Sign in to follow this  
vicky beelik

California To Mt. Vernon Washington

Hi,,,okay I need some input.. JK...we're a year away from the big trip!!!!!! Cowpony...stay on this thread since your gonna follow us a bit... We'll be leaving end of July/ beginning of August next year to head up to Mt. Vernon. Our first stop will be Pt. Reyes (we think) I am going to look into reservations there since I hear you need to book a year in advance.

Now I'll need some help..we want to go from Pt. Reyes into Oregon.... so JK, what part of Oregon are you again? I think our goal will be to stop in two areas of Oregon for a few days in each place. The first stop, just in from the California boarder and the second area closer to the Washington boarder. Any recommendations and how far ahead do we need to book. We would like to stay someplace that has corrals and allows dogs. Our horses will highline. We'd also like to go where we can ride straight out of the camp into some nice areas.

In Oregon, how is the 101? What do you suggest would be the best route to take up there..

After we stay in Mt. Vernon for just a couple of days, we'll be heading back, probably through Oregon again. This time with three horses. But, our goal will be to wind up in Lake Tahoe, so we'll probably skirt along the 5.

Anyone have suggestions of places we can stay...preferable with arenas. I think I have a place in Tahoe which I am going to work on booking soon. From Tahoe, we'll be going down to Mammoth and that will be the last leg of our trip before we head back to Ventura.

Definitely on the way home, we'd like someplaces that are dog friendly, have corrals and some that also have arenas. Since we're bringing home the new horse, we'll be using this time to get him acquainted with our boys and us. We'll be mostly ponying him and lightly riding him during the journey, but we'll be taking it pretty easy for the most part.

And and all suggestions welcome!!!!!

Oh and once we figure out our path, I'll be looking for good (Natural Balance/barefoot) farriers in those areas (just in case of emergency) along with feed stores and vets. But that should be easy once we know where we're going.

Edited by Crazy trail adventurer

Yeah CTA is almost here!!! Well I guess it is still a year away!

I would avoid 101 as much as possible. If you really want beach riding, then you could go over there and hit a beach, but you don't want to travel on 101 too much with a horse trailer. It is windy and curvy and windy and hilly! Plus there are sharp corners. :winking:

If you want to get to the beach near Coos Bay (S OR) there is Wild Mare Camp ground. It is a state park and has beach riding and sand dunes. There's another horse camp in that same area the name of which escapes me right now, wait I think it is called Baker Beach, but it has mountain trails in the trees and you can get to the beach by riding accross 101 in a safe place I am told, I've never been to this one.

Another place on the Oregon Coast farther north is Nehalem Bay. This is near Tillamook (N OR). Another state park with corrals. I posted pics from there last fall. Also near the Tillamook Cheese factory where you can get all the free samples of different kinds of cheese, and ice cream, but you have to pay for the ice cream! All of these beach places get booked early. You'll need to make reservations 9 mo in advance.

My suggestion would be to go up the 5, hit the beach at one of these locations if ya like, but stay on the 5 for the majority of the route. Only people in sports cars or bikes spend very many miles on 101. I-5 is pretty flat and straight except for the part near Medford, and 101 is way worse in that Southern OR portion. Then after hitting Washington, go down Hwy 97. This hwy runs through central OR and although having some pretty high passes to go over, is mostly straight and level. 97 enters OR at The Dalles and leaves to Cali near K Falls. This will give you two different perspectives of Oregon. The Willamette valley with all the rain and green Oaks and Douglas fir trees, then the high desert with the sage and pines. Near me and the 5 is Silver Falls State Park. You will want to make camping reservations early for this place. They have corrals, but only like 5 sites and it gets booked 9 mo in advance and almost never has a cancelation. They have nice trails there and big forests. The trails are mostly loops, of about 3 hours. There is one main one and some alternatives, but staying there more than a couple days will get boring. Mission Lake State park also has horse corrals. But it is small, mostly riding in farm fields with a small forest and some riding along the Willamette River. One day there and you will see all the trails. But it is only 15 minutes off I-5 and also right in my area. A little too much like riding at home for me. But reservations aren't needed at Mission Lake, very few people stay the night there. Not much shade in the camp there either, but there are corrals.

One pretty cool place to go with horses in central Oregon is Newberry Crater. I haven't been there (YET) but there is a horse camp with corrals I think and the riding is fabulous. There are views and lakes to see and mountains to climb. I could easily be talked into going there. And it is right near Hwy 97. You could ride here for a week without getting bored. One bad thing is there are bears in that area. Keep you food in a tree or very well secured and I think you won't have a problem. Lots of people camp there all summer long. If you wanted to ride the high desert through the sage there is Cyrus Horse Camp near Prineville. There are corrals, but no potable water in camp. Someone broke the pump before I went there this spring. There are lots of stock troughs around though, but the closest to camp is about a 1/4 mile away. This one and Newberry crater are within a few hours drive of each other. So you might choose one or the other. I'm sure there are plenty of horse camps down near K falls, I haven't been fortnate enough to go there yet! You might want to call the Lakeview ranger district to find out what is the best and near 97. Phone 541-947-3334

I live on the west side near Salem. Heck I bet I could be talked into meeting you someplace on the west side and then again on the east side! You'd be welcome to stay at my place for a night or two as well, but the riding from here is pretty boring. Just a bunch of grass seed and corn fields here, flat and boring! I'd rather meet you someplace at a horse camp.

