weekend too. Might try for a ride on Sunday.

we're leaving out Friday for 9-Day. We won't stay the whole 9 days, but we're going for a few days. I think it's supposed to be back in the 80's which will better than these 90's and 100 degree weather.

well , we're not camping at 9-day. We're gonna camp at 34 Ranch. It's not far from 9 day. We'll ride over to 9 day camp.

..oh, maybe you meant where is 9 day??

It's in the Shawnee Ntl. Forest. The 9 -Day is an annual ride that's been going on for several years. Not sure just how many years, but a long time. I did hear from Sue, the 34 Ranch owner, that next year might be the last year for 9 day. Because the man who leased the land at 9 day camp passed away and his son owns it now and he said he don't want to mess with it. So 9 day may end after next year ...or it might be moved to 34 Ranch, anyway that's what Sue told me.

Hi all,

Glad to finally find the topic/thread. Kept thinking I had lost my mind [shocked] Anyway, I got in a short ride at Pere Marquette on Saturday. My friend and I were the only ones there. I was really surprised by that. I won't be able to ride this weekend unless it's a one day on Sunday. To many family obligations to get through. Glad you all were able to get in some time in the saddle too! Have a great rest of the week.

Trailhoss2 - Have fun at the 9 day. I have been to 34 ranch a few years back. The trails were nice but it was very dry so not much color to the trees. Staff was very friendly. I know they have done quite a bit of work there the last few years.

Eeyore - not sure what is up for this weekend. But maybe a ride on SUnday. Need to call farrier and get Flashes shoes back on. He was a real pill to Sugar Sunday night. Had her pinned in the stall and wouldn't let her out. I do beleive he was jealous of all the ride time she has been getting [ROTFL]

Talked to a fellow rider and he said Forbes is still pretty slick in spots. Not sure if Sand Creek is open or not. What about the trails at Wolf Creek?

Just a quick note to say laugh at the aviator. Still fighting to get a picture posted but think I have it figured out. This one was just my mood yesterday evening when I couldn't get it to work.

trailhoss - I thought you were going somewhere for 9 days, not going to "9-Day". Haven't been to Shawnee yet, so not familiar with their rides. Been invited down there plenty, but finding the time is a whole other story. That's not one of those places we can go for a day ride considering the haul is close to 3 hours. Thanks for the info on it!!

HL - good to see you checkin in. I'm not totally surprised about you being the only ones out on Saturday. The weekend was steamy. I was actually surprised there were as many people at Ramsey for the Poker Ride as there were!! This upcoming weekend currently looks like it might be more tolerable. Uncle is talking about cutting hay tomorrow if it doesn't rain, so we may be in the hay fields again this weekend. Sold 80 bales last night to clear out some room for the 2nd cutting off the same field. Delivered it to their house and ended up bringing home a puppy. Hubby said it was for a guy he works with, but on the drive home asked if we could keep it. I told him he had to take it to work and if the guy decided he didn't want her, THEN we could keep her. She's a light yellow lab. She was with 13 other puppies that the lady had just rescued earlier in the day from the back of a truck.

Double - Not sure what Wolf Creek is looking like. We had some rain the other night, but the ground around us is already dried up. I'd imagine Wolf is pretty similar to Ramsey, dry in spots and wet in others. We have yet to be over there where all the mud spots were dried up. That is most likely where I will ride Sunday if we aren't in the hay fields.

Double... There should be plenty of water in the creeks this year and plety of color on the trees with this rain we've had all summer. If ya ever want to ride Shawnee in it's prettiest colors, then go in the fall when the trees are turning, it's even more beautiful then. Also in the spring when the dogwoods are flowered, it's pretty then too.

Eeyore.... It is actually 9 days of riding. There is a little camp called 9 day that is just for the 9 day trail ride. The camp is shut down the rest of the year. They used to not even have electric at the camp, but they do now. They still don't have water so you have to haul it in yourself, or I think you might be able to buy some there. There's a lot of people that come and camp there for 9 day. They have lots of peopel who set up booths to sell stuff too. We didn't want to be right there at 9 day so we're staying at 34 ranch instead. We'll ride over to 9 day. We are only staying 4 or 5 days.

I was at the 9 day ride years and years ago, it was ot in this big field, no shade, no electric and no water,it was so crowded,but I enjoyed the ride.

I just got down with the 4-h state horse show, I am ready to ride know, I am going down to 34 ranch for the State stock assoc, 100 mile ride the firt of Sept, I can't wait, I have been trying to get down south for several years know, I told John who is the President of IL. Stock, that I am going this time no matter how high the gas is.

