eeyore4176

Central Il Trail Riders Chat

I dont even have a trailer yet. :/ for now im just focusing on getting everyone broke to where i want them.

Had to put barbed wire around the pen. Thwy keep getting out still. Yesterday the neighbor called the cops THEN chased my horses out onto the road,where they just about got hit. I was PISSED. So that night we put up the barbed wire. And just to show how much i LOVE my neighbor,i spread the horse poo across his driveway. Which is on our property. He doesnt pay easement or nothin.

I hated putting the wire up,but its the only solution. Boards wont stay on. (Tposts and trees) and i already havs 3 hot strands with a strong charger.

Sakura, are you sure your charger is working? Our horse's don't get out when the fence is hot. We don't leave it on all the time, so sometimes you might see one testing it. The switch to turn the dry lot fence on is inside our barn, so they can't see me go in and flip the switch. I am kinda evil in that I like to see them go and lip at the fence shortly after I catch them playing with it. All it takes is one to get shocked and they all will avoid the fence for a good week or better. One of our friends has a mule that will simply jump the fence if he wants out where he's kept. Happens a few times a week. That mule was at our house for a week and not once got out. Of course, the week he was with us his owner was riding him 6-8 hours a day every day so he was probably exhausted from all the hill climbing?

Heading to STL for the weekend to go visit with a friend I haven't seen since the spring. Shopping, lunch at Olive Garden and taking in a movie, which is our annual tradition. I'm not much of a shopper, but with it being shot gun season again, figure might as well do something productive instead of being grouchy that there is good weather again and can't ride for fear of a shotgun. lol

Yep. I know its working. I thought it wasnt so i touched it. Yeah,it was working! So far they havent gotten out. Shes the only mule i know who gets out,my friends' mules dont even test the fences.

Have fun this weekend shopping! :) atleast its not as busy as black friday weekend.

There is a christmas parade saturday at 4pm in taylorville. Horses are allowed. I would love to ride in it!...but im so sick. Tooth infection,sinis infection,an ear infection,and bronchitus. So im letting my friend ride Sugar in the parade. She knows how to ride so im not worried.

Wow, been forever since any of us have checked in on here!! Had a fun time shopping. Got gifts for the family, got to spend quality time with my friend I only get to see a couple times a year and ate a lot of good food!! Managed to get in some more riding on Jewels around home. She's pretty fun to ride and definitely willing to try.

Planning to head for a practice team sorting tomorrow evening with Jewels and Spirit if my husband isn't still feeling under the weather. Have a few friends that were planning to go and mentioned it to us, so figured might as well give it a go and have something to do. Been told it's pretty laid back, so just hopign to go and have fun.

Eeyore - where are you going to try team sorting? Sounds like Jewels is settling in fine.

Have all the holiday shopping done. Going to dinner with friends tonight. Baking cookies tomorrow. Been a busy Holiday season so far.

youngest has moved back home :blink: Not sure if its a good thing or a bad thing. He has a pit bull and shes pretty good. Her and Creed keep each other wore out playing outside so that is a good thing. She is not real social but has come a long way, and she is crate trained which is a plus. But know I have two large dog crates in the family room :surrender:

Hope everyone has a Wonderful Christmas.

Double - we went to Coyote Creek for the team sorting. Jewels did great. Almost like she's a seasoned horse instead of such a young one. She went in and sorted the cows laying her ears back and nudging with her nose if they didn't move right away. When we weren't in the pen working with the cows, she just dropped her head and stood there waiting for her next turn. Spirit was the opposite. She was pawing and wouldn't stand still at all and kept calling to Jewels if B tried to take her away. Then in the pen she had zero interest in leaving Jewels' side. Kinda sad the 3 year old was basically training the 8 year old. LOL

HAHA! Spirit sounds about like Flash, impatient for his turn and at the one big show that I took the grandaughter and Banjo he hated Banjo being out of site. Glad Jewels did so well. Sounds like she really will be a Jewel to have around. :smilie:

Had a good weekend and took advantage of the weather for a short ride. Saw lots of fresh deer tracks.

eeyore I enjoy reading your updates about Jewel. She sounds fantastic! I got my horses shod 5 weeks ago and haven't been riding, not even once! They are scheduled for another re-shoe the day after Christmas...not sure I'm gonna shoe them (will get trims) depends on the weather. Anyone else go barefoot when not riding? I also bought some new tack, bridle and chest strap and haven't gotten to try them out yet! Da-um..

Hubby and I have been busy cutting wood on weekends for my parents, dad is in/out of hospital a lot and is no longer about to cut wood for their wood stove. A few weeks ago they put a defibulator in, now he has to have one of his big toes removes, gout has eaten away the bone. If he continues to eat crap he will most likely lose the other toe, its already infected.

I hate to post about this, but I accidently ran over Miss Kitty, one of our cats that has been with us for 10-12 yrs. The dogs and cats are so bad about running to the truck when I get home from work (yea mommies home, time to eat) it's now dark when I get home and I simply didn't see her (and I always look) I saw was one of the dogs, she must have been beside the dog and jumped in front of the dog. I am just sick about this. She was such a happy kitty. She was a drop off we brought to the house. Someone dropped her off at one of our barns.

