eeyore4176

Central Il Trail Riders Chat

My PJ who is the State Sen. and State Reps. from Mclean County now? Go talk to them. You usually have to make an appt. for when they are in town. Talk to them and see how they are voting, and express your concerns. Sometimes you may just have to leave a message with their secretaries but most are pretty good about getting back to you. Sen. Maitland actually called me one time when I did this and said that he had the same concerns that I did about a bill.

Actually this is a good idea for anyone who knows their state reps. and senators very well.

Growing up just outside of Decatur and living in Bloomington for years I used Morraine View (Dawson Lake) and Weldon Springs a lot (BIG hybrid bluegills and slab crappie :happy0203: ). I've fished both of them and trail ridden at Morraine View (they just improved the horse camping area about 5 yrs ago). I don't think I've ever been to Lincoln Trail Homestead and I've only been to Spitler Woods a couple of times, but they are keeping them open? :confused0024:

What really needs to happen is get the Horseman's Council, and some of the hunting groups like Pheasants Forever and other outdoor groups to get together and lobby the state. That's what you get when you elect a big city Democrat as governor. He's probably never seen a horse except at Arlington, never held a fishing pole or shotgun, and never been to a campground.

There was an article, or maybe it was on the radio/tv, somewhere since this has happened that stated that the gov had never been to any of the state parks on the chopping block. Hadn't ever visited many of the historical sites either. I've actually seen a couple different things on the web that have Rice Lake Conservation area in Canton listed instead of Wolf Creek? Wednesday we were told by someone else that Wolf Creek wasn't closing. I'm not sure where to go to get the true listing? I just don't trust what I read/hear when there is conflicting data. Regardless, we are going with the belief that Wolf is still on the chopping block. I was really wanting to ride over there this weekend, but with all the rain we've already got and is predicted, it's no longer on our agenda. Going to head to an estate auction Saturday instead. We've seen some of the horse stuff when we were considering buying the place. Figure we'll see if we can get any good deals since the weather is supposed to be pretty crummy.

OMG I can't believe I finally got here, been trying since all this changed over to beable to post. Anyways I'm here.

Eeyore I signed something DeLucky sent about the closing of the parks. Hope it helps.

Where's Double been? Haven't seen her post lately.

Debbie - I made it :grin:

TR - So nice to have you back!!!

Not sure where Double has disappeared to lately? I haven't heard from her in quite some time. Hopefully she checks in sometime soon before we have to send out a search party. I don't think her husband has had surgery yet. Double . . . . where are you???

Went to the estate auction Saturday. They had A LOT of stuff. House/barn/property sold for $260K. It would have been nice to have that indoor riding arena and the pasture land, but the house was in pretty sad shape. We spent some money and came back with a couple more panels for our round pen, another saddle I really didn't need, some NASCAR posters for a cousin and a fan. The saddle has some silver on it, so if I ever get the desire to do some local shows with Spirit I will at least have a saddle to do it with. The weather was nicer than expected Saturday. All the bad weather went north of us. Sunday was another story. The ponds out front are still very flooded and we have a lot of limbs to pick up sometime in the near future.

Hey - Nice to be back. Debbie has been very busy getting ready to move. She bought an old farmhouse with several outbuildings, 2 pastures, barn, etc. Really nice. Her and I went to the auction yesterday in Carrollton. Not many horses but one yearling only went for 5.00. It was thin but not to awfully thin. Gorgeous dun gelding that would knock your eyes out. Built like a brick you know what and broke for the trails, only went for I believe 600.00, but WAY to tall for me, 16+ hands. Got a few things of tack and came home. Got 5" rain Sun, and 4" Fri so were pretty flooded around here. Well hope double makes it back.

Sorry I missed the ride with you's that Sun, horible sinus infection put me in bed most of day.

Edited by Trail-Rider

TR - we missed you on our ride. We finally were able to arrange a ride at Litchfield and your darn sinuses prevented you from coming out to play. Hopefully we can get in another ride before it gets too cold. I'm hoping the ground dries up enough this week to get in some riding at Wolf Creek this weekend. If HL and her friends are able to come up, I'm going to try my darndest to get hubby to agree to camping Saturday night.

The new saddle I bought last weekend doesn't fit any of the horses. Too tight in the shoulders. I'm bummed. Guess it just means I'll have to attend another auction soon to sell it and look for another replacement. LOL. I'm going try to hold off on auctions until the weather turns cold again. Right now is the time of year I love riding.

Debbie - you'll have to share pics of your new place. Sounds awesome!!

Looks like we'll be heading to Wolf Creek this weekend. HL and a group of her friends are supposed to be coming up to camp. I've got hubby talked into camping Saturday night. He has to work until noon on Saturday or we would be heading over there tonight. Even for one night, I'm EXCITED!!! Haven't got to ride with that group since last year's adventures at Litchfield and Wolf Creek in the same weekend.