Sandy

Indigo & I got in about 8 miles Friday around home. Saturday & Sunday were spent in the hay fields, so didn't haul anywhere. Did go and bring Rocket home Sunday. Trainer was a little surprised to see only me. Said his wife wouldn't ever consider driving their truck & trailer to haul the horses. I just said if I didn't do it then I wouldn't ride away from home very often. The other horses were happy to see him. They wouldn't leave him alone for the first 15 minutes that he was turned out and all he wanted to do was eat. Spirit never got more than a few feet away. It was cute. His nose is a little raw from being a slow learner with keeping his head down and giving to the pressure. Didn't ride him yesterday. Figured give him a day to just come home and get use to things again. Did take Indigo out for a little bit bareback outside of a fenced in area. I keep gradually getting more and more brave with him.

Went to the Walleye Festival Friday night for a little bit and a good portion of the evening on Saturday. The beer tent was packed on Saturday. Pop Rocks were playing, which always draws a pretty big crowd. Got to see a lot of our friends we use to boat with regularly. All of them asked if we were looking to get one again yet.

Edited by eeyore4176

Eeyore - glad you got some ride time in this weekend and that Rocket is home. Can't wait to see him on the trails.

Got Flash out for a short ride on Sunday and he seemed really responsive and ready to go. Didn't stay out long as the kids popped out so had to come in. Was a lazy kind of weekend and I just couldn't get very motivated.

Eqrdr - what is the 100 mile ride?

Well off to find some lunch. Forgot mine in the frig at home so I guess its a fast food day.

doublel, it is called Illinois Stock horse Assoc,100 mile ride this has been going on for over 50 years, what the do know is just set up camp and ride all day and come back to camp or ride 1/2 day ride,years ago when it go started they used to ride the hundred miles. I went back in 1975 for just the weekend, and had a ball, slept out side by my truck and horse. I have gone 3 times for the whole ride, and just loved it, last year they were at site M (Jim Egar Panther creek), but I didn't go.

Sandy

The 100 mile ride sounds like fun. Wish we had more free time this summer. Seems like it is going WAY too fast with not very much riding time happening.

Still haven't rode Rocket yet since we brought him back from the trainers. Hubby trimmed up his feet Monday night so probably not going to do anything other than round pen work until this weekend. He lost some weight while at the trainers too, so we'd like him to put on some lbs before we do any extended riding with him. I spent almost 2 hours Tuesday night combing his tail to get the clump broke up and free flowing again. Not a burr in there, but it looked like it when he swished his tail. He's already turned into my pocket pony again and follows me around, but doesn't care too much for hubby giving him attention.

Anyone have riding plans for this weekend? Looks like it's supposed to be pretty hot & muggy.

Sounds like a hot, humid weekend is on the way. Sugar is sweating up a storm like the fatty she is. With the heat on I will probably stay close to home and try to get the trails mowed. We have had a lot of rain last night and still going at it now so not sure what Ramsey trails will be like. Seems I just haven't gotten very far this year. Still hoping to make Wolf Creek, Litchfield and Forbes before hubby has his surgery.

So how is everyone elses weather on this steamy wet day?

eeyore,

mmmmm...walleye....

Haven't been to the Walleye Festival since I was in Jr. High some 25 years ago. Dad had friends that farmed outside of Findlay that we went with (never thought about it until now but you probably know them although they moved to Mt. Zion when they retired).

DoubleL, It's not hot here...yet. It rained all night and most of the morning so y'all should b getting some more rain here pretty soon. Yee freakin' haw. We have to check the MODOT web site before we go anywhere besides wok to make sure we can get there or if we have to take alternate routes. We had a really bad storm Sunday night and this is what I got to take apart Monday afternoon when I got to work....

http://www.kirksvilledailyexpress.com/news...s-power-outages

That's a 2-stall horse shelter that weighs about 1500-2000 lbs. setting upside down on top of a substation. Ameren set it back down and we had to disassemble it and throw it away. It was about 90 out and I drank two 32oz Gatorades while we were working on it.

Edited by palomino_overo

We're home from 9 day. Came home late last night. I'd have loved to stay the rest of the week , but husband hd to be at work today. I did consider staying and just letting him go to work, but thought I'd better get home and get stuff caught up. I am considering going and riding Friday.. I'll just have to see what that day brings. The riding was great as usual regardless of the heat. I am really enjoying this filly I started last fall. She's probably been the most enjoyable horse I've had for awhile. We did get to stay 5 days so we got some good riding in. We just had a real good time. I did take a camera along but didn't take many pictures but I can post the few I did take.

Hope ya all got some good riding in too.

Edited by trailhoss2

PO - My husband may know you are are talking about. I grew up in Iowa for the most of my youth. Only moved to Shelbyville/Findlay 5 years ago, so unless they are someone I've met through him or knew from college at Eastern, I'm not very familiar with the people in the area. He knows EVERYONE though. You know, it's funny we go to the walleye festival every year and I have yet to eat the walleye at the festival. I always go for a gyro from the Gyro King.

