eeyore4176

Central Il Trail Riders Chat

That sucks your grand-daughter's horse picked up a nail. My mare did that two years ago. She had a 4 inch one sticking out of her back hoof. I pretty much freaked out, but she was smart and apparently the second she knew something was wrong she just stopped walking and stood there with her hoof propped up so the nail didn't get moved or shoved any farther in. We were able to pull it out and not have any lameness issues. I'm always getting on my other half for tearing apart wooden projects in the driveway and possibly leaving a nail somewhere. How old is your grand-daughter? I don't recall you mentioning her before, or I've just spaced out on it which is more likely.

Trailrider we missed seeing you Sunday. Hope your feeling better. Granddaughter said it was ok but she likes the places she can run a little more. Have company coming this weekend so no camping but I'm willing to get in a ride someplace. Maybe Sand Creek???

Well about time to go home. Later all.

Hi all, sorry I missed you on Sunday - a couple of us went to Greensfelder instead. Awesome day, weather, sun and a breeze. I am still trying to find out info on the trails that they told me about in Highland, but can't seem to get a straight answer. So if they are really there, I will let everyone know. I heard it was just a little muddy at Litchfield from some friends that rode there on Saturday - so it looks like you all had a great day! I head for Kansas City next weekend, wish it was to ride, but I am headed for my son's house and to go to the Irish Festival. Great bands and great food and beverages! Take care and have a great long holiday weekend!

We have all of our hay fields cut right now, so my schedule is dependant on getting all of it baled up, out of the field and put away. I cannot believe uncle cut all the fields at the same time. Normally we split them over a couple weeks. Hubby is off work today cause of getting the house re-appraised and then he's going to be raking the fields to start baling the fields that were cut Saturday. If nothing breaks down (knock on wood) we should have most of the weekend free. I'm going to try and get the younger two out on the trails this weekend, so probably just go to Wolf Creek to save on gas and make a couple trips with different horse combinations. I don't think we are looking to do any camping since hubby still has projects pending around home.

HL - how was Greensfelder? Were the trails down there somewhat muddy like they are up around here? I really liked the trails when we were there in May. Litchfield was a lot better than I was expecting. When I first unloaded I had some guy chatting with me the whole time I got Indigo ready. Never did get his name. That's the one thing about Litchfield I've noticed is that total strangers are super friendly. Of course, that's how I met your group cause Bob was visiting with me. :grin:

Sorry, bad English on my part...wife's horse stepped on nail. It's her new BS National Spotted Saddle Horse, she's TWH bred (at least her known bloodline), short and gaited.

Grand-daughter (Sabine) that we are starting to look at ponies for is almost 20 mos. She got her first ride at 3 mos. and is like her mom when it comes to horses. She can't come to our house without her mom giving her a ride on our Paint gelding (Rio was mom's show horse and barrel horse). Rio is just a little big for her to learn on though. New grand-daughter (Harlee) is 8 days. So we may need another pony in about a year and a half.

I was kinda wondering why you were looking for new pony if granddaughter already had one. Now I'm on the same page. I'm jealous granddaughter is getting her own pony at such a young age. I was 5 when my dad finally surrendered to the constant pleas. We have the one paint that pretty much every child that comes by our house always wants to ride. Of course, whenever I see that the camper neighbors are down with their boys I always make sure at least one day I'm working Rocket to where they can get in a ride around the yard. We've been using him to lead them around the past couple years. I've been working on my other half to sell him cause I really think with more miles he would be a good child's mount, I just prefer to ride my two horses instead of getting the miles in on this one.

BTW - congrats on your newest family member!! Got any pics?

Greensfelder was not bad at all. Some mud, but the weekend before this one, they had a cross country event for 3 days that really worked up the trails. But all in all, very few MUD spots! I think we also only had to fight 4 sections of trail that we had to go around due to the trails being under trees, heavy brush and kind of washed away. But I always look at it like hey, if I am on the trails on my horse, I could care less if I have to go around things. Well I have to get back to cleaning up after having to replace the water heater. Just started to leak this past week. I shouldn't complain this one has lasted us since 1991. I just keep thinking that everything we purchased way back then, will start going out one by one. Oh well - I guess I'll just have to get a second or third job!

