eeyore4176

Central Il Trail Riders Chat

HL - how long have you been without your trailer??? I was thinking it was a few weeks ago you said it had issues. Good to see you checking in. Hope ya'll have a good ride in MO.

Still haven't gotten the updated newsletter with the times for this weekend. Usually the ride starts after noon on Saturday. Hubby says we aren't camping cause he has billboard signs to switch out up in Peoria on Sunday. Most likely I'll take cousin's daughter with me Saturday and possibly Sunday. Look at getting all 4 horses some time on the trails if possible.

eeyore - I just got back from Brushy Creek-Black Missouri. It's a really nice place and great trails. Had an awesome time. Lost my voice somewhere out on the trails, can't seem to find it. So the Doctor gets to see me today. Sharon, you've met her, and some of her other friends met up with me there and we had a great time. Saturday, we rode about 7 hours; Thank heavens, the kitchen was still open when we got back - we were starving. We took a shorter ride on Sunday before heading back - 3 hours - Silver practically jumped into the trailer to go home. I usually have to persuade him to get in - I just stepped back and go out of the his way this time. Hope to go to Greensfelder this weekend - see what the doctor says and if I don't have to work. Hope to see you one of these weekends too!

HL - sounds like you had a good weekend. I got in 4 days of riding before I had to leave for TX. Rode Rocket for the first time since we got him back on Thursday. Neither hubby or I were very impressed with him. Not sure if the week off gave him time to forget everything, but he sure didn't understand steering at all. If I tried direct reining either direction all he did was stop & back up. Hubby said he'll work with him since I'm still on Spirit duty. Took her out Friday by herself for the first time just around the neighborhood area. She did great for not having been out for a few weeks. Saturday took cousin's daughter with me to Wolf Creek for about 4 hours. She rode Hunter and I took Indigo so that all 4 horses got some riding time in over the weekend. I saw the sign for our trail riders group, but never saw anyone I knew. Sunday took Hunter & Spirit up to Sand Creek for a few hours. Hunter was way more mellow with her than he is with Indigo. Spirit crossed water without me having to get off at all. She was even the brave one a couple times when Hunter lost his confidence and would take a few steps forward until she got nervous, but by then he was willing to pass her again. He's never been out without Indigo, so him being the lead horse the entire ride was a first.

I'm in Conroe (north of Houston, TX) until Thursday, but planning on riding this weekend when I get back. Off work on Friday cause of a farrier appointment that morning and all the travel this week. Probably just going to keep it local since I've done my fair share of traveling already this week. Was in Dallas yesterday and this morning, then just got into Conroe around 10 pm.

I've lost all spirit to ride for the time being...Dan and I decided that the best thing to do was to sell Fox.I can't ride for another 2 weeks because my wrist is messed up,and he had an offer for $600 for her and he needed the money because of medical bills and hay.So,i'm horseless again and completly devistated.We were just starting to get along so well. [Me Cry] Deb says that I can ride her mules whenever I want...but idk...the only place I can ride there is in another pasture.No trails at ALL and I don't have a trailer.So it's just not much fun.And honestly,i don't really have any motive to ride the mules.They are all well trained animals who have no faults,i like a horse with a LITTLE bit of a challange.So i'm just a little blah right now.

wow Sakura.. so sorry your horse got sold. I can't imagine someone selling my horse.. and for only $600.

If my husband sold my horse, he might as well pack up and go too!! LOL I've sold some of my horses in the past, but it was usually my decision. I can always start me another.

So when will you get another horse?

trailhoss-I'm not exactly sure.I've had a lady come up to me today and tell me that I could ride her horse,a green broke 5yr.It sounded good,he likes to go.But isn't out of control.Then i asked if he bucked...she said on occasion.Nope,i'm out.I don't want to ride a bucking horse again.Shado was enough for me,rearing i can handle with no problems.I'm going to start looking again soon.I'll probably go to a few auctions to see how the horses are selling before i make a decision if I want to buy another one so soon.

Sakura....That's where we're different. In my opinion it's easier to break a horse from bucking than from rearing.

Well, I hope you get you another horse.

We're leaving out today to head to High Knob. I've got to go get my hay loaded up to go and call the horses up. Have a good weekend everyone [smiley Wavey]

Have a great ride and let us know how it goes!It's supposed to be beautiful this weekend,so I hope that everyone gets at least a small ride in. [smiley Wavey]

The riding was great! Weather was great! ....and my filly is just getting better and better! Both mine and my daughter's 3 yr old fillies are doing good. Saturday we rode for 8 hours. An 8 hour ride in the shawnee forest is quite a ride for any horse. I was real pleased with these two young one's. That's the longest , hardest ride they've done. We did get in bees a few times. I was real pleased with how the fillies handled that too. I did get one sting on my arm. Those little boogers can really sting.