Trailhoss - can't wait to see your pics!! I know what you mean about taking limited photos. I always have my camera with me and only end up with a couple by the end of the ride. Here lately I've been riding my mare and letting cousin ride my main horse, and I don't completely trust the greenie enough to attempt taking pics from her back.

Double - When is your hubby's surgery scheduled again? I was thinking you said in October? Hopefully this one he will heal up correctly from.

Has anyone heard from Trail-Rider or DeLucky since the board format switched? Isn't the St Judes ride in Litchfield going to be coming up sometime in the next month or two? I still haven't seen anything for it.

Here are some pictures I took this week. This is Shawnee Ntl Forest. I didn't get any pics of 9 day camp. I didn't get very many pictures of anything to be honest. I kept forgetting that I had my camera with me. I didn't even get pictures of us riding through One Horse Gap. Yep, I'm not the best one to carry the camera.. I get too busy enjoying myself on the trail to be taking pictures.

...but here's a few..

.. daughter on dun mare and hubby on my other daughters palomino paint filly..

S51057v.jpg

These are some flatter trails that ride along the rocks..

S51056v.jpg

...and another...

S51052v.jpg

This is at one of the creek crossings, the girl on the palomino paint is my daughter and her 3 yr old filly...

S51049v.jpg

..and another at the creek...

S51048v.jpg

..and one more, husband on the bay filly...

S51050v.jpg

..and back at camp, sitting and visiting at our friend Clinton's camper..

S51051v.jpg

Edited by trailhoss2

trailhoss-Lucky!We did have plans to tide there this summer,but we will probably go down someting in September I think.And I get to ride either Sierra or Red.YAY for mules!

It's Sakura if you haven't noticed...and i have another HUGE update.I got a new horse!!!She is an 11yr registered MFT.She foxtrots and paces,i'm really excited.We have a parade this Saturday,so I'll let you know how that goes.And I PROMISE I'll get pictures.She isn't spooky at all.She's GREAT with dogs,trucks,and other horses.The only thing that got to her was a logsplitter being fired up as 4 dogs ran at her barking.She just jumped and looked at them.The other horse we were riding with tried to bolt.Oh!And she LOVES to go.I'm just happy!She would hav went to the auction if I didn't buy her.I got her for $250,but with her papers is a steal.

eeyore, yeah, I doubt if you know them because they've lived in Mt. Zion probably 15 years. If he's live around Findlay very long I'm sure that he knows Pat and Ernie Myers.

My best memory of Findlay was when I was little we would always stop at the Taste-T-Freeze and get an ice cream cone on our way home from the lake.

What's wrong with you if you haven't ate the walleye? I used to hit the lady from Findlay's walleye (Linda's Walleye ?) stand every year at the McLean Co. Fair when we lived in Bloomington. For Gyros go to the Lincoln Square Cafe in Decatur (ooh and get the flaming cheese for dessert).

trailhoss-Lucky!We did have plans to tide there this summer,but we will probably go down someting in September I think.And I get to ride either Sierra or Red.YAY for mules!

It's Sakura if you haven't noticed...and i have another HUGE update.I got a new horse!!!She is an 11yr registered MFT.She foxtrots and paces,i'm really excited.We have a parade this Saturday,so I'll let you know how that goes.And I PROMISE I'll get pictures.She isn't spooky at all.She's GREAT with dogs,trucks,and other horses.The only thing that got to her was a logsplitter being fired up as 4 dogs ran at her barking.She just jumped and looked at them.The other horse we were riding with tried to bolt.Oh!And she LOVES to go.I'm just happy!She would hav went to the auction if I didn't buy her.I got her for $250,but with her papers is a steal.

Hi Sakura

If ya do come down and ride in thew Shawnee Forest, let me know, I may be riding that day(s).

I'm sure the name will probably ring a bell with him. He grew up in Findlay and has always lived within 30 minutes of there. The Taste-T-Freeze I'm guessing is what was recently the Homestead Cafe that the owners torched a little over a year ago. They alway had awesome pizza and were the only place I knew of in Findlay that served ice cream. We all keep hoping that someone will buy the property and try to reopen a restaurant. Of course, little ol' Findlay has two restaurants and a winery now, so wishing for another place to go might be pushing it.

As for what's wrong with me not eating the Walleye . . . I don't usually eat fish unless I'm having a craving for it once every blue moon. All the bar - restaurants in Mattoon serve it as their special on Friday's, so I'm sure that doesn't help with my desire to eat it at the festival. I'll have to check into the flaming cheese if I head up to Decatur anytime soon. Sounds interesting.