Ok thats a long enough book for now I'm going to bed! [bat Eyelashes]

You're riding? I'm jealous...

I'm just north of Mt Vernon, so when you do come up this way make sure you give a holler. We're going to be trying to head down into Oregon in August for a couple weeks with the horses, but southeastern, so nowhere near your ride. Too bad, eh?

Alright Jk, we're not dead set on beach for Oregon. We can get that here. But we're flexible. I'll look up those places and we'll see what we can come up with. Desparate, let us know where you're headed and maybe we'll hit it on the way back. We'll also have to find a boarding our temp place to put our horses for a few days while in Mt. Vernon.

Guest cowpony01

Yup, diddo on the I-5 you can haul arse through there with a trailer too. Just go with the flow of the big rigs, they are pretty friendly if you speak their language. Once you get into Tahoe what route are you planning, the 395? I can let you know of some places along there too. May have to highline though once you hit that area, but I can give you a heads up on some camp spots......

Hi ya, I think we'll head into Tahoe from the 5 area. I am going to scope the map today.

If we're coming back down the 5 into your neck of the woods, are there some good places around there?

Now remember, heading home, we'll have a fairly young horse with us who will be barefoot. So, anything we do homeward bound will be somewhat gentle and easy. We'll be dragging him along for the most part. That's why we want to try to find places with stalls and possibley turn outs so we can slowly integrate the horses. Toms horse is pretty aggressive so it has be to a gentle process. The goal is to have the herded up by Mammoth so we know they can live happily in together in their pen at home.....

So, CP, what route do you suggest for the drop in to the Tahoe area? Also, we are going to arrange for Mammoth for the last leg if you want to follow us in there.

Guest cowpony01

If you're gonna follow 395 back into Mammoth I can meet yall in Minden or somewhere along the bottom of one of the passes, prob. either 88 or 108. And can follow yall from there.

Now coming off the I-5 into Tahoe, you could take 50 from Sac in the "spaghetti bowl" and it'll take you right into Meyers at the light. Not sure exactlly where in Tahoe your parents are but that would be the best bet in my opinion.

You might want to check out that cluster of a mess there in Sac and find 50 and then follow the two to connect so you can see where abouts I'm talking about......

Another couple thoughts of places to camp. Monument horse camp is in a state forest here near me and might be an alternative to Silver Falls. SF has better trails and more big trees, but there are lots of riders there so taking the dog on the trail might not be a good idea. Monument has a beautiful new horse camp. Less people so taking the dog is better option there. But there is a couple miles of logging road riding. The rocks are small on the logging roads so it's not too bad.

Also in Washinton Kalama horse camp is a place I've always wanted to go to but haven't but I hear it is gorgeous there. You ride at the base of Mt St Helens and the views are spectacular. Not sure if it might be too far off the 5 for ya. But it is an easy day drive from here.

We're open for both!!! I am actually mapping today. So, I'll take a look and we can start planning some dates.. What is your preference on camp spots? We'll go with your choice. I do like taking the pup on the trails. She's really well behaved. But if she can't go, she is just fine staying in the trailer while we're gone.

I'd stay off 101 too. Its just as windy, hilly and narrow in California. But if you do end up wanting to hit the California coast north of San Fran, there are some great places. PM me if you'd like more info on them.

After taking a look at the map, I think we're going to 101 it to the Sacramento area. From there we'll go inland and try to find a place to hole up for the night. Then we'll hook up to the 5 into Oregon.

I've heard the 101 gets a bit curvey..

My friend also emailed me information about that cool boarding facility with the indoor Trail track. That may be kind of cool to see as well.

Hey JK...you like Silver Falls? A friend of mine recommended that place today and I thought about you. I looked it up on the web and it is gorgeous!!!! But I didn't see anything about horse camping there. Also, it sounds like that place is somewhat doggy friendly too. How far from the California boarder would you say it is? I have to look it up again. Once I figure out the distance we can solidify a date and make the reservations. I can book other places around that.

Okay, based on miles, it looks like we're going to look for a lay over place someplace just north of Sacramento. Does anyone know of a good lay over area around there? If necessary, we can go stay in a hotel (dog friendly) but we need someplace with two stalls and a place to turn out so the boys can stretch their legs a bit. We won't be riding and we'll be pulling out fairly early in the am.

The next day, our plan will be to cross over into Oregon and head either up the 97 based on JK's suggestion or stay on the 5. Either way, we'll want to stop someplace around Medford or the Klammath falls area. JK....what good camp spots are in that area? You tell me if there is someplace you want to go and we'll book it.