We had a great weekend. I wish I'd remembered the camera. The scenery was amazing as it always is in the Shawnee Forest.

Hope everyone else got some time in the saddle this weekend.

trailhoss - sounds like you had a good ride.

I did a little riding around home over the weekend. Some of our camper neighbors were down this weekend, so I rode Rocket up there to give Drew (5 yrs old) and Tyler (2 yrs old) a ride around the ponds. Made their whole weekend according to their parents. Friday night all the adults were hanging out up by the campfire. One of the guys asked if he could ride Saturday morning. At some point we all ended up by the pasture that night and 3 of us were riding around just in the pasture until around 2:00 am. Poor horses, but the moon was AWESOME. I got dumped because Rocket spooked into Indigo and he moved his butt to the side to get away and I didn't go with him. He didn't even go anywhere, just looked at me like I was an idiot for being on the ground.

Sakura - So sorry you had to sell your horse. I would hate to think I had to give up mine.

Glad everyone got some ride time in the past couple of weeks. Farrier has reset Flashes shoes and we are good to go. Went to Ramsey Sunday and had a nice ride. Trails were in pretty good shape but saw several trees down. Planning on going back this weekend and riding the back loop. Still need to make a point of getting to Forbes, Wolf Creek and Litchfiled this year. Our weather has been great and been getting a lot of yard, pasture work done.

Eeyore - glad you little fall didn't result in any injuries. Its so funny to see them look at you like "What ya doing down there" [ROTFL] I still want to go for a moonlight ride and also take a ride after a frsh snow. I have rode in the snow before and seemed to be a pain as the snow packed in their feet.

Well closing time so I'm headed home.

My old horse,Shado, was KING of the'watcha doing down there stupid?...i didn't buck THAT hard'...or the classic pissed off look that said'Stay off!I don't wanna trot!'...i miss that horse now as strange as it seems.

I'm actually surprised I didn't have anything happen other than the wind knocked out of me considering how accident prone I usually am. What is sad is Indigo didn't buck or anything, just moved his butt over (quiet quickly) cause of the impending collision if he didn't and I went the opposite way. I might have stayed on if I had been holding on to his mane since we were riding bareback, but of course I just had the lead rope in hand (was riding in just halters & lead ropes). Rocket was the only one we didn't put a lead rope on. Zach was riding him just holding on to his mane, which is most likely the reason I ended up visiting the ground. Oh well, we all had a good time.

For riding in the snow, I was told to put cooking spray on the bottom of the hoof to keep it from packing in. Haven't ever tried it and not sure how long it would last, but it is at least a suggestion.

I'd like to head somewhere this weekend if we aren't in the hay fields. Anyone got plans? Maybe try out Litchfield?

Edited by eeyore4176

Eeyore,

I would love to check out Litchfield this weekend. What day are you thinking??

DeLucky, Trailrider how about meeting us for a day of fun?

Anybody else in the area is more than welcome.

It looks like I will be hitting the trails again soon!I think I found my next horse...er...pony.And wow,I swear he's Garth's long lost twin!Same height,same color,same phobias of the trailer,both stand tied all day,both lazy,and both need firm discipline so they know they aren't the boss!!The only diffrence,this horse has a blaze and 1 more hind sock than Garth.And they both have a star.And both have odd names that would suit both of them.Garth...and Benny. [Crazy] And both are little chunkers!I know it's not Garth because I just saw him about 2 weeks ago and the girl who owns him would not sell him for anything.

eeyore4176-That reminds me of a story that happened once.Back when I still had Shado and he was going great for me,Hannah and I decided just to climb on him bareback with a leadrope and walk him into the pasture.Everything was going great until the other horses came charging over the hill at a dead run to greet him.Maddie tried to kick him so Shado spun away,we just had a leadrope on him,so we didn't have much control.He never went faster than a trot,and i was comfortable at the trot,but Hannah kept sliding more and more to the side,until she fell off.Somehow I ended up under her...and right into a patch of itchweed.We were in shorts and a tanktop...ugh...we were both fine and Shado just stopped when we fell off and wandered back to us and stood there.But i was itchy for a week,and after about 10 showers!

I was thinking about riding on Sunday. If we have all the rain forecasted though, Litchfield might be on the slick side. Anyone been over there lately to say what the trails are like??? It's been raining here most of the day and the weather people are predicting rain off and on all weekend. On the plus side that means no hay baling this weekend, but I am seriously getting tired of riding in mud. I still haven't seen Trail-Rider or DeLucky check in since the website changed. Horseluver any chance you are free on Sunday?

Sakura - can't say as I have ever landed in itchweed, but I have encountered the ground many MANY times riding bareback growing up. I wasn't allowed to ride my first horse with a saddle for the 8 years I owned her. By the time I sold her it was pretty hard for her to get rid of me no matter what she tried. I doubt I will ever be back up to that calaber with my bareback riding, but if I can still stay on for the majority of stuff I'll be happy. I was thrilled to be able to circle around the whole pasture at a canter without me loosing my nerve and slowing Indigo back to a trot or walk.

