kycowboy722

Let's See Your Driving Horse.

Wow! Everyone's horses look amazing! I especially like the one of the combined driving! That looks like something I'd enjoy! Talk about an adrenaline rush!!

Here's my Sunshine, 6 yo Belgian mare:

100_0465.jpg

100_0477.jpg

And she doesn't just drive, she's a great riding horse too! Nice for picking up a passenger or two!

100408_135200.jpg

All these different breeds being represented is wonderful. This is one of the reasons I love this discipline so much.

Bad bad mini owners taunting my craving with your beautiful pictures : - )

Love the big boys and girls too. Keep em all coming

Bess - I don't blame you for waiting on the hitching - Yowsa those are some heels

I don?t have horses that drive but 2 of my minis do.

This was Blue at his training evaluation a few years ago. He passed, lol.

blue2.jpg

Trig being hooked up for his second drive last spring. Still hasn?t had his evaluation but took to it all like he?d been doing it forever.

trig1.jpg

Awesome pictures! I thought I would share one or two of our pony that we drive occasionally.

Here are pics of our pony, Jenny being driven by my daughter and my nephew. This is at the State Fair.

ponyshows379.jpg

ponyshows386.jpg

ponyshows395.jpg

Ironbess,

Can you tell me more about your action shots? That looks really interesting and like a real blast.

Here is my 21 Yr old TWH Bo. He was shown a cart and harness for the first time that im aware of this summer, he hitched right up and went down the road like he had been doing it all his life. I took him to a local Amish friend i had met recently to have them give both me and Bo a driving lesson and show us some tips etc. for safety reasons. I needed it much more than Bo did. He just needed to learn to pull against the weight with heavier loads or wagons. Now he pulls me around in our "new" used meadowbrook cart and also in our Antique sleigh. He also is a bombproof (as bombproof as a horse can really be) road and trail horse. He does everything , even team penning !!He is so fun and is my best friend in the whole world. I love him.

sonny040.jpg

Here he is with our meadowbrook cart , this was taken the first time we went for a ride in it, the second time he was ever hitched.

MeandBowithournewCart009.jpg

Boinharness005.jpg

Here is a video of him driving this summer, one of his first few driving experiences, practice in the hayfield for me so i would feel more comfortable on the road.

Bo driving cart in hay field

Here he is pulling his sleigh for the first time. I bought this sleigh last year and after minor tinkering it is now road and trail ready. We went for a hour long ride down my neighbors ATV trails in the mature blue spruce forest, it was a winter wonderland. The sleigh goes fantastic, i guess its called a cutter cause they cut through the snow drifts easily.

Boandhisantiquesleigh001.jpg

Boandhisantiquesleigh002.jpg

Boandhisantiquesleigh003.jpg

Here he is undersaddle in a parade where they shot full size cannons off right next to us unexpectedly, all he did was get more prancy, didnt even crow hop or anything !Such a good boy.

Nurse096.jpg

Edited by gaitedgirl

gaitedgirl, i knew that area looked familiar...hehe....i live about an hour from you. :)

ok, this is my pony toby. he was my WORLD. he was just everything to me. he still is. but he passed away mothers day 2007. i am so lost without him, he was always there for me. he was so amazing. not to say my other pony, the one i have gotten much closer to since toby died isnt amazing, but toby was just everything. he was a hackney welsh, but we seem to think he was all hackney.

this is my mom driving him in the sleigh with our instructor, stu. very fun

CIMG3557.jpg

me driving toby when about 9 i think with stu.

CIMG3545.jpg

oh gosh, i miss driving sooooo much now!

Ironbess,

Can you tell me more about your action shots? That looks really interesting and like a real blast.

