edenn3583

Sweet Itch/mtg -pics New Symptoms

Different horses will require the treatment to be adjusted for it to be effective. But as a general rule I do a double dose of equimaxthen double dose again in 2 weeks then back it up with 1 dose of ivermectin every two weeks for 4 weeks. till all synptoms are gone double dosing again if nessesary after another 2 weeks watching carefully for any sympyoms returning. For some its an on going battle.

Oooh...I think my horse may have this. But I am not entirely sure if it is, or what the best course of action is... any feedback? He's a 9 year old paint/appy gelding. Every summer since he was about two, he gets little round spots, he itches them, the hair falls off, he itches them, they get little oozy sores, he itches them, and then they all meld together into bloody patches... It's really nasty and really bad. He is a tobiano with a chest plate spot and a dark head. When this first started happening, it was just his chest (dark sorrel) and his face (dark sorrel) but not the white areas around it or his blaze. I was told everything from allergies to fungus to rain rot to sweet itch. Finally, I settled on sweet itch and have been trying to treat it as such, but it doesn't really do a lot. The only things that help are anti-itch cream and lots of baths. Fly sprays do absolutely nothing. So we have been suffering with no end in sight. I wish I had a picture to post... maybe I do somewhere. I will search for it.

It does get 100% better in the winter, though. And, he does not itch his mane at all, and his tail he only rubs a little. But as the years go by, he gets worse and worse. And he is now getting the spots on his jawline and neck. He also has bumps on his belly (those are year-round!), but he doesn't scratch them as badly. So I am not positive, but I am going to give the dosing a try.

However, and why I am a little nervous-- if this is the problem, he, without a shadow of a doubt, has them in his eyes. They are his itchiest area. If I do this double-dose, and there is a large die-off, will it permanently harm his eyes? I am kind of scared for his sake. So if anyone has any ideas, I would be most grateful. I am off to research some more. I did read the entire post that Chocomare left, and it was very very informative. I am so exited that this may be the solution, and upset with myself that I didn't figure this out before. Argh!

Also, something I thought was interesting. Ever since we started riding him, he has been the "clumsy" horse. He was always tripping or stumbling, or slipping. It's gotten a little worse as he's gotten older, but I just chalked it up to him being lazy and chided him to pick up his feet. But maybe he's like that because he has those adult worms in his joints? *shudder* And he never trots on his own, and I have to really work to keep him in it. He won't extend, either. Maybe because it's difficult for him. Poor baby. I am going to try this, and pray hard that it works. If not, back to the drawing board.

This is such a timely thread for me! One of my mares has this! I was going to take her to the vet but now I know what I have to do! The pictures of Edens horse look exactly like my mare's chest, right down to the flaking! I thought it was just bugs so I sprayed her with fly spray and now it looks like the 'flaking' chest picture! It's so crusty and painful for her! I'm going to TSC first thing in the morning to get the Equimax!

While HC does frown on us posting links to other BB's threads, please do pop on over to the COTH one. We'd like to collect as many case studies as possible for tracking and, possible publishing.

Please respond on that thread in this form:

POSTER = Chocomare from COTH & HC.COM:

1) 16 y/o Grade Percheron Mare. Chronic abscesses in front right hoof. Known Metabolic Syndrome, borderline IR. Was on regular deworming program with Equimax, Quest, QuestPlus and Ivermectin. While treating for deep sulcus thrush in the affected hoof, also administered first dose of Double Dose Equimax Protocol ("DDEP") in that the "Itchies" were observed....chest, belly, etc. Within 36 hours of administration, itchies stopped. BUT....dramatic, unmistakable change in front right hoof was seen. Central Sulcus, which had been constricted/contracted tight for years (despite barefoot), opened up! Dead/cheesy tissue removed with hoof knife. Hoof treated with antibiotic ointment & yeast infection cream, as well as Hoof Disinfectant.

Seven days after DDEP, hoof has changed dramatically again, as witnessed last night during hoof care. False sole sloughing off on its own. Horse is moving TRUE heel/toe and properly loading the hoof.

