noip1963

Geo-caching On The Trails?

My son and his gf are into this geo-caching.

They have a lot of fun doing it too!

They came home today with a dissposable camera that they're taking to VA with them.

And they found a key fob for a truck that is looking for it's original truck! LOL

(I thought that was cute!)

They'll take it home to VA with them and put each one in a new location for someone else to find.

Geo caching is using a GPS to find hidden treasure.

All caches are hidden in public parks or public areas so anyone can find them.

A lot of times you find a clue then have to search around for more clues to find the package.

A container that they come across earlier this week had sew-on patches in it.

Another one had the fake stick on tatoo's in it.

When they first told us that they went geo-caching that day.

We both looked at them and said What's that?

So they explained it to us.

It sounds like a lot of fun.

And I'm wondering if trail riders do the geo-caching or not.

Could be some interesting horsey stuff hidden out there somewhere!

Edited by noip1963

That sounds like fun, especially for the kids. Now maybe I could find a use for that blasted Garmin I bought last year and never could figure out how to use!

My husband does, darn if I could figure that thing out. If it were up to me to find our way out, we'd still be there.

We ride in Illinois, the park we go the most has tons of them. It's a fun game, wish I knew how to play!

here's one for the horses:

http://equicache.com/

the official site for regular:

http://www.geocaching.com/

travel bugs,

things to find that they want you to take it to another caching site for someone else to find and move on.

Like the camera and the key fob .. when you write in that you picked up a certain item, the item should have a # on it. You can trace that number and it will tell you how many miles and where all that item has been and it will also inform you as to where and when the next person logs in with that item.

http://www.geocaching.com/track/

- - - - -

we've been kicking around getting a gps for when we travel with the horses.

now I know we'll get one.

hubby found a site for refurbished garmins that you can pick up for a fraction of the regular cost.

http://garmn.factoryoutletstore.com/cat/17...shed-Units.html

by doing a google search, there are more sites.

Edited by noip1963

Charmer ... remember the horseshoe nailed high in that tree in the George Washington Forest?

I had my son do a search for that area and right off the bat, there were 8 caches around there.

That horseshoe may have been someone's clue!

Charmer ... remember the horseshoe nailed high in that tree in the George Washington Forest?

I had my son do a search for that area and right off the bat, there were 8 caches around there.

That horseshoe may have been someone's clue!

Wow! That is too cool.

I use to do orienteering way back in school and always had a blast. I had heard of the geo-cashing and was thinking it would be a good way to use the garmin I just HAD TO HAVE (and haven't ever used except playing around at home).

Eeyore, would you contact me regarding the orienteering you used to do? I'm trying to put together a GPS/Orienteering type event here in So Cal to introduce people to this sport. I'd like to do a GPS clinic but most people don't have GPS's and aren't interested in buying one because of the expense. A compass is much cheaper but I have no experience with one and cannot figure out how to do an event using one. Do you know of any books, for a beginner, on the subject?

I have 3 equicaches hidden in my local area, Lake View Terrace, CA. All are listed on Equicache.com but only one is listed on Geocaching.com. I geared mine to equestirans, filled them with horse themed swag and hid them so riders could get to them without getting off their horses. This is a really fun sport.

I've been trailering out a lot lately to day rides and camping trips and am thinking about hiding a cache at each place we go. This is a huge, international sport for hikers and mountain bike riders. It can be just as huge for riders and may be a way to get more riders on our trails so we don't loose them to the hikers and bikers.

I'm excited just talking about it. It's almost more fun searching and finding the cache then going through the stuff in it.

If anyone is in or going to be in, my area, please check equicache.com to get the coordinates for my caches and let me know what you think.

Debie

Eeyore, would you contact me regarding the orienteering you used to do? I'm trying to put together a GPS/Orienteering type event here in So Cal to introduce people to this sport. I'd like to do a GPS clinic but most people don't have GPS's and aren't interested in buying one because of the expense. A compass is much cheaper but I have no experience with one and cannot figure out how to do an event using one. Do you know of any books, for a beginner, on the subject?

I have 3 equicaches hidden in my local area, Lake View Terrace, CA. All are listed on Equicache.com but only one is listed on Geocaching.com. I geared mine to equestirans, filled them with horse themed swag and hid them so riders could get to them without getting off their horses. This is a really fun sport.

I've been trailering out a lot lately to day rides and camping trips and am thinking about hiding a cache at each place we go. This is a huge, international sport for hikers and mountain bike riders. It can be just as huge for riders and may be a way to get more riders on our trails so we don't loose them to the hikers and bikers.

I'm excited just talking about it. It's almost more fun searching and finding the cache then going through the stuff in it.

If anyone is in or going to be in, my area, please check equicache.com to get the coordinates for my caches and let me know what you think.

Debie

The only "orientiering" that I've done was Land Navigation in the Army. Basically, you have #ed stakes that are set out on a course. You are given the grid coordinates of all of the stakes that are you to find and then you use your map and compass to find them and write the # down.

You start by plotting your first point on your map, getting the azimuth and distance to that point. Start walking in that direction while counting the distance and checking your compass to make sure that you are not wandering off course.

It's one of those things that I can show you easilly how to do (I actually taught a lot of Land Nav. in the Guard) but is hard to explain on the computer. If you need help using maps and compasses try FM3-25.26 here's a link to an online version:

http://www.globalsecurity.org/military/lib...5-26/index.html

You can usually pick up the actual manual as well as compasses, maps, and protractors at surplus stores. Read the FM and PM me if you have any questions about how to use a map and compass (a good skill really for anyone who spends any time in wilderness areas).