Sure! They're all from various combined events. What would you like to know? :happy0203:

Ironbessflint, i see your from east lansing Mi. I lived all my life in Charlotte Mi til i joined the military in the mid 80's. My parents and sister still live in Charlotte/Olivet area. Small world huh.

gaitedgirl, i knew that area looked familiar...hehe....i live about an hour from you. :)

ok, this is my pony toby. he was my WORLD. he was just everything to me. he still is. but he passed away mothers day 2007. i am so lost without him, he was always there for me. he was so amazing. not to say my other pony, the one i have gotten much closer to since toby died isnt amazing, but toby was just everything. he was a hackney welsh, but we seem to think he was all hackney.

this is my mom driving him in the sleigh with our instructor, stu. very fun

CIMG3557.jpg

me driving toby when about 9 i think with stu.

CIMG3545.jpg

oh gosh, i miss driving sooooo much now!

I understand completely, that is how i feel about my Bo. I had a unexpected bout with Cancer a few years ago and at that time because we are milatary i had been waiting to get my first horse till hubby was retired from army. I had been expecting to get the cancer back at anytime and had severe depression even though i had beat the cancer. I decided after that not to wait since the hubby was supposed to be retiring in 2 more years back then . Bo saved me and gave me some stability and something to look forward to. I would spend hours out in the barn with him, just brushing him etc.. I loved even the smell of him. I had always wanted horses so badly it was painful. I got so bad near the end before i got bo that i couldnt even look at other people riding in fields along the roads cause i would be eaten up by jeoalousy and cry. Buying Bo (and hubby horse Sonny) was the best thing i had ever done. I dont work because of complications from radiation and surgeries (digestive type issues) so i am also lucky enough to have the time to devote to him

Sure! They're all from various combined events. What would you like to know? :happy0203:

What are they called? Is it some kind of timed obstacle coarse? A speed event? It does look like fun.

What are they called? Is it some kind of timed obstacle coarse? A speed event? It does look like fun.

Ah, okay...let me back up. A combined event is driving's version of eventing.

Day one has driven dressage, day two is marathon, and day three is cones. Dressage is, obviously, just like dressage. Tests resemble actual dressage tests, just altered for driving (and with larger dimensions), and it is scored like eventing dressage.

Day two is marathon, which is like the cross country portion of eventing, and involves "roads and tracks" for a distance, a vet check, the cross country portion with the hazards to gallop through, another vet check. There are optimum times for each of the three sections, with two or three minute windows depending. Section E is the exciting part, with the hazards. You trot between hazards, but there are faults for every second spent in a hazard. Each hazard has a number of gates to go through in order, and the number of gates increase with the level of event at which you're competing.

And if all goes well, on to day three, which replaces jumps with pairs of cones to go through. Balls rest on the cones, and touching the cone even slightly will knock the ball off, resulting in faults. Like in jumping, there is also a max time and drivers can incur time penalties.

Dressage score plus all the penalties from marathon and cones are combined, and the lowest scores wins.

So, these pictures are all from combined driving events - we've done Iron Horse CDE in Illinois, Metamora CDE in Michigan, Bromont in Quebec, and Black Prong and Sunshine State in Ocala.

Edited by ironbessflint

My horse and I do not do dressage. If we were interested in the other two aspects of your "eventing" do they do classes or shows just for those two parts on their own ? I would really like to practice at home and then go to a competition like that but my horse (and me) wouldnt know a half pass from a swift kick in the rear LOL.

Oh goodness, no worries about that! (you can't halfpass in a carriage unless you can figure out how to move a carriage laterally :winking: )

The higher levels of driven dressage require collection and extension, walk, trot, canter, as small as 10 meter circles, some one-handed work. At the lowest levels, all you have to be able to do is walk, trot a 40 meter circle, lengthen the trot across a diagonal, halt, and back up. You CAN do dressage.

But to answer your question, some driving show will occasionally offer a cones class or a cross country class (not a full marathon section), but rarely. There aren't events that offer "the rest" but no dressage. The dressage portion is designed to prove your horse has the training and obedience to go on to the rest. The tests are NOT hard. And to be blunt, if you can't do the basic figures of the dressage tests, you have no business going out on the marathon course. :winking:

Let me see if I can find diagrams of the dressage tests....

