Sign in to follow this  
aleyah

Critique?

Okay be prepared to cringe! I have never had a lesson in riding with an English saddle however I do plan on that in the super near future! For the meanwhile, please tell me how I am doing. Critique me and the horse. Sorry about the smallish space, it is 100 yards x 50 yards, I think. So it is big enough for a round pen.

Conformation pics first! Sorry about the saddle being on, at least he is squared ;) Take a guess on his age!

w1csi.jpg

11i382h.jpg

xo49aw.jpg

e8vpcn.jpg

ehnj1j.jpg

34sf33a.jpg

Next is videos!

I already pointed out on myself that I have the "canter worm", meaning I wiggle with the lope, I need to keep my body more solid, right? Also it looks like I have a chair seat sorta, but my heels definitely need to be brought back underneath me. How do I fix that? I think I need to bend my elbows but not quite sure about that! I was told to ride with a more forward propulsion, and I found that leaning forward when posting was more comfortable but am I wrong to lean that much forward? The last thing I can see bad about me is my toes, they are trying to fly away lol I was trying to do transitions mostly, and there were trot/lope poles on the ground.

Video # Uno

Video # Dos

Lastly still motion pictures.

If your looking for a laugh, go right ahead! The camera has a talent for capturing really awkward moments!

14weuxc.jpg

35kplhy.jpg

Well that's all folks!

Thanks for viewing!

2aeqipy.jpg

Edited by AdlucismahG

First, your smile says it all..... You're having fun! Good for you!!! [Jump]

Now, here it comes:

--Slide the saddle back a tad more. It's too far forward, so it's interfering with his shoulder AND it's automatically putting you in a chair seat. See how the pommel is higher than the cantle? Those two points should be level.

--Don't put your feet so far into the stirrup. The base of the iron should be firmly planted below the ball of your foot. Think: "Heels Down, Toes Up" With your saddle back a bit more, it will be easier to sink down into those heels and get a nice straight line from the back of your head, to your shoulders, to your hips to the heel. I highly recommend reading Sally Swift's book Centered Riding and/or getting the DVD series.

--Work on lots of trotting, both with and without stirrups, for a while before cantering again. You want to develop very quiet hands and upper body. Those core things will enable you to sit quiet for a canter later on.

And now for some mother noises [bat Eyelashes] -- Get thee a helmet please. You are a lovely young lady and, even though your boy may be a seasoned, quiet gentleman, poop happens. Besides, they come in realllly cool colors & designs now OR you can pop on an even cooler cover to change it up. Ok, done [Huggy]

With a few lessons from a solid instructor under your belt, you'll be fine!!!

Love your horse, beautiful coloring. You look pretty good for the first time in english tack. Just move your saddle back and adjust your stirrup. After a few lessons and little more time you will have a stronger base. Might I suggest an investment in a helmet and half -chaps. The chaps will keep your jeans from riding up and your calves from becoming raw, and the helmet will keep you safe. Otherwise, looking good!

what a cute horse! i agree-- great for your first time.

the main thing i notice is your stirrups look way too long (at least in the video, in the photos it's hard to tell). i'd shorten your stirrups a few holes. part of the reason your foot is so far in is that you're reaching for your stirrups.

the long stirrup/reaching is causing you to brace your leg in front of you. see where your leg is in the cantering photo? it should be around there the whole time you ride. once you fix your stirrups, it should be a little easier to keep your leg down and back. but if not, there are a few little tricks that help you find the right spot for your leg.

my favorite is post up for two beats, down for one, up for two, etc. if you're not properly balanced, you'll fall forward/back.

another one kind of like that is standing straight up in your stirrups (do it while walking or trotting, it's too easy to cheat at the halt).

good luck!

Edited by talktalktalk

Depending on what you plan on doing you shouldn't lean very far forward if not at all. In pleasure you keep a pretty straight back with maybe a slight lean forward. Working on keeping your heels down, back straight and feet back will help build your muscle. Do a lot of trotting and once you start hurting in the legs from the squeezing, take a break and do it again. Building English riding muscles will help your riding skills a lot. I've had many days where I could hardly walk afterward but I continue to get stronger. English is one of the hardest ways of riding but it improves your overall skill. [bat Eyelashes]

(Correct me if I'm Wrong)

You have one cute horse! Looks like a sweety.

Edited by omerdoos

I agree with everyone else!

Making your sturrips shorter will also help with your pstion alot, and will help you get your heels down. I used to have a hard time keeping mine down also, my trainer told me "every time you post remember 'heels down, toes up'". No sturrip work will help that also! In my opinion I would really like to see you sit up more, but thats just me.

For a first time english rider you dont look to bad! Good Luck!

I like your horses brand !

I know it's your choice but please wear a helmet.

