lailport

Horse May Have Eatten Bailing Twine

So I fed my horses last night in the dark because I had to work late. When I went out to feed this morning I noticed there was only one bailing twine in my wheel barrel. I figured I would find the other one in the pasture where I fed....no such luck.

Has anyone ever come across this before with their horses? What did you do? I looked around everywhere for where it could have gone and did not see anything.

Thanks for any advise or comments any may have.

Call the vet ASAP - I have seen a horse accidentally eat 4-5" of twine and he had his bowel become impacted because of it. It can be life-threatening.

[Angel] that none of them actually ate it. I had a filly grab one off the ground one day. She wouldn't let me catch her for a few minutes. I opened her mouth, didn't see it.

Called the vet, just as they answered she spit it out in a little ball.

So you might go check the pasture again and look for a chewed up ball of twine. Otherwise, call the vet and ask advice.

I've had the same thing happen to me, but mine were always sitting in the bottom of the stall the next day. It seems they're usually smart enough not to eat it, but obviously from what others have said it happens. :confused0024:

My horse ate about 3 feet of vinyl marking ribbon once. He suffered no ill affects from it though. Never came out the other end either. He eats anyting left hwere he can reach it. [surrender]

La., Rosie ate some of that once, too. It was just a small piece, like 3 inches long. I found it in her poop!

I never leave baling twine laying around, ever. I am very careful to get each strand. The baling twine I have now is that plastic stuff that won't even rot away!

I even worry about the little cut ends of it that sometimes get left in a bale when it's baled.