My sister from TX is flying in Saturday, so my other sister that lives close by and I are drivng to Nashville to pick her up. We will stay the night in Nashville and see the Rockettes and have fun girls night out! She will stay at my house next week, her daugther and her family are driving up from TX to Indianna (his family) and will stop by the house. I wish my sisters liked to ride, I'd at least get some riding! We all rode when we were kids, but now it's just my brother and I still riding. If I don't get back on here, before all the holidays, I hope every one has a great Christmas!

Connie - sorry to hear about your kitty. I'm always worried one of our chocolate labs won't get out of the way (I have hit the female with both the car and the tractor in the past 8 years) since they blend in this time of year with the darkness. Rue is kept in her kennel or we lock the shed doggie door and leave her in there if it's too cold.

We didn't put shoes on any of our horses this year. The previous two years only we shod Hunter & Indigo from June - November, but this year we opted to stay barefoot. Jewels had fronts on when we bought her and we pulled them the next day after she came home with us. Had her trimmed on November 10th and again on December 13th and still have a few more trims before she's where she should be, just doing it gradual. She's a little more tender on the rocks, but fine riding anywhere else, so I just let her take her time walking on rock when we don't have an alternative. Will most likely put shoes back on her fronts in the spring

So sorry to hear about Miss Kitty.

Haven't rode lately,i've still been so sick. And now my son has RSV. But we did make it to Arthur this past time and I did something I shouldn't have. I bought a new horse with my friend! We both went in on him and such. He is a 4yr Morgan gelding that has my moms mares on his papers. Pitch black. My friend says that he rides like a peice of crap,so i'm guessing before too long I'll buy out her share and he will be fully mine. We bought him to be her carriage horse for her business (Mahnke Carriage Rides on fb). He is going to be their wedding horse and her pony and standardbred are their everyday carriage ride horses/ponies.

Sakura - Hope you get well soon. RSV is a pain, something I never dealt with for my kids but seems the grandkids have all had it. Good luck with the new horse.

Connie - I only show Flash and occasionally Banjo on the front if I know we are going someplace real rocky. I have always pulled their shoes in the winter when I wasn't doing much riding.

Sorry about your kitty.

Hope everyone has a very Merry Christmas. Hoping the wind calms down so I can get in a Christmas ride of some sort.

No more fits from Sugar that I know of. Thinking I am going to restart her under saddle slowly with a tie down and keep making her pony out when I ride Flash. Wondering if it could have been a fluke/temper fit. :confused0024:

Good to hear that Sugar seems to be doing better health wise again. With Flash doing better too, hopefully come spring you will have two to keep in shape and we will be able to get out and ride together again.

Was really wanting to try and ride the horses into town and through the lightworks in Shelbyville, but the nice nights I couldn't get anyone to go with me and now the weather had turned crummy. Plus we were supposed to go back to Iowa this weekend but with their recent storm, we decided to postpone our trip back. My grandma said her lane has been cleaned twice already and just drifts back shut.

Well it happened. My friend got tired of her 'peice of crap riding horse' and sold him to me. :) He comes 'home' this week sometime.

We were going to come down to see the lights in Shelbyville,but I didn't make it. My friends said they were good this year,they gave rides through them a few times.

Sakura. That is you that has your donk up for sale on cl. Oh my me and my friend were talking this morning about her and how I want her soooo bad but I already have 1 to many that hardly gets ridden. Why u selling her? Hey everyone

Double. Sounds like flash is getting better?

Eeyore. That is so cool jewels is loving her job

Howdy Trail-Rider, Long time no see. Hope you have a great New Year. Maybe one of these days we can get everything set to all ride again. So does hubby still have Cash?

hey double - yea long time, you know we gotta quit saying this and just do it haha, yea he still has Cash, so is Flash gonna be back 100% on the trails for you? hope so.hope you's have a great new years also

I think by the spring riding time Flash may be ready for some easy trails. Will probably haul to Ramsey or Sand Creek for our first time or two so we can cut the ride short if need be. He has been doing great at home.

Yep,that would be my Casper and Sophie that are for sale. The reason is i really need to downsize,things hit the fan at work and where i live. So im moving to Pana next to my bestfriend. The power plant i work at is being sold,so its unknown if they will keep our contracts. I had my mule up for sale,but i know id defeneitly regret it...so i took it down.

I do think i will lease my mule out to a trail rider this year. I have a friend on fb who is wanting to lease her. She also said whenever she hauls to litchfield,ramsey,or anywgere she will come pick me up. They are going to Big Piney this year. I told her i will go. Im so excited! Im going to get my Morgan rwady for it by riding the places around here. I figured i will lease Miss Sug while i focus on Raven,the Morgan.

You know you want Casper,hes a good boy and has a few rides on him ;)

Is ramsey open year round? Or when does it open? She wants to try Miss Sug out on some trails in feb/march.

Is ramsey open year round? Or when does it open? She wants to try Miss Sug out on some trails in feb/march.

I think Ramsey is only open from mid April to October normally. Sand Creek and Litchfield are open year round, other than weather closures. Not sure about any other trails in the area that stay open though.

