spacytracy

So....i Bought A Pony!

What have I done!?!?!

Ok, I'll tell you. I found a black mini gelding that fit my needs (companion horse, pony rides) so I went to look - and fell in love. Cutest thing, was so sweet, never once gave anyone trouble, didn't even get nippy about eating grass or anything! Her dog (a big hound puppy) at one point grabbed the leadrope and ran off with the pony trotting behind him!!!!

BTW, for those who saw the pictures the woman sent me, he is 100x cuter in person. His head isn't big like in the pics. Its actually a very cute little head! :)

YEAH!

Edited by spacytracy

Well, dummy me didn't get pics of him. He will be at the woman's place until Sept 13 -too long! But we are going on vacation from the 9-11 and I didn't want to bring him home and then leave right away.

Yea, it was priceless seeing this goofy big dummy pulling the pony (er, mini) around. At that point, I was sold.

The puppy was also all up in the pony's uh, business area, and he just stood there.

Yea, it was priceless seeing this goofy big dummy pulling the pony (er, mini) around. At that point, I was sold.

The puppy was also all up in the pony's uh, business area, and he just stood there.

I would have been sold too!!

So, if he's mine, and I've paid for him in full, even though he's still at the woman's house, can I take pics and post them???

I would think so, after all, it is YOUR pony.

Congrats..

I actually knew of a saint bernard that was trained to lead the horses. Most of them trotted along. Good Dog... That hound sounds the same.

His name is Sambo, but my mom tells me that is a derogatory name for black people from back in the day (little Black Sambo?), so that will NOT be his name! I'm thinking "Sam" will do just fine!

Awww... he sounds priceless!! I can't wait to 'meet' him!

And yes, if YOU took the pictures, you can post them. If you were going to use his previous owner's pictures, then that would not be ok.

Edited by ChaunceyBlue

His name is Sambo, but my mom tells me that is a derogatory name for black people from back in the day (little Black Sambo?), so that will NOT be his name! I'm thinking "Sam" will do just fine!

My pony's name was Sambo when I bought him!!! The previous owner said it was because he was lazy like an old *racist word*. I was shocked and disgusted and promptly changed his name to Jamie and he was my heart horse until he passed away in Nov. 2006. If your Sambo turns out to be even half as amazing as MINE was you will be completely smitten with him for a very long time.

I suggest you get in your car RIGHT NOW and go get pictures!!!!!

[Yay]

War Pony - that's so strange! I hope he turns out to be our forever pony....

I just emailed her to see if she'd be ok with me stopping by sometime tomorrow....so you'll all have to be patient along with me til I can get some pics of him!

I told her it was cuz I bought a halter and wanted to put it on him to make sure it fit. I lied. I just wanna squeeze him. lol

PS - so about the halter, I got a "weanling" size (Tractor Supply is pretty limited) and it said "Weanling/Large Pony" --- which, in my mind doesn't make too much sense, but I bought it - it looks like it would fit him - anyone have any other suggestions for size equivalents?

Edited by spacytracy

War Pony - that's so strange! I hope he turns out to be our forever pony....

I just emailed her to see if she'd be ok with me stopping by sometime tomorrow....so you'll all have to be patient along with me til I can get some pics of him!

I told her it was cuz I bought a halter and wanted to put it on him to make sure it fit. I lied. I just wanna squeeze him. lol

PS - so about the halter, I got a "weanling" size (Tractor Supply is pretty limited) and it said "Weanling/Large Pony" --- which, in my mind doesn't make too much sense, but I bought it - it looks like it would fit him - anyone have any other suggestions for size equivalents?

I so totally suck at buying the right sized halters. I always buy them toooo big then have to poke extra holes in them. I finally measured the ones they wear now with them adjusted properly and I take my sewing measuring tape to the store and just measure them. I can never order them online without ending up with halters that aren't even close to the right size, lol. The ones I am using now are weanling size with extra holes put in them. I have a class B gelding and a class A mare with a class B sized head, lol. I think the horse foal halter probably would have fit them better but these were a gift and, you know, I don't want to look a gift horse (or halter) in the mouth.

I can't wait to see pics of him.

Now as to halter size. If Sam is a MINI then I would think the halter will probably be too big.

Weanling/large pony is the size my 600# Welsh pony wore. My daughter's friend has an adorable Mini that she was going to let borrow Charlotte's leather/silver show halter and it was way too big. Foal size would probably be closer to what you need for a Mini.

See, that's the thing that confused me. The halter is FULL of contradictions...it says "Weanling/Large Pony" - which, first of all, doesn't make sense. I have hardly seen a large pony with the same size head as a weanling. Anyway, then the weight size (which I forgot to mention) said 200-300 pounds! Well, if I had to guess i'd say he weighed between 200-250 ish. So that's where I figured it in.

Then, I went online tonite, found a site that sells mini halters, and had the measurements in the description, and it was the same as this halter I got. So, we'll see!! :)

Oh, ps. I'm going out there between 1-2 tomorrow. I hope. A coworker is coming to ride around 11, hopefully I can kick him out the door in time to get there.

Edited by spacytracy

Tracy,

Congratulations on new pony, I hope your daughter is as excited as you are, will be looking forward to pictures. I hope Sambo works well for you, I wouldn't change his name to be politically correct, if you like the name. Best Wishes. PD

Thanks PD!

I figure "Sam" is a good alternative. I have a few black friends and i would hate for them to think I named him! lol - they know I'm not like that but I would feel awkward yelling out his name to call him!!!

So, here are some pics! And the halter fit pretty well, thank goodness!

P1100730.jpg

P1100734.jpg

P1100739.jpg

Now, here's the hard part. How do I get him home? I don't have a trailer! The lady said she's seen many unusual ways of getting minis home, and we do have an F150 with a cap....buttttt....has that ever been done? Is it safe?

Edited by spacytracy