Edited by palomino_overo

Looking forward to more information.

I really like this sport and think it adds a little something to the regular trail rides.

That looks like so much fun. I checked out both sites. There weren't any equine ones around me, but there were quite a few regular ones.

I guess I need to make some plans to set some out, huh?

Very cool topic and def. a great way to bring some interest and life back into our local trails.

Any tips on setting the first few caches?

Zakima pointed you in the right direction for information, both the Geocaching.com and Equicaching.com sites as well as her Treasure Trotters site have loads of info on the how tos.

I used plastic cookie jars with screw on lids and used plastic craft paint to sponge camoflauge on them. The only problem with these is that you have to eat the cookies that come in them first. :) I washed them in the dishwasher with really hot water several times to get all the food smell out of them.

I've seen some with different colors of duct tape as camo. Keep in mind the area where you place the jars and try to camo them so they blend in.

I tied black baling twine around mine so I could hang them, some in trees, some in bushes, some high, some low. That's one of the challenges, not knowing where to look when you're searching, high or low.

I went to the 99 cent store to get wire bound pads and pencils for the logs. I found small pencil sharpeners at Rite Aid and included them in the zip lock with my logs/pencils so the pencils could be sharpened when they get dull. I'm anticipating lots of people writing in the logs. :)

The 99 cent store, Big Lots and the dollar bins at stores are good places to look for swag to put in the jars. I tried to keep mine related in some way to equestrian use. Carabiners, small flash lights, folding rain ponchos, folding hoof picks, anything you can think of to use while riding or for an emergency. I put several small electrical zip ties in a small zip lock with a note that they are good for emergency repairs to reins and other things. Zakima made some nice jewelry out of horse show nails that I've included, too.

I tried to place mine from my horse so others would be able to reach them from theirs. I found out this past weekend that that isn't always going to be the case. The searcher has to have a horse that will stand while the rider is getting the jar, removing the lid, writing in the log, taking and replacing swag items. My horse will but others may not. You might keep that in mind and place them so they can be reached from either horseback or the ground.

One of the hikers that's been corresponding with me about my caches, thanked me for putting individually wrapped Handy Wipes in them. She said they were handy for poison oak. I also got some samples of stuff at the last Equine Affair and put some of them in my caches.

I almost have as much fun finding stuff to put in the cache as I do searching for them.

We're going camping in 2 weeks and I've asked everyone going to bring an item individual to each of them. We'll place it all in a jar and hide it while we're out riding. I think I'll start doing this on every ride at a new place. Maybe it'll be another way to get people interested in this sport.

I'll take some pictures of my jars and attach them later so you can get an idea of what they look like.

Debie

Debie what great idea's you've got.

I'll look forward to seeing your finished products.

I need to get some of these done up and start setting them on the trail too!

Outside of the one Zmecky has placed there are not any horse specific caches in our area.

Just hope this catches on an more equesterians place and search for caches.

Outside of the one Zmecky has placed there are not any horse specific caches in our area.

Just hope this catches on an more equesterians place and search for caches.

Since I will be getting my little E-Trex soon is there some way I could hide some and add them to your sight? I know we have NONE in altadena :( I've looked.

This sounds like way too much fun!

Okay, question. I've not got a GPS so no clue how they work. Are trail maps on them? Is it a sure thing that there's a trail map available to download (or however you get them) for every area? I'd like one just so I know where the stinking trails across the road from me are, lol! But once I find them I'd love to be able to start hiding stuff out there :smilie:

Hi Rae - You bet I will place it on our site. I'm still learning about the website design so I do not yet have an open form to add. Send me the coordinates and what you wan to call it.

Deb can tell you how to list them on the other sites.

I'm so happy others are finding this.

[Yay]

OK,

I'm bringing this subject back up to "current time".

I'd love to get some Equicaching going around this part of the country.

I've found some GEOcaching on-line just miles from my house! So I know it's out there, just not for horses.

(I live in eastern NY)

This sounds like such fun.

There must be others in the north east besides charmergirl (hi charmergirl) & myself that would be interested in EQUIcaching!

I love the information Zmecky gave us all. I guess to get started, we just need to individually put a cach together & get it out there.

Then what do we do? Do we put it on the Treasure Trotters web site?

Zmecky,

You asked about Orientering. I've done it on horseback & it's really fun. I set up 2 "unsanctioned" rides & invited friends to come to introduce it to this area.

Here's the NACMO site: Mounted Orienteering

The Treasure Trotters site does not get much traffic. I had created it when Zmecky and I first started talking about this. I have not done mush with it since.

These two would be your best for posting as well as finding available caches in your area.

here's one for the horses:

http://equicache.com/

the official site for regular:

http://www.geocaching.com/

If you want to keep it solely equestrian, do not post on the geocaching site.

I really thought there would be far more interest in this, perhaps it is the high cost of the units that

deter people. While we have not given up on the geocaching, we are looking into orienteering as a moe cost effective activity for our friends and clubs.

I've gotten so far as to buy some containers and neat little goodies to put in them.. but I haven't gotten my butt out onto the trail to set them!

Hey, I bought some coffee that came in clear plastic water proof containers. I got them at Wally. Really they were free as the coffee bag was inside and that's what you are paying for.

I bet they'll work great!

Hi Cowpony,

The equicache.com site has been absorbed into geochaching.com. I've let the Treasure Trotter site

go stagnate due to lack of interest.

Trail Blazer magazine is opening a new website but locations will not be available

until sometime in Spring 2009. That sire addresss is:

Trail Blazer Equicache website