Sign in to follow this  
WhiteHorseAcres

Sawdust Bedding And The Dust It Brings

We bed our horse stalls with sawdust bedding. I like the fact that it is absorbent and comfortable for the horses. I don't like all the dust! It covers everything in the barn. The barn has really good ventilation and I don't worry much about the horses having problems from it, its just a cleaning nightmare! (Horses are turned out all day and stalled only at night. The barn is also very open with no overhead hay storage and windows and large doors are opened daily.)

I found eZall sells a product called Ultimate Dust Control. http://www.cashelcompany.com/ProductDetail...ProductID=10307

Has anyone used it for stall dust purposes?? Any other suggestions??

Are you using sawdust or shavings?? Shavings are bigger, less dust to deal with. Sawdust is just that...dust. Finer particles.

But i've never seen a barn WITHOUT dust and lost of it. Mine is all dirt floors, so dust is simply a fact of life. Can't help ya there.

HTTY & GBTUSA

BUMPER

I've never found a remedy for the dust. If you wet it down on top it makes it damp so, that's no good.

Shavings are a bit less dusty. I don't use either anymore since the labor of hauling it too much for me. I can get straw delivered so I like that.

I have dirt floors in my barn and I do hose them down for the dust but we tried sprinkling the sawdust on the track and it was a mess and the horses with sprinkled stalls wouldn't laydown in them.

We use the bagged kind which does have less dust. I've lived with the dust for years I just thought I'd pick some brains and see how others try to cope with it. :smilie:

I've also tried lightly spraying it down with water but it quickly dries with a light spray and gets too wet if you get heavy handed.

At least I know I'm not alone.

We used wood shavings in the past and the supplier was getting he's wood from Pella Windows and the started cutting back on wood windows so the supply was low. We have tried the pelted wood shaving and that was a dusty mess. Now we are using corn cob pellets, we have rubber floors throughout the barn. We only have to use two bags per stall and that will last a week. The horses are out during the day and in at night. It is so much easier to clean the stall, there is some dust but not as much as the wood pellets.

I tried sprinkling with water, and as pointed out above, too much water and they are ruined, not enough and they are dusty again in no time. I also tried spraying with veggie oil at my vet's suggestion. Yuck! Some horses ate it, it didn't absorb as well, and it stuck to stuff, like hooves and blankets and the wall! I ended up putiing a thin layer of sawdust down and a layer of straw on top of that. This is hard to clean, but it used up the remainder of the 40 yard load of sawdust I had.

There are these pellets that we used to use at my old barn. They come in a bag and you use one bag per stall (two if you want) then spray them down with water and the pellets separate and turn into non-dusty saw dust. I don't remember what they're called, but they worked really well.

Also, if you don't want to use the pellets... I agree with Bumper in using shavings, not sawdust. Shavings in my experience have FAR less dust than sawdust.

Good Luck [smiley Wavey]

We have tried several bedding products in our barn. For years, we were using bagged shavings. They became cost prohibitive and didn't absorb well. We sampled the pellets that you wet. That became costly also. We now have a supplier that was not as costly, delivers "sawdust" by the truckload, but it is verrrry dusty. I don't like it because the horses are covered with a layer of dust when you take them out of the stall. But, on the plus side, it does absorb very well. We have rubber mats under the bedding. Now that the economy is so bad, our bedding supplier is having some trouble keeping us supplied. He gets the sawdust from the furniture companies, and some from construction. We are thankful that we can get anything at this point. Not too many options out there that is in keeping within the budget. [bang Head]

Hmmm.....I also used shavings and I do not have a problem with dust. Can't help ya sorry!!

How cool though that your horses can enjoy a turnout all day long. If only all horses were so lucky!!