Trailhoss - Looks like you had a big group of people with you for your ride. I love sitting around camp with friends. The riding pics are great too. I have an ever growing list of people who have told us to let them know when we are heading to Shawnee so they can hook up with us. I STILL have yet to get hubby down there. Both of us are wanting to go, it's just finding more than a weekend free to get away. Right now I'd settle for camping over at Wolf Creek for a weekend just to get in another camping trip this year. We were over there last weekend visiting friends in the electric camping area. Our friend Jim had his movie projector out and was using the back of one of the billboards my husband hangs for a screen. You could see their moving playing from the other side of the campground. We didn't even have to look for the campsite numbers, we knew it was him the second we saw the movie in the woods.

I forgot about all the restaraunts serving walleye (Dad took us to Curly's in Decatur one Friday night). Over here walleye is not a native fish to the rivers (except Mississippi) and all of the restaruants serve catfish (which is not my favorite).

Anyone else get in some riding time over the weekend?

The weather wasn't anything near what was predicted as far as hot & humid, so we took Hunter & Indigo over to Wolf Creek for about 4 hours on Sunday. Forgot my camera at home on the counter. Both were fired up and ready to go the whole ride. Trails were still REALLY muddy in spots. Some to the point where the corp has gone through and cut new trails to avoid the existings one. Campground was pretty bare too. Only two groups of campers and no one in day parking. Lake is still high, so most of the side trails are still not rideable and the beach & cove 5 trails are still under water. The one group of people we visited with at the lookout said they can't remember anytime since they have been riding at Wolf where the trails never dried up the whole season like this year. We still got in a good ride. Hoping to start working with Rocket in the evenings this week and see where he's at with his training.

I got a pretty good ride in,we didn't ride trails though.Dan and I decided to ride in the parade,but we couldn't use the trailer because there is a cow in there(he just got a bucket calf,and it needed somewhere to stay).So...we just rode the 3 miles into town for the parade.I expected Fox to be slightly nervous or spook a few times.Nothing.Flags and horns.Clowns on unicycles.Bands.Trucks.Other horses.She took it all in stride.She even shows off...She tucked her head in and began to do her foxtrot.Sometimes sideways while going straight,silly Fox.That entire day she didn't break a sweat(besides under the saddle blanket),not even on the way home.The more I ride and work with this horse,the more we have started to connect.She reminds me ALOT of Cheez(Deb's mare).Yay!I finally have my own Cheez to ride!!!

So how is everyone doing in this heat?I was out working around 9-2 and it was HOT!I had to drink plenty of water.Hope everyone is staying cool.

Sakura - sounds like you have found a winner in your FOX. Hope you two bond together well.

Did get in a ride on Saturday with Flash and Sunday with Sugar as the heat wasn't as bad as expected. Also got rain on Sunday. Flash is definately healed up and ready to go. We made the rounds of the trails and had a blast. Saw several turkeys and a few deer. Gotta get out and finisht trimming trails as the tree limbs are a hazard when running thru the woods on Flash.

So Labor day will soon be here and I will get another long weekend. Have a family feed one day but should get the other days to ride. SO anybody want to try and get together for a ride or a ride with potluck??

:drool:

Double - I'll be up for a ride over the Labor Day weekend. Hubby & I might take the horses somewhere for camping since that's one of the weekends he doesn't work on Saturday. It'll depend on the hay fields though. They are planning 3rd cutting to start sometime next week if we ever get a couple days in a row without rain.

Has anyone been to Litchfield lately? We still haven't been down there yet. I'm curious if the trails there are similar to everywhere else we've been with the muddy spots.

Just got a message from our trail riding club. The camping outting has been moved this weekend from Panther Creek to Wolf Creek, which means we get to go now. Hubby has to work Saturday until noon, but with Wolf Creek being close we can go over and ride still unlike if they went to Panther since it's too far to go with hubby's work schedule since we would miss the group riding. If anyone wants to join us, I should have the times sometime later today or sometime on Thursday. They provide hotdogs & hamburgers, everyone else brings drinks and a dish to share. Who knows, maybe I can even talk my other half into camping!!! Looks like the temps are going to be upper 70's to lower 80's this weekend.

Keep me posted on the ride at Wolf Creek. I enjoyed riding there last year and can't beleive I haven't made it yet this year. :confused0024: Storms came thru last night and there was a lot of damage at the golf course. Since the park is just up the road from the golf course I think I will take a car ride tonight and see what it looks like. We also got almost 1 1/2 of rain last night.

Hi all,

I haven't heard anything about Litchfield, but after the storms last night, they will be muddy again. I heard some of the areas lost power until early this morning up there. I am getting my trailer back tomorrow afternoon and some of us are heading to Brushy Creek in Missouri. Can't wait. [Yay] Hope everybody gets to ride, has fun and stays safe. [Jump]