Second DDEP administered 8/29/08. Have seen some minor scratching only. No more mane rubbing. Hoof continues to improve.

2) 11 y/o Clydesdale/Standardbred Cross Mare. For the last three springs/summers, witnessed said mare scratching her belly any way she could--back and forth on the dirt and gravel, a bush at the right belly height, etc. This summer witnessed bumps on chest and shoulders as well. Was on regular deworming program with Equimax, Quest, QuestPlus and Invermectin. Administered first dose of DDEP 14 days ago. Within 24 hours, itchies stopped and scabs/crusties/oozies started to heal. Have witnessed only minimal scratching. Will be doing Second Dose 9/2/08 since some belly scabs have returned.

For all those who have followed banjo and think this is what their horse has... it does say on the wormer websites that the swelling and such is common if this is what they have, I would do the bute for inflammation a couple of days before because Banjo was so miserable, but he got over it. If you have read the ENTIRE post then you saw what my end result was after the worming. I am happy to say that is is doing fine, still itchy and it seems at about the three week cycle he starts to itch again, but it is not near as bad, his tail is growing back and he has rubbed some crest hair out but he has not broken the skin, i hope you all keep us posted on your horses, I think this is very interesting. As for the fear of worming and the dead worms causing problems I just took the plunge, or you could single dose and wait two weeks and double, just to start to control the worms first. Paint, if he does have the adults the worming will not kill them, just stay on top of the worming and keep killing off the young and the old ones will just have to live out the life cycle till they die.

Note To User

Swelling and itching reactions after treatment with Ivermectin Paste 1.87% have occurred in horses carrying heavy infections of neck threadworm (Onchocerca sp.) microfilariae. These reactions were most likely the result of microfilariae dying in large numbers. Symptomatic treatment may be advisable. Consult your veterinarian should any such reactions occur. Healing of summer sores involving extensive tissue changes may require other appropriate therapy in conjunction with treatment with Ivermectin Paste 1.87%. Reinfection, and measures for its prevention, should also be considered. Consult your veterinarian if the condition does not improve.

A friend sent me here. I double dosed Ivermectin last night to try it out after nothing else working on my 2 year old gelding who is no where near as bad, but getting there. He's got bumps, rubbing his chest, face, tail which is getting thin and broken, and belly (sits like a dog and rocks back and forth scratching his belly)....and has what look like bites on his legs which were intially said to be bug bites. He's been on antihistamines all summer and has gotten worse. He has continually broken my fence boards leaning and rubbing. Where there is only board, he sticks his head between and rubs up - so does my grey now too - so the herd was all double dosed last night.

PS- Thank you so much for this...I've never even heard of it.

post-49926-1221416284_thumb.jpg

post-49926-1221416297_thumb.jpg

post-49926-1221416309_thumb.jpg

post-49926-1221416323_thumb.jpg

Edited by aalbury

It seems the biggest key to success is the double dosing.

But, if they have a heavy infestation in the eye, it seems you're between a rock and a hard place.

Earlier intervention is the ticket to avoid complications.

I have a learned lots from this topic.

I've not seen any pics as bad as Banjo yet, and he did ok. I was worried about his eyes. One thing to do would be single dose every two weeks/ or even every week and then work up to a double dose to killl off some of the larvae first. :smilie:

All of the bumps on Cyn's neck are worse right now. They are hairless and a few have sores in the middle. But he is not itching anywhere near as much.

Does it get like that? Worse as it's getting better?

And, his tail isn't as bad as banjo's WAS, but it's hard to look at.

It seemed as if Banjo got worse but in a few days I saw a great improvement, I also used skin topical treatments too, anything really you want. As long as he is not itching. Banjo started itching again in about 2 weeks, about the time he was supposed to have wormer again

Today is day 7. I am wondering if I've got his weight accurate enough. He's half arab and fairly small (14.3hh and no where near done growing) I thought 900 so dosed him with 1800. Or maybe I should've used the Equimax instead of just Ivermectin? His eyes were irritated this morning for the first time too.

