Sign in to follow this  
UsaEqGurl

Educational Toys, Tv For Baby

I'm all for constructive play and managed educational television for young children. For example, let a kid watch a half-hour of 'Dora the Explorer' or use a LeapPad story. But the recent surge of educational DVDs, programs, toys for babies and toddlers, urging parents to give their babies and very young kids a head start with music, colors, langauge, etc. really gets to me. Watching a television screen can be harmful to a baby's eyes. It isn't constructive. And is a baby REALLY absorbing anything when he hears Mozart and sees an animated giraffe on screen? What happened to constructive play? A parent spelling out words with blocks or telling a story with puppets? Maybe all this 'educational' stuff is all right for toddlers and in limited amounts. But all this? And in such amounts? PLEASE. The Baby Einstein line makes me sick. I really do think if parents aren't careful, it will have a harmful effect.

Constructive play with parents? Really? How many parents do you know who choose to/are able to stay home and raise their own kids? I can't see many day cares doing that much constructive play.

I think there are a lot of parents who for whatever reason, use that stuff so they DON'T have to interact with their kids.

Just me though. I wasn't raised w/ all that and most of my friends who have kids either stay at home and they do a lot of one on one or they're in daycare...and who knows.

Perhaps some folks just aren't "natural" parents. Perhaps they don't know what to do or how to teach so they look to these tools to help them. Perhaps some fall prey to the enormously successful marketing of these things.

Perhaps some folks really believe these things will make their children smarter and they want to do all they can to give their kids a leg up on life.

Perhaps some just like electronic babysitters.

Perhaps the truth is a bit of all of the above and a bit more...

There is quite a bit of evidence that those types of educational TV are not helpful to children. I wish I still had the articles from my developmental psych class for you guys to read. They basically said young children don't process what they see on the TV the same way they do with interaction from parents. The amount of information they actually retain from TV is minimal compared to actual interaction with adults.

I'm not a parent myself, but I think parents forget how important it is to spend as much time and bond with their kids as much as they possibly can. When it isn't possible, getting a good babysitter or daycare where children get personal attention is important. Unfortunately, the TV gets turned on as a babysitter for whatever reason and kids don't get the attention they need. I'm not saying every child should be doted over and have an adult to themselves at all times, but children need adult interaction. Taking that class really changed my mind about how I'm going to parent my children when I have them, or at least I say that now we'll see what happens when they're here. :smilie:

Hello everyone,

I want to give some educational toys to my friend's kids but I don't know any good educational toys.

So please suggest me some good educational toys?

Thanks in advance.

Educational Toys for kids

Edited by ketty1234

In Australia?  Not sure.  You probably can buy German toys.  Our favorite ones are made by Haba.  Really, what you want are safe toys.  All toys are good for motor development.  Try not to be sold up on gadgets.  Stay away from toddler "computers".  Little ones don't need screen time.  They usually get too much as it is.  

That covers little ones.  If you're friends kids are older, creative toys are great.  Playmobil sets are a lot of fun.  Lots of toys for kids to build are out there for the 8-10 year olds.  Those are great.  Doesn't matter if they are boys or girls.   Best thing to do is check the age level on the packages.

Edited by little cow