Edited by ironbessflint

Im screwed then. My horse does not walk or trot and is very unsteady at a canter. He only paces. He paces at slow, medium, and fast(very fast) then from there will break into a canter. Even in the pasture he never takes more than a stride or two in anything other than a pace and that is usually a stepping pace. He is a true pacer. The videos below he is going his normal slower pace (the same speed as what a non gaited eventing horse will do when trotting very fast). BTW: Im real proud of my horse because i did not introduce driving to him till this summer when he was 21 maybe even 22 yrs old. (I dont have his papers or previous owners names). He picked it up like he had been doing all his life. We drove down the road with traffic the very fist day he was ever hitched (after an hour in the field and on a dirt road to be sure he was road safe). He learned very quickly, that or he had experience a long time ago in a different life (I didnt buy him till he was all ready 15 yrs). He has no markings or freeze tatoos to show he had been on track but it wouldnt suprise me since he was terrified of whips and refused to canter when i first got him. He cantered after one day of me working with him he just is very unsteady with it so i dont ask him to do it, if we are trailriding and the rest canters off i ask for more speed, if he canters fine, if he paces thats fine too. I dont want to force it cause thats when he gets unsteady (flying lead changes and breaks down to pace then back up to canter etc..) I think he was beat everytime he cantered.

Here look at him in motion :Bo driving in field (third time driving ever)

This one might be easier to see with the snow : Bo and his new antique sleigh

Edited by gaitedgirl

I don?t come on to the driving board much, but I have an Standardbred Mare, we think maybe an x-racer. We have drove her a couple times. My Dad and I know little about driving, but my uncle has been driving horses all his life so we took her up and worked with her. She was already trained for driving when we got her. She is around 16 hands tall and 18 years old. I ride her more than I every drive her. She is at my uncle?s right now so he can work on driving her some more.

Welcome Sweet Pea These pictures are over the past couple years.

My Dad driving her, in my uncle?s homemade training cart.

Picture110.jpg

Just Sweet Pea

Image8.jpg

This is me riding Sweet Pea in 2007, I like never get riding pictures because I always have the camera in my hand.

SweetPea012-1.jpg

Woo Hoo - Another Standie person :happy0203:

Glad to see this topic get picked back up.

[smiley Wavey] HI!! I am new to the driving world. I have a coming 3 yr old Belgian Draft mare! She is amazing in the buggy.. I dont have a cart yet, so these pictures are taken of her with her last owner..

1225081703_0001.jpg

The day I tried and bought her:

010-2.jpg

009-2.jpg

008-4.jpg

006-4.jpg

Ok...be prepared for a bombardment of pictures...

I don't personally own these horses....but have worked with them for over 2 years and am one of the grooms on the carriage when we show. I have driven them though!

Yes, they are gypsy vanners. The wheelers are Jasmine and Esmeralda (2 of the original 16 vanners imported in the country in '96) and the leaders are Pie and Sky. We all belong to WR Ranch. =].

C'Mon Florida folks...who's the great guy driving??

StateFair09006.jpg

Thats ME!

StateFair09032.jpg

Continental09134.jpg

Continental09057.jpg

Continental09002.jpg

Continental09020.jpg

StateFair09039.jpg

We have a ton more than just those 4 that drive I'll have to find pictures of.

Whatcha think!?!

Looks like Bob Giles in the driver's seat. Great joke teller! :happy0203: It has been a while since I have seen him. I remember the two vanners when Joann Thorup was showing them. I think they were also driven tandem by Jean Paul Gautier.

Very nice - Always happy to see a pinto horse of any breed LOL - Welcome to the driving boards.

Eloise good to see you again. What have you been up to?

I've been away from my boys for a while but hope to start everybody up again this

weekend.

Looks like Bob Giles in the driver's seat. Great joke teller! :happy0203: It has been a while since I have seen him. I remember the two vanners when Joann Thorup was showing them. I think they were also driven tandem by Jean Paul Gautier.

Yup, thats Mr. Bob. He's the greatest.

Yes, Joann used to own Jazz and Essy...WR Ranch bought them from her and her husband, Bill (?).

ironbessflint: I thought that looked like SunShine State. And one of the hazards there looks like at Chester's place? LOVE CDE's! =]