HL - I totally hear ya on replacing things one by one. Everytime we start to get caught up seems something else wants to go out. Right now we're having tractor issues. There is a pin that sheared off and the replacement cannot be ordered. The repair shop had been working with hubby to get creative with fixing the one we have. Hubby got it together two nights ago and it worked for a little bit before it stopped turning the wheels again. Of course, we have hay in the fields, so had to borrow cousin's tractor to rake yesterday. We got about 7 acres baled up before it was too dark to see the wind rows. We were at around 150 bales when we called it quits. Still have 6 more fields laying, so planning on heading out there around noon today. Normally I get out of riding the rack wagon, but with everything we've got laying, I can't make hubby do it all. I don't know how people can do this regularly. Makes me thankful this is our last planned cutting for the year.

We decided that we needed to get her something to ride because her mom is tired of having to wear out her old barrel horse before Sabine can ride him with her or on a lead line. Our friend in Ohio has a daughter that is only 2 weeks older than Sabine (they look like twins) and she already has her own pony that she is riding on a lead line.

Sabine AKA Boogaloo:

DSCF0196.jpg

Harlee:

image002.jpg

Grandma AKA Colormeahorse and Harlee (she looks a lot like Grandma...same dimples):

image001.jpg

She's 37, she had Tracy at 17 and Tracy was 18 when she had Sabine. She looks young in pictures because you can't see all the gray hairs. [ROTFL] Actually up until a couple of years ago she was still getting carded when we would go out to eat and she'd order a drink. What makes me mad is they stopped carding me at about 28 ( I'm 38).

HI everyone, don't know if you guys have heard, but the good old Gov is closing down 11 state parks, and laying off employes from DNR, Wolf Creek is one of them, if you can get on Spfld jr paper, the rest of the list is on it. www.sj-r.com.

Starting Oct 1, until Dec 1 they will be closing them.

Sandy

You have got to be kidding! That's stupid! not just because of the trail, but for pete's sake, where are all the families that love doing that kind of thing going to go? Miles out of their way, spending money on gas they can ill afford? Not so much. If he thinks this is going to save money - he is in a pipe dream and needs to wake up! I guess I should get off my soapbox and get back to work. [bang Head]

HI everyone, don't know if you guys have heard, but the good old Gov is closing down 11 state parks, and laying off employes from DNR, Wolf Creek is one of them, if you can get on Spfld jr paper, the rest of the list is on it. www.sj-r.com.

Starting Oct 1, until Dec 1 they will be closing them.

Sandy

WOW this is just wrong in so many ways. A lot of these trails are actually taken care of by saddle clubs. Thanks for the info eqrdr.

Palimino - cute kiddos. Hope you find a good pony.

Courtney rode Sugar for me last Sunday after the trail ride. Went all over the pasture and even rode her bareback for a bit. Tried to work on emergency dismounts with her, but alas, just like Banjo she stopped when ever Courtney leaned forward. So Sugar is now the leadline, round pen pony for the kids. [Jump]

Wow, the closings are just unreal. We've already had 2 parks around Lake Shelbyville close to camping and now Wolf Creek. Next to Eagle Creek, it's generally the most popular place to camp. With all the changes to the lake recently, that cove is more popular to the boaters instead of Cove 5. We were just out there a few weeks ago and the electric sites were almost completely full. I know the governor is just trying to save some money, but why doesn't he give up his plane trips and living in Chicago vs Springfield to save some money too if he's that serious about cost savings. Unreal. I noticed most of the places being closed down have horse trails. I'd be willing to pay a fee for riding instead of just closing the whole thing down. Of course, I know that many times the park hosts don't collect the money from the campers, so that is an issue too. Definitely sucks

We are planning on trying to hit the trails probably Saturday or Sunday. Got most of our hay up out of the fields, but still have a little left to bale up. I'm so glad this is the last of it for the season.

Edited by eeyore4176

I came on to tell ya all about the state park closings..

This was on my local radio web site..

"State officials have ordered the closure of eleven state parks and fourteen historic sites because of budget cuts. Workers at the parks and historic sites are among 450 state workers who are being laid off because of major budget cuts. Other layoffs will affect the Departments of Children and Family Services, Human Services, Natural Resources and Historic Preservation."

