eeyore4176

Central Il Trail Riders Chat

Hopefully the banamine helps. I've heard of wind puffs, but never actually known a horse that had them. Hope you are still able to go camping!!

Thinking about meeting some friends to ride at Litchfield on Sunday. They said they are planning on it and my husband is working for his company picnic, so I may trailer over that way. Taking off next Thursday & Friday to use up vacation time. Not sure what I'll end up doing? lol

I did get to go camping, rode one day Saturday, it rained Sunday and Monday....oh well, Saturday was a beautiful day and I rode with someone that knows the trails (old and new) so I got to ride in some areas I hadn't ridden before.

Lucas is doing much better. I was getting ready to call the farrier again, he got even more fluid build up but the next day it was gone and he's walking normal now. There is still one small pocket of fluid abour the size of a nickel, so hopefully he's on the mend.

Looks like rain for several days around here, so I doubt I'll get much riding done.

glad to hear Lucas is improving., Been a wet day. Hoping to ride at Sand Creek tomorrow. The new horse, Junior, is working out well. Debating on leting Banjo go to another little boy for a trail horse. Banjo just seems lost without Flash around. Thinking it might do him good to have a job.

double, glad the new horse is working out. Poor Banjo, sounds like he does need a job. Lucas didn't seem too upset when we had to put Cody down. He's spent a lot of time alone though during riding season because Cody and I would be on a trail somewhere.

I'd like to go camping again this coming weekend but it looks like many of the nearby campgrounds are booked up. Oh well, I can always do day rides somewhere. We need to get busy and cut some wood for winter. We have an outdoor wood buring furnace. We have quite a bit of wood left over from last yr, but it won't last long once it gets cold.

Double - I'm sure Banjo would love to help another young rider. He's always been such a good boy. Take it Sugar has claimed Junior for herself and Banjo's kinda the 3rd wheel now? How will Sugar be by herself if you leave her at home when you go trail riding? That was my only big concern when we sold Rocket is that 1 horse would be left home for the whole weekend if we went camping since we were down to 3 and always take 2 with us. They were all ok with it since we've done the separation pastures plenty to get them less buddy bound, but I still kinda felt bad for the one left home to not have a friend.

Connie - I hear ya on the wood. We get most of ours from a local pallet place now. It's the outside slabs anywhere from 3-8 inches thick and 8-18 feet long. They load the slabs on the trailer for a nominal fee and all that really has to be done when we get it home is cut it to fireplace or woodburner length and stack it. We've got a friend who is supposed to come out sometime this month to land a bunch of dead trees the horses picked out that they didn't like. He said he'd do it for just the wood. Took down our round pen so the trees won't land on it. Kinda weird to not see it up after 9+ years.

Heading to TX next week for work. Not planning on camping this weekend, but would like to possibly ride somewhere on Saturday. We went to Wolf Creek last Sunday and had a good couple hour ride. They have really cleaned up the trails over there where it's enjoyable to ride again instead of having to duck and dodge tree limbs every couple seconds.

Hubby and I did our yearly fall "primitive" camp Sunday and Monday(thank goodness for marine batteries on horse trailers, lol). We had lights and water in the LQ. The weather was perfect! We camped in the Shawnee forest about 5 miles from the house. It's not a campsite, no electricity, no humans (hubby does not like crowds) We had to spend some time cleaning off the spot but it was worth it. It's an area where a old fire tower used to be, the area was level and dry. Most of the trails were dirt trails, so Lucas did fine. What few areas had gravel, there was enough room on the side for him to get off the gravel. Hubby was so sore after the ride Sunday, he didn't ride with me Monday, lol. I keep telling him if he would ride more often he wouldn't get sore! Monday Lady was fired up! She usually is after spending a night in a pen. She was ready to fly down the trail. I would have let her fly but dam her gait was so rough! Sometimes she is smooth as glass, other times she beats me to death. My old body just can't take that pounding. I'm sure that rough gait is partly my fault, but I try to make sure I sit in the saddle, hold the reins, the same way each time. I didn't have to "work" to get Lucas to gait, guess I'm spoiled by him. May have to get my niece back out to show me what I'm doing wrong, it's so dam frustrating. When Lady gets in a "mood" she can be a lot of work. We had to have a few "lessons" on the trail so she'd get her attention back on me. She's a firey one, thats for sure! Thing is on the way back to camp she got smooth again...***sigh***

Connie,

I hear you on the rough stride. Sometimes I think when they get keyed up and we try to slow them down they bunch up and short stride or pace making for a choppy ride. It seems like when they are relaxed and reaching under themselves real well that we have the kill for smooth ride.

Been riding every weekend for 3-5 hrs. Love it. Not ready for the cooler weather yet.

Ramsey trails were open last weekend and the sign now reads open soil conditions permitting so I think I may just haul to Ramsey Park Sat or Sunday. Met a lady from Greenville with a fox trotter so may try to get together with her.

And since I have found a ride I got offered an 18 yr old Kentucky pleasure horse last week. Thinking maybe??????? Would give me a back up. Hubby wonders how "dead" broke he might be and if he might take care of him for an occasional ride. If we do something Banjo will go to Vicky. Just wish it was earlier in the year. Kinda hate to get things stirred up now.

double, I think you're on to something about the rough stride from being keyed up and not relaxed....hope you have a riding buddy with the lady you met.

I too hate that the cold weather is right around the corner, it's just now getting just right for riding, but that doesn't last long. Made reservations at Hayes this weekend, may be the last camping trip before the weather gets too cold, ya just never know this time of yr. My brother wants to come back up in November if we have decent weather, but I decided not to wait just in case it gets too cold. Looks like a nice weekend coming up!

Been kinda quiet around here.

I had an accident Sunday that really messed up my left leg. Herb and I were cutting wood, the trees that were uprooted by the tornado. I was picking up the wood and the downed tree shifted, smacking me down to the ground. I did not know I could scream like that. It hurt so freaking bad, I thought for sure it shattered my leg. X-rays show hematoma in the upper thigh, bruised ankle, knee is so badly bruised and swollen x-ray couldn’t show if there is damage to the knee or not, will need MRI if knee isn’t better soon. The whole left side of my body is bruised up. I’m lucky nothing is broken. It happened so dam fast. One minute I was bending over to pick up a piece of wood, next minute I’m slammed to the ground in excruciating pain. I’ve never experienced pain like this.

I cannot drive (truck is 5 speed) hobbling around on crutches. Thank goodness I can work from home. No horseback riding for awhile that’s for sure. Glad I rode Saturday! I’m really worried about my knee. It is 3x normal size.