Anyone heard from Double yet? She's been MIA for a while now. DeLucky, did you track her down to send the halter/bridle?

Well, we had a great weekend. Was worried Saturday morning cause it was pouring around 9:30 - 10:00 am, but it stopped in time to head over to Wolf and meet up with HL and friends. Got to camp just before noon. Hubby got in a little after 1. I already had most of camp setup including the truck tent I didn't think was possible for just me to do. We let the horses run to go meet up with everyone at the lookout point then rode with the group for the rest of the ride. Got to the one spot in the trail where the lake is still over the road. It had dropped more since the last time I was out there, but still wasn't sure how deep it was. Gotta love Nick as he decided to be the guinne pig and attempt crossing to get to the other side. He got through and the rest of us followed, but we all made sure they were on land before any of us got in the water. LOL. Got back to camp, cooked out and sat around the campfire.

I woke up around 3 am because Hunter wouldn't quit calling out, so I finally got up to go see what had him worked up only to find Indigo wasn't there. Needless to say I pretty much freaked out. Apparently Indigo had decided he wanted to go visit Silver (horseluvrinIL's horse) one hitching post down. Turned the car lights on and found him just hanging around. Made sure to fill the hay bags up again to keep them occupied where they were supposed to be and went back to bed.

Went out again for a few more hours yesterday. Indigo & I led pretty much the whole way. Found some of the side trails were dried up enough to use them. Hubby said he didn't recall being on quite a few of them. We've been going out one direction for so long that we started missing some of the side trails if you come from the other direction. Got back to camp after about 4 hours and everyone loaded up to head home. I was drained. Got to the house, unloaded the horses and food then went into the living room and laid down to watch some tv and relax. Ended up going to bed around 8.

We had a great time with that group. I took pics, just haven't had a chance to download them off the camera yet. Will try and get them posted tomorrow

I'm Back :happy0203: Been crazy around home. Still planning on hubby's surgery for the 13th and just found out they haven't goten insurance approval yet. [bang Head] Youngest son from Florida moved back this way looking for a job two weeks ago so getting him settled and things done around the house have kept us busy. I had to go back to work to rest up. We are dog sitting his 8 month old lab mix that sees the vet on Friday to get fixed. No puppies needed thank you!

Weather has been pretty decent and have managed at least one day of riding each weekend. Grandson is also playing freshman football and homecoming was 2 weeks ago so its crazy. Then made a trip to Decatur and had new tires put on the truck. Empty pockets now and tax bill just arrived [Me Cry] Isn't it nice to be a homeowner.... Farrier got married, but is staying close, thank goodness.

Did talk to DeLucky and got the trail bridle for banjo. Thanks again Deb. Didn't expect reins too. Just need to sit down and change out the bit now.

Ramsey was pretty decent Sunday. Had a light rain going on but the trails weren't to bad. They have been working on them some and I think must be doing more maintance with a four wheeler as the trailes seemed wider. Weather permitting I would love to get out and ride this coming weekend with some of you as not sure what October will bring.

Well gotta run. End of the year at work. [smiley Wavey]

Double - good to hear from you. Sounds like you have been keeping busy busy. We aren't heading to Moraine View this weekend. I didn't feel like getting everything packed up again. Although, it would have been even more encouragement to my other half to get the gooseneck we keep talking about. Packing and unpacking wears ya out. Would be nice to be able to leave most of it in the trailer.

I have a cousin getting married this weekend back in Iowa. Apparently my dad is flying up for the two days. My stepmom was just up a couple weeks ago, so I thought since she dropped off the gift they weren't coming up. I might head out there on Saturday. Probably just send a card with the money I would have spent on gas to get out there and back though.

Well it should be a nice weekend to ride. Have a fun day Saturday in town that I have to help with a booth until noon. But planning on heading to Wolf Crrek from home around 10 on SUnday. Hoping to ride up there from about 11 to 2 or 3. Anybody get the chance come on up. Eeyore I will give you a call before I get to the park in case your around. Probably bring Flash.

Double - sorry I missed you. I was out catching up on errands when you called and didn't get home until around 1. B started working on the house, so spent the rest of the day helping with that. Figured by the time I got the trailer hooked up, ready to go and grabbed a horse it would be at least 2 or 3 before I got to Wolf. Have to try for another weekend.

We switched out horses this weekend... we got our weanling filly here this weekend, along with Colomeahorse's new little gelding, and a yearling filly QP for one of her employees. Our friend took her horses home with her as well as a couple of horses of ours that we our selling.

