Sign in to follow this  
OTTB-LUVER

People Disgust Me!

In March there was a horse flea market in my area. I went with Elsbet and a couple of her friends. She bought 2 leather halters hoping to find one to fit her Jabbaar. One was too small so she gave it to me today for my mini. The halter had been a show halter, and the seller said that she removed the silver pieces.

I was playing with the halter on my way home, and I sliced my finger open on a VERY sharp little piece of metal on the inside of one of the cheeck pieces.

When I got home I went over the inside of the halter very carefully. All together I found 8 sharp little metal spikes hiding in the leather. They had been driven into the leather from the top, in such a way as to hide them under the show silver. 2 in each of the cheeck pieces, and in the nose piece, and 2 very carefully hidden in the jowl piece.

The halter is a western show halter and looks about yearling size. Why is is that people choose to cause pain, rather than taking a few extra days to TRAIN them??? [bang Head]

I'm just VERY happy that I cut myself, and found the metal spikes, BEFORE I put this on my mini!

Edited by OTTB-LUVER

That's actually a sick trick to the horse to be more responsive to you. They were probably roofing tacks. I've seen them in show halters, nosebands and under the big nosebands on some rodeo halters used for breeding. What I've seen that I thought was meanest was the installation of roofing tacks on a stallion belt.

Take the tacks out and enjoy the halter. People that have to resort to this method are clearly off a bit.

Too bad you can't go back and give that lady a piece of your mind! The least she could have done is take those tacks out before she sold the halter! What if some one had bought it and put it on thier yearly and the yearling freaked out? Glad you found them before you put it on your mini. Edited by Itchysmom

That is so sad! I hope those people get reincarnated as horses and have to wear these halters themselves! One way or another stuff like this will come back to bite them, the sooner the better! I sure hope that when they get done improving things with the Tennessee Walkers, that they take a hard look at other things going on. I'd never heard of this before and it is disgusting! So sneaky!

I wouldn't be able to enjoy the halter anymore. I would throw it out, just from feeling badly for the horse that had to wear it before, but that's just me.

Oh boy, I'm afraid to ask...what's a stallion belt? What the poor guy graduated to when he out grew the halter? Ugh!

Edited by missyclare

Hey, OTTB - I haven't responded to your PM yet, but I will publicly say here that I am very sorry for not going over the halter myself, before I gave it to you. Truthfully, it never even made it around Jabbaar's nose because I KNEW it was too small. After that, I just never gave it a second thought. And then just last week I was thinking about if I knew anyone with a small horse that could use it and I thought of you. Again, I should have gone over it first and I really am sorry I didn't. I feel terrible!

Guys, if I knew the person who sold it to me, or I had noticed the tacks WHEN I bought that halter, believe me - ALL of us would have given her a rough time over it! That's just WRONG!

Maybe...just maybe...they weren't really introduced as inducers of pain...rather, something left over when they pulled the silver off and they simply failed to put it back together correctly?

Really reaching here...because I just cannot imagine that someone would need to do that with a weanling/yearling! Eek!

That's actually a sick trick to the horse to be more responsive to you. They were probably roofing tacks. I've seen them in show halters, nosebands and under the big nosebands on some rodeo halters used for breeding. What I've seen that I thought was meanest was the installation of roofing tacks on a stallion belt.

Take the tacks out and enjoy the halter. People that have to resort to this method are clearly off a bit.

Wow! I don't know what a 'rodeo halter' OR a 'stallion belt'.

Having worked in both the rodeo and breeding industry ... I wish you'd enlighten me, Felda. I feel like I missed a graduate course. [Question]

Maybe...just maybe...they weren't really introduced as inducers of pain...rather, something left over when they pulled the silver off and they simply failed to put it back together correctly?

............gotta tell you.........that was MY first thought too.......

CR

At first I thought they might have been left over too. They were to well placed/hidden tho.

I've managed to get 6 of the 8 out, once I get the other two out I will use it. It's a nice leather halter, and it will get some good karma :tongue9: .

I don't think the woman who sold the halter knew about it. She had TONS of used leather halters, all types and descriptions. I guess she got them at auction?

Els - You have NO reason to apologize!!! Why would you expect to find sharp little metal spikes in a halter??? I can't say I would have looked it over with a fine tooth comb if I hadn't cut myself. I'm just glad you didn't put it on the WebKinz!!! We wouldn't want that handsome face scarred :winking:

I posted this because I was so suprized and disgusted by the fact that someone would do that. I've read about all kinds of things, but never seen it up close. I guess seeing it up close is different.

PS- I'm lost on the Stallion Belt too!! Enlighten us please Felda!

I think she means a bronc halter? With the big nose band? But what the heck a stallion belt is, I don't know? [Question]

A bronc halter was the word I was looking for. A particular trainer here used one with tacks as a breeding halter for when he would bring his studs out to the mare. The tacks were nailed right through the widest part of the leather. A couple of people caught onto the idea and imitated it themselves.

The stallion belt is a belt that is put around the stud to make it unpleasent for him to "daydream" about things he'd rather be doing. The nicer way I've seen this done was to just simply tie string around the the horse's belly and hang a hard bristle brush from it, but the roofing tack belt was a new one to me when I saw that at a WP barn.

I too have seen the tacks on a stallion belt.. It was at a state fair in TN on a handsome bay Tennessee Walker stud. Poor guy. But, you also have to consider it was 1 of those big fine & fancy big lick show with all the nice 4" pads & chains & the really long shank bits & nice pointy rowled spurs.. even some of the tails were broken & set. [bang Head]

Wow...I can't believe how cruel people are! :twitch:

Here's one for you too.....

I bought a gelding last fall that has his two front teeth missing on top. I have no idea how he lost them. It could have been an accident. But, a shipper I spoke with mentioned that she knew a techinique used on cribbers where a screwdriver is pushed up in between these two front teeth to loosen them so it hurts when the horse trys to cribs. Sometimes the teeth get "popped" out! :twitch: I had never heard of anything like that! [bang Head] Oh, and my gelding does spent a bit of time licking the wooden rail around the feeder after eating his feed. I'll never really know but it sure makes me wonder.........

Wow! Learn something new every day! And it's not always good!

The things people do to take shortcuts never cease to amaze me.

And what's with the stallion belt? Why would a person discourage *********** in a stallion or gelding? Heck, our geldings do it too, not just our stallion? On average, a stallion may do it 15-20 times in a 24 hour period. How sad that someone resorts to barbaric tactics to discourage it! Now if they are doing it while in hand or under saddle, heck yes! Smack that puppy back into place but while at liberty?

[bang Head]

And what's with the stallion belt? Why would a person discourage *********** in a stallion or gelding?

*********** is discouraged in breeding stallions because they have a limited amount of semen. A stallion with a full book, that's masturbating constantly, isn't going to be able to cover/impregnate as many mares.

I'm not in the least surprised about the halter unfortunately. But I am disgusted! Again.

Edited by ExtraHannah