My other half went out and bought a newer Polaris Ranger this weekend, so now we have a side by side that doesn't need work for a change. Has complete enclosure, sound system, snow plow, etc. Have the feeling we will be using it down on the river next year a lot. Just waiting on parts for our other one to put it back together and get it listed for sale.

Ok. Thankyou! I wasnt sure.

Sounds like a fancy-schmancy one! It sounds like a really nice,multi purpose vehicle.

Hope everyone had a great Christmas and New Year. I had family (sister) in from Texas for about a week. I sure missed her when she left. Her daughter and family stopped by on their way back from Indiana (they live in Texas too)

Gotta go back to work tomorrow....I dread it

Weather is crappy, I haven't spent much time with the horses. Just run to the barn, feed,water, look 'em over real quick and head back to the house. I'm a winter weinny!

Sakura I hope you're feeling better!

eeyore, congrats on "hubbys" new toy! Saw your pics on FB, looks like ya'll had a blast

The kids had a ball playing around sledding and snowboarding behind it the past two days. I am too old to want to get beat up doing it, so I had the camera rolling instead. Debated on trying Jewels out pulling a snowboarder or the sled, but since we haven't tried her dragging anything yet decided not to let the 11 year old be my guinea pig.

It wasn't too bad playing yesterday in the daytime but by the last few runs the temps had dropped and my hand hurt to be out of the glove for the 30 seconds it took to push the play button.

Ive rode Raven a few times. He needs so much work,but im up to the challange! He is a big dog on the ground,but in the saddle he is very insecure. He spooked at a brush pile and ducked and spun so fast i lost a stirrup. Barrel horse? ;) so alot of rides for him this winter!

Sophie,the Arabian ive been trying to give away,finally found a home. Thanks to my good friend Rachael who posted it everywhere on facebook! She leaves friday. Im sad,but she needs her own person to spend time with her.

Had an experiance in Effingham. My friend and i went to pick up her new pony. She had someone else trailer her. Well,we thought the trailer took a 2" ball. No. It took 2 5/16". We found this out as the guy went over the railroad tracks. The trailer bounced up and slammed into his bumper,then got stuck between the bumper and the reese hitch,bending it pretty good. Luckily he didnt slam on the brakes,but slowed down and drug the trailer to a stop. Poor pony was probably scared! They had to lift the trailer up so i could get the jack up. Thankgod for trailer chains! Then north of cowden i get pulled over by a state cop. No ticket,just a warning. Phew!

Oh my, Sakura, what a day you had! Glad everyone is ok. Not much going on here. Re-scheduled getting the horses re-shod, weather was too nasty after Christmas. I took them to the farrier this past Saturday, I was so excited cuz the temps were gonna be going up all week, but now were are expecting lots of rain for the next few days....da-um. I'm gonna be pissed if I've spent yet another $100 and don't get to ride....

Hope everyone is having a great week

Yep. Now thw poor wittle pony is getting a taste of what work is like. We hook her up to the csrt tomorrow!

Yeah,the rain is no fun. I was supposed to ride Blaze for my good friend. But that didnt happen. Instead i surprised my bestfriend with a new custom made rope halter,new bit,and new bridle. The after for supper we went down to Shelbyville to Rays to fix tacos and drank some moonshine and apple pie. He tried again to get me to buy his paint horse,Michael! Nope,im past my limit!

That is scary about the trailer incident. Lucky no one was hurt.

Got plenty of rain yesterday, but still hoping to maybe go out for a night ride around home tonight or day ride tomorrow, or if I'm lucky both. LOL. Park just down the road is closed for winter, so we can road ride over there and be pretty safe. Still waiting on Indigo's leg to completely heal. No swelling or heat and he's not lame, just still has the scab we are working on. Been putting Vetericyn on it. Love that stuff!! In the meantime, Jewels just gets that much more riding time.

Hope everyone has a great weekend, I'm gonna try to get a ride in somehow if it isn't raining. Its very muddy right now but I can find some gravel roads around here

Ive gotbto ride Raven when i get back from Bloomington later this morning. He needs alot more riding time to be ready for Big Piney this summer.

Got Cas moved to the Sale Barn. Not the auction house,just an old sale barn my friend and i rent. :) he is not happy about it.

My son got his first real ride,and it was on Cas! We had to walk a few blocks up and he got heavy,so we sat him on Cas and kead him. At firat he was screami g and crying,bit at the end he kind of enjoyed it. Cas didnt mind. Good donkey!

Sounds like everyone is ready to keep riding. Farrier was out and trimmed everyone Sat morning. Got the dog beds and dogs all bathed, bought groceries and thought I would ride Sat afternoon but he rain started early and just kept coming all night. Need to call and schedule farm call. Planning on getting Flash ready to hit the trails at Ramsey and Sand creek when the weather gets nice. Need to decide if I am going to pull liver function tests or just skip them. No change in behavior and his number didn't change much last year so not sure its worth the expense. We need to set a date now to all get together and ride. Ramsey won't open until the 1st of April, I think Sand Creek is still open weather permitting.