My step-daughter and grandaughter did get a ride in while we were waiting for our friend to show up with the horses...(sorry, sun was in bad position for really good pics)

SUNP0023.jpg

SUNP0025.jpg

SUNP0026-1.jpg

We got to laughing because they were trotting and she was squealing and laughing the whole time. (Rio wasn't real sure what was up with all the noise coming from his back though)

Tinker Tot...

SUNP0028.jpg

We haven't got any decent pics of the new little gelding. He is a gray QH/QP.

We had a wonderful ride Sunday at Pere Marquette. Little warm out of the timber but couldn't of asked for a better ride. Horses really enjoyed themselves to. Had a nice potluck afterwards with lots of good food. Sunday is a scheduled ride with our club and it's nice there to. Hope everyone get's to start riding. We had quite a bit of rain yesterday but I don't think there's anymore predicted this week - but everyone knows Illinois weather [ROTFL]

Pal - cute pics even with bad sunlighting. Is the gray gelding the one you bought at the recent auction that has Impressive bloodlines? I bet Rio really was wondering "what the heck??" with a kid laughing/squealing up there. It's good to have a horse that doesn't mind. That's one of the things we really like about Rocket, he's so laid back. Kinda sad when our youngest horse is the best one to use for giving kids a ride around the yard. If you try to put a kid up on Indigo he gets really tensed up and more flighty than usual. Hunters ok with it as long as you ride him before. Spirit the kids are kinda scared of since she's so much bigger than the boys.

I worked with Spirit last night. Either I have gotten shorter or she has gotten taller. I could barely reach the stirrup with putting her in a low spot. I even worked on getting her to park out a little and it was still high. She was being super grouchy, which just meant we worked longer until she gave in and did what I asked. She never offered to buck, but she laid her ears back a few times letting me know she wasn't happy. I almost had to turn on the lights on the round pen. This getting dark earlier sucks. Hoping to get home early enough to get in some riding time on Indigo or Rocket tonight. The weather is perfect right now.

Hubby is planning on heading to Peoria Sunday to switch out some signs, so I'll probably be heading out somewhere to ride. Where is everyone riding this weekend?

No the gray came from IL, he's a 2 y.o. and won some money at the Quad Cities Futurity. His dam and the little filly's dam are by the same stallion that our friend owns. His sire is a 99% foundation horse (he's a gelding now) that our friend used to own.

The auction horse is just a weanling, is almost as tall as the ponies, and a blue roan Paint.

0907081146a.jpg

Rio had his ears backwards almost the entire time. He had a really confused look on his face.

Edited by palomino_overo

Anyone planning to ride this weekend? Calling for a chance of rain Saturday evening.

I rode Rocket for a little over an hour last night. When I first got on he tripped over himself twice in about 10 steps. I think he was just being lazy cause he didn't do it again the rest of the time we rode. Worked a lot on our steering. He still wants to occasionally back up instead of turning. He started out super rough at the trot, seriously about to bounce me out of the seat. He's good for me getting a workout in about half the time as the other smoother riding horses. LOL. We worked on his speed and extension though and I about have it figured out where he needs to be for it to be tolerable to ride the trot. His canter is much more coordinated now too. I think it's finally starting to click with him.

Eeyore..

I know you already read my other post about us hauling down to Wranglers and there was nosites available. Well we came back to the Shawnee Forest and camped and rode at Double M. Our friends came up and rode with us. They are actually from Missouri but own the Lazy Ridge Country Store near Benton, KY. Anyway, they used to have horses, but sold them when they bought this store in KY. It had been almost 20 years since they'd ridden.

So.. you're gonna venture down to the Shawnee.. You'll LOVE it. You'll want to stay!

Bay Creek area has some pretty riding! One of my favorite spots in the Shawnee Forest.

Edited by trailhoss2

The weather this weekend looks like it is going to be perfect for riding and camping. Been raining up here most of the day. Hope it's all out of the system by Friday. I've been wanting to head down there since we got back into horses 4 years ago, but time just hasn't ever permitted. Everyone says I won't want to come back home. I've been playing around home with my camera and think I've got some of the issues worked out. I'm still going to ask for a newer/nicer camera for x-mas though. Might even take the GPS unit I just "had to have" that hasn't been used other than playing around home.

Hi Eeyore... I know you're going to have fun this weekend at Bay Creek. My plans changed. I'm not camping this weekend because Hubby has to work Sat. & Sun. My daughter's have other plans/ and working too so I'd be going by myself. Our friends have had things to come up to... one of them's mother is in the hospital, a couple of them has to work and so forth. So we're just gonna be doing some riding around home. We're all getting together for a weiner roast tomorrow night.

