wrangler

Ryan Gingrich

The thing that bothers me the most about Gingrich is that he seems to go out of his way to avoid a tried an true method. On what I believe might be his best worst show ever was the trailer loading of the big grey horse where he said something to the effect "some people use sticks and they use these harsh rope halters that just cause pain, I prefer to use the web halter and a lariat through it over the nose (????????) or a bit in their mouth for control." Does this seem nonsense to anyone else? That horse pulled away from him several times (on the aired version, who knows how many times before the editing) and don't get me started on the way the horse was constantly nibbling and crowding the owner. And he never corrected that behavior. AND the owner? Missing a few circuits there.

But lets not forget the episode in which the two women where trying to saddle a small horse, it was like a Laurel and Hardy show (sorry, that really dates me but it fits) he said he had to take that horse for an extended lesson..........

I can't believe his success, it leads me to believe there are a lot of Laurel and Hardy horse owners out there, who don't know any better than to listen to him.

I am a sucker for horse shows and at least check them out to see what the topic is, and do like to watch Clinton, anybody see the one with the "spooky" horse the lady brought into the arena and Clinton said "I like his haircut" the lady, in preparation fort he show, had cut the horses forelock straight off just above his eyes.....priceless! Very humerous

Ryan has a show because he has found a way to fund it and air it on RFDTV. I could care less what kind of equipment he uses because in reality you can train a horse with a dog collar and piece of smooth wire.

My problem is that Ryan doesn't have any timing and honestly doesn't seem to know his way around a horse. Someone that watches his show and tries to duplicate what he does WILL get their head kicked in and be severely or fatally injured.

It's not about the gimmicks! It's about TRUE HORSEMANSHIP. This guy looks to be a backyard horseman that needs alot more colts under his belt before he tries to teach everyone else how to do it. That's how I learned. You have to get out there and do it. That's how Cheri, Cutter and JG learned too. I would much rather watch them work a horse than most of the guys on tv.

I am new to all this horse training stuff and I'm trying to decide who to watch on these tv shows. I have watched afew of Clinton Andersons shows and alot of it makes sense. Does he ever cover how to turn a barn sour horse around? My mare is pregnant at the moment and I want to learn as much as I can while she is unrideable. She has not been ridden in like 3 years. I don;t know....I just adopted her back in Jan. I want to work with her myself...I can't afford some fancy trainer. What do you ladies think I should do??? [Question]

Well, I'm not a lady, but I'll offer you my 2 cents Shawnee-girl. Watch everybody that you can expose yourself to. What you will soon find is that some trainers or clinicians seem to make sense to you while others, not so much. Personality is nearly as important as the knowledge when you are the student. You will certainly discover common threads in just about every horseman's program. There are things that work, and things that don't. Some people may get away with things that many others would condemn and avoid. You want to take horsemanship as a grand learning experience. Everyone will have an opinion and just about everyone you meet who owns a horse will style themselves as a competent "expert" on any subject they feel like talking about. It is wise to listen to everyone and at least be polite. Take what you hear, add it to your ever expanding toolbox of knowledge or ideas and then apply what works best for you and your horse. Now I will say that at the beginning of this journey into horsemanship it would be a good idea to find one person that you seem to click with. Learn as much about "their" particular program as you can and follow along using the steps they recommend. The reason that this is so important is that most things we want to teach our horses really need to be taught in order, so that the next skill builds on what is already learned. If you just go out there and randomly attempt to apply a technique that tickles your fancy that day, your horse might not be prepared or have an adequate foundation to do what you are asking of him.

Welcome to Horsecity by the way.

William (historyrider)

Ditto Wrangler, There is so much more to training than what methods one uses. Many folks have been around horses for 20-30 years and this of course helps as far as experience, but being a trainer that has delt with every problem concievable that they have to deal with is a hands on experience from training hundreds of horses over usually many years. It just takes it to another level. The thing to me that is scary about alot of these trainers, is it's like a catch all. There is no consideration of what type of animal are folks really dealing with. How much sense does this horse have between the ears, what kind of tolerance level does he have, is the horse a light weight with pressure, these are things if one is working with a horse needs to consider. Crazy louie may never make a trail horse , no matter how much time one puts in him.

I am new to this too . Every horse I ever dealt with came trained and ready to go till I got my gelding. I watched shows on RFD , read the advice here in horse city and took what what was common among all the stuff I could get. You will weed out things and people who just dont make sense. Gingrich doesnt make sense. One thing I can tell you and you will see it in horse city from time to time, Is be confident and consistent with whatever you do. All animals respond to being consistant and confidence . Gingrich isnt either . He confuses me I could only imagine what a horse feels.