I've got a 14.3 TWH that is very typey like an arab and that is what I would have dosed him. Banjo is 15.3 and I gave him two full tubes, in two weeks try the equimax, if there is no improvement then it may not be NTW

So, if this IS it, what happens after the follow up DD? Do I do this DD every month for awhile, or what? I guess I need to look into the life cycle....but if the midges here carry it, they will be re-infected as they all have them on them when I bring them in at night. I spray them with Endure, but they are still there tomorrow......

Hello aalbury! I'd think you could do the 2wk doseing during the midge season and after the first cold snap that kills the bugs, then you could go back to a regular schedule? I hope this works for him. It seemed like he was getting better after the initial dose?

I remember when my vet treated my dog for heartworms, he explained that the med (a poison, arsenic?) he was giving her would kill the HWs and they would end up in her lungs where they would decompose. I had to keep a sharp eye on her for infections AND keep her from getting excited and having her heart pump faster and loosen a large clump of worms that would travel to her lungs like a clot.

Perhaps it is a similar thing for horses being treated for NTWs. The NTWs die, but as they decompose and the horse's body is removing the foreign tissue, they itch until their body has fixed the problem.

Hope he feels better soon.

heidi

Well, that is a good question. I think it will be prevention in the summer months, but the worming does not kill the adults, just the larvae. SO I guess you have to keep up the worming every 2-3 weeks to prevent the young from growing and until the mature worms die off. We had a horse w/blood worms (sm. Strongles) and we wormed her every month for a year!

I know this is an old thread but I'm going to bump it up to see if it can help anyone. I think this is what my husbands horse has had for the last several years during the summer. I chalked up the tiny bald spots to fly bites and gnats aggravating his belly.

It's the gnats alright, just not the way you or many vets still think.

Following the Equimax Double Dose Protocol for at least 2 doses.

Double Dose By Weight Day 1

Double Dose By Weight Day 14

--expect to see an increase in external itching 3 - 4 days after Dose 1. Offer any external itch soother of your choice.

Feel free to DD By Weight again on Day 28.

If there is no improvement whatsoever, then it's something more nefarious and you'd best get skin scrapings done.

Thanks Choco, I'm going to write that down so I have it handy.

I am also reading over on COTH, the big long 50+ page thread.

After reading here and COTH I'm pretty sure its NTW. I'm going to give it a shot and see what happens. I knew he would get an open sore on his belly and then the gnats and flies were aggravating it but wasn't sure why he was scratching to the point of an open sore/raw spot. 2 years ago we went on the HC trail ride in Alabama and that is when I really noticed how bad his belly was. We opted to take the back girth off so it didn't rub on the spot. Treated with topicals for weeks til it healed and wasn't open/raw but it never really went away until winter. I noticed the other day he was down scratching his belly and I figure if I look he has the little bald spots starting on his shoulders and neck.

I was looking at the other thread here about the horse that had it for 8 years and just started researching. Found this thread and the one on COTH.

THANK YOU!

Hooray for this thread!!! Its what I read years ago and how we cured the mare at our barn :) And that flaky skin is normal when the NTWs start to die off. It looks like the skin is sloughing off, but new pretty skin is underneath.

I just thought of this and don't remember seeing it anywhere.

Do you have to treat every year for this or after the adult worms die are they gone for good or just have to watch and see if more symptoms come up?

Just plan on doing it every year come spring. Once they're under control, you can do just one Double Dose at the first sign of the itchies and the keep up with regular ivermectin dosing every 2 weeks through the fall/until first frost.

Chocomare the makers of equimax need to pay you commission.

I tried this a couple of years ago on a horse we had. It cleared him up and he never had problems afterward. He would itch a little but never where he had bald patches like before. We do feed our horses flax seed year round and that does help with their skin condition.

No commission needed... just reading the success stories here and on COTH is payment enough. Keep spreadin' the word!!! :winking:

Bumping this valuable thread on Neck Thread Worms (NTW).

Just got done treating a client horse with the double-dose Equimax regimen who has suffered from undiagnosed NTWs for years. Already a great improvement and the owner is thrilled. I suspect the horse is much happier, too. ~FH