Had a great time. Campground was full. We had 11 people with our group. I took some pics and will post about it all as soon as I get some free time. Already went ahead and made reservations for next year. Apparently it's a tradition with this group to go there on Columbus Day weekend.

Popping in to say Howdy. Hubby had his surgery and is in recovery. Computer at work died two weeks ago and life has been (*$*^$. Did get a few nice rides in the last two weeks. Sorry I miised Eeyore at Wolf creek 3 weeks ago. Granddaughter and I took Sugar and Banjo to Forbes weekend before last and had a great ride. The trails were in great shape. Rode the whole 17 ???? miles. Sugar was beat but never missed a lick. Think the rides this summer have really matured and rounded her out. Then took Flash for a ride around home yesterday. He was full of it. Made me remember why he is not a kids horse. Hopefully things will go smooth and I can still get a frew more rides in. Still hoping to do Litchfield and Sand Creek again this fall. Eyeore have you heard anything on Wolf closing Nov 1???

Well gotta go. Headed upstairs to a room.

I've heard both that the park was still closing, just a couple weeks later and that it was staying open for another year. We brought back quite a few signed petitions that Bob got for us on all his trail rides and travels since we were at Wolf Creek last month. I think there was space for 20 or so names per sheet and there were 10-15 sheets in the stack. Even had people from other states on the list.

That sucks about your computer. Was wondering what happened to you. Hope your hubby heals up correctly this time round.

Wow, it's been over a week with no new posts. Thought I better bring this back up so it doesn't get lost. Not sure what everyone has going on this weekend. We were told there is a ranch rodeo in Cowden on Saturday. It is supposed to start at 4 if the weather doesn't cancel it. Gerald said to bring my horses down and participate, but I think we will just head down there to see what it's like first. Never been before, but sounds like fun.

Double - how is your husband doing with his recovery?

Hey everyone!I've just been really busy with my new job and fun stuff that I haven't had much time.But now I have returned...with a really funny story that happened to me last week.

Well,we forgot the pony girth for the little mule,and i thought the english saddle would work on him.So we saddled him up and it seemed to be a great fit on him.So i mounted up no problem and went for a ride with everyone.We just made a new trail and we had to TRY to cross a tiny wooden bridge,only 1 horse would do it.The rest jumped the ravine that it was over...everyone else got a saddlehorn to the gut except me.Then we had to go down a tiny ravine to get into the water.I should have used a crouper for him...he has NOO withers!The saddle slipped forward onto his neck and knew that I wasn't going to get the saddle straightened out,so I bailed out.I rolled down the ravine and hit about 3 trees and rolled right into the river.Oh...did i mention it was only 50 degrees out!So I saddled him back up and finished the ride...freezing cold...but it was kinda funny.The entire time Red was just standing there looking at me...and he brayed a few times which sounded oddly like laughter.I'm the ONLY person in all of history to fall off of this mule 3 diffrent times.All involving water...

Oh!I'm taking lessons now,and I might be getting 2 horses...ugh...a 20yr TB and a 18yr Paso Fino mare...ohhhh...i love the Paso gait...she's a little chunker right now,they haven't left the pasture in about 4 years.-gulp-Wish me luck on getting them!

Hello everyone. Just thought I would check in. I have been running in circles here lately it seems. I bought a house the first of the month and I have been busy with it. Have some guys doing some cosmetic work on it and have to do some things outside to the barn and pens to get them ready for my critters. I was on vacation all last week and had something to do everyday.

I did get some riding in. We had our last show last Saturday....it was a Halloween show. Then Sunday Trail and I and some friends went to Sancrist and rode. It was the first time I had been there.....I really liked the trails. Then tonight, Trail and I are riding in the Carlinville Halloween parade. Probably gonna freeze.

I will try and post some pics of the new place first chance I get. It has a two story farm house, 2 barns, a machine shed, another building that is 40 x 100 that is gonna be my indoor riding arena and a good size milk house. Also a 2 car garage and a big chicken coop. I cannot wait to get in.

Well gotta run. Gotta get Cher and get her ready to go to the parade. Take care and I will catch ya later.

Anyone else take advantage of the gorgeous weather on Saturday? I got my boyfriend on a horse for the first time and we went on a nice trail ride around my house. Both of my horses were awesome. My Appy is used to me riding him so I was super proud of him for being an angel and my Arab can be a little spooky but he proudly lead our little group of my boyfriend and I, the two horses, and my two dogs. Everytime I looked back at my Appy, he looked at me and seemed to say "Look at how good I'm being Mom!!!" It was so cute. Sorry to brag a bit, I'm just so excited about it.

Not much new here. Just working with the 2 babies as much as possible. Got Tinker Tot registered (did it online) and sent in Max's papers (have to do it by snail-mail because we bought him).

Other than that have just been working on catching, haltering, and leading.