Eeyore,

Will tentavely pan for Sunday. We had a light rain overnight but today has been dry and warm. What does Wolf Creek look like if Litchfield is too wet? Buudy of mine said Forbes is finally drying out but it has been a mess this year. If I see him tomorrow I will ask about trail conditions there.

Wolf was good in spots and terrible in others when we were there two Saturday's ago. Still can't take many of the side trails since the bottoms are still under water. For some reason the more open areas of the trails were still super muddy. Only two really bad areas I remember going through and wishing we had taken a different route cause of the mud being pretty deep. The narrower trails were dry to the point of almost cracking. I was happy we took Hunter & Indigo and not Spirit cause I would have never got her through the bad spots. Forbes wouldn't be too bad even if we do get some rain. Didn't you say some of those trails get pretty slick cause of the clay though?

Edited by eeyore4176

Hey eeyore, Sunday if the trails are dry, a couple of us were thinking of riding at Highland - Silver Creek. I have never been there, didn't even know there were trails there. This weekend has the boat races at Litchfield. Might be kind of crowded and loud :grin: I took a drive last weekend over to Forbes - not many horse campers in the campground. I didn't get out on the trails, I was trying to get some photography work done. I might be riding at Litchfield, on Saturday, but depends on the other stuff. If I find another place to go, and the weather is decent, I really want to camp somewhere. So keep in touch and let me know what you all are planning on doing.

Hello everyone. Sorry I have not been on in awhile. Everything here is chaotic as usual. If it wasn't I am not sure I could handle it.......... [ROTFL] Trail is having trouble posting so that is why she has not been on. As for riding Sunday, Trail and I talked of going to Litchfield Sunday. We were at Litchfield last Sunday and it was not too bad. There are some wet spots......a real bad one up at the pines, and a few trees down but we had a nice ride. Not sure what they will be like with this rain. It is hard to tell, not knowing how much rain they will get. Keep us posted if you still want to go Sunday. We have a fun show Saturday if it does not get rained out that is. post-37247-1219378927_thumb.jpg

DeLucky - good to see you are still around. Was starting to wonder where you and Trail-Rider disappeared to.

I'd really like to get in a ride at Litchfield, but with the rain for the past two days and they are calling for more over the weekend, I'm just not sure about how slick the hills will be. [Question] It'll just be me & Indigo since hubby still has to do some work on the tractor and get the house ready for the appraiser to be out next week and the other girls I ride with will either have church or work. He's gotten use to getting up and down the hills behind our house with the mud, so I guess we can still try for Litchfield. Forbes is fine with me too. IDK, I'd just like to ride somewhere other than around home on Sunday.

HL - Where is Silver Creek? Highland is close to 90 miles one way, so not really a day ride location for me, but if they have camping it'd be something to consider for a weekend trip. We are hoping to start camping again sometime soon now that the weather has cooled off some.

Eeyore - We are getting rain but my coworker said Litchfield was dry overnight. She has family in the area and spent the night up there. Flash is good on hills and has his shoes back on so that is fine with me. I don't see that the boat races would affect the trails much other than where we would cross the road. I'm sure Courtney would love to come along with Banjo as she keeps asking when we are going back.

HL - I'm about 45 minutes or less from Highland but have no idea where silver creek is. If you get more info let me know. I could do a day ride down there pretty easy if I had directions.

DeLucky- glad you came by. This sure has been some year for all of us trying to ride. Have fun at the show Sat and tell Trailrider howdy.

Had a good ride on Sunday. Met up with DeLucky, Double & granddaughter, and Trail-Riders hubby and a friend of their's. It was good getting together with the group again. Missed TR though!!! Was a perfect day for riding. nice breeze, not too hot or humid. Indigo was a handful as usual. Majority of the trails were pretty decent. The muddy spots had ways around them for the most part and when they didn't, Indigo reluctantly dropped his head and plowed through it.

Anyone have camping plans for the upcoming holiday weekend? I have hubby talked into riding this weekend. Not sure if it will involve camping or if I just have to settle for the day ride. Looks to be pretty nice weather.

I'm on vacation starting Sat., so I'm building fence next week. We are fencing off more of the back yard for our new little filly. She is so small we want to keep her in a separate pen from the adult horses so we can feed her separately. The 5th and 6th we are going to Lolli's because there are a couple of horses, and several ponies for the grand-daughter that we are interested in.

We haven't been able to ride the last two weekends because her horse stepped on a nail on the 16th, so we've been doctoring her and she's just starting to put weight on it again. Plus colormeahorse has been spending time with her new grand-daughter.

Edited by palomino_overo