I see ya all have already heard... of course, cause this one horse town is always the last to know anything going on. anyway.. I don't know "which" parks are being shut down. ...other than reading this, and seeing Wolfe Creek where ya all ride is one of them. Not sure about any of them down here :confused0024:

sorry, here is the rest of the list

castle rock, Oregon, Il,Lowden State Park, Oregon, Hennepin canal, sheffield, IL,Illini state prk, Marseills,channahon Parkway state park,gebhard woods, Morris, IL,kickapoo State Park, Oakwoods,

Moraine Voew State Park, Leroy, weldon springs, clinton, and wolf creek.

the reason he said not enough people are using these parks

sandy

I like his reasoning. Maybe if he visited the parks he would know which ones are and are not being used. Like I said, Wolf Creek is probably the 2nd most popular camping park on Lake Shelbyville. Opposum Creek is just south of me and seldomly ever is more than 1/2 full. They aren't open nearly as much of the season either. I'm going to send in a letter, not that it will do much good, but at least I will know I did my part to be a voice for this area. The other thing is, with the lake being flooded this year not nearly as many people have been out to camp in the mud holes. Hopefully it will be reconsidered in the future.

I just got an e-mail about a stolen horse earlier today. Incase any of you are going to sales or local shows anytime soon, just wanted to pass this along.

http://netposse.com/stolenmissing/MaxILstolenAug08.htm

We used to go to Weldon Springs and Morraine View all the time. Morraine View's campground is usually full in the summer and the lake gets used a lot including the beach. Eeyore I'll agree that Wolf Creek is probably used more than any of the other campgrounds (although it and Eagle Creek are the only State Parks if I remember corectly)...we used to go to Coon Creek more though. But why wouldn't you close Eagle instead of Wolf?

And people that live over here always ask me why we moved here!!!!

Edited by palomino_overo

I keep forgetting most of the rest of the campgrounds are Army Corp/Federal and not state ran. Eagle would be the very last one on the chopping block considering they have the golf course, resort, one of the most used boat ramps, etc. Plus the state just spent a couple million putting in new boat docks on the east side of the resort a couple years back. They don't have nearly the camping area Wolf does (I think they have just over 50 camp sites vs Wolf with almost 500). Wolf had a pretty good crowd over the holiday weekend. The govenor's decision was a topic of discussion pretty much every where we went. That and the new signs on the lake about wearing your life jacket and Cove 5 already having 3 deaths, not to be the 4th.

We didn't get in any riding other than around home. Spent most of our time on hay it seemed. On the plus side, we are finally DONE!!! We are full to the brim and even had to use part of our car port to store what our barn couldn't hold. Our camper neighbors were all down for the weekend. The one family has a daughter who has rode Hunter a couple years ago. It didn't even take her being down 2 hours before she was asking if I would let them ride. She had a friend with her though, and since friend's parents were not down I didn't get the horses out for them to ride. Didn't want the liability issue even though all the horses were pretty laid back this weekend.

I forgot about the golf course and resort. Notice how none of the parks were near Chicago? (Channahon is the closest that I see.) Most are in the East Central DNR Region...Wolf Creek, Morraine View, Weldon Springs, Kickapoo. I guess Oct. 1 to Dec. 1 isn't bad but why not close them say Jan. 1 to Mar. 1? Morraine View is usually used a lot for hunting (it's hard to get a permit.)

Pal - the closing of the parks isn't just for the fall/winter from what I understand. When they close this season they will not reopen again next year. Right now most of the parks all close for the winter as far as camping. Some are open for trails up to Oct 31. Wolf was open all of November except the weekends for shotgun hunting the deer. Then in the winter they have been open for snowmobiling if there is enough snow on the ground. Guess we'll have to wait and see if any of the petitions going around make any difference or if we will be traveling farther next season. Hopefully the lake doesn't get so high next year and we can ride around home more. Most of the better trails I like to ride around home are still at least 5-10 feet under water since I like riding along the lake. I even got a GPS earlier in the year so I didn't get lost trying to cut back through the woods to get home instead of back tracking this year. Still haven't been able to use it.