I get scared when I see people riding with out them.

hi! your horse is adorable and he it turned out cute.

one thing i noticed is that you need to adjust your foot, for it to be more on the ball of the foot (a little behind your toes) and for you too sink your weight into your heels. also, i think you need more contact on your horse's mouth.

you should try standing up slightly at the canter, and rocking with the motion of the horse gently.

how long have you been riding? you look good! [smiley Wavey]

I love the brand on your horse, that's really cute.

I agree with what everyone is saying, but just one thing that no one has pointed out in parts of your videos (not the picture) you're on the wrong diagonal. When posting, "Rise and fall with the leg on the wall!" It takes a while to feel it if you've never tried before, but it will really help your horse balance more, especially in the tight space you are in.

You look great for just learning!

Ok All I did was look at the video a bit, saw your canter and im sure im repeating what others said since im not reading what others said lol but yes you look like your having a blast! I did too the first time I ride english now.

not being harsh so please dont take it that way.

Heels down - two point trot and no stirrup with help.

Helmet - helmet helmet helmet.. I fell off ONCE without a helmet, first time ever falling off.. never again without a helmet.

Ok your pumping as my trainer would say. She would chew you out lol she hates pumping. Just lean back a little more, get your feet out of your stirrup, the ball of your foot should be the only part in the stirrup. When your in the saddle take your feet fully out of your stirrups and the bottom should hit your ankle bone if longer, bring up until they do, if shorter, drop them down until they do. I don't know but I believe you were doing a sitting canter. Get your butt out the saddle xD. Lightly two point but still stay back this will help with the pumping. Pumping is moving your body back and forth with the horse. I think I did this before lessons cause it "felt like I was doing it the professional way" lol. Good luck and go ride some more its fun! Oh and ENGLISH SADDLE PAD. please please please get a english saddle pad. We use a babypad or a all purpose pad(NOT fitted/NOT in shape of english saddle) with a wither releif or half back pad. Depends on the horse.

Edited by myjimmy93

Oh and ENGLISH SADDLE PAD. please please please get a english saddle pad. We use a babypad or a all purpose pad(NOT fitted/NOT in shape of english saddle) with a wither releif or half back pad. Depends on the horse.

Half-pads are a trend now and for most horses certainly not necessary or even helpful - for many circumstances they hinder. There's nothing wrong with the saddle pad she is using,

No, I saw in two of the bottom pictures she is in a western pad. The half pad is fine I just dont prefer them xD.

Noseband can be tighter and dropped a little bit about two wholes maybe. Reins can be a little tighter too instead of a loose droopy rein.

Edited by myjimmy93

No, I saw in two of the bottom pictures she is in a western pad. The half pad is fine I just dont prefer them xD.

The western pad seems fine. Maybe a little awkward because it doesn't end at the bottom of the flaps, but I don't think it's something to get in a tizzy about.

Also, why the vehement opposition to fitted pads?

I'm not going to critique your riding, as others have already added lots of helpful hints, and I would only be repeating them.

I will definitely say "please get a helmet!" They're not terribly expensive...and cost a lot less than a trip to the emergency room ;) You said you'll be taking lessons soon, and any good instructor will require you to wear a helmet anyway.

Don't worry too much about the saddle pad issue. IF (very important IF) your saddle fits your horse properly, the main purpose of the saddle pad is to protect your saddle from sweat and dirt. I used to ride my double-wide mare without one so I could feel her better with my legs. The pad certainly does add a bit of cushioning for your horse as well, but until you're in a show ring, it doesn't matter too much which one you use.

Have fun, and let us know how your lessons go.

I agree with everyone so far. IMO until your really into english a western pad is ok! I say your horse is about 16-18!

Trotting: Shorten your sturrip, will help a lot, slow the horse down to be steady at the trot, should be a perfect 1,2,1,2ect.. act if there is a string pulling you up from your saddle, then put a lil lean in.Also put your hands more foward front of the withers!

Cantering: Same with shorten your sturrips, helps with the swinging. Also doing 2 point exercises and no sturrips will teach you very quickly were your leg should be. I also used to pump my horse. Let the horse do the work, relax the hips put your calves on the horses side, and lean about 85 degrees foward. IMO also you should loose the spurs until you have a steady leg with english, seems to me ur bumping him continuesly with the spur(sign of him laying his ears back at times and swishing his tail)

Working with a instructor hands on will help tons, hope I helped a little!

i would agree with everyone about position and the helmet thing :)

but what's the big deal about the stinkin' saddle pad? she obviously owns an english saddle pad (look at the top pics guys) so it's her choice on whether or not she wants to ride in an english or western saddle pad. it's her horse, her choice. and her horse doesn't look uncomfortable whatsoever (he looks quite content actually!). Not meaning to push buttons, although it inevitably will :rolleye0014:

good job with your horse, he looks great! keep up the good work!

Just something to add...

I think you might be holding the reins wrong. Its hard to tell from the pictures, but the rein should go between your pinkie and ring finger, not behind your pinkie finger.

Here's a photo...

post-49067-1234742623.jpg