Sign in to follow this  
HalterQT

Houston

Hubby might be going to Houston after the hurricane to help clean up and what not.

If he does, i'll go also to see if i can help at the aspca.

Does anyone know anything about it?? When is the storm supposed to hit? when will it be over? I want to get there as quickly as i can to help but there is no information for those who want to volunteer.

Ike is expected to make landfall on the coast at or around Galveston Island sometime early Saturday morning. We are supposed to start seeing the leading edge of wind and rain by noon tomorrow (Friday). All of that may change... they keep updating it as it gets closer to shore.

When will it be over? That's anybody's guess at this point. Depends on how fast the storm moves once it reaches land. Traveling at about 8 mph now, but could speed up or slow down.

I get most of my info from one of the local tv stations. They post most of what they cover on their website at www.khou.com, so you should be able to gauge when to come from their coverage.

We're just west of Houston, outskirts of Katy. We're evacuating tomorrow, mainly because we don't think our horses will be safe at the stable where we board them if things get really bad. Since we recently bought a trailer, we'll use this as our shakedown cruise for our move later this year. Taking the dogs and the cats, too -- they won't like it, I'm sure. Have to leave the fish and the turtles -- but as my husband says, they can swim. LMAO!

Hopefully, we'll have a house to return to after Ike passed through! :twitch:

Thanks, HalterQT. I contacted another HC member in response to her post in another thread. She has a pasture near San Antonio we can turn the horses out in. She can't put us up, though, so we'll bunk in our trailer if we can't find a motel room. Only need to do this for a night or 2, so we'll manage.

yellow rose -- Didn't see your post before we left town. Thanks for your offer anyway. We did okay staying in the trailer at quarterpaint's. I'm going to thank her officially in the other thread. She ran an extension cord out for us so we could run our 2 fans and gave us access to a toilet, so we managed just fine. Friends of hers invited us over for dinner. Everyone's hospitality was wonderful and greatly appreciated.

The horses had a ball. My husband's gelding had been on stall rest for a week, so he and my mare made up for lost time running around half the night together -- after they'd gotten their fill of pasture grass. LOL! Quarterpaint and her hubby enjoyed watching them for quite some time before they went to bed. My cats spent the night taking turns watching qp's horses from the trailer window. They'd never seen horses before. LOL

We got home yesterday and consider ourselves very fortunate. No damage to our house and we have power and water. We could have stayed, but I'm glad we didn't!

The miracle is hardly any lives lost! TV stated earlier that only 8 deaths so far -- latest a man in Arkansas killed by a falling tree.

Thank you, everyone, for your prayers for myself and the people effected by this storm. Many people still need those prayers. I'm praying power and water are restored soon to everyone. If you aren't in a humid climate, you may have NO IDEA how uncomfortable it can get here without a/c!