Everyone else been getting lots of rain? I don't think it has stopped yet today. Started sometime yesterday afternoon. It just goes from heavy to light and back to heavy. We needed some since the ground was getting pretty dusty. The horses were all in the round pen Tuesday night so we could detail clean the stalls and the piles up by the barn. The horseflies got bad for about 3-4 minutes and the horses all kicked up enough dust that it was cloudy up by the house.

Yeah.ALOT of rain here.But most of the time it has just been a mist.

I haven't had the time to ride these last few weeks for 2 reasons.Reason 1:I just started a full time job that actually pays for me to work instead of just $40 a week and reason 2:No horse to ride!...so I'm looking for a new horse to buy/lease.

So how is everyone?Today looks to be a great day to ride,so I hope that everyone can atleast go on a short ride today or tomorrow!

We are going to try to go to Panther Creek this tomorrow. We haven't had rain since Thursday night, so I am keeping my fingers crossed. None of us have ridden there before so it'll be an experience to say the least. Hope some of you get some riding in.

I went to IDNR web site and that was what I got ...maybe I misread.

It rained here all day Wednesday and Thursday was clear Friday and started raining agoin Saturday evening. Today it was nice and sunny until about 8:00 PM this evening and then we had a thunder shower.

We got more rain than we were supposed to over the weekend. Hubby said we would head up to Sand Creek on Sunday, but it was still raining in the morning, so we just stuck around home and cleaned up the yard some more. Finally got all the downed trees cut up and hauled out of the pasture. I noticed the horses are starting to get their winter fur coming in. Indigo is the most noticeable since his new fur is coming in all white so he looks steel grey right now.

Planning to camp at Wolf Creek this upcoming weekend. Our trail riding group has it on our schedule and this is the first weekend hubby hasn't had to work Saturday morning when we had a ride scheduled. Right now the weather looks to be about perfect for camping.

Well, didn't buy any ponies...The only really broke one for begginers no-saled at over $1000. Love the grandaughter but not that much. Did bid on a little black Tobi Shetland that was broke but even she sold over my limit and she wasn't quite big enough for one of us to get on and corect if need be.

BUT did buy a 5 mos. old weanling stud colt. He's an APHA blue roan overo.

0907081124b.jpg

Couldn't pass him up for $80. His QH brothers and sisters were selling for $250- $500. He does have Impressive in him and I think that kind of hurt him (I'm not a big Impressive fan either).

Just have to keep looking for that perfect pony/small horse for your granddaughter. I haven't been to the sales for a few months to even see what they are bringing these days. Looks like you got a good buy though. Spirit has Impressive and some days I wonder if it's her being a mare or if it's the Impressive in her. She's been a gem to work with lately and once she really gets it, you no longer have a fight. It's the progression to that point that has made me want to sell her a few times. I'm pretty sure I've talked hubby into selling Rocket in the spring. I want to look for something gaited if he's going to be riding Spirit like he says he will be. Or get him something taller. The kids will be disappointed. The camper neighbors say that's all Drew talks about when they are coming down camping. Cousin's 6 yr old asked me last weekend if we had Rocket back yet from the trainer and if he could come out and ride. I think it's mostly his color (paint) the kids like, but his attitude doesn't hurt either. With the right work he'd be a great 4-H horse or kids mount. I don't have kids though, so it's kinda pointless for us to have one around for other people's kids to ride occasionally.

Just got a call from our trail rider's group secretary, camping trip for this weekend is cancelled due to the weather forecast. They are rescheduling for a ridecamping trip at Moraine View on the 27th instead. We'll still play it by ear and possibly head over if we don't get as bad of storms as are being predicted. One camping trip in the storms this year is enough for me. I'm pretty sure Double can speak for the same. I didn't sleep well at all the last night we were at Greensfelder with all the rain & wind.

In case you hadn't heard there is going to be some sort of rally on 9/20 at 10:00 at Dawson. Not sure what the plan is with this but I know I'll be there.

Apparently Rep. Keith Sommer plans to attend. I believe that Scott Richardson who I think writes the outdoors articles for the Pantagraph is organizing this rally and is really wanting to have a large turn out. There was a rally at Kickapoo last weekend and they have around 300 people - it would great if more could come out to Dawson.

Spread the word