If we stay at a camp area, we'll stay for 3 days or so. If there is just a lay up area, we'll lay up and head out to a camp area the following day. When we continue on, we'll drive up the 5 and want to hit about 250-300 miles, which will put us right in your (JK's) backyard. Maybe we should book Monument for this portion of the trip for a few days???

Okay, here's where I need some help please.

I have some potential back up locations. But, our goal is to stop the first night night just n. of Sacramento. I've already tried to contact Emma's Bed and Breakfast (Loomis) and Fox Hunter Farm (Orland). Our ideal overnight lay up location would be anywhere from Arbuckle up to Orland, close to the 5. Does anyone know of any ranchotels or layover facilities in these areas?

Sorry I've been absent for a while...

The only campground I know of in southern OR near the 5 is Sam Brown Horse camp. Here's a web site listing OR horse camps including that one. http://www.all-oregon.com/horse_camping.htm Sam Brown is about 30 miles off the 5 near Grants Pass. Here's the ranger district phone number for camp reservations there or other options in the area. Galice Ranger District, (541) 471-6500. I've never stayed there or at any of them down there, so have no first hand knowledge in that area.

When you travel north there are three options relatively close to the 5 and Salem. These are all state parks. Willamette Mission is my least favorite. It is near the Willamette river, but too many rocks there to get the horses in the river. Also it is mostly just flat farm land you ride on so pretty boring and only 10 or fewer miles of trails. Silver Falls and Monument both have much better trails. They are both 30 - 40 miles off the 5 to the East. Silver Falls is a little more domestic, has bigger trees and better trails since there is little to no logging road riding required to make a 3-4 hr loop. But Silver Falls requires reservations early or it fills up. Also dogs are 'supposed' to be on leash so not as easy to take them riding with you there. Monument is more like staying in a forest. Theres a hand pump for water. Very nice camp ground and more dog friendly. There are fewer people coming here so reservations aren't needed and they allow highlining if the camp is full, which rarely happens. You do have to ride on some logging roads to make the loop here and it is actively logged, so the trees aren't as big as Silver Falls, but there are some nice views from the landing sites. Here's a link to Monument's brochure. http://egov.oregon.gov/ODF/northcascade/do..._and_Trails.pdf

Continuing North up the 5 I would look into camping at Kalama Horse Camp in Washington. No reservations at this camp, so I would shoot for a mid week arrival that way you get a site. Not sure how popular it is, but there are 50 plus miles of trails in the mountains with views of Mt St Helens and the area, so I would think it is pretty popular. Depending on the dates and my vacation availablility I might follow you to this one. I've always wanted to go there and not had a chance yet.

So that's my 2 cents worth. I think I would go N on the 5 and then S on Hwy 97 through OR. This gives you a good chance to see western and central OR. Two very different places. If you have a stock water tank in your trailer you can fill that at most human camps since most horse camps that I know of only have hand pumps. I've done it that way lots of times on the road. I also stay at County Fair Grounds when there isn't other camp ground choices in the area I am traveling through. Those also have water and usually showers. Human camps will let you pull in and pay a small fee and use their showers as well. So you won't have to bath in a bucket everyday. :twitch:

Starting next year I believe all forest service property and I believe state parks will require certified weed free hay. I have some friends who got busted without it last weekend. Be prepared for that. I am thinking I am going to use the small hay pellets instead of certified hay. They are at the feed stores, they are heat treated which should make them weed free, check with the store or the maker of the pellets to be sure. Certified hay is near to impossible to get around here and costs a fortune. I've been told soaking the pellets helps the horses get used to eating them. I plan to use pellets next year and hope I can find a little grazing when out for extended periods to fill the gut a little more.

Hi JK!

Once I nail down the dates, let's stay at Monument. It sounds nice for all involved, including our 4 legged smaller friends! We will be leaving Ventura on the 25th of July. We'll be staying just outside Sac that night and pulling out the following morning for southern Oregon. I'll check into the places on that site for two days of camping there. From there, we'll hit monument. Maybe we can do Monument, we'll go in and secure a few spots at the place you recommend in WA and you can show up later.????

Thanks for the weed free reminder. We're actually planning on taking either pellets or cubes, which are indeed processed. They're easier to travel with. You can carry alot more in alot less space. Once we get back into Nevada and California, we're going to pick up some Alfalfa and 3 way to get our old horses back to their original diets and slowly get Vievo transitioned to what he'll be eating at our ranch.

I'll nail down the dates and PM you before I book them. Yeah!!!! SOOOOOOOO excitted!!!

Hey CP...take a look at my blog...I updated the plan for Oregon. Why don't you follow along with us that week??

JK, take a look at the dates for Monument. Let me know if they're okay. If so, I'll book them. I'll just need to know how many sites you'll need. We'll still only have the two horses, so, we'll only need one site.

Also, it looks like on the way back down, we'll be looking to stay someplace between Ellensbury and Toppenish in Washington, probably just a lay over place, as we're going to head back into Oregon down the 97 to White Fish Horse Camp in Crescent area. Our friends actually own a real nice Camp/Cabin area in Crescent Creek.