urbancowgirl

Horse Drama

I had to go to my bank atm last night, and my parents needed to get a couple of things too so we all went out together.

We got back and I went out to feed the goats and I thought about checking on the horses. But I had already fed them for the night when I remembered that I hadn't closed the dry lot gate (we have a secondary gate that keeps them contained but lets them in the back pasture) but my dad walked by and shut the gate for me, so when I got done feeding the goats I still thought I ought to check on them so walk back out to the pen and saw that they had eaten most of their dinner, I couldn't see them but I thought I'd seen my mare Angie in the pen earlier so I figured her and Annie were hiding in the one corner of the pen where you can't see them (there favorite place to sleep) so I headed towards the house 'cause I was tired (had taken a bennadryl 3hrs. earlier) and wanted to crash for the night, dad was still looking for a part in the barn and decided to look out in the pen for the girls because he didn't actually see them when he shut the gate. They weren't there so he hollered back towards me that they weren't in the pen so then he help me start looking in the back pasture and we couldn't find them, so then we started to panic but figured that they were at the neighbors chatting with the other horses but we couldn't see them so then I totally freak out, I ran to the house and told my siblings the horses were lost, grab my keys and run back out the door and to the barn for halters and lead ropes.

by then mom got in the car and went to the east end of the street to block it off dad gets in the van with me and we take off to the west end of the street turn left and see a car coming for the other direction we flag him down and warn him that there are horses loose so drive carefully and he told us he had just seen them up the road in a neighbors yard we drive about another 50 yards and see them I jump out and walk up to them as calmly as possible and they looked a little nervous but they have always been easy to catch so I wasn't to worried about catching them but they just weren't calm enough yet and they trotted around me and back toward home they slowed down to a walk a little after they passed our van parked in the south bound lane, my little morgan mare Annie had just crossed the road and my big black clydesdale mare Angie is in the middle of the north bound lane and I'm standing in the south bound lane about ten yards behind the van as I hear my dad yell at the top of his voice, I look to my right and there was a little car headed straight toward my mare doing 35 mph and not slowing so I lose it and start screaming and flailing my arms like mad when the driver finally locks all four breaks up and screeches to a halt about 2 and1/2 feet in front of my mare, and then my mare started to walk to the ditch along the road where my other mare is and the doorknob of a driver just drives off between me and my horse like nothing happened, didn't even look to see if there was more horses loose.

they trotted most of the rest of the way back till they got to the neighbors then they turn in and let me catch them like nothing was out of the ordinary we led them back home and put them in their pen, as I took the halters off I rubbed them down and checked to see if they were warm and sure enough they were and their chests and necks were warm like they had been running for a while.

After I walk back to the house I start talking to my dad about the car that almost hit Angie, and he said he saw the car coming so he walked out in front of our BIG blue 1ton van that had it's hazard lights on and tried to flag the car down, my dad is 6?1? tall and wearing a large l.e.d. head light, so how he didn?t see my dad is beyond me but my dad said he just blew by like he didn?t see him and that?s when my dad yelled. The car was like maybe a 1980 Toyota ya know the real small 4-door model, so had he not stopped when he did it would not have ended well for him either.

So I said a few prayers of thanks, and count my blessings that nobody got hurt.

But it still scared the living tar out of me!

So has your body unclenched from the residual fear yet?

Having your horses loose is scary enough!

Then to have some idiot almost kill your horse!!!!!

[shocked]

[Huggy] Non-horsey people in cars are so ignorant about horses. They act like they can just go right around them as if they are another car, not taking into consideration that it's a live animal that could be afraid.

I'm so glad you got them back home without any injuries. Yeah, I'd be thanking the Almighty myself! [Huggy]

I know excatly how you feel. :twitch: We use hot wire fence and the deer love to take out our fence everynow and then. We've upgraded to hot BARBED wire since the last break out, all most 2 weeks ago, and they haven't gotten out since. We live on a busy road and I fear for my horses because of the stupid non-horse people that drive on my road. They got out a week before the last time and one lady, in an SUV, almost hit my dad's horse. She's sorrel and white and 15+ hands, kinda hard to miss her. I had to scream at the people 'trying' to help to not herd or chase the horses. When they do that it's harder for me to catch my mare, she's the alpha mare. Then I had to scream at the lady in the SUV to stop!!! You'd think they'd be able to see 3 horses in the middle of the road, but noooooo they're too busy talking on the phone, playin' with the radio, or yellin' at the kids in the back seat. I really dislike non-horse people and non-drivers, they really tick me off. [bang Head] I'm glad to hear you and your mares are okay, and hope they don't get out again.

[smiley Wavey]

SpiffyGrl

Edited by SpiffyGrl

two years ago we had our horses in a electric wire temp pen along our drive way. during the middle of the night someone pulled the posts out of the ground and unhooked the electricity so our horses got out onto the road. The worst is we have lots of trucks coming in at night and crazy people who drive like madmen. My cousin who was driving by almost hit one of the mares. He stopped and woke us up and help pen them up. man its the worst feeling in the world.

We use hot wire fence and the deer love to take out our fence everynow and then. We've upgraded to hot BARBED wire since the last break out, all most 2 weeks ago, and they haven't gotten out since.

Barbwire & horses?! Not a good combo! [Duh]

They don't bother the fence, barbed or not barbed. If it's hot, they leave it alone. They were only getting out 'cause the deer would take out the non barbed hot wire and it would no longer be 'hot'. The deer will have a harder time braking the barbed wire so therefore the fence will stay hot. They know to leave the fence alone, they are really good horses.

[smiley Wavey]

SpiffyGrl

Barbwire & horses?! Not a good combo! [Duh]

Barbwire is all we use for most of the pens cuz they also hold cows at certain times of the year and have no problems with it. It all depends on the horse. Most learn to respect it an have no problem.

Thank you, someone else who agrees. Barbed wire isn't that bad for horses. My horses know to leave it alone. It hurts so they leave it alone.

[smiley Wavey]

SpiffyGrl

:rolleye0014:

Dont roll your eyes its not very polite and remember its personal preference. I do agree with you that some barbwire can be dangerous ex loose and saggy wire yes its easy for a horse to get caught up in but in genearal fences that are properly maintain carry little danger. Even with plank fences a horse can get hurt. Everything has its ups and downs.

Yes.. BUT.. Majority of injuries reported have to do with Barbwire.. Like cuts, scrapes, leg gets caught & tendons get torn, etc.. I have seen very severe injuries cause by barb wire, & I'm sure most people agree with me on this, that barb wire around horses is just a BAD idea. I'm not saying that horses don't get hurt with wood fences, **** you lock a horse up in a padded room & he'll still find a way to hurt himself.. It's just more likely with barb wire fencing.. Me & my Paint mare, Kenya.. Have matching scars due to barb wire.. That's why I'll NEVER use it again.

Well, we don't have loose barbed wire. It' is tight and in sections, so if one sectiond loosens we only have to tighten that one section. It's only one strand of 'hot' barbed wire and so they know to leave it alone. I personally don't care for barbed wire, but my dad wanted to put it up and he pays for the fence, feed, and any other horse related bills. I didn't have much say so in the subject. I feed, ride, and do general maintance on the horses like call the vet, call the farrier, give shots, trim their hooves (when we can't afford the farrier), brush them out, and generally love on them. My dad just buys the stuff we need and I don't like fighting him on something he's already set his mind to. If you just don't like me ZestyLilThang, then just don't comment. If you can't say something nice, don't say anything at all. Thank you to those who agree with me.

SpiffyGrl