I dont have a ton of expierience but the advice from here in horse city prbably saved me from making serious maybe even deadly misatakes to me and my gelding. It also helped keep it fun and challenging. DONT RUSH !!!

Wow ... this thread is timely for me.

A friend mentioned RG and said he lived here locally. The point of her story was he stopped by her farm (she's a third generation horsewoman) and told her he was the local John Lyons certified guy. She said he seemed upset when she was less than impressed.

She also reported on his demo at the state equine council annual shindig was plagued by his reluctance to choose to work with problem horses. He culled all but the easiest animal to work with and then proceeded NOT to progress with him.

I checked his website last night and was .... frankly stunned by what I saw and didn't see. I mean .... I'd approach him with my card offering lessons to a guy who thinks the first two steps to teaching the stop is use the left rein to stop the LF foot and the right rein to stop the RF foot.

He also stood toe to toe with a horse and spoke of moving the horse's right foot. This is on the DVDs he wants to sell you for any problem you can mention. He then proceeds to get the horse to move his left foot.

It's the little things that are off putting. Where there are misconceptions like that there are bigger misconceptions.

Some fun stick horse proposals. Glad to 'see ' you back, Cutter!

Our shows did have a class just for you , Cutter,one year-stick horse cutting. My friend Kathy who does some cutting (using a horse! ), attached a hammer on the end of her Stick horse, and got down low on him in front of a poor cow who was wondering what in heck that combo was doing! . Actually, they had some catty moves! Kathy's mount had a name that suited him to a T-Hammerhead !

Never had a chance to see this person discussed in the post , but now that we have high speed internet finally, maybe a TV dish is next! Probably are the last few mortals to have a TV antenna !

Some fun stick horse proposals. Glad to 'see ' you back, Cutter!

Our shows did have a class just for you , Cutter,one year-stick horse cutting. My friend Kathy who does some cutting (using a horse! ), attached a hammer on the end of her Stick horse, and got down low on him in front of a poor cow who was wondering what in heck that combo was doing! . Actually, they had some catty moves! Kathy's mount had a name that suited him to a T-Hammerhead !

Never had a chance to see this person discussed in the post , but now that we have high speed internet finally, maybe a TV dish is next! Probably are the last few mortals to have a TV antenna !

[ROTFL]

I have tried and tried to watch him, but by the time I put in 5 minutes, I just have to change the channel. He is absolutely un-watchable.

like a fella in montana said , they use the "two pull " method starting horses . Pull up your cinch , and pull down your hat . cutter has this cool chicken , she's also a "chicken whisperer" . I think she's out of the roundpen now with him , and is letting him stand on the railings of the barn . You can use a photo of doofy , for your tv show's opening scene . He'll love it

I dont have a chicken anymore. I am now an experienced chicken wrangler. I re-homed him!!!! It required a fishing net and a towel and a nighttime ride in my convertable. hahahahahahaaaaaa

I loved him very much but he kept pooping on the hay! He just had to go.

Hi Smilie! LOL stick horse cutting is fun! Don will do it once in a while to make a point to a non pro. It is hilarious to watch.

Too bad we couldn't get video of that... [Crazy] [Question]

The mental picture is too [ROTFL] .

This is just toooooo funny. My wife and I watch this show as a comedy. Every now and again I actually fuss at the TV!

Here is a post from the very same discussion on this board back in Jan 08. It was after one of his first shows that featured a paint that need help. You will be very amused.

Lee

The post from Jan 08

Here is an update, I sent RFD an email stating my disliking to the show and that I would like to see better programing. They decided to send my email to Mr Gingerich. He sent me an email back that basically said, I was shallow and narrow minded because I didn't agree with his methods. He told me that no one else can achieve results like he can and that these horses in his show were destined for the meat house without him.

So this is what I sent back to him. Please tell me if I am off base or to critical. I would ask that you also email RFD if you like or dislike the programming. It is our only source of weekly entertainment devoted to horses and would hate to see it full of programming like this.

Mr Gingerich

Where to start, first off for you to make the statement that" you can do what no one else can" for problem horses tells me a lot about you.

Your assumption that I would rather have a horse sent to slaughter or put down is completely out of line. I saw nothing in your show that would have given me a moments thought that the Paint horse needed to go to a slaughter house. I know over a dozen local trainers " that don't have a TV show" that take in horses like this every month. I do have an open mind but what I saw was dangerous for you and the horse. Since you now have a TV show you have the responsibility to teach the public safe and productive training methods.

I did not call you an amateur, I stated that I thought they should look for a more experienced horseman. Note I said "horseman" or horsewomen

I did watch your show again and with the "limited depth of my state of mind" I made a few notes.

Holding the lead way too close to the horses halter

You always had pressure on the lead, pulling the horse on top of you and never "letting" the horse stand

You coiled the lead in your hand, great way to get broken fingers

You put your hand under the halter, a big no no, more broken fingers

You switched to a lariat and held the coils, maybe a broken hand

You placed a nervous, 1200 pound flight-instinctive animal between you and a fence, maybe more broken bones

To sum this up, by your actions she now felt way to trapped and cornered to teach her anything. A horse learns very little or possibly nothing while in flight mode. You only have those moments in between to reach them. You missed a few times to reward her in just the short segments I saw on the show. She was trying so hard to trust you and you were overacting and slamming the halter when she took one step. She needed you to stand calmly and let her see you weren't chasing or stalking her. This can be accomplished by using a 20 foot lead and a smaller pen, or no lead and a round pen.

I also noticed how calmly she would stand while you spoke to the camera, she felt okay if your back was to her and you weren't pulling on the lead. What does that tell you?

I will state again that I never saw anything that would lead me to believe this horse needed to be slaughtered. What I did see was a horse that needed consistency. She needed to be desensitized from base level, like a 2 yr old that had been barely handled. Start over, find the holes and fix them. She has been handled by too many different people without the patience and understanding. She doesn't need a "stop and go" cue yet, first get the trust, then come in closer when she's ready. She needs proper round pen methods and desensitizing, I did not say run her round and round, but to let her choose to be with you. The only way to teach her to think before she uses the flight mode is to let her use it but show her she doesn't have to. One of my horses got his halter caught on a eye bolt today. It was enough to freak him out, I walked over to him "fast walk" and when I got there he quieted down and allowed me to undo the mess. He felt safer because I was there. He knew I wasn't causing his distress and trusted me. I think you are so stuck on being different that you have pushed aside techniques and tools that are proven to work. I have no doubt that you have worked with many horses and trainers. I would also bet you have some really good horses. I do not however agree with your techniques you displayed in this show and I will look for other trainers on RFD-TV to watch. Good luck with your show.

Lee

I got another email from this guy today. He reckons maybe I haven't dived on his DVD offer is cause I'm broke and is beggin' me not to put my horse at risk by not taking advantage of these golden opportunities that his DVDs hold.

10% off .... that ought to do the trick.

Do you suppose theres no more room for excellent marketers in the horse world?

[ROTFL]

did anyone see his most recent show about the horse ,an apparent spoiled horse, with trail issues ? The horse and rider both looked confused at what he was trying to convey.

He doesnt create confidence or appear to have confidence . I didnt see anyting there that a novice couldnt spot . As long as the person had the confidence ,which should come from a good trainer , or good sound advice , that person should be able to iron out the issues from this show.

Does he have any backgound ? [Crazy] He seems nervous ,maybe it is the way he is. He seems to be trying to do and say everyting in his head in personable manner in to short of time. thus causes the feeling of cinfusion and instills lack of confidence. (KINDA LIKE MY TYPING)

I do notice his postioning around the horses ,specially horses he doesnt know . One day ,if he keeps doing the same thing it's gonna get him . I'd like to see how he handles himself when he does get walked on . Or the horse turns on him before he can stop it.

I would like to see him do a show , with his best horse and see what he can do!

Heck I'd like to see a serries of shows where they take a novice and a green broke and no trainer ,just instruction from some sort of media and see how long that horse comes around . So many people train from what they see or read , I did, with out a trainer .It might not be perfect but from what I can tell I am on the right track.

I was talking to a buddy of mine who is traveling around with one of the big name clinicians to all the horse expos around the country. They ran into Ryan recently in the midwest at one of these deals and said that he was awful. It was quite comical I hear. My buddy said that Ryan's father I think it is has the money that's backing him. So he is spending the $100k to air his show on RFDTV. He really doesn't have sponsors like the other guys. He is trying to make himself big. The problem with that is that again he doesn't have the "experience" to back himself up. You can't BUY experience and knowledge.

I would sponsor JG's tv show!!! The first episode would have to be how to train your miniature horse to do dressage!! LOL

If ya'll are bored? Go to this guy's website.

It'll ask you to fill out a questionaire about your horse, including what his problem is.

I said "Green"

I dare somebody to say "Alive" and see if he still wants to sell you DVDs.

Just out of curiosity, does anyone else get emails from this guy (or his site, whatever)? For the life of me I cannot figure out why I get them! I've never been to his site, nor signed up for them on another site. I don't think. I don't even get RFDtv.

The only place I ever see his ads are here. :confused0024:

If ya'll are bored? Go to this guy's website.

It'll ask you to fill out a questionaire about your horse, including what his problem is.

I said "Green"

I dare somebody to say "Alive" and see if he still wants to sell you DVDs.

Sounds like fun. I never could pass up a dare.

I'll let you know what happens.

Here's what I wrote in my "questioneere".

My horse is a 10 year old Arabian gelding. I purchased him at 4 months old. My goal was to show him as a western pleasure stallion and stand him at stud. He is very talented and was successful in the show ring, but I just couldn't afford to promote him as a stallion. It also seemed a waste to have this wonderful stallion standing in the backyard basically doing nothing even though he was so easy going and laid back. I gelded him two years ago and his personality changed afterward.

He would never ever spook or shy at anything before, and now he seems more aware of what's going on around him and will occaisionally spook a little... it's like he's more "alive" or something. I'm not sure how to get past this.

Ok... apparantly I can solve this problem myself with the help of Ryan's DVDs.

It's a good thing too, because I sure couldn't afford to send my horse for training.

$1200 for training

$250. for board (board is in addition to training)

$420. minimum for mandatory lessons for me

and then another $300 total if I want my horse blanketed and groomed.

Who does this guy think he is?

You all know ,Any publicity is good publicity . I'd expect ,because of this string that he is getting more viewers , although not for the reasons he would have intended.

Tell me if I am right or wrong here ,but is it safe to assume that over 70% of horse owners check out Horsecity?

If this is the case then wouldn't it be safe to assume (bad word assume ,I know) someone has told him about this critique ?

Better yet I wonder if any of his clients have seen this string. I havent seen his web site yet but you can bet I will look.

You can mention any other high profile trainer and someone in horsecity has been to thier clinics or seen them first person expierience. I havent heard anyone who has had direct training from him . Only second person. Yet he gets these testimonials on his show! WOW it'sa miracle the things he can make a horse do. Even though he has a disclaimer is he still liable if someone directly mimicks his training techniques?

Gee Dad I saw R>G> do this on his show . I tried it and now I have a knott on my head . Actually are all high profile trainers somewhat liable?for their shows? Cept thier techniques are actually credible.

I don't think 70% of horse owners visit Horsecity. You're assuming 70% of horse owners access the internet and know about Horsecity.com let alone take the time to read the bulletins. [Crazy]

wrangler ,

why wouldn't you want to train minature ponies , for dressage ? I would love to see that , roundpens with 2' tall fences

Now JG! I believe I told you that you can train your OWN horse if you purchase the "My Perfect Pony" Training Kit that can be found on my website! It comes with the picture ID cards that you can use to match up the training tool to the location it goes on your horse! They are even color coded! For example the purple picture of the saddle matches up to the purple picture of the horse's back!! Pretty Clever eh?!

Now for the small fee of $998.79 you too can train your own horse!!!

Being I know just a tad above basic horse training,I love watching Ryan he makes me feel like the Nations best horse trainer!!LOL!!

I watched him last night this lady has a Buckskin QH who has issues on trails,he took Dreamer too his barn,and was just yanking on the horses face so much the owner asked "why are you so heavy on the bit?"LOL!!He gave an explanation,the poor lady just looked at him like ***?

He is priceless!!

Before this gets too much farther, let me throw in a friendly reminder.

Lets make sure we keep this to his methods only.

Thank God all you people spoke up. I refuse to watch his show. Especially with so many good shows I find on RFD-TV. This man calls himself a "Behaviorist". Yet, the only behavior he seems to exploit is the poor people I see on his show. They all seem to think he is some kind of genius or savior. Unbeleivable. I'm not one to speak ill of anybody. Including RFD-TV for having his show on. I think he serves as a perfect example of what not to do. Of course, he shows so little that it's hard to comment on his methods. But, he has a poor choice of equipment and timing.

I remember one show where he told the owner of her horse not to use rope halters and to use soft lead lines so it don't burn your hands when they slip through them. Also, he uses a short Dressage whip. All of these tools are useless in training a disrespectful horse. Anyway, it's nice to know you people are an educated herd. This guy only serves as an example of what not to do and how not to do it. But, please don't hold it against RFD-TV. They are a great channel. They introduced me to Clinton Anderson, Chris Cox, Craig Cameron, Julie Goodnight, Ken McNabb, and some really good shows on farming and agriculture. RFD-TV is the only reason why I kept the sattelite dish hooked up.