noip1963

Geo-caching On The Trails?

In April, my riding club is hosting a GPS Poker Ride & Hike, where riders and hikers will use their GPS units (or borrowed ones) to find poker cards hidden along a trail

Before the riders and hikers go out to find the cards, there will be an hour long clinic conducted by two of the smartest guys I know--one a hiker, one a rider, and both of whom are GPS fanatics--on how to use GPS units: finding coordinates, recording trails, etc. Many folks buy the units and then don't take the time to figure out how to use them--it can be daunting.

In 2002, I ran the same event and everyone seemed to like it. I had a great time the day before going out and hiding the poker cards. I sealed the cards in small envelopes, divided them amongst 10 plastic boxes and marked each envelope with a number 1 through 10 according to the box they were in. I then hid each box in a different location--under rock ledges, under chaparral, behind a big rock... I had a blast hiding the cards! I made note of the longitude and latitude of each of the boxes and then made up different lists of coordinates of five of the boxes. I sent out groups of 3 - 5 riders for each list, so each person in the group would have a chance to locate a box, and sent out the groups in different directions at different times so they couldn't just follow another group to find the boxes. As each group returns, each person's cards--1 through 5--are opened and tallied, and while they wait for all the groups to return and the poker hands to be tallied, they get to eat lunch.

People love winning money at poker rides--people love rides where food is served--people love to go to "clinics" to learn stuff. This event is pretty easy to host--it doesn't take an army of people to run it (like a trail trial, for instance).

Edited by HorsingRound

Count me in for this. I'll probably be bringing 1 or 2 with me. Zakima has expressed an interest as has another from our barn. I think it sounds like fun. It's on my calendar in bright red.

I'll look forward to seeing you there, Z!

Are you still planning on putting on a GPS treasure hunt too? I'll try to make your ride, or if you need people to help, let me know.

I'm in too. Got new batteries in my dino GPS and brushing up on how to use the thing again.

It sounds like fun and I'm looking forward to it.

Caching-Once you find the item-I assume based on clues you've received then what? You put your name in the containter and put it back or do you post that you found the item and the games over?

Edited by ymcacowgirl

Ok... The last comment about Equicaching was in 2009. The only ones that seem to be doing it are in Florida & California.

It is now 2011. Isn't any of this going on up here in the NorthEast?

Ok... The last comment about Equicaching was in 2009. The only ones that seem to be doing it are in Florida & California.

It is now 2011. Isn't any of this going on up here in the NorthEast?

Don't know about anywhere else, but I'm still equicaching and, coincidently, putting on a geocache ride on Nov. 19 and caching "horsie swag."

It only takes two people to geocache, though: One to hide it, another to find it. :happy0203:

I hunt for geocaches quite often. I've hidden 4 geocaches on horse trails in the Shawnee Forest in southern Illinois.

Where are you in NY? I queried "Dutchess County, NY" on www.geocaching.com and there were many caches listed. The coordinates that were shown for the query were N 41 degrees 37.447 minutes W 073 degrees 52.945 minutes. Zip codes, an address, lat/long, all work well as queries and will help you find something close by. Hope this helps!

Where are you in NY? I queried "Dutchess County, NY" on www.geocaching.com and there were many caches listed.

Wildkat, I know there are "geocaches" but I have not found any where a horse can go.

Are these where horses can go?

t_air_e, I am in Pine Plains, NY. I'm always looking for riding partners!

I have a nice 5 mile loop on a country road to ride for hunting season if you want to join me.

Wildkat, I know there are "geocaches" but I have not found any where a horse can go.

Ah...HA! I looked on www.geocaching.com at a few of the different places we go camping & riding: Brookfield, Luzerne, Stewart State Park, Grafton State Park... I don't know how many are "horse friendly" but they are there. Thanks!

These are all far from my house. I wish there were some closer, but at least I found something :D

t_air_e, I am in Pine Plains, NY. I'm always looking for riding partners!

I have a nice 5 mile loop on a country road to ride for hunting season if you want to join me.

Sounds like fun, but I currently don't own a horse. I sold them back in 2008 before I got married. But, if you ever want to meet up just let me know. I know no one in the area and since I still haven't found a job I'm always bored and lonely.