spacytracy

So....i Bought A Pony!

He is just tooooo cccuuuttteee.

Good thing you got there before I did.

If he still needs a ride I'll pick him up.

But I'll bring him home with me.

just kidding [Jump]

congratulations [Yay]

Someday I will have a mini!

He's adorable.

Let me ask you this, do you know anyone who shows lambs or pigs?

The portable metal cages that our 4Her's use for the bed of a truck might fit a mini in the back of a truck.

Just a suggestion.

Can you rent a trailer at one of those equipment rental places? It would be the safest route.

We had a pony get killed when bringing it home, so we wanted to keep my younger brother and sister's ponies safe on the trip to their new home. The only trailer for rent was being repaired so we came up with the following "Pen" to get them safely home. A panicked pony falling over the low bed of the truck was our deepest concern.

We hauled two Shetlands (individually) in the back of an pickup truck. It didn't have holes in the rim to build a short wall on the sides so we had to create something from the floor of the bed and up.

We made a "stall" from three sheets of plywood. Two sheets laying length ways made the sides and two 2"x4" boards (cut to length) were screwed at the top and bottom to hold them apart at the cab end of the bed, one 2x4 was laid on its side at the back end to hold the bottom of the plywood in place at the tailgate end of the truck.

The third sheet was turned into a ramp with 2"x4"s screwed along the length to add strength to the plywood. Our pickup wasn't tall so our ramp was just slightly longer than the width of the bed of the truck. We just screwed the ramp across the back of the bed into the 2x4 at the bottom of the bed after the pony got in.

We went to a carpet place and got a free strip of left over carpet padding. A bale of hay was placed next to the cab to entice the pony in and keep it occupied as we drove home. Going up the ramp took some time. We learned our lesson and asked the second owner to with hold the feed on the morning we went to pick Misty up. She ran up the ramp to get at the hay!

A friend of mine hauls her Minis in the back of her huge SUV. She trained them to go up a home made ramp that folds (hinges) into 3rds and goes on the floor of the back seat. We took one of those huge textured floor mats from an office supply company. Cut the corners, folded them up and used a sealant glue to create a water proof floor box. Filled with wood pellets (for barns) it doesn't matter if one of the minis has an accident. :grin:

I can rent a cargo van from UHaul - $20 plus .59 cents a mile - that will probably work. For the long-term I still want to find a way to safely haul him. I want to take him to my grandma's nursing home once in awhile.

The livestock cage would probably work from what I can tell online, but dont they make those plastic dog-crate looking ones for calves? Does anyone know what they're called? I can't find them online. I passed by them once on the highway.

We aren't in farming country - I don't know a soul who does FFA, or 4h for livestock. So I'm at your all's mercy to figure out what these things are called!

He is a doll.

We had a guy transport one to our house in the back seat of his truck. When they took him home the wife sat in the bed of the truck with him. So, yes it can be done.

AHH! He's cute!

When I got my first mini we brought him home in a wild game crate tied down on a trailer. My ex mother in law had the box from when she brought her fallow deer home, so we just borrowed it. For this trip I'd look into the cargo van probably. I'd seen them hauled in pickup trucks with a topper but for the taller minis they really have to duck their heads and getting them into the bed of the truck can be a real trick.

Tracy,

I would go with Uhaul to get him home, there definitely would be room in the back of your truck, but getting him up & down the height of the bed of truck might be a problem. But he is a good looking fellow, enjoy him. Best Wishes. PD

Thanks everyone!

I think the cargo van is the way to go. I'm going to throw some rubber mats in there to keep him from slipping, and then lay a thin layer of sawdust down, give him some hay, and I think he'll be fine!!!

Awww! He's absolutely darling! [Huggy]

Your little guy is too big, but we bought our miniature when she was still a suckling foal, and brought her home at five months of age. She was no bigger than a BIG dog, and we had a conversion van. We didn't have a horse trailer at that time, so we just stuck her in behind the last seat, closed the doors and hauled her home. Also took her to the vet like that, too. Even when she grew a bit older, she still fit back there. We always put plastic down to protect the flooring.

I miss having a mini. Yours is just precious! I sure hope everything works out well with him, and hope you have many happy years together!

Congratulations!! [Jump] [Jump] [smiley Wavey]

Yes, I think the cargo van will be the way to go for you, if you can't get something or build something for him for the back of the truck.

To get him up and down the back of a truck, you can get a ramp or build one.

You can call your local agriculture office or 4H office and get information from them or get numbers from other members that have mini's, lambs, goats.. If its not in your phone book, you can call and get the numbers to the 4H/Ag Office from information.

In the future you could get a trailer for minis/sheep/goats if you wanted. Or get a small 1-2 horse bumper pull or gooseneck trailer. Or some kind of cage/stall for the back of your truck.

